Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

Isn't PSN under attack by some hacker group?

Nope, it was just Sony being Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Mercurius posted:

I hope you're happy that like, everyone, is going to be stamina sorcerers because of you.

It's so much more fun than anything else I've tried so far :shrug:

Great, now I'm debating doing Bleakrock isle for the fifth time in a few days in order to make a stamina mage

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

whys that? i'm having fun as a magicka sorc. stam sorc soumds pretty lame dude

e:lvl20 atm

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 5, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

any eta on servers?

Bearspeed
Nov 11, 2011

Accelerating to bear speed since 1988.

Nurel posted:

The archer stam sorc build seems pretty interesting.

Less burst, more control.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Krinkle posted:

Why is bolt escape a non-starter? It stuns people and there's a dual wield skill that does bonus damage to people who are stunned? I wanted that to work out, somehow.

More disclaimers: try all the skills available to you, do what's fun, and don't worry about any build advice until you're not having fun.

It doesn't really work out in endgame because they made the cost go up for each successive bolt escape to counter magicka sorcerers with 40k+ magicka zooming around in PvP. A stamina sorcerer with 10k magicka is just not going to have the resources to use it all the time. Go ahead and use it for now though, sounds fun. And you never know, maybe they'll add a stamina morph.

Nurel posted:

The stamina sorcerer build I posted is a melee build that gives good damage without being squishy. If you don't like melee, you're not missing anything.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 5, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

any eta on servers?

I hate to steal Scyantific's gimmick, but approximately 1pm EST according to the official forums. Just back-end upgrades, no patch or anything.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tgidieday posted:

More disclaimers: try all the skills available to you, do what's fun, and don't worry about any build advice until you're not having fun.

This is the single most important piece of advice anyone will ever offer regarding this game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just don't use a Bow or ennuiti (whatever his name is) will bowshame you.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm a dual wielding templar dark elf cause why not. I'm only at like lvl12 or so now. Do Templars get stuck only healing in dungeons/end game or could I fill other roles too? And how much will people laugh at my random mishmash of skills when I try to do fungal grotto(that's the first dungeon, right?) ?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Elendil004 posted:

Just don't use a Bow or ennuiti (whatever his name is) will bowshame you.

To be fair, the game itself bowshames you. :(

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Rufio posted:

I'm a dual wielding templar dark elf cause why not. I'm only at like lvl12 or so now. Do Templars get stuck only healing in dungeons/end game or could I fill other roles too? And how much will people laugh at my random mishmash of skills when I try to do fungal grotto(that's the first dungeon, right?) ?

Templars can do every role (tanking, mag dps, stam dps, and healing) well, and they're particularly good at helping other group members (healing and stamina recovery). A great all-round helpful class.

Group dungeons, especially on normal difficulty, don't require perfection to complete. And since doing them is the only way to get better at PvE, go ahead and give it a shot. You may run into some pubbies who blame you for the world's ills and ragequit, but that's because they're bad at video games. Just ignore them, or group with goons.

Aramek posted:

To be fair, the game itself bowshames you. :(

This guy gets it.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
So when someone says they use a stamina dps build, then they only really use weapon/guild skills or what? So if I'm mainly using magicka, should I not put point in my weapon skills?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
How is anyone supposed to sign up for their forums? I'm missing some sort of invitation code that never showed up in my inbox.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Flavor Truck posted:

How is anyone supposed to sign up for their forums? I'm missing some sort of invitation code that never showed up in my inbox.

If you have any sense you will avoid their forums like the plague.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Rufio posted:

So when someone says they use a stamina dps build, then they only really use weapon/guild skills or what? So if I'm mainly using magicka, should I not put point in my weapon skills?

The reason there are always separate stamina and magicka endgame dps builds for each class starts with something counter-intuitive. Normally, you think of a maximum resource as how many times you can use a skill before needing to stop (sustain). But in this game, skills actually do more damage with more maximum resource. Skill damage is proportional to (weapon/spell damage * 10.46 + maximum stamina/magicka). If a skill costs magicka to use, then it uses spell damage and maximum magicka. If it costs stamina, it uses weapon damage and maximum stamina. (If it costs neither, it picks the better of the two options and uses that.)

Early on, your weapon and spell damage are roughly the same and your magicka and stamina pools are roughly the same, so this damage dynamic doesn't matter. You can choose whatever skills you want and they'll do solid damage. But as you level up, you'll be making choices about where to put your attribute points, what gear to use, and what enchants to put on it. Eventually, the damage dynamic pushes you into either picking mostly magicka-based skills and maximizing spell damage and max magicka (a magicka dps build), or picking mostly stamina-based skills and maximizing weapon damage and max stamina (a stamina dps build). If you try a more balanced approach, thinking that drawing from both magicka and stamina pools will give you more sustain, you'll be doing less than half of your potential dps by v16. The game doesn't require perfection, but you're definitely going to notice a factor of two.

Every class has its own builds for magicka and stamina dps (often multiple), as many class skills have both magicka and stamina morphs. For example, the templar's puncturing strikes ability has a magicka morph (puncturing sweep) and a stamina morph (biting jabs). You could make a solid magicka or stamina build out of just these skills, and they would necessarily play quite differently from other classes. That gives enough variety that you could potentially level up all of your character slots with distinct interesting builds (although just stick with one at the start, nobody but me wants to do the same quest eight times in a row).

My personal advice is to ignore all this build stuff and spend levels 1-50 just putting random stuff together and seeing what you personally find fun (keeping in mind that some skills may only become fun after the morph). It'll be easier to start putting a build together in the veteran ranks, where you'll have skill points to spare and the experience for leveling skills is better. For example, most magicka dps builds have at least one bar that's dual wield or two-hander (for added spell damage and damage passives) or sword and board (for toughness passives). But those builds never use any of the skills, just the passives, so it would be a waste to level those skill lines up when skill points are scarce.

Scyantific posted:

If you have any sense you will avoid their forums like the plague.

I went on the forums for two seconds to check on the maintenance and just scanning the thread titles made me legitimately angry. It's actually impressive how vile they are.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Looks like they broke something and now PC NA has to wait for the PC EU servers to reboot. :psyduck:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:lol:

Sins of the father (company), etc.

E: PC EU crowd is going ballistic too. All of the delicious tears.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 5, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm just sad that this had to happen on my weekend. I want to play the game.

Oh, well.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Since the server is down, we could talk about some different vidjea games.

Tales of Zestiria is pretty great. I've got three VA buddies in it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Would be nice to have an ETA at least.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
They said a couple hours on Twitter. Not much of an eta, but better than nothing I guess. :v:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
EU is coming up now, and NA should be shortly thereafter.

e: Europäischer Megaserver für Wartungsarbeiten is now complete. Why does everything in German sound like Alan Rickman's boys are about to storm the Nakatomi Plaza? :ohdear:
e2: Aaaaand we're back.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 5, 2016

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Joined the fray in NA-EP - @Lairek could use an invite

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Nord Hero costume coming to the Crown Store at the end of the month.

ABOUT loving TIME YOU ASSHOLES

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Scyantific posted:

Nord Hero costume coming to the Crown Store at the end of the month.

ABOUT loving TIME YOU ASSHOLES
It looks really good, looking forward to it. It also looks like they're finally adding the remaining Orc and Nord scout armour and the Nord stuff looks really good in particular. There's also some nice Redguard stuff which seems intended for female characters but will also be spectacularly slutty on male characters as well if previous outfits are any indication ;-*:
http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/01/05/crown-store-showcase-january-5th-2016

Bonus points for the smug as all hell goat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

getting the goat

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dibs on the dogge. And ennu has dibs on the I Dream of Jeannie stuff by default.

generic metric
Jul 1, 2008

:yikes:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Well, Daggerfall has to spice up the game somehow! :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Don't doxx my secret DC guild please.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Hitlin did nothing wrong! Well, except make something too gross for Skyrim Nexus.

e: Dammit, I can't read. Enjoy my shame.
e2: Ok, pretend I said "Looks like someone's mad about the CP cap."

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 6, 2016

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Is there any way to know what items on the crown store are only available for a limited time (aside from the webpage announcement)?

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I've read that you can now play this game on PC with a gamepad, how good are the controls? Are they as good as FFXIV's?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So I haven't played too terribly much, I'm level 6 I think, but I'm having fun. Are there respecs in this game? I just don't know enough about stam vs magicka, and what's good. I just don't want to have to reroll if I get to endgame and my build is poo poo.

I know 99% of the fun in elder scrolls games is building and doing whatever the gently caress you feel like but since this is multiplayer it feels a bit different.

Right now I've done a stam, dual wielding elf NB thing on EP, i just haven't hit anyone up for a guild invite yet.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Combo posted:

So I haven't played too terribly much, I'm level 6 I think, but I'm having fun. Are there respecs in this game? I just don't know enough about stam vs magicka, and what's good. I just don't want to have to reroll if I get to endgame and my build is poo poo.

I know 99% of the fun in elder scrolls games is building and doing whatever the gently caress you feel like but since this is multiplayer it feels a bit different.

Right now I've done a stam, dual wielding elf NB thing on EP, i just haven't hit anyone up for a guild invite yet.

There are respecs, and they are cheap & easy.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

There are respecs, and they are cheap & easy.

Good to know, I figured there would be but you never know.

Other than chatting at someone, how do I know what my @ name is? Account name? I'll be in game later and will try to grab a guild invite.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Combo posted:

Good to know, I figured there would be but you never know.

Other than chatting at someone, how do I know what my @ name is? Account name? I'll be in game later and will try to grab a guild invite.
Yeah, it's whatever shows up in your account details as your account name. It's nice, actually, because drat near everything is account based including guild membership and chat usually uses your account name as well so it's easy to keep track of who's who.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Any of you PS4 lovelies have perfect roe you'd be willing to sell me? I'll pay 9K each and buy every one you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, I'm Vet rank 1. I want to start tanking but also still be able to level solo when my first aren't on. Any build advice? I'm an Orc Templer on PS4.

• Locked thread