Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My PTO just reset so I have a whole new bunch of time to burn, and I don't have to use any for the snow day today because the office is closed so I can WFH. A good Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

antisodachrist posted:

Things not pissing me off. I logged in today and found that I have another five days of pto added to my balance. I thought it was after five years, but it's after four apparently.

The opposite is pissing me off. I talked to our HR lady during our yearly benefits meetings and asked why I wasn't getting our higher PTO accrual rate since the wording is "Beginning with your fifth year and each year thereafter". Apparently this means after five full years. :v:

At least it's only four months until that's satisfied.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, the first twelve months is your zeroth year, and so on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I even made that joke to the HR lady and she stared at me like I was dense. :(

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

nitrogen posted:

We use Asana here and its awesome. Check it out. It's cancelled four weekly meetings by allowing people to see whats up.

Using asana necessitated an additional meeting for asana related chit chat. Can you loving imagine what that's like?

We're starting to use Slack. I can't wait to see what bullshit comes from that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

I even made that joke to the HR lady and she stared at me like I was dense. :(

Mathematics: Not even once.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

mewse posted:

Mathematics: Not even once.

BUT YOU HAVE NINE FINGERS TOO. COUNT THEM!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
On the first work day of the year, my boss got canned. His boss has no idea what he actually did (neither do I tbh, I just got the poo poo he didn't want to do) and the whole plan is to "await mails and phone calls and see what happens". There won't be a replacement. 2016 is shaping up to be quite interesting...

Tomorrow I get to go through his e-mails and see what he was up to :unsmigghh:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Punc posted:

On the first work day of the year, my boss got canned. His boss has no idea what he actually did (neither do I tbh, I just got the poo poo he didn't want to do) and the whole plan is to "await mails and phone calls and see what happens". There won't be a replacement. 2016 is shaping up to be quite interesting...

Tomorrow I get to go through his e-mails and see what he was up to :unsmigghh:

Watch: he'll have a bunch of PM notifications from SA.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I need the absolute most cutting edge devices (Ipad pro). Affecting production blah blah blah.

I don't know how to delete an app from my phone (the email program we use), you need to come over and do this for me right now.

I wish I was embellishing, but this idiot demands immediate in person service for every little thing. New management has been a nightmare with their non-standard requests and literally daily phone calls asking where their new toys are (backordered by someone who isn't us).

You can tell who actually has work to do and who is browsing catalogs looking for the new item to hassle us for all day.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Friday our wonderful dogshit system locked up because two orders had the same PO number. You know the drill, a customer calls and places an order and they just use their name or some poo poo for the purchase order #. This has happened like 5 times before and I asked for it to be fixed 5 times before.

Why would you require a user to come up with a unique number anyway? Your system should generate it.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
It is TYOOL 2016. I shouldn't have to have debates about whether we should use structured cabling in a bloody datacentre.

'But that's the way we've always done it'. gently caress off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Messyass posted:

Why would you require a user to come up with a unique number anyway? Your system should generate it.

No, the customer should give us a unique number every time they place an order. Some people will just give the purchasers name. So all of my orders have the PO 'Bob'

The problem with that is that customers don't want to pay if they don't have a matching PO #. They should give us the PO # they are issued from their accounting department. Whether you fill one out online or you go grab a stack of carbon PO forms, you're going to get a unique PO for your company.

What happens with us is that our sales people are whiny cry babies and they won't make our customers do that. So when ACME corp hasn't paid an invoice for $5,000 because "Bob" isn't a valid PO #... Accounting gets in a big fight with sales and because the owners wife is in charge of sales, sales always wins. This is a management issue...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

No, the customer should give us a unique number every time they place an order. Some people will just give the purchasers name. So all of my orders have the PO 'Bob'

The problem with that is that customers don't want to pay if they don't have a matching PO #. They should give us the PO # they are issued from their accounting department. Whether you fill one out online or you go grab a stack of carbon PO forms, you're going to get a unique PO for your company.

What happens with us is that our sales people are whiny cry babies and they won't make our customers do that. So when ACME corp hasn't paid an invoice for $5,000 because "Bob" isn't a valid PO #... Accounting gets in a big fight with sales and because the owners wife is in charge of sales, sales always wins. This is a management issue...

Relying on customers to input unique numbers is a bad idea. What if two customers choose the same number?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

baquerd posted:

Relying on customers to input unique numbers is a bad idea. What if two customers choose the same number?

It sounds to me like this is the "customer's reference" field, i.e. only supposed to be unique per customer. So accounting can link the foreign invoice to their own purchase order. Which is why the customer is supposed to supply it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zephirus posted:

It is TYOOL 2016. I shouldn't have to have debates about whether we should use structured cabling in a bloody datacentre.

What the gently caress do they plan on doing? Wiring up a rats nest from day one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

baquerd posted:

It's unique per customer like nielsm said.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zephirus posted:

'But that's the way we've always done it'. gently caress off.

At what point do you start using patch panels, etc. When you have more than one cabinet?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bob Morales posted:

It's unique per customer like nielsm said.

Ya, a "normal" system would handle this by making the order id (which should be unique) and the customer PO (which can be anything) the driving key. So that no matter what fuckery the customer uses for their PO, the order id keeps it unique in the home system. Tieing the PO to customer id alone is a recipe for trouble without having control over the customer's PO generation "method".

Good luck Bob.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

porktree posted:

Ya, a "normal" system would handle this by making the order id (which should be unique) and the customer PO (which can be anything) the driving key. So that no matter what fuckery the customer uses for their PO, the order id keeps it unique in the home system. Tieing the PO to customer id alone is a recipe for trouble without having control over the customer's PO generation "method".

Good luck Bob.

Somewhere along the line someone created a web app (LAMP-based) for vendors to enter invoices in. Then it's imported into the AS/400 system from there. That's where the locking up comes from, the main system isn't robust enough to handle that. Which is one of the millions of reasons why we are loving switching.

This is the same system that has crashed because there was a blank line entered in somewhere, and the system it came from (another LAMP-based shitfest from incompetent web-dev shop) doesn't sanitize any input.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

At what point do you start using patch panels, etc. When you have more than one cabinet?
Whenever connections need to go from one rack to another. You don't route patch cables between cabinets.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Whenever connections need to go from one rack to another. You don't route patch cables between cabinets.

That's what I thought. Old job had servers hardwired into switches under the floor and to the other side of the room.

like 200lbs of strain there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Re: PO number chat. Your system should use a unique number called something like "order number", your customers should supply a purchase order reference which could be a text string, numbers, whatever. If your customers have a system that lets them generate duplicate PO numbers then that's not something your system should try to prevent, but it also shouldn't fall over when it happens.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah we still have way too many connections routed that way. I'm doing my best to get poo poo in order here, but when you inherit 7 racks full of 8 years worth of mistakes it takes a while to unfuck.

My biggest problem is that the entire datacenter was built with 600mm wide racks (with no panduits or similar between them), so there's very little room for proper cable management.

e:
Please tell me the fiber on the right isn't as strained as it looks?

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 5, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

That's what I thought. Old job had servers hardwired into switches under the floor and to the other side of the room.

like 200lbs of strain there

I just threw up in my mouth a little. :barf:

Here, this is the layout of a small datacloset we just did after an office move, just to counteract that poo poo:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DigitalMocking posted:

Here, this is the layout of a small datacloset we just did after an office move, just to counteract that poo poo:

Looking real nice. Do you have LEDs installed to light up your fiber trays/switches?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

:fap:

Thing of absolute beauty.

Admin here replaced core and access switches just before I signed on. He had a great opportunity to implement cable management and promptly shoved everything into the switch as fast as he could so he could go him.

It's a loving mess but at least things are labelled.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

Is that an Accedian TE in the middle right?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Moey posted:

Looking real nice. Do you have LEDs installed to light up your fiber trays/switches?

Yep, we're going to redo our main datacenter later this year with the exact same layout.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DigitalMocking posted:

Yep, we're going to redo our main datacenter later this year with the exact same layout.

Welp, now I have something to add to my racks.

What product you using?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Filthy Lucre posted:

Is that an Accedian TE in the middle right?

Good eye, yes it is.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Moey posted:

Welp, now I have something to add to my racks.

What product you using?

Because the budget left was 0 dollars for that move (because engineers all NEED CAT 7 TO THEIR DESKS YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGINEERING) we just wound up using cheapo white LED strips (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-300Leds-5630-Cool-White-Super-Bright-LED-Strip-SMD-Light-Waterproof-12V-DC-US-/381211596789?hash=item58c1fb57f5) and ran them through PVC spraypainted black between the wire management.

We're talking about doing something geekier for this building when we revamp, maybe color changing, something with an arduino, because nerd.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DigitalMocking posted:

Because the budget left was 0 dollars for that move (because engineers all NEED CAT 7 TO THEIR DESKS YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGINEERING) we just wound up using cheapo white LED strips (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-300Leds-5630-Cool-White-Super-Bright-LED-Strip-SMD-Light-Waterproof-12V-DC-US-/381211596789?hash=item58c1fb57f5) and ran them through PVC spraypainted black between the wire management.

We're talking about doing something geekier for this building when we revamp, maybe color changing, something with an arduino, because nerd.

Nice, I just started browsing and figured something DIY would be much more fun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We currently have patch cables going between racks and I would love to get actual panels set up but I doubt it's going to happen because of the downtime it would require.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Pissing me off, my address use to be a cisco warehouse used for warranty repair and such. We get random deliveries once a month ranging from the small to the super expensive cisco items from customers. Getting cisco to take them is a pain in the rear end.

EMC just sent 30x 10gig SFP's to this location and I am tempted to just keep them as I am needing a bunch. I imagine that these are going to sit on the shelf for a few months to see if anybody ever gets around to contacting us. Of all the people I would mind ripping off the least it would be cdw.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

EMC just sent 30x 10gig SFP's to this location and I am tempted to just keep them as I am needing a bunch. I imagine that these are going to sit on the shelf for a few months to see if anybody ever gets around to contacting us. Of all the people I would mind ripping off the least it would be cdw.

EMC sent them, or CDW?

CDW duplicated an order of ours, like 3 months after getting the initial order. About 2 weeks later, we got a nice bill for it.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

Good eye, yes it is.

How do you like them? We use their GT model quite a bit, but I'm always curious what other people's experiences are.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Ynglaur posted:

Watch: he'll have a bunch of PM notifications from SA.

He didn't :(

Also strange, no phone calls or mails for him came in today. Maybe everyone waited a day to allow us to get organised (we didn't get organised).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

EMC sent them, or CDW?

CDW duplicated an order of ours, like 3 months after getting the initial order. About 2 weeks later, we got a nice bill for it.

Sorry, CDW. I was on a call with EMC as I was posting that.

CDW sent the items to the wrong location. As far as I can tell these modules are brand new and they were attempting to send them to CISCO. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

Sorry, CDW. I was on a call with EMC as I was posting that.

CDW sent the items to the wrong location. As far as I can tell these modules are brand new and they were attempting to send them to CISCO. :iiam:

Can't hurt to hold onto it and see what happens. I assume they will figure it out at some point.