Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Repo Man posted:

Unfortunately most people know to just hit F9 and get your position data, then 11 people report you for griefing.

WELL THEY DO NOW. jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
After your team dies, is it also griefing to just run away forever (assuming you're in a robot that can do that)?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

GET OUTTA HERE OHSH, MECHWARRIORS ONLY

JEEZ

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
there can be only one

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

OhsH posted:

there can be only one

upvoted.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

OhsH posted:

there can be only one

The sensation I am feeling is the quickening.

In my pants

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

OhsH posted:

there can be only one

Im pretty sure there are two, at least from the picture I saw. Did you have an accident?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I am terrible at map strategy and in general.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

Im pretty sure there are two, at least from the picture I saw. Did you have an accident?

Pretty sure modern science hasn't developed a lens powerful enough to confirm that for sure.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

OhsH posted:

there can be only one

balls

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sard posted:

After your team dies, is it also griefing to just run away forever (assuming you're in a robot that can do that)?

You should do this in an arctic cheetah with 2x C-ER-LLAS & ECM and shoot once every minute after repositioning for the remainder of the match timer.

Bonus points if anyone is raging at you over in game VOIP.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Personally I believe they are a sad excuse of exploiting the game. When a team does nothing but volley at a distance and kill half the enemy team in a matter of minutes, it's no fun. My friend says that they won't do anything and I'm not expecting them to because they don't care (they have our money) but we the players should be better than this. We should play the game the way it was meant to be played, not some cheap easy mode/ lazy way. I just wanted to say my opinion and I'm sure others before me already posted similar stuff. GLHF Mechwarriors!

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218941-missile-boat-teams/page__pid__4925602#entry4925602

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TeeMerk posted:

Personally I believe they are a sad excuse of exploiting the game. When a team does nothing but volley at a distance and kill half the enemy team in a matter of minutes, it's no fun. My friend says that they won't do anything and I'm not expecting them to because they don't care (they have our money) but we the players should be better than this. We should play the game the way it was meant to be played, not some cheap easy mode/ lazy way. I just wanted to say my opinion and I'm sure others before me already posted similar stuff. GLHF Mechwarriors!

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218941-missile-boat-teams/page__pid__4925602#entry4925602

I like the people gushing about their amazing LRM builds.

:allears:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Whats with the alpine-hate?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Whats with the alpine-hate?

It's bad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

You should do this in an arctic cheetah with 2x C-ER-LLAS & ECM and shoot once every minute after repositioning for the remainder of the match timer.

Bonus points if anyone is raging at you over in game VOIP.

I actually did this on Saturday with a Raven, except I ran all the way to the edge of the map (Terra Therma) shutdown and waited for mechs to walk by and shot 3 of them in the butt, the whole time my team raging that it was against the rules.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've finally mastered (personal skill-wise) the art of the garbagecan. Shooting assaults and heavies in the rear end in a top hat with Large pulse lasers will never get old (and boy howdy do they get ornery about being shot down by an urbmech).

I'm looking to expand again into medium mechs. What's people's thoughts on the Vindicator? 1AA looks interesting. But if the resounding advice is to steer clear, which other medium is good (and reasonably priced)? Centurion?

e: vvv which variant? The 9-A looks like it could be good for brawling. Pack some SRMs and 2x MLasers on it. Stick with a standard engine. vvv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

I've finally mastered (personal skill-wise) the art of the garbagecan. Shooting assaults and heavies in the rear end in a top hat with Large pulse lasers will never get old (and boy howdy do they get ornery about being shot down by an urbmech).

I'm looking to expand again into medium mechs. What's people's thoughts on the Vindicator? 1AA looks interesting. But if the resounding advice is to steer clear, which other medium is good (and reasonably priced)? Centurion?

Vindicator is a bad mech. Go Cent all the way. Shadow Cats are fun too if you wanna be that guy who sits in the back the entire game, but they have barely any hard points. I like Shadow Hawks personally but they take some finesse to pilot because of how retardedly :pgi: tall they are.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Photex posted:

I actually did this on Saturday with a Raven, except I ran all the way to the edge of the map (Terra Therma) shutdown and waited for mechs to walk by and shot 3 of them in the butt, the whole time my team raging that it was against the rules.

Beautiful :allears:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I loving hate buying three mechs for mastery gently caress you pgi

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Stringbean posted:

e: vvv which variant? The 9-A looks like it could be good for brawling. Pack some SRMs and 2x MLasers on it. Stick with a standard engine. vvv

Griffins are so hot right now. I would recommend grabbing a Griffin, Cent, or a Hunchback. As Skoll mentioned Shadowhawks are fun but they're really tall and I would play a few other mechs before venturing into them.

If you have the cash to spend the medium mech to get is always the Stormcrow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

I loving hate buying three mechs for mastery gently caress you pgi

I generally don't mind when there are three good variants of the same mech with distinct quirks that let you tool them out differently, with functioning hardpoints. When every variant is bonuses to the same weapon types on three different stats in varying amounts with two of them having garbage hardpoints that make them unusable, it's a lot shittier.

The problem, of course, is that most of the time it's the latter situation and not the former. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 5, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
For the -3M, do something like this:

GRF-3M

and for the -2N, maybe this:

GRF-2N

play the -3M like a holy terror, circling around the opponent counterclockwise so you're giving them your left side -- then, when your left torso is open, switch to the right side so they have to chew through the arm. The -2N is more of an ambush bug.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is my SHD-2H that I do really good in. Fast enough to hunt lights and get the gently caress out of trouble, a good variety of guns that you can fire almost constantly without overheating, and the AC/5 is good if you wanna fire on people while you close for MLas and SRM fun.

Before people cry at the XL engine, I think I've died to side torso kills in this build maybe three times.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Skoll posted:

This is my [url=http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=13497d7f9f125295bf15b745982fbfbfb3357b24SHD-2H[/url] that I do really good in. Fast enough to hunt lights and get the gently caress out of trouble, a good variety of guns that you can fire almost constantly without overheating, and the AC/5 is good if you wanna fire on people while you close for MLas and SRM fun.

Before people cry at the XL engine, I think I've died to side torso kills in this build maybe three times.

But the XL engine!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I heard a lot of praise for the Marauder. My finger is hovering over the buy button for this thing. Considering the price is the same over all these mechs, should I consider the Rifleman/Warhammer over it?

Before anyone says "don't give them money", I'm going to give them money regardless.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

I heard a lot of praise for the Marauder. My finger is hovering over the buy button for this thing. Considering the price is the same over all these mechs, should I consider the Rifleman/Warhammer over it?

Before anyone says "don't give them money", I'm going to give them money regardless.

The Rifleman looks like it's going to be a lovely Jagermech with the way builds in this game work. I myself pitched $20 bucks for the standard Warhammer pack though, we'll see how that turns out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Stringbean posted:

Marauder right now is p. good. Rifleman will likely depend on quirks/hitboxes as it's currently a lighter Jagermech. Warhammer looks OK? You can do some big ballistic builds with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stringbean posted:

You're past the early adopter window for the Rifleman and Warhammer, so that doesn't come into play here. The Warhammer will be out soon, while the Rifleman will be another month or so. We have no idea what the quirks are going to be like on those mechs or how they are going to play, so that's a bit of a wild card as well.

The Marauder is a known entity at this point, and it's a pretty good mech. There are a bunch of good builds developed for it. It is also surprisingly tanky if you put an STD engine in it. The center torso is relatively narrow which means you generally have to eat through a side torso to get to it, much like the stalker. This can be bad or good . If you build out a lot of weapons into the arms it can be a pain in the rear end, but on the other hand there are a number of builds that have a shield side that can make it a hell of a brawler.

For what it's worth I have Marauders and I really like them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The early adopter stuff seems odd

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Also why don't they have the quirks listed?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Also why don't they have the quirks listed?

they haven't figured them out yet

which is unfortunate because quirks can make or break a chassis

like pre-quirk you NEVER saw Thunderbolts. They had nothing going for them

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

they haven't figured them out yet

which is unfortunate because quirks can make or break a chassis

like pre-quirk you NEVER saw Thunderbolts. They had nothing going for them

Seems like a huge dice roll on a chasis then

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yep. They keep the quirks in line with the available hard points but it's not a guarantee it wont make a mech poo poo.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

ZenVulgarity posted:

:pgi:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Where are you guys seeing marauders for less than the $80 package?

Anyway, Medium talk: You guys are forgetting the Blackjack, which is 45 tons of fun. I imagine it plays like Urbies big brother but I don't know from personal experience.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DiHK posted:

Anyway, Medium talk: You guys are forgetting the Blackjack, which is 45 tons of fun. I imagine it plays like Urbies big brother but I don't know from personal experience.

The marauder is one of the 20/40 packs. You're probably looking at the mauler,a 90 ton assault mech in the second resistance pack.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DiHK posted:

Literally the most you can spend on Marauders is $55.

You can get the base package for $20.

Great Beer posted:

The marauder is one of the 20/40 packs. You're probably looking at the mauler,a 90 ton assault mech in the second resistance pack.

Oh, yeah...that's probably it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yeah pretty much.

I mean some chassis you can tell are gonna be good even without quirk info. Everyone knew the Cheetah was going to be the Murdergod just by its combination of speed, ECM, JJs, and energy hardpoints

Others are kind of "quirk-proof". Stalkers are always going to be acceptable because of their high hard points and weird hitboxes.

Others really need quirks. The Black Knight was a huge piece of poo poo before they fixed the CT hitbox and gave it some decent energy quirks

DiHK posted:

The Blackjacks are crazy good. BJ-1X with 6ML/2MPL will melt anything, and it gets massive structure quirks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

What does the CW meta look like for IS these days?

I'm assuming that Clan is, artic cheaters, crows, twolves/hbringers, dwolves?

• Locked thread