Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do i want to know what's up with the "kill the animals" meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Caller can you turn your radio down.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

senrath posted:

He beat his previous record by something like 3 minutes despite pausing in the middle to turn off steam notifications.

IIRC he said he was testing a new route so that may have done it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

honestly i just want to get to the fez run before i go to sleep because so much of that game's game time is spent on twiddling with its immense amount of puzzles so i want to see just how hard it gets broken.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

boo no friend spam

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

13/f/cali posted:

Yeah he was more "haha of course it was WR I have literally no competition" like he seemed chill and self-aware, and he did give his best, he just doesn't have a community really pushing him to better right now, maybe that will change in the future.

It reminds me of the LP of The Fifth Element that happened...last year? They actually said that their playthrough was WR pace because no one else would touch that pos

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Toxxupation posted:

UGH TIME PUNS

they're not even puns! it's just the word "time" over and over!

In a bizarre twist the run is unable to end because the runner cannot remember the word to say to stop the timer.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

It's a longtime bid war that changes the route of the end of Super Metroid. If you save the animals, it wastes time since it goes off the path of the final escape. There's also some wacky timeline theory about Other M or something.

I have no idea how it continues to raise as much money as it does, but it continues to year after year after year.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HoneyBoy posted:

Nobody has anything against this guy but this game/run was lame, long and repetitive

i mean i agree but that's outside of the runner, he needed a better couch (something he can't control) and a better game (something I guess he could but i could totally see the game being legit fun to watch if it gets optimized more)

like, dustforce is a boring rear end boring game to play but speedran it's fuckin' nuts

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Tollymain posted:

Not really a meme, its a vote to save or leave the animals at the end of super metroid.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Failboattootoot posted:

Run was ok. Definitely better than every second of non-hilarious gimmick zelda and mario they always cram into these.

:same:

I only watch the short/special SM64 runs, there isn't a single Zelda speedrun that's interesting to watch except for maybe LttP (the best game in the series) and even then I don't want to hear Link rolling for 2-5 hours or mario going YAHOO and the star jingle every other minute

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tollymain posted:

In Super Metroid, there's a point where you can either visit a room off to the side to save some animals, or skip the room and let them all die. It's a few seconds (?) faster to let them die, which is why people sometimes say "Save the Frames" instead of "Kill the Animals". For some reason it's become a huge donation war ever since they first started doing it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

symbolic posted:

So what's everyone's favorite GDQ run of all time? Mine is probably averagetrey's run of SMS at AGDQ 2015. I played the holy hell out of Sunshine back in the day and seeing someone get 120 shines in just 3 1/2 hours was amazing to watch.

The Quest 64 race was the first GDQ thing I saw and it's still probably my favorite.
Also pretty much any Super Ghouls & Ghosts run

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAbMyqOv_gk

Watch everything go wrong in a run with a man who refuses to give up, and a crowd and donation boost like a spirit bomb.

:agreed: #HugsForHenneko

Saw this live, the fact that he kept his cool and soldiered on when just about everything went wrong instantly made him a marathon favorite.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Is that Zoey from Left 4 Dead? Guessing she is exclusive to the PC version

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Tollymain posted:

I always wonder how many of the c.100,000 viewers are like you and don't know the big agdq meme, and how many of them get turned off by how much these nerds apparently want to kill animals

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

I think most of the Kill/save the animals donations are just people who couldn't take 5 minutes to scroll through the donation incentive list so just put a or b so their money goes somewhere.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's more people wanting to be part of a "thing" than just laziness.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

dustforce is a boring rear end boring game to play

:vd:

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

pandaK posted:

honestly i just want to get to the fez run before i go to sleep because so much of that game's game time is spent on twiddling with its immense amount of puzzles so i want to see just how hard it gets broken.

will phil fish freak out and demand some of the money that was raised during fez because if it wasn't for fez that money wouldn't have ever been donated?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

stringball posted:

will phil fish freak out and demand some of the money that was raised during fez because if it wasn't for fez that money wouldn't have ever been donated?

haha

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Fez isn't a video game

it's a art

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Aces High posted:

It reminds me of the LP of The Fifth Element that happened...last year? They actually said that their playthrough was WR pace because no one else would touch that pos

That was a good LP, I have to rewatch it

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

HoneyBoy posted:

Fez isn't a video game

it's a fart

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean seriously the art is dull and the platforming is just inconsistent enough to be infuriating, nothing's worse than a double S run being hosed up due to your dude deciding to stick to leaves instead of jumping off them

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

senrath posted:

I think it's more people wanting to be part of a "thing" than just laziness.

It's also a donation that goes towards the 2nd to last game of the marathon, and can be considered the climax of the marathon, followed by a long spooning with some random jrpg.

Of course, Zoast isn't attending, so anything involving Super Metroid will be second rate at best.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
yeah im not going to convince you otherwise

but, to blatantly contradict what i said about goons being too jaded, this game looks like awful monkeycheese poo poo

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

It's also a donation that goes towards the 2nd to last game of the marathon, and can be considered the climax of the marathon, followed by a long spooning with some random jrpg.

Of course, Zoast isn't attending, so anything involving Super Metroid will be second rate at best.

Aw man, and after beating his own records late last year, too. :(

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Haha

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

pandaK posted:

does it get broken to poo poo? because seeing fez puzzles solved fast sounds like a really boring run

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

does it get broken to poo poo? because seeing fez puzzles solved fast sounds like a really boring run

How long does Fez normally take? Because the time estimate for the run is 32 minutes, which sounds like it's more than just "do the game fast normally".

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

yeah im not going to convince you otherwise

but, to blatantly contradict what i said about goons being too jaded, this game looks like awful monkeycheese poo poo

The humor is pretty bad but the game itself is actually a lot of fun

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Erata posted:

Aw man, and after beating his own records late last year, too. :(

Ya, apparently it's his last year of school and he can't afford to take time off. He did say he was planning on attending SGDQ, so at least that one will be good.

I do wish the SM RBO was a race, though. The run itself is intense with required near-death tricks just to get down to Ridley first. As a race it would have been insane.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Klaus Kinski posted:

If it turns out to be boring then it's no big deal because,

senrath posted:

How long does Fez normally take? Because the time estimate for the run is 32 minutes, which sounds like it's more than just "do the game fast normally".

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I know it's too much to ask, but I want a repeat of what happened to Ivan 2 years ago (I think) where he almost got a record but lost it because he had to save the animals in a marathon.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
(legally distinct from) THUNDERDOME! (legally distinct from) THUNDERDOME! (legally distinct from) THUNDERDOME!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

senrath posted:

i honestly have no idea. it takes forever the first time you play through it because actually solving puzzles take time. slamdunking the answer to the minimum amount of puzzles required to end the game i dunno?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya, apparently it's his last year of school and he can't afford to take time off. He did say he was planning on attending SGDQ, so at least that one will be good.

I do wish the SM RBO was a race, though. The run itself is intense with required near-death tricks just to get down to Ridley first. As a race it would have been insane.

Cool. I hope his SGDQ plans holds up!
RBO would be fun to see since it's usually any%.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

fez is really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Kaubocks posted:

fez is really cool

well actually

• Locked thread