Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
phil fish is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Tollymain posted:

do i want to know what's up with the "kill the animals" meme?

At the end of Super Metroid, after you kill Mother Brain, there's a countdown sequence where you race to get to the surface before the planet explodes. There is a easter egg on the way -- a locked room that contains a bunch of intelligent wildlife. If you take the extra time to visit that room, you can shoot some blocks to make an escape route for them; the ending cinematic will change slightly to show them escaping Zebes before it blows.

Saving the animals is a waste of time (and thus defeats the point of speedrunning) but it's a cute feel-good thing.

Every year, GDQ makes it a donation incentive to choose whether or not to sacrifice a few seconds to save the animals on your way out. It brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars. For the last couple of GDQs, they've also had kill/save T-shirts printed.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

phil fish is cool

:gary: :wrong: :yarg:

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
To what degree do they try to choose games to run based off of how fun they are to watch/nostalgia inducing/popular in an attempt to get more donations? I remember there being a page where they had their reasons for rejecting each game, I can't remember where it is.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The most important thing about saving the animals is that it's Canon so you gotta do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

The most important thing about saving the animals is that it's Canon so you gotta do it.

Many people argue that is why you shouldn't do it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You should save them because of basic empathy :colbert:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I guess he'll never be the time of a major corporation.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Megafunk posted:

To what degree do they try to choose games to run based off of how fun they are to watch/nostalgia inducing/popular in an attempt to get more donations? I remember there being a page where they had their reasons for rejecting each game, I can't remember where it is.

I'm not sure if that's still available once the marathon is in progress, but it was on their website. https://gamesdonequick.com/

Nanomashoes posted:

:yeah:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Erata posted:

Cool. I hope his SGDQ plans holds up!
RBO would be fun to see since it's usually any%.

Id love it too, but I'm betting that SGDQ will be a 100% race. There have been a few route changes, and the standup glitch on mother brain has become standard.

If you follow Zoast, it's worth tuning in to watch. He's grinding to beat his own WR using the new route.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

took them forever to read my time pun donation. sent that in when the run started.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cowman posted:

took them forever to read my time pun donation. sent that in when the run started.

nice memes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Your Computer posted:

You should save them because of basic empathy :colbert:
On the other hand, killing.:kheldragar:

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Cowman posted:

It was very timely.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cowman posted:

they just needed to wait for the right...time :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Megafunk posted:

Here you go.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

that was about the TIME I muted the drat stream

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Nanomashoes posted:

Some people actually donate to kill the animals specifically because the plot of Metroid: Other M partially depends on them being saved, and Other M is terrible.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

Id love it too, but I'm betting that SGDQ will be a 100% race. There have been a few route changes, and the standup glitch on mother brain has become standard.

If you follow Zoast, it's worth tuning in to watch. He's grinding to beat his own WR using the new route.

Yea I usually only peek in on SRL or when the speedrun thread posts about imminent WRs. Dunno why I never followed him yet lol.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aww drat the Diablo runs aren't until Friday? And they're in the morning?!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ullerrm posted:

Some people actually donate to kill the animals specifically because the plot of Metroid: Other M partially depends on them being saved, and Other M is terrible.

No, the plot of Fusion depends on them being saved, and Fusion is a good game. You can't blame Fusion for MOM's mistakes.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

he's epic

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Hey, Actraiser music. Haven't heard that in a while.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

super metroid race is reverse boss order, just fyi

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

didn't the other guy turn steam offline what the hell are they doing there

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fez already starting off good with an incentive mistake and steam notifications.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Vulajin is a great runner and FEZ is a game that enrages goons so...

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
Say what you want about phil fish but Fez is a fantastic game.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I never played fez but I have a free copy, am i missing anything?

e-well that answers my question.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That long jump glitch was pretty neat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

On the other hand, killing.:kheldragar:

???

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Fez is great in that it's a fantastic game in all respects if you treat it normally, but if you're a Master Sperglord it has an insane amount of depth on top of that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you should always vote to save the animals because

1) every non-GDQ speedrun you ever see of Super Metroid will always let them die so it's fun to see them have to do something different for a marathon/charity and

2) it is fascinating to see how many people will argue that "if a world record is on the line, the runner should ignore the animals anyway because more people will care about a WR" as if ignoring the biggest donation incentive isn't the fastest way to make sure you never get donations for it again

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've never played Fez so what's with all the softlocks?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Cowman posted:

I've never played Fez so what's with all the softlocks?

The one that just happened is a joke by the game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

fez is a cute little chill out adventure puzzler platformer with fantastic music !!

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
So was that crash animation thing intentional or are they just loving with me? It looked like the standard "fake videogame crash" cinematic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

fez is a cute little chill out adventure puzzler platformer with fantastic music !!

I suppose I should try it even if the person who made it is literal garbage trash. It does look extremely fancy.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Zas posted:

super metroid race is reverse boss order, just fyi

Oh cool. Lookin forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I suppose I should try it even if the person who made it is literal garbage trash. It does look extremely fancy.

Ignore the Fish drama. He's a bit of a turd but a fantastic game designer.

• Locked thread