Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The one after Nin2 also looks adaptable, if not for the mecha literally being blocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

mateo360 posted:

we won't really know until about summer or Power Morphicon at the latest.

Given how we learned about Dino Charge as early as Febuary, that seems like a likely announcement date.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xelkelvos posted:

The one after Nin2 also looks adaptable, if not for the mecha literally being blocky.

Minecraft Sentai Blockenger!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SKY COQ posted:

Didn't Saban suggest they'd find a way to use the Go Busters footage in some capacity? It seems like such an easy win, particularly with the triple dino squad crossover episode that also randomly features the Busters.

I think the official statement is that "elements of Go-Busters" would show up in Dino Charge, and one of the theories is that Heckyl is supposed to be the equivalent of Enter from Go-Busters due to the goggles.

Most of Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters was the Kyoryugers running around with AbaRed and Tyranno Ranger while the Go-Busters did their own thing anyway so it probably isn't that hard to cut the parts with the Go-Busters in it. They may just not adapt it anyway though since it seems like Saban isn't willing to pay enough to make it worthwhile for older actors to come back most of the time, at least according to what some of them have said regarding Super Megaforce. They could just do all in-suit footage and pay minimal amounts having the original actors just record some lines (or just random voice actors) but if they've resorted to that it seems like just not adapting it at all would be easier and cheaper.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Once again, Linkara wasn't kidding. He's just released the History of Power Rangers Megaforce.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I agree with basically everything he said in his review, never saw the extended cut of the Super Megaforce finale but them leaving in the final battle with Mavro is odd considering almost half the teams showcased were never in Power Rangers.

I have to agree with him that some of the choices were mind-boggling, such as the choice to shoot an entirely original fight scene with Levira and changing VulEagle to the MMPR Red Ranger but not changing any of the other suits. Just...why? What was the logic behind this?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think he goes on too long about certain things, but I had to stop it because he just mentioned that the guy that plays the Jungle Fury Red Ranger also wrote that tribute episode and some episodes of the season and that's pretty amazing. "I will write myself here and make the only good episode of the anniversary season" is a pretty great thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Megaforce is worse than I thought, and I left hard after that episode where Troy kept going "But our weapons! Our precious weapons!"

(Not to mention the original footage of that was literally the opposite, and for some reason chose that episode of all things to showcase that morale).

The show also had a super major boner for recreating scenes from the original footage series, including making Noah a swordsman with a training montage because...Joe of Gokaiger was a swordsman with a training montage.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tae posted:

Megaforce is worse than I thought, and I left hard after that episode where Troy kept going "But our weapons! Our precious weapons!"

(Not to mention the original footage of that was literally the opposite, and for some reason chose that episode of all things to showcase that morale).

The show also had a super major boner for recreating scenes from the original footage series, including making Noah a swordsman with a training montage because...Joe of Gokaiger was a swordsman with a training montage.
Something that I found really wierd is that Jake is a completely different comedy relief character to Doc and they possess far different levels of competence. It's pretty stupid that he just becomes such a goober.
Also I just wish that they had just tried to recreate Gai for Silver. The gigantic mega fanboy is a far more interesting character to survivor of his race and the Gokaigers would blow off Gai fairly often before they accepted him.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cast shots from the new series. Four of the five characters will be in animal suits. Get ready for Power Rangers Jungle Furry.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think he goes on too long about certain things, but I had to stop it because he just mentioned that the guy that plays the Jungle Fury Red Ranger also wrote that tribute episode and some episodes of the season and that's pretty amazing. "I will write myself here and make the only good episode of the anniversary season" is a pretty great thing.

It really is kinda stupidly incredible;' whilst I thought some other episodes of Megaforce were alright, Jason Smith's work basically shows the sheer difference what someone who knew about the show(s) being honoured, and had good motivation (in his case, the fact it was his own drat series) to ensure they were being honoured properly, could have made for Megaforce as a whole.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The astounding thing is

It's still better than Overdrive.

God drat Overdrive how are you so aggressively *AWFUL*

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Astro Nut posted:

It really is kinda stupidly incredible;' whilst I thought some other episodes of Megaforce were alright, Jason Smith's work basically shows the sheer difference what someone who knew about the show(s) being honoured, and had good motivation (in his case, the fact it was his own drat series) to ensure they were being honoured properly, could have made for Megaforce as a whole.

Jungle Fury has risen in the past few years to be my favorite season of the Disney Era, and really close to my favorite in general.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Senerio posted:

Jungle Fury has risen in the past few years to be my favorite season of the Disney Era, and really close to my favorite in general.

I saw the first five with my girlfriend a while ago, I liked it well enough but she wasn't all that into it, this post reminded me to keep going and oh man, Tony the frog mushroom monster trying to hook up with the dancing monster is pretty great. :allears: any season that has an episode about the emotional lives of the monsters of the week is a great season in my book.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'll say it: I didn't mind the sunglasses. I felt they made sense because they wouldn't stand out nearly as much as the Sentai Morphers.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

The astounding thing is

It's still better than Overdrive.

God drat Overdrive how are you so aggressively *AWFUL*

At least Overdrive kinda gave half a poo poo about the veteran Ranger characters it brought back :shrug:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I honestly can't say either part of Megaforce is better than any other season of the show.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

JT Smiley posted:

I honestly can't say either part of Megaforce is better than any other season of the show.

It's a shame, because Gokaiger was 100% awesome every step of the way. Captain Marvelous is easily my favorite Red, and a really fun character in general, and I'd say the rest of the cast was right up there with him the majority of the time. Silver's intro arc was really endearing, and his stupid all-colors Roll Call sold me on him instantly. The villains weren't all that interesting, but I was super on-board with their aesthetic.

It was a shame to see them dump all that potential on a Mega Force sequel. "Lol I guess we're pirates now"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah Overdrive at least tried to do it's own thing and the whole Mack being a robot story was interesting. Samurai, despite being a near carbon copy of it's source material at least had a clear structure and what new additions they did add were neat (Hell, I maintain that the whole Dayu/Dekker relationship was actually handled better in Samurai than it was in Shinkenger). Megaforce on the other hand is just soulless and you can tell almost nobody involved in the production really cared about making a quality show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

At least we are now at Dino Charge land with interesting characters and a fun dead villain.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

One precedent I can kinda appreciate Megaforce 'starting', as such (though given the format of the two seasons, one could argue it really did just ape previous main finales) is actually having the break between the two Nick-imposed seasons end in a finale of sorts. The Samurai/Super Samurai break, whilst ending on the Dekker duel, didn't really resolve the actual plot all that much; Megaforce's ended with its only recurring villains up to that point defeated, with the promise of escalation to a new threat. Now Dino Charge's has ended with the bad guys seemingly defeated, and the rangers parting ways - but there's enough dangling plot threads to promise new stories. In a sense, it breaks up the classic issue that Power Rangers has had where it might seem the Rangers don't make that many gains over the course of 30-40 episodes - now, they quite clearly do, but the job isn't done yet.

So hyped for the next season.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Testekill posted:

Also I just wish that they had just tried to recreate Gai for Silver. The gigantic mega fanboy is a far more interesting character to survivor of his race and the Gokaigers would blow off Gai fairly often before they accepted him.

The problem was they couldn't go that route because they apparently wanted the Power Rangers to be "myths" that nobody had ever heard of before despite the countless huge battles against evil villains and alien invaders to the point that Angel Grove had frequent newscasts about what Rita was doing. Which made Mr. Burley's character especially ridiculous. "I believe that aliens exist!" Well yeah, considering that they have repeatedly attacked earth in the past, it's basically proven fact.

You could still have a Gai-like character though, and the circumstances would even fit with what Megaforce was trying to do. It'd have to take place on an alternate Earth where there were no Power Rangers, and Gosei was sent there by Zordon to protect it if evil ever appeared. Then Warstar shows up, the first time any supervillains have ever attacked Earth, causing him to create the first team of Power Rangers on that Earth.

Gai would be someone from the main Power Rangers universe who somehow gets sent to that dimension for whatever reason, recognizes they're using the powers of the past Rangers, and knows all about them as he's seen them all in action (except RPM I guess, that one's still the odd one out).

It would give actual reasons for nobody having heard of the Power Rangers before, it would give Mr. Burley a reason to be seen as a crazy kook for believing in aliens, and it would explain why the other Power Rangers are just sitting on their asses instead of helping to fight the huge invading armada. The only problem it would create is making it difficult to do tribute episodes like the Jungle Fury one, but given that they barely did any tribute episodes anyway it isn't that big of a deal.

You'd still have the terrible Megaforce problems of Gosei giving them constant power ups for no reason and it wouldn't make the characters themselves any better but at least the setting would make sense.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Twelve by Pies posted:

The problem was they couldn't go that route because they apparently wanted the Power Rangers to be "myths" that nobody had ever heard of before despite the countless huge battles against evil villains and alien invaders to the point that Angel Grove had frequent newscasts about what Rita was doing. Which made Mr. Burley's character especially ridiculous. "I believe that aliens exist!" Well yeah, considering that they have repeatedly attacked earth in the past, it's basically proven fact.

You could still have a Gai-like character though, and the circumstances would even fit with what Megaforce was trying to do. It'd have to take place on an alternate Earth where there were no Power Rangers, and Gosei was sent there by Zordon to protect it if evil ever appeared. Then Warstar shows up, the first time any supervillains have ever attacked Earth, causing him to create the first team of Power Rangers on that Earth.

Gai would be someone from the main Power Rangers universe who somehow gets sent to that dimension for whatever reason, recognizes they're using the powers of the past Rangers, and knows all about them as he's seen them all in action (except RPM I guess, that one's still the odd one out).

It would give actual reasons for nobody having heard of the Power Rangers before, it would give Mr. Burley a reason to be seen as a crazy kook for believing in aliens, and it would explain why the other Power Rangers are just sitting on their asses instead of helping to fight the huge invading armada. The only problem it would create is making it difficult to do tribute episodes like the Jungle Fury one, but given that they barely did any tribute episodes anyway it isn't that big of a deal.

You'd still have the terrible Megaforce problems of Gosei giving them constant power ups for no reason and it wouldn't make the characters themselves any better but at least the setting would make sense.

I think they could have done alright with re-painting Gai as like a conspiracy nut. He knows all this poo poo about the Power Rangers' battles and villains, and has the true identities of some of the older groups narrowed down to like a handful of people each. Give him a good flashback of seeing Megaforce transform from behind some debris and just being like "I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!" and then not be able to bring himself to out them on his blog because it's not the right thing to do, or something.

Oh well, wasted potential :shrug:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Megaforce just seemed like a series based around making all the wrong possible choices. Like taking 2 shows with nearly 100 combined episodes and condensing them down to less than 50. Having a first half centered around introducing weapons and zords that only get used once or twice. Keeping the Gosei suits around after they gained the Gokaiger powers. Introducing the Gokaiger suits and zords out of nowhere half way through the series even though they always had access to them. Just randomly using Sentai team footage and not even bothering to have an explanation or name for them.

Hell, I can't think of a single improvement MF made to the original source material at all. Even the theme song was a re-hash of a re-hash.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Or you could just take Gai's personality/fanboy tendencies and transplant it on an American actor.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My biggest problem is they continued the tradition of super generic OST. Simply replacing it with the gokaiger tunes would've made it less distracting in how hollow it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9zTUruqxk

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

My biggest problem is they continued the tradition of super generic OST. Simply replacing it with the gokaiger tunes would've made it less distracting in how hollow it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9zTUruqxk
No actually that's still loving awful.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
"No, not ultra, super mega!"

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The music is better but John Williams couldn't save this poo poo if he tried. I wish they had just kept the Gokaiger premise of mostly selfish assholes who are taught to be true heroes by their predecessors

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Or you could just take Gai's personality/fanboy tendencies and transplant it on an American actor.

Having American Megaforce Silver be the only guy who seems to know who the Power Rangers are in a world where seemingly nobody else does would be kind of amusing even if all he did was point out the awful writing in the series. "You guys seriously don't remember when Astronema and Dark Spectre nearly took over our world? The Galactic Space Alliance? What's wrong with you?"

I always found it funny in a series where they literally introduce powers that are used once and never again, that Megaforce skipped Mystic Brothers from Goseiger which was basically the same thing. Maybe they thought the ostrich was a bit too weird for the series. I also enjoyed how they didn't acknowledge Datas at all when they formed the Megaforce Ultra Megazord or whatever they called the combination with all the Headders in Megaforce (that they only used once).

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Venomous posted:

Once again, Linkara wasn't kidding. He's just released the History of Power Rangers Megaforce.
What the hell happened between Megaforce and Dino Charge that the show quality skyrocketed?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fired the guy who can't budget correctly, hired an old pr writer that everyone likes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

MadScientistWorking posted:

What the hell happened between Megaforce and Dino Charge that the show quality skyrocketed?

Chip Lynn happened

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Should I actually give Dino Charge a watch? Because I really loved Torin and am super bummed he got replaced with whatever the hell that is.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Should I actually give Dino Charge a watch? Because I really loved Torin and am super bummed he got replaced with whatever the hell that is.

DC is awesome and not Torin barely shows up at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MadScientistWorking posted:

Previous head writer got sacked hard for making a mess out of Megaforce, like almost everything that was bad about it could be laid at his feet(and rumor has it a lot of the higher ups weren't happy about Megaforce either, both at Saban, and at Bandai), same with all the bad parts of Samurai, and a lot of the other seasons he worked on before Saban got the rights back, while his replacement is generally agreed to be one of the best writers the franchise ever had (I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure he's the one behind RPM being so good)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RPM had a brand new guy at the first half, then apparently got fired due to going over budget and over schedule, at which point Chip Lynn was brought in.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, they brought Lynn back, making him head writer and executive producer. It was very deliberately a fan assurance move, and I imagine Lynn is making the best of the opportunity.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh man, I'm watching Jungle Fury and so far this has been pretty fine with some extremely cheesy moments. Particularly episode 9 "good karma, bad karma" in which we go to Dai Shi's past in order to erase his humanity, so we see the day a kid in his grammar school stole test answers and the bird monster goes "you didn't look at the answers. Why?" "I didn't wanna cheat, cheating is bad." I just had to pause it right there hot drat what a heel. I guess he retroactively made Dai Shi cheat, or have the feel of cheating, in order to truly make him evil. Amazing.
"They'd let me play in the barn when my parents weren't around, which was often :argh: " i just love this guy

Finished ep 12 and the villain stuff is incredibly interesting.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 3, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
One of the reasons I like Jungle Fury is because it's as much about Jarrod's growth as a character as it is about Casey/Theo/Lily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Senerio posted:

One of the reasons I like Jungle Fury is because it's as much about Jarrod's growth as a character as it is about Casey/Theo/Lily.

It's pretty interesting how they establish Jarrod possessing a noble heart as the season goes on and learning humility at the end. It's honestly a great way to cap off a characters arc.