Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
"Come with me if you want to...erm...survive. Yeah. That's another movie. Sorry about that. That muscular dude looked like the one who was screaming to get to the chopper so I kinda just did a brain-fart there. So...um...wanna hang out, puny humans? Hunt some aliens?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Schaefer and Predator Warrior both have jump grabs like Haggar in Final Fight. Schaefer's is a literal powebomb and is the most damaging single move in the game. It can take out a bunch of enemies if you powerbomb one into a group.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
drat, I could've sworn I had made a Tim Schaefer joke, but I guess I forgot while we were playing. Even if I had, I'm wondering how many people know of those old Lucas Arts point & click games he made.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

AMovieReference posted:

drat, I could've sworn I had made a Tim Schaefer joke, but I guess I forgot while we were playing. Even if I had, I'm wondering how many people know of those old Lucas Arts point & click games he made.

That's the second-biggest gun arm I've ever seen!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

aw man, AvP is the friggin ironman of old school beat em ups. Seriously, this game is so hard, just because it goes on for like 873 levels, and half of them make you feel like you're up against the last boss.

Incidentally, the Jaguar game mentioned at the beginning was a completely different Alien Versus Predator. It was pretty crazy because it was like, the first fps to have versus mode, and they got really clever in that each of the three types plays totally different. But you're right that it's like, the ONLY good game on that system.

I thought that was the AVP we'd be playing so I was all excited. Not that this was bad, it definitely provided some laughs. But what a confusing communal title.

CHECK IT OUT WHO ELSE HAS FOND MEMORIES OF JUNGLE HUNT ON ATARI 800XL?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4wbEa3gdE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have played this many times thanks to the Taito collection on the PS2 (also where I discovered New Zealand Story) and I have yet to make it past the gator level. Ever.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

CHECK IT OUT WHO ELSE HAS FOND MEMORIES OF JUNGLE HUNT ON ATARI 800XL?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4wbEa3gdE

I thought the timer counted down by tens because you'd get its value as bonus points or something, but nope, just arbitrary point inflation.

According to the manual for the Atari 800 version, those are crocodiles, which makes sense, as alligators are only native to the US and China. There aren't, to my knowledge (i.e., my brief Google), any pink crocodiles (or alligators), though there are albino ones.

Also! If you really want to play an ooooooldschool game, Computer Space was the first arcade game ever. The user interface was a... bit unintuitive, though, so if you wanted to go that route, it'd be a good idea to prep. Also, Warlords would be great, but only if you can round up the full four players. (Another versus game you might like, since I'm thinking of it and since it does two-player: Rampart.)

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Also! If you really want to play an ooooooldschool game, Computer Space was the first arcade game ever. The user interface was a... bit unintuitive, though, so if you wanted to go that route, it'd be a good idea to prep. Also, Warlords would be great, but only if you can round up the full four players. (Another versus game you might like, since I'm thinking of it and since it does two-player: Rampart.)

I got some news for you buddy, I'm trying to find a solution for us to get a fourth party in for Warlords, as I'm just foaming at the mouth to play this game on the show. I'll have to play as something other than player 1, as I actually play that game very frequently (my school has a "Classics" arcade cabinet in the 3D arts area that I will play Warlords on between classes). I think the three of us could do it, but it just would be better if there were four.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Jesus, I don't know what Lemma is doing, but here's the video that came out yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2VB-nMh2A

It's a "Best of 2015" type of video, with a few (read: one) extra thing that didn't make it into the stuff put out last year. New stuff coming starting next Monday.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think the bit about 2nd Grader Nick telling his teacher about Chiller is the funniest moment in the whole thread to me.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

AMovieReference posted:

Jesus, I don't know what Lemma is doing, but here's the video that came out yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2VB-nMh2A

It's a "Best of 2015" type of video, with a few (read: one) extra thing that didn't make it into the stuff put out last year. New stuff coming starting next Monday.

Free spa weekend in the wilds of northern New Hampshire dawg.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

It's not a bullet hell, but the same company did invent the bullet hell with their future game V-V ("vee five"). As a big Toaplan fan, I must say that their two horiz shmups (this and Hellfire) are not their best games. This is definitely the better one, IMO, but the devs admitted in posthumous interviews that they didn't know what they were doing and were much better at crafting verticals. For sure, as their last 4 games (Tatsujin Oh/Truxton 2, Dogyuun, V-V/Grind Stormer, and Batsugun) are all masterpiece verts.

I think I like the Mega Drive version of Zero Wing better than the arcade. The graphics aren't as good, but the music is a lot better and the screen doesn't flash red every time you destroy something.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Continuing with Capcom's AvP, we've got part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4dV0bsAMw

We're about to start recording some more videos throughout the week, so hopefully if there are any requests, we'll look into recording them now so we can drop them sooner than later.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

We're about to start recording some more videos throughout the week, so hopefully if there are any requests, we'll look into recording them now so we can drop them sooner than later.

For ease of reference, here are the games I've suggested in the thread that haven't been used yet:
  • Bank Panic, a first-person shooter of sorts where you defend the Wild West's most poorly-designed bank from an endless supply of no-good bandits while being very careful not to shoot a customer in the face.
  • Blasteroids, which has a couple of neat features, including the ability to join your ships in a two-player game and have one player be a turret.
  • Gaiapolis, a two-person beat-em-up with a sort of overhead view. Has some unusual features, including a password save system in case you don't bring enough cash to finish in one go.
  • Galaga '88, my favorite of the Galaga series for nostalgia reasons. Be sure to go into the game's setting menu to turn continues on; I don't think they are by default. Oh, and don't let them capture your last ship.
  • Rampart, a sort of prototype turret defense game which has an excellent competitive mode. They made a version with joysticks and a version with trackballs, so make sure you get the right one.
  • Tournament Cyberball 2072. Nothing like a game where you pay for a fixed amount of time to suck the quarters! Plus you can get your players blown up.
  • Varth is a vertical shmup with a very handy feature: your bombs regenerate over time, and even regenerate faster if you wiggle the stick, giving you an excuse to use them regularly.

e: Also, the awful Alien game you were thinking of was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 5, 2016

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I don't remember Jungle Hunt, but I do remember Jungle King, which was pretty much exactly the same game. I don't know which one was a clone of which though.

FredMSloniker posted:

[list][*]Bank Panic, a first-person shooter of sorts where you defend the Wild West's most poorly-designed bank from an endless supply of no-good bandits while being very careful not to shoot a customer in the face.

The bank being poorly designed is definitely true. Fortunately, if you're not watching a any of the fifteen doors with a robber waiting behind it, they will wait patiently until you do come to them.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

FredMSloniker posted:

Bank Panic, a first-person shooter of sorts where you defend the Wild West's most poorly-designed bank from an endless supply of no-good bandits while being very careful not to shoot a customer in the face.

Jesus - this is probably the first arcade game I ever played, and I'd completely forgotten about it.

On that note: Speed Rumbler/ Rush and Crash, which I'd mis-remembered as "Russian Crash" for years. Nice music.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Still awaiting Crossed Swords.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

That was the first person Neo Geo one that wasn't The Super Spy, right?

Also, PLEASE DO NOT DO THE SUPER SPY. There's a longplay of that game and I feel sorry for the person who did that.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Yea

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I don't remember Jungle Hunt, but I do remember Jungle King, which was pretty much exactly the same game. I don't know which one was a clone of which though.

I think Jungle King was simply the Japanese title, or maybe the original title to be replaced with Hunt. In any case I seem to recall they are one in the same game.

Anyway here we delve into the exciting world of Korean knockoffs with Dragon Bowl, clearly a carbon copy of Eureka's Castle. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPYr8ZQ5IY

Gimbal lock posted:

Boy oh boy so many requests in the queue, we'll try to get as many done as possible in the next 48 hours. (But we also have some other wacky bullshit that no one's ever heard of but that will none the less bring delight to young and old alike.)

Hoss Corncave posted:

That was the first person Neo Geo one that wasn't The Super Spy, right?

Also, PLEASE DO NOT DO THE SUPER SPY. There's a longplay of that game and I feel sorry for the person who did that.

17 part Super Spy play through, coming up!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Anyway here we delve into the exciting world of Korean knockoffs with Dragon Bowl, clearly a carbon copy of Eureka's Castle. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPYr8ZQ5IY

Popo was the black guy from Dragon Ball Z, FYI. (Or, at least, the only black guy I know of, not having watched it. The creepy pseudo-blackface one.) The pervert actually pictured on the sign is Master Roshi.

Also, I checked a longplay of the game (because of course there's a longplay of the game) and one of two things is possible. Either you need to push up on the stick while jumping straight up at the highest elevation to catch the ledge, or you need to jump up directly in front of the dead tree holding the platform up. Obviously it's not worth another dollar to investigate, but the obstacle is clearable.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Man, when I saw Dragon Bowl, I was really hoping for some kind of wacky arcade version of Blood Bowl. I have a really sharp image of this in my head now.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Speaking of Dragon Bowl, the entire game is just stolen assets of everything. The sound effects were clearly Chun-Li from Street Fighter II, as well as the announcer. The gameplay was an exact copy of the Ninja Gaiden arcade game, and of course, none of the Dragon Ball assets are licensed.

None of this is terribly surprising if you've ever been to South Korea, where you can find pirated stuff being sold EVERYWHERE, with actual stores dedicated to nothing but selling pirated movies alone.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm really surprised you guys didn't play two player on this one. Especially since I'm pretty sure it'd be simultaneous being a Ninja Gaiden clone.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lemma posted:

17 part Super Spy play through, coming up!
Please don't. I beg of you. It would end the series permanently if you were to try this.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Eagerly awaiting the day when you get to my request of Gaia Crusaders. Seriously, it's a really great beat-em-up that's so damned obscure that sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who knows it exists.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, I think we got a number of requests done this time around. So look forward to the new stuff starting February (I say that as if new stuff isn't already coming out, but drat this poo poo is so old to us now.)

I suppose a little peak behind the curtain is necessary, but we normally like to all get together and play the games on a couch and switch the controller off, but the issue is that we all three live in completely different states now, so being able to do something like this, is a bit difficult to do terribly often. So we just sort of block out a week and record as much stuff as we possibly can, until we all hate each other and contemplate why the hell we're doing this show. I think this time around we got something like 40 episodes or so? (Which is freaking crazy). That's why we do "seasons". In Dragon Bowl, and like 2 or 3 others, we've attempted doing stuff over the internet, but doing the whole emulator thing online isn't where you'd hope it would be by now, so we have to resort to having just one player play. So we hopefully get around to playing all the requests the "right way" for you guys. I enjoy it more when we all can play, and I personally think it's more entertaining that way.

Anyhow with all that said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNYaWCzP4M

This was actually a cool game, and after all that explanation, you can likely guess how this one was recorded.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Simon The Digger posted:

Eagerly awaiting the day when you get to my request of Gaia Crusaders. Seriously, it's a really great beat-em-up that's so damned obscure that sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who knows it exists.

To be fair, the only reason I knew it existed was because I saw it on the front page of a ro... I mean arcade resources site. It reminded me of Sengoku 3 (and with good reason - both were made by Noise Factory), another scrolling beat-em-up that I had really enjoyed and decided to try it out. It's decent, but not as good as Sengoku 3.

Also, Sengoku 3 is far better than the original two, which I always loved for some reason, and I have no idea why because the gameplay was so dull. I also have no idea why I found the idea of the samurai with the cowboy hat amazing, but there you go.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Man those late 80s / early 90s games with graphics like metal album covers were the best. RIP Psygnosis.

On a related note as a child I bought a copy of the Amiga port of this game for £1 from a suspicous looking man at a car boot sale. It was a lovely bootleg and didn't even load, but I bought a bunch of games from my obviously legitimate businessman friend and 2 of them were OK. 2 games for a few quid was an amazing deal for a poor kid so I got a pretty good deal in the end :v:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AMovieReference posted:

Alright, I think we got a number of requests done this time around. So look forward to the new stuff starting February (I say that as if new stuff isn't already coming out, but drat this poo poo is so old to us now.)

I suppose a little peak behind the curtain is necessary, but we normally like to all get together and play the games on a couch and switch the controller off, but the issue is that we all three live in completely different states now, so being able to do something like this, is a bit difficult to do terribly often. So we just sort of block out a week and record as much stuff as we possibly can, until we all hate each other and contemplate why the hell we're doing this show. I think this time around we got something like 40 episodes or so? (Which is freaking crazy). That's why we do "seasons". In Dragon Bowl, and like 2 or 3 others, we've attempted doing stuff over the internet, but doing the whole emulator thing online isn't where you'd hope it would be by now, so we have to resort to having just one player play. So we hopefully get around to playing all the requests the "right way" for you guys. I enjoy it more when we all can play, and I personally think it's more entertaining that way.

Anyhow with all that said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNYaWCzP4M

This was actually a cool game, and after all that explanation, you can likely guess how this one was recorded.

A little surprised I have not heard of game before, it's made by Irem who did r-type and you can totally tell the use the same engine, neat concept

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
So Dragon Breed will finish off tomorrow, but for day we have more Street Fighter, but we're doing Alpha 2. Why Alpha 2? Because Keith is a gently caress. Also, with Street Fighter V basically being another Alpha game, it's a bit of a refresh on the characters and stuff in the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExGQ-LulZio

We'll be starting "Season 3" the beginning of February, and we tried to some cross-over stuff with other Let's Play dudes, to try to get our poo poo out there more, and occasional guest spots to help us do four player games properly. Plans for Season 3 is to make the intro shorter (like half the current length), and put up something a bit prettier for the end cards (with an actual end card) and have some audio to convince you guys to do the youtube thing (like, comment, subscribe, hail satan, etc.) Also, we're trying to do more 1-off style episodes, because as series go on, the views drop in half, so we're trying to keep it more entertaining for you guys. Some games will still be series (especially the hosed/funner ones), but a lot more one-off style games.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I always thought the chronology was:
Street Fighter 1
Alpha 1
Alpha 2
Alpha 3
SF2 (all versions)
SF4 (all versions)
SF5
SF3 (all versions)

Story wise, I would have preferred it if Alpha 3 was the last one with Bison in it, because it wraps up so nicely especially with Ryu's ending and everyone being linked somehow. However, they kept him alive and they keep bringing him back again and again and it's boring. I groaned when I saw him back for SF5.

I noticed you only doing level 1 supers. Supers in A1 and A2 were a little different to A3, as you could do a level 1 super by pressing one button, a level 2 super with two buttons, and a level 3 with all three. It was easier in A3 with level 1s being done with lights, level 2s being done with mediums, and level 3s being done with heavies. Also, every character has multiple supers (Akuma's others being hcb,hcb+P, qcf,qcf+P in the air, and the classic LP,LP,f,LK,HP). And then there are the custom combos that break the game.

Also, the AI falls into some stupid patterns at times. With Adon against CPU Ryu, you can do HK Jaguar Tooth, he'll jump up and do j.LK which will whiff, to which you can sweep him, then do HK Jaguar Tooth and repeat. Sagat has a similar pattern.

As for the champions, Valle, yes, but the other two. I'm not sure how good either of them were back in the day, while Wong made his name in Marvel. All I know about Sabin is that he plays Dhalsim.

Finally if you want to play the best SF game to date, try SFEX2+. It's such a fun game.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

I always thought the chronology was:
Street Fighter 1
Alpha 1
Alpha 2
Alpha 3
SF2 (all versions)
SF4 (all versions)
SF5
SF3 (all versions)

Story wise, I would have preferred it if Alpha 3 was the last one with Bison in it, because it wraps up so nicely especially with Ryu's ending and everyone being linked somehow. However, they kept him alive and they keep bringing him back again and again and it's boring. I groaned when I saw him back for SF5.

I noticed you only doing level 1 supers. Supers in A1 and A2 were a little different to A3, as you could do a level 1 super by pressing one button, a level 2 super with two buttons, and a level 3 with all three. It was easier in A3 with level 1s being done with lights, level 2s being done with mediums, and level 3s being done with heavies. Also, every character has multiple supers (Akuma's others being hcb,hcb+P, qcf,qcf+P in the air, and the classic LP,LP,f,LK,HP). And then there are the custom combos that break the game.

Also, the AI falls into some stupid patterns at times. With Adon against CPU Ryu, you can do HK Jaguar Tooth, he'll jump up and do j.LK which will whiff, to which you can sweep him, then do HK Jaguar Tooth and repeat. Sagat has a similar pattern.

As for the champions, Valle, yes, but the other two. I'm not sure how good either of them were back in the day, while Wong made his name in Marvel. All I know about Sabin is that he plays Dhalsim.

Finally if you want to play the best SF game to date, try SFEX2+. It's such a fun game.

Wong took 2nd place two years in a row at EVO against Daigo for Street Fighter IV. He also has that famous moment from SF3 (once again against Daigo).

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

For some reason, Dragon Breed reminded me that you guys should play King of the Monsters, and King of the Monsters 2. Best arcade games I ever wasted my childhood on. Period.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

For some reason, Dragon Breed reminded me that you guys should play King of the Monsters, and King of the Monsters 2. Best arcade games I ever wasted my childhood on. Period.

Before we started doing the show, Nick and I actually played through the first two King of the Monsters games. We can put it on the list, but god drat are the bosses incredibly difficult after a certain point.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

AMovieReference posted:

Wong took 2nd place two years in a row at EVO against Daigo for Street Fighter IV. He also has that famous moment from SF3 (once again against Daigo).

Also, when we were talking about playing against people from Asia, while I was living in Korea, I got a chance to go to the LG Cup and met a lot of the big dogs.

From the left to right: Vic "The Slick" (I haven't seen him do anything since), Infiltration, Fuudo, Daigo,Poongko, (unsure), myself, Justin Wong, and Mike Ross.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

To be fair, the Daigo moment however is famous because it was a clutch moment, and it wasn't a match winning game (I think it was the first game only), and despite being in Capcom Cup this year where he went 0-2 as most people predicted (it wasn't a surprise, Gootecks) he was pretty much in only because of the amount of tournaments he went to. I also kinda want to say that was due to how good Elena is. Don't get me wrong, he's a better fighting game player than me in a lot of games (he's free in Virtua Fighter though), and he will always be the best Marvel vs Capcom player, but while he's not washed up, he's nowhere near his prime either.

The pic is pretty cool though. Of the group there, I've only met Fuudo (as part of the VF5FS tournament at Evo 2012) and Wong (in the MvC3 Doom/Skrull/Trish/Chun build tournament where he beat me senseless in the quarter finals).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For reference, 'ouroboros' is pronounced 'ah-RAH-bohr-us'. (Oddly enough, Chrome doesn't know 'ouroboros', and suggested I might mean 'Borobudur'.)

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

Before we started doing the show, Nick and I actually played through the first two King of the Monsters games. We can put it on the list, but god drat are the bosses incredibly difficult after a certain point.

Well if it was easy to be king, it wouldn't be so sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
It's Monday again, so here's a new episode of MCIHAD! We've got another Data East game (I swear, half of these we didn't even know were Data East), called "Thunder Zone" or sometimes in other regions "Desert Assault". The game reminds me of something, but I can't quite pin it down for some reason. Anyhow hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civPtTXkbPA

• Locked thread