Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Niggurath posted:

I always thought that AccountingNightmare did a great job of being exceptional at the Devil May Cry series: http://lparchive.org/author/accountingnightmare or to go with some more recent, mkob is breaking Godhand to pieces with his skill: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720944

AN is ridiculously good at the Devil May Cry series, and it gets even sillier when you realize she's commenting live and not post (I think she mentioned she does a bit of post commentary when she realizes she's being too quiet, but I never noticed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powerfrog posted:

Towards the other extreme, what are some LPs where the LPer is clearly better at the game than 99.99% of people and it shows?

Melth's Civilization II LP.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Powerfrog posted:

Towards the other extreme, what are some LPs where the LPer is clearly better at the game than 99.99% of people and it shows?

Yoshesque plays a mean Bayonetta. If you’re already familiar with bayo 1 you can skip directly to her Jeanne playthrough

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

HenryEx posted:

This'll probably seem a little... "janky" by now, since it's an LP from 2009, but if you're looking for skill, you can't really miss out on James315's Battlefield 1942 LP.

Huh. I never expected to be into a multiplayer FPS LP, but this is immediately pretty entertaining. Thanks.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
WHOOPS WRONG THREAD

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 19, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

HenryEx posted:

This'll probably seem a little... "janky" by now, since it's an LP from 2009, but if you're looking for skill, you can't really miss out on James315's Battlefield 1942 LP. Yeah, an LP of a multiplayer game seems like a really bad idea, but he makes it work. Even when his side loses, he usually still tops the scoreboard. His voice is always calm and informative, and he explains most of the little tricks he uses to get an edge.

The most amazing video was the one with the Normandy beach map and the APC. He pulled off so many ridiculous things in that one.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got a good offsite LP for Until Dawn that's not about facecams and screaming? Ideally still a first playthrough tho.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got a good offsite LP for Until Dawn that's not about facecams and screaming? Ideally still a first playthrough tho.

Two Best Friends did a pretty good run of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

If you like Giant Bomb the East crew did the whole thing over a couple videos, it was pretty good.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Orv posted:

If you like Giant Bomb the East crew did the whole thing over a couple videos, it was pretty good.

GB East Playdates are premium though you need a subscription.

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo, could have sworn they used to show it even when you had premium, my bad.

E: Ah yeah, on the video itself but not the thumbnail, sorry about that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755698
This Warcraft 3 LP is a good LP, and it's actually alive now

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There was a megathread about LPing roguelikes a year or two ago. Does anyone have a link to it in the archives or did parts of it end up on LParchive?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

FPzero posted:

There was a megathread about LPing roguelikes a year or two ago. Does anyone have a link to it in the archives or did parts of it end up on LParchive?

:angel:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720568:angel:

All LP thread requests fulfilled in 5 minutes or less or your money back!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a new one. I'll definitely be checking it out later.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FPzero posted:

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a new one. I'll definitely be checking it out later.
Is the older one you're thinking of from agent355? Cause I do remember it, but I sadly don't have a link to it. You could maybe try hitting him up for the link?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Is the older one you're thinking of from agent355? Cause I do remember it, but I sadly don't have a link to it. You could maybe try hitting him up for the link?

This one?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What are the more informative LPs about Bloodborne/early Soul games

They always looked super interesting to me but I never had the consoles/controller for it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

frajaq posted:

What are the more informative LPs about Bloodborne/early Soul games

They always looked super interesting to me but I never had the consoles/controller for it

Genocyber has a good Bloodborne LP going on right now that focuses on story and atmosphere here.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thats exactly what I wanted, thanks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No problem, I'm enjoying it a lot. Keep in mind though that he doesn't update the OP often for some reason so the table of contents is very outdated. It only shows up to episode 5 with the 'newest vid' at the top being listed as 8, but the LP is up to I think video 10 now.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i want to find an LP that will make me cry

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Putty posted:

While this is likely to be a troll, the Planescape: Torment LP might be worth a try

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Emily is Away in the casual thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750711

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

It made ME cry.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Rappaport posted:

While this is likely to be a troll, the Planescape: Torment LP might be worth a try

rest assured, i am no troll

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Putty posted:

If you're willing to sit through a whole (good) LP to cry once at the end, there's Mother 3.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

It made ME cry.

But I thought we decided that Argate was Sadness?

PopcornSuicide
May 6, 2007
Would anybody happen to know if there are any decent demon's souls VLPs floating around? Would prefer a skilled play through.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

PopcornSuicide posted:

Would anybody happen to know if there are any decent demon's souls VLPs floating around? Would prefer a skilled play through.

There was Squint's old LP which had a few guest runs, including a punchyfist run.

TheWanderingNewbie did a newer one that had online co-op and a few other online features that weren't in Squint's LP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Slowbeef recently finished one on his youtube channel. Not sure how you'd define skilled but he gets, uh, less bad at the game eventually?

PopcornSuicide
May 6, 2007
Thanks heaps guys, will check them out now!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Are there any other 4X LPs that show a skilled playthrough instead of a written narrative? Something like the Civ2 Diety thread, though not necessarily to that extent.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Slowbeef recently finished one on his youtube channel. Not sure how you'd define skilled but he gets, uh, less bad at the game eventually?

I really would hesitate to recommend it as skilled. It's more a "first time" experience, IMO. Although I still maintain the arrow trap thing was pretty sweet.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know she's mentioned a bunch but KayPlays has a good blind playthrough of the Hong Kong version. She manages to cover the tendency events through luck with the servers.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

PopcornSuicide posted:

There's an "ongoing" one here on the forum, but it's been sitting at one video from the ending for 2 months. BB keeps getting himself in trouble elsewhere on SA, looks like. :sweatdrop: It's pretty comprehensive and he's solid at it, plus I'm in it for a few episodes it shows off co-op and invasions and whatnot.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Are there any other 4X LPs that show a skilled playthrough instead of a written narrative?

There was a short-lived Rise & Rule LP here earlier this year. It's a bad 4X game, but I think it counts? :v:

Caveat Youtube and all that, but Sulla is pretty good, and has some Civ 4 and MOO stuff up there. His website had a lot more (including screenshot stuff if that's what you prefer) but it looks like he let it expire.

There are a lot of 4X video LPs on YT, but for me at least they all run into the problem that "skilled" play usually involves repeating the same exploit over and over, which is really tedious to watch live. Melth can gloss over bribing all the AI in a paragraph, while BattleBunny (whose Colonization LP I was initially pretty into, what with a Dutch guy playing that faction and all) spent multiple videos abusing resetting trade with the natives to rake in cash and ignore the entire home country part of the game.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is there a good LP for original Silent Hill?

VVV Thanks, looking at it now.

pokie fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 6, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

pokie posted:

Is there a good LP for original Silent Hill?
Yup: http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill/. Voidburger is great.

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Are there any other 4X LPs that show a skilled playthrough instead of a written narrative? Something like the Civ2 Diety thread, though not necessarily to that extent.

Smite has a really great series on Civ V on his youtube channel where he plays through each civilisation and shows off different strategies that work with each civ's unique effects / units. The first series sets it up and he goes over a lot of the mechanics in a lot of detail, but some of the latter civilisations get a bit same-y.

Get Daved has a number of 4X games on his channel, which are generally pretty interesting, although I don't know if I'd call all of them "skilled" per se.

Getting a bit further afield (and I'm not sure if you'd class these as 4X exactly), there's also Arumba, who does a lot of Paradox games like EUIV or CK2, if that's up your alley, but they tend to be a bit dry. There's also the really good LPs of CK2, EUIII and Vicky 2 that were done by Kersch a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

manyleeks posted:

Getting a bit further afield (and I'm not sure if you'd class these as 4X exactly), there's also Arumba, who does a lot of Paradox games like EUIV or CK2, if that's up your alley, but they tend to be a bit dry. There's also the really good LPs of CK2, EUIII and Vicky 2 that were done by Kersch a few years back.

I've had Arumba's stuff on as background noise while doing other things every now and then for the past few months since, hey, he plays games I like. He is good at EU4 and capable of talking in a non-grating way so that's nice but he suffers from the usual youtube problem of absolutely no editing which is pretty bad when each game of EU4 takes 40 hours. His entire channel is basically unwatchable if you're not doing something else at the same time. Sometimes even then: he had an LP of the Cossacks expansion beta where he forgot to record live audio for a few videos ... so he just posted them silent since "there was nothing [he] could do".

I wouldn't recommend watching his stuff intensely in the hope you'll learn something if you don't already know mostly how the game he's playing works. As background noise while working or reading a book, something you just check in when it sounds like a fun war is on it's perfectly fine. Don't expect more than a twitch stream with no annoying overlay.

E: To actually recommend something: Cool Ghosts' Subterfuge Diaries finished a few weeks back and they are loving fantastic. Subterfuge, if not familiar, is kind of a real-time mobile Diplomacy, very similar to Neptune's Pride. This particular game features 8 video game journalists playing it for the first time over the course of a week, and getting increasingly paranoid. The diaries are more about the players and what they're thinking and feeling than the mechanics of the game, appropriately for a betray-em-up, so if you're one of those people that irrationally hates Leigh Alexander it might not be for you. The entire thing is fascinating, funny and superbly well made, like most things Matt Lees does.

Double-edit: I'm pretty sure that the Matt Lees-Quintin Smith Cool Ghosts are not LP forums poster Cool Ghost. Probably. Maybe.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 6, 2016