Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zas posted:

super metroid race is reverse boss order, just fyi

There, uh, isn't a Super Metroid Race this AGDQ. It's just one runner doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Megafunk posted:

So was that crash animation thing intentional or are they just loving with me? It looked like the standard "fake videogame crash" cinematic.

Yeah, that one's part of the game. It does it again when you move to the "second quest" portion of the game where you gain a second perspective ability.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
This is a lot more technical than I thought it would be.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

you should always vote to save the animals because

1) every non-GDQ speedrun you ever see of Super Metroid will always let them die so it's fun to see them have to do something different for a marathon/charity and

2) it is fascinating to see how many people will argue that "if a world record is on the line, the runner should ignore the animals anyway because more people will care about a WR" as if ignoring the biggest donation incentive isn't the fastest way to make sure you never get donations for it again

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kaubocks posted:

you should always vote to save the animals because

1) every non-GDQ speedrun you ever see of Super Metroid will always let them die so it's fun to see them have to do something different for a marathon/charity and

2) it is fascinating to see how many people will argue that "if a world record is on the line, the runner should ignore the animals anyway because more people will care about a WR" as if ignoring the biggest donation incentive isn't the fastest way to make sure you never get donations for it again

Please tell me a record was lost because they saved the animals

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Fez's soundtrack is so good :stwoon:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

Agreed. It feels very serene.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

That happened

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gamma Nerd posted:

It's absolute garbage the ost doesn't have the rendition of that song with the sound effects intact.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Level Slide posted:

That happened

good on the runner for not ignoring the donation

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

voltcatfish posted:

I know it's happened at least once, and the runner proceeded to throw a fit and try to grind it back on his own channel.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

LOL that they treat those blocks like they're the hardest Mega Man Yoku rooms or something.

Seriously though, if you have the game or like what you see, go ahead and play it, it's tons of fun with so much to explore despite the ire the creator has brought on himself. Just keep in mind that if you aren't skilled in code breaking something like 30% of the game will require help if you want to do a full complete.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Please don't make fun of me when I speedrun :ohdear:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Doesn't Fez have some giant, cryptic puzzle nerds have still not managed to solve?

Things like that are cool.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Studio posted:

Iji owns Studio so you're all good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

Doesn't Fez have some giant, cryptic puzzle nerds have still not managed to solve?

If you complete the puzzle, flashing text pops up that reads "PHIL FISH RULEZ".

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Studio posted:

Nah dude Iji owns too hard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

For the record, how those little monolith puzzles work, as they didn't really explain it, is that one of the (several) secret codes in the game gives you directions for rotating the screen to make the anti-cubes appear. In New Game+ you get the ability to enter first person mode (further adding new perspective to the world) and the codes are hidden in the room somewhere, usually on the floor.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Studio posted:

When's HLM2 hardmode? :downs:
Good luck on the Iji run tho!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

"Don't choke" she says while he chokes on his water.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just got up and got mah coffee in time for Axiom verge. One of my favourite games in recent years, but I could never beat the hornet boss. Here's to seeing it completely destroyed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

People found the movements needed to solve the puzzle but not how you figure out the movements.

Fez "bad" ending is one of my favorites.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Good run. Vulajin and Co. continue to give good commentary. :D

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Axiom Verge is no ES Alpha but its still pretty good. cant wait for the eventual ES Alpha run at a future GDQ

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fez 2 is actually a massive ARG that nobody has solved yet.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Azazell0 posted:

Just got up and got mah coffee in time for Axiom verge. One of my favourite games in recent years, but I could never beat the hornet boss. Here's to seeing it completely destroyed.

I haven't finished Axiom Verge, should I still watch the speedrun?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Noted performance artist Philippe Poisson's behavior becomes more and more erratic as he struggles in this massive lie of a life he has created as part of FEZ 2.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DraconicImpulse posted:

I know it's happened at least once, and the runner proceeded to throw a fit and try to grind it back on his own channel.

do people like this understand what they're doing at an event like this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Noted performance artist Philippe Poisson's behavior becomes more and more erratic as he struggles in this massive lie of a life he has created as part of FEZ 2.
that's actually frog fractions 2

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nanomashoes posted:

Fez 2 is actually a massive ARG that nobody has solved yet.

It has to do with the time codes for every one of the 8 times fish has deleted his Twitter.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Phil Fish needs you to live FEZ 2. Run his DJ set through a spectrometer. Go to the moon and find what he has buried there. It's waiting for you.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Looper posted:

The human ego is an interesting obstacle.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

The human ego is an interesting obstacle.

Or maybe just a helping of the old 'tism.

e: this game looks hella rad.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

He we go!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Axiom Verge is a really good game. The combat falls apart in the last third of the game (underwhelming bosses, OP guns), but beyond that it does so many Metroidy things better than almost anything else.

I think it's going to be usurped by AM2R as Best Nu-Metroid On The Block later this year, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Having played through to full percentage completion of Fez 1 and seeing how esoteric some of the puzzles get, I would not at all be shocked if this turned out true. I suspect that Phil Fish is schizophrenic.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

This music! gently caress!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, dev commentary always cool.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

Tetris still gets backlash from some speedrunners for not being enough of a speedrun. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

Oh, dev commentary always cool.

Holy crap that was unexpected! This being a one-man-made game is pretty dang impressive and I can't wait to hear what he has to say about stuff.

• Locked thread