Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nalesh posted:

PSA on Mute: If you see mutes put down a barricade on top of his jammers, please don't break it unless you absolutely have to, it's to catch drones.

More generally, if someone's barricaded a door and you break it down to go through, just put it back up instead of being a dick. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mister Bup posted:

I've never had luck with using nitro to kill shields mainly cause he just insta-kills me with random hipfire. I also saw a guy 1v5 ace with quickscoping Blitz, pre-aiming the shot with the laser and then shooting as soon as the aim animation starts.

Agreed, this is something that needs to be addressed.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

More generally, if someone's barricaded a door and you break it down to go through, just put it back up instead of being a dick. :v:

I think players need to stop boxing themselves into rooms so often. I can see doing it on hostage because you aren't going to get cluster bombed or naded to death but every other mode its not necessary.

I've started playing defense pretty aggressively and its working out for me, attackers tend to expect you to stay in one location

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Duggler posted:

I think players need to stop boxing themselves into rooms so often.

You're right, but you should be talking with your teammates and asking them not to box themselves in, instead of just tearing barricades down and running off. :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

I think players need to stop boxing themselves into rooms so often. I can see doing it on hostage because you aren't going to get cluster bombed or naded to death but every other mode its not necessary.

The biggest offender to this is reinf between objectives on bomb. It usually ends up screwing you when they plant a defuser but you have no way into the room that doesn't involve breaking a barricade or trying to deal with your own metal walls.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The biggest offender to this is reinf between objectives on bomb. It usually ends up screwing you when they plant a defuser but you have no way into the room that doesn't involve breaking a barricade or trying to deal with your own metal walls.

Pubby defenders did this on Chalet, they put up two castle barricades up between bombsites and reinforced all the walls. We droned them to see which site had 2 guys, stormed them, and then casually sat back and relaxed while the defuser ticked down.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Basement on house is also bad for that. Even if you don't use castle it's easy to put yourself in a position where the attackers can take the weaker bombsite and force you to retake 3v5 with none of the attacker advantages for breaching.

Really, packing up in a single fortified room is the worst thing you can do against a group of guys specialized for breaching and clearing fortified rooms. The SMGs and shotguns are made for nasty guerrilla fights.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Strategically placing Tachanka on breakable walls (that have cameras on the other side or Pulse) works pretty well. There's an upstairs wall on the Biker bar map that you can just absolutely lay waste if you're far back enough and have good team scouting you.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.

VoLaTiLe posted:

I'm really enjoying this on PS4 if any of you goons wanna team up just throw Mr_Wibblesworth an invite

I'll add you assuming PSN is alive tonight. Will be coming from BurleighHead

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
With regards to shields, this is from the infographic they put out after beta.

I imagine that Fuze could skew that heavily because of cluster grenades and I'd be interested to see what the average changes to without him included.

I'm not sure what the best way to change shields would be, the core of the problem with them is that they're too good at creating safe/minimum-risk kills, which can be broken down into two parts: shield effectiveness, and weapon effectiveness.

Shields are only slightly less effective when ADSing, while pistols are as effective as any other weapon when it comes to blowing people's brains out(with all weapons having roughly equivalent benefits to ADSing), and the times involved in changes to effectiveness are incredibly small; the improvement to accuracy from ADSing is not instant but is as good as, and so is the opportunity for opponents to react and take advantage of it.

The issue seems to stem entirely from the way ADSing works with regards to it's timing, and it seems like the way to fix shields being super effective would be to quite drastically shift back the point at which accuracy is effectively pin-point

Generally speaking, the way shield users expose themselves while ADSing seems pretty reasonable, and if you've got people wandering around for prolonged amounts of time ADSing the pros and cons seem to balance out.

However, this is not how skilled players tend to play. You'll generally only see this from those who are new, less competent, or very over-confident.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Another thing that could skew it is that fuze doesn't need to use a shield, he has an assault rifle and an lmg too. and this is ubisoft so they probably didn't account for that.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Really the only shield operative I have problems with is Montagne. Recruits, fuse, and Blitz aren't as hard to deal with.

Abrahamsen
Jul 1, 2009
People will become better at dealing with shields over time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The only change shields need is reducing how quickly guns get full accuracy when adsing. That snap fire poo poo feels cheesy to use and be on the receiving end of. Their other problem is the instakill head shots, which is a game wide issue.

Oh, and Blitz's flash hitting teammates behind him because of lag and the server not updating player facing correctly sometimes.

It's not surprising that they perform so well. On their own they aren't particularly dangerous (and in montagnes case almost useless) but they massively improve an assault teams effectiveness. Which means the people using them are usually grouped together with their friends and using voice chat.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The problem with shields is their pistol goes laser accurate as soon as they push their ADS button, which can be before the animation plays at all, depending on lag, and definitely before the pistol is actually at a readied shooting position.

Also, brand new guys please don't play Castle on defense. You always end up boxing your team into the objective room. Pick Rook, plop the armor down and then go do useful stuff.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm pretty sure that infographic is pre-nerf anyway. That was back when shields had 100% accuracy on the first hipfire shot and basically no wobble when being shot.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The other day I was doing a hostage defense in the cubicles on Consulate(??) And a shield came in and I just sprinted around jumping over tables and poo poo while my teammate slowly got a good angle, shields usually only instant HS me when I'm standing still

So i guess my advice for taking on shields is try not to be alone, don't trap yourself and sprint a lot

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

That was back when shields had 100% accuracy on the first hipfire shot

:whitewater:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The glorious team of Buttes' Rainbow Shield. :madmax:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 5, 2016

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm pretty sure that infographic is pre-nerf anyway. That was back when shields had 100% accuracy on the first hipfire shot and basically no wobble when being shot.

That was like closed beta stuff

Also holy hell the cries on reddit to have Tachanka's LMG pierce shields are insane, not only would that be game breaking but christ the loving babies and their bad character.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It wouldn't be game-breaking and would actually make Tachanka kind of useful? At least against specific comps.

It's stupid that the MG doesn't penetrate shields.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i don't think it would be so bad to make a character counter another character, considering there are already a bunch of characters who deliberately counter each other

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I dunno, maybe his machine gun could penetrate the glass on the shield, but having him just be able to lol shoot through whole shield is silly.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
then cause it to stagger them (maybe they can't move while they're getting bombarded by the bullets from the MG) or get pushed back or something idk

it doesn't have to outright kill shields, it just has to have some sort of drawback of running into a room with a MG emplacement, with your shield up

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I say make it punch through the glass, but anywhere else will reflect the bullets back at Tachanka

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

making it so tachanka can pierce through the faceplate would atleast give you a reason to take it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Chocolate posted:

I think as people play this game more Mute won't be used as an anti drone operator but as more of an anti breaching operator. It's a lot to do before the round starts to place all of mutes jammers twice. I don't even bother trying to stop drones unless I'm in the garage on house or something for instance where you can stop all 5 with one drone sometimes. Mute is a better roamer than trying to stay holed up too close to the objective with his pretty good smg and speed. Bandit is a pretty good anti drone operator but then you run into a different issue with him. He's more suited to be a roamer than Mute but if you take barbed wire instead of the nitro cell and run into a shield far away from your teammates it can be hard to survive. I haven't played with goons much but I imagine the best defensive strategy is going to be 2 guys in or very close to the objective and 3 guys far away from the objective and coming in from behind.

edit: What do people think about IQ? I think she is pretty underrated at the moment, her gadget isn't nearly as useless as some people think. Being able to see sights and also being able to see through smoke is pretty nice, all of that on top of her speed is pretty valuable.

I've taken to dropping those as soon as the round starts and then taking care of walls, then moving around the anti-drone things behind walls to prevent charges.

Most bomb or hostage situations have 2 doors. 3rd entrances typically are windows, ceiling, between points, etc. I basically run out to plug the 1st two (with barricades on the doors), and the nearest stairs (obviously a lot easier when you are on the upper floors). Fall back and redeploy after a few seconds.

My goal the first few seconds of the round is to cost them as much time and as many drones as possible. If you prevented them from finding you, you pretty much successfully cost the attackers 30 seconds and probably forced them to check floor by floor.

It takes two seconds to run in and drop your gear to prevent breaches. I agree, if possible, I like to redeploy as anti-breach and go roam, simply because the attackers will see Mute's anti-drone gear and autoamtically assume he is inside.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Any ps4 people down to play?

E: if the servers weren't making GBS threads themselves

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 5, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Grump posted:

Any ps4 people down to play?

Yes, but later? Still cleaning up and won't be on for a bit.

Eljebus0 if anyone wants to add me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

General Morden posted:

then cause it to stagger them (maybe they can't move while they're getting bombarded by the bullets from the MG) or get pushed back or something idk

it doesn't have to outright kill shields, it just has to have some sort of drawback of running into a room with a MG emplacement, with your shield up

This is a good idea. Its a bit silly to waltz into a room and just stare at tachanka while he becomes a sitting duck. That MG is the heaviest firepower defenders have access to but its completely unusable between shields and the requirement to mount it in easily predictable places.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It should at the very least go through the same materials that Glaz can. Like Castle walls.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Plan Z posted:

IQ's got a few useful aspects to her:

-A gun with a 50-round drum that reloads as quickly as any AR.
-Can help find bombs if your team didn't find them in the prep section.
-She's useful in Terrorist Hunt, I guess.

She's not horrible, but the ability to see nitro cells isn't all that great now that nobody falls for stuff like that as easily anymore. Most of her advantages are negated by people just being good players. My best idea to buff her is to buff Kapkan by reducing the visibility of his traps like everyone asks. This will automatically make IQ more useful by virtue of her being a clear counter to a dangerous trap.

There was some game a long time ago that took "grazing" into account. For example, if you hit someone's arm more in the middle, it would do the full arm damage. If you hit them on the edge of the arm, it would do reduced grazing damage. It was a nice system that cut down on lots of hip-firing bullshots, but I can't remember the name of the game.

How about letting her disable some of the poo poo she finds with her wrist PC thingy

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man I suck at actually shooting dudes :(. But at least I'm good at bouncing grenades off window frames into my own team :shobon:.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

DatonKallandor posted:

It should at the very least go through the same materials that Glaz can. Like Castle walls.

Glaz can shoot through shield visors.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Putting the MG at one end of the skywalk on that map usually works for me pretty well. Either everyone is poo poo at aiming or the distance works in the MG's favour, because I keep pinning them down and forcing them to just leave the building after they take some losses.

If no one ends up coming you are still in a good position to shoot them in the back with the shotgun at the stairwell.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
I'm looking for people on PS4 to play ranked with. My user is TragedyOfCommons

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dead Like Rev posted:

That was like closed beta stuff

Also holy hell the cries on reddit to have Tachanka's LMG pierce shields are insane, not only would that be game breaking but christ the loving babies and their bad character.

Surely it'd make Tachanka actually worth taking once in a while rather than the current thing which is "hahaha, why the gently caress would anyone take tachanka?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

Surely it'd make Tachanka actually worth taking once in a while rather than the current thing which is "hahaha, why the gently caress would anyone take tachanka?"

It'd invalidate two characters because Tachanka's LMG is a two shot to the chest which means just aim at the middle of the shield and remove a character from their team, so no. Something should be done with Tachanka, but it isn't that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

How about give him that insane damage dropoff with pistols where it takes like twenty rounds to kills someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just got taken to 22 life by a fellow defender shooting a drone :)

• Locked thread