Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Geeze, I'm getting vanilla WoW flashbacks here.

For those that are new, what's going on?

Sword Oath and Shield Oath are the DPS and Defensive/Tanking stances for PLD respectively. A tank that sits in their tank stance 100% of the time is a Bad Tank because that's never necessary anywhere and tanks should be looking always for places to help contribute damage.

The two comments there are that the paladin is in sword oath when they think he should be in shield, and another guy mentioning slayer refers to him using str accessories instead of vit. Both completely ignoring the fact that A4N could be tanked in full dps gear and stance 100% of the time since it launched.

Basically the pld is trying to give helpful advice to not wipe the raid and two whirling balls of idiocy are ignoring him for the stupidest of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think we're all avoiding the main issue in that you shouldn't be playing Paladin anyways :grin:

But seriously, if someone told me to equip fending, I'd just tell them I don't have any fending right side gear (even though I do, but only use it for pvp).

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

seiferguy posted:

I think we're all avoiding the main issue in that you shouldn't be playing Paladin anyways :grin:

But seriously, if someone told me to equip fending, I'd just tell them I don't have any fending right side gear (even though I do, but only use it for pvp).

Vote kick this bad paladin

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

So, I picked up this game a couple weeks ago. Got a Dragoon up to 34 and having fun with it. Thought I might swap over to Archer/Bard for a little diversion since I always enjoy ranged action and support stuff in MMOs. Is this a terrible idea? All my bonus stats went to strength.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Hyperactive posted:

So, I picked up this game a couple weeks ago. Got a Dragoon up to 34 and having fun with it. Thought I might swap over to Archer/Bard for a little diversion since I always enjoy ranged action and support stuff in MMOs. Is this a terrible idea? All my bonus stats went to strength.

Bonus stats are set on a per class basis. Go hog wild. The game wants you to play and enjoy everything.

Except paladin, which is apparently meant to be a miserable poo poo show.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hyperactive posted:

Definitely give it a shot. Archer skills cross class with a lot of other classes (raging strikes and hawk's eye are the important ones though). I actually leveled up both archer and lancer to get their respective cross class skills for machinist and found Dragoon to be a super fun job to the point that I'll probably prioritize it when I get to 60 provided the Heavensward rotation doesn't drive me crazy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Definitely give it a shot. Archer skills cross class with a lot of other classes (raging strikes and hawk's eye are the important ones though). I actually leveled up both archer and lancer to get their respective cross class skills for machinist and found Dragoon to be a super fun job to the point that I'll probably prioritize it when I get to 60 provided the Heavensward rotation doesn't drive me crazy.

If you enjoy dragoon at 50, you'll like it at 60, the rotation doesn't get much more complicated. You have a buff you want to keep up 100% of the time, but that occurs naturally via you doing your rotation so long as you're remembering to actually use your 2 new combo abilities. Learning to use geirskogul without accidentally dropping blood of the dragon is the only hard part, in my opinion and don't tell anyone but if you really can't get the hang of it you can ignore it entirely and still perform respectably in 99% of the game's content

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you enjoy dragoon at 50, you'll like it at 60, the rotation doesn't get much more complicated. You have a buff you want to keep up 100% of the time, but that occurs naturally via you doing your rotation so long as you're remembering to actually use your 2 new combo abilities. Learning to use geirskogul without accidentally dropping blood of the dragon is the only hard part, in my opinion and don't tell anyone but if you really can't get the hang of it you can ignore it entirely and still perform respectably in 99% of the game's content

The way I handle it is to only use Geirthingy when I have at least 21 seconds, preferably 22 to be safe, left on the BotD buff after a fourth hit of a combo. Unless I'm in a fight with a lot of downtime and I know there's a part coming up where I won't be able to refresh the buff, such as the second boss of Neverreap with his totem nonsense, in which case I hang on to it. It's quite hard to keep BotD up when you're moving through packs of mobs if the tank isn't rushing, but it's hardly a big deal if you lose it on mobs. I don't really raid, so there might be a more efficient rotation for high end content, but I feel like I do pretty well. I don't use a parser but I've never had anyone complain to me about my DPS as a dragoon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking of, how exactly does Blood of the Dragon work?

I'm not a high enough level so I'm going off skill descriptions on websites. If the effect ends when you use anything but Wheeling Thrust or Fang and Claw, what's the point of the duration increase effect?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not a high enough level so I'm going off skill descriptions on websites. If the effect ends when you use anything but Wheeling Thrust or Fang and Claw, what's the point of the duration increase effect?

The effect doesn't end when you use other abilities. It lasts 30 seconds, and using either of the 4th combo abilities refreshes the duration. Geirskogul is the only ability that actively reduces its duration, otherwise it just ticks down like a normal buff.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Aphrodite posted:

Gierskogul doesn't end it, it decreases the duration by 10 seconds (I think it's 10. Haven't played DRG in awhile), so it's a game of keeping blood of the dragon from falling off while getting out as many gierskoguls as possible

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Ainsley McTree posted:

The effect doesn't end when you use other abilities. It lasts 30 seconds, and using either of the 4th combo abilities refreshes the duration. Geirskogul is the only ability that actively reduces its duration, otherwise it just ticks down like a normal buff.
Every time or once per Blood of the Dragon?

(also thanks for the Archer info, folks!)

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Initial Blood of the Dragon lasts for 15 seconds, and enables you to use Chaos Thrust or Full thrust fully combo'd to enter Wheeling Thrust or Fang & Claw. Using either of those two last abilities extends the current time of Blood of the Dragon by 15 seconds, meaning that if the timer is currently at 12 (which it will often be if you fire it right before CT/FT), it extends to 27. Geirskogul consumes 10 seconds of that timer, so you have to extend it again if you want to keep the Blood of the Dragon buff. It becomes a dance of knowing how long it takes you to get to the ability to extend the buff again safely while also being able to use the massive damage from Geirskogul.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hyperactive posted:

Every time or once per Blood of the Dragon?

(also thanks for the Archer info, folks!)

Every time, yeah (keeping in mind that you won't be able to cast either of them until you hit chaos/full thrust in your combo). Assuming no downtime in a fight, it's trivially easy to keep BotD up 100% of the time just by doing your rotation (which includes WT and F&C now), it just becomes a matter of practice of figuring out when you can afford to lose 10 seconds of it to Geirskogul.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The confusion comes from how FandC and WT are enabled. When you finish a combo, you get one of two buffs - separate from BotD - that last for 10 seconds and enable the use of the corresponding weaponskill. Both buffs (e: not BotD, just the WS enablers) immediately wear off if you use an on-GCD weaponskill besides the appropriate one of the two. It sounds complex in text but it's pretty intuitive to actually play, I think.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
After the end of your main combos, you'll get a randomly assigned buff called Enhanced Wheeling Thrust or Sharper Fang and Claw. The names aren't really relevant as only one weaponskill will be available. Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust are loving awesome, though. Make sure you hit those positionals!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Remember when Ravana EX was the dumbest fight in this game because dragoons dropped 200 potency off their attacks every time he did a mechanic? :allears:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So with all the World First groups disbanded who's gonna step up to plate

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's perfectly fine to click your skills if that works well for you.

But however well it works for you, key binding will be better.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Yugiri's English VA was found murdered in her yard. :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35235288

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kettlepip posted:

But however well it works for you, key binding will be better.

Not really. I'm much faster clicking a bunch of my skills than I am using the keys for them. I also haven't had to sacrifice any of my movement keys for new binds. I don't even have key binds for half of my skills because it isn't necessary. The skills queue up the exact same whether you click them or press a button.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm a lovely Jurgen so I just treat one of the Dragon like a buff and then you scare school once

DarkstarIV posted:

DarkstarIV posted:

Here I am trying to good dragoon poo poo post and I see this :smith:

Edit: what the gently caress Did my phone app due to this post holy poo poo

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DarkstarIV posted:

Her sons too. That's terrible. :smith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rip:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DarkstarIV posted:

That is some terrible news. :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ah, for gently caress's sake. =(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not really. I'm much faster clicking a bunch of my skills than I am using the keys for them. I also haven't had to sacrifice any of my movement keys for new binds. I don't even have key binds for half of my skills because it isn't necessary. The skills queue up the exact same whether you click them or press a button.

The GCD is super long in this game (presumably to make controller support better) so you can probably get away with it DPS/TPS/HPS wise, but your mobility is going to suffer.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

:rip: :(

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Man, that's horrible... :rip:

I wonder if the devs will mention something about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The GCD is super long in this game (presumably to make controller support better) so you can probably get away with it DPS/TPS/HPS wise, but your mobility is going to suffer.

It's also harder to weave in off gcd abilities too. You can squeeze in 2 per window with keybinds but you'd have to be a mighty fast clicker to do it with a mouse.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Holyshoot posted:

Why didn't you defend him? I feel like you could shut down an idiot ffxiv healer quite easily.

I told them to stop bullying him but the beta war already had switched gear. The healer made up for it by doing as much damage as the tank probably would have done with the str on.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I finally managed to get my Apocalypse Zeta done this morning, after many months of lazily working on it. Got all the achievements, and got the replicas unlocked, too. Then I promptly had it smashed into pieces to skip the first Anima step. :rip:

It's extra cold when you pay attention to the quest dialog. You're creating life by shoving tons of aether into a piece of equipment, attuning it, refining it, perfecting it, turning it into materia, putting THAT completed essence into a weapon made out of "one of the building blocks of creation", and then finally imbuing it with a consciousness.

It would be awesome if the new Anima weapon started talking to you at some point and, if you sacrificed a Zeta to start it, referenced its "past life".

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

I told them to stop bullying him but the beta war already had switched gear. The healer made up for it by doing as much damage as the tank probably would have done with the str on.

That's good. Usually they bully the tank and then do no dps.

Eej posted:

The Japanese one disbanded as well?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Holyshoot posted:

The Japanese one disbanded as well?

https://twitter.com/Darkwis00/status/684414276606414848

Loosely translated:

quote:

The reasoning for disbanding the raid group is because of management of the group and my personality was purely garbage. Therefore I would like to apologize to the members of the raid who got affected by this. It has nothing to do with if we in general have caused any trouble nor does it have to do with being bored with FFXIV. I would like to believe even after disbanding that we are able to build a new community with new members for Raid Composition in the future

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eej posted:

Death and Taxes will step up now that they dont have any competition maybe.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So you get bonus exp for classes with levels below your highest leveled class. Does that work for gathering and crafting classes too? If I sit around and fish a bunch until my fishing level is higher than my combat classes, will they get bonus exp?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Aphrodite posted:

My mobility is great because I use legacy controls and have all six of my movement keys still. I don't use my mouse for movement at all. At most I just have to swing the camera but that isn't a problem either.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also harder to weave in off gcd abilities too. You can squeeze in 2 per window with keybinds but you'd have to be a mighty fast clicker to do it with a mouse.

It's not hard at all to click two things between a GCD. Any skills that I would be clicking back to back are right next to each other on my hotbars.

I'm not super fast either like some twitchy starcraft player. It really isn't hard at all to put out top tier DPS using my mouse to click pretty much all of my oGCD skills and a few of my GCDs depending on what I'm doing at the moment.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Machai posted:

So you get bonus exp for classes with levels below your highest leveled class. Does that work for gathering and crafting classes too? If I sit around and fish a bunch until my fishing level is higher than my combat classes, will they get bonus exp?

No they will not. Your gathering classes might (I can't remember, been forever since I leveled one) but your combat classes most certainly do not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Amory bonus doesn't apply to crafting / gathering classes. That's why my botanist has sat at level 45 for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

seiferguy posted:

Amory bonus doesn't apply to crafting / gathering classes. That's why my botanist has sat at level 45 for ages.

Grand company turn ins. Use the seals to buy poo poo to sell. Normal quality items for GC turnins are almost always dirt loving cheap and you can usually find HQ ones that aren't bad either.

• Locked thread