Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ya know? I don't usually remember Eva as an anime with great faces, but drat does this episode sure have some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

thank you

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 5, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

please no i just noticed the error on the right side

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love the first shot of Asuka in the series. Summarizes everything you need to know about the character through purely visual means.

Very Wellesian, classical framing by Anno here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lets hang out posted:

please no i just noticed the error on the right side

Fix it and post it again and I'll quote it big again.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

a kitten posted:

Hello, Asuka. You're the best.

Right after Rei.

Who's right after you.

...it's complicated ok.

Asuka is indeed awesome, but I do have to give some love for my boy Kaji flashing his :smug: mug around for the first time. Misato's reaction alone was worth that. "Is she still... wild in bed?"

Some really great comedy these last two episodes, and what a great job both episodes to at building the characters of Misato and Asuka- we learn that Misato, for all of her Sailor Moonishness in private, is superbly capable and take charge when disaster strikes, and and that Asuka, while abrasive, impatient, and arrogant, really does have serious combat skills to back that up. They rose to the challenge and saved the day... but even amidst that celebration is the undercurrent that our heroes are not as in the know about things as they think, even about their own organization.

(And yeah, I was following along last week as well, I just... don't have a ton of things to say about Rei at the moment.)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

:agreed:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
watching this two episodes at a time has shown me a bunch of themes between each pair I didn't consciously pick up on.

this week: people having pretty legitimate complaints about what nerv is doing, and shinji not longer being such a sad sack

I never noticed the brief cracks in asukas bravado as she realizes exactly what she signed on to do

e: how is asukas german in the jp version? I totally forgot what it sounds like

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

darealkooky posted:

I'm no German speaker, but...poor from what I can tell.

Speaking of voice acting: I'm not sure if I've watched the entire series subbed before this. I know I've watched pieces of it this way for sure, but the "default" voices in my head seem to be the dub's. Since I've always been a Subs Only kind of guy, it's kind of a weird feeling.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you've watched the rebuild movies more recently than the tv series that could be throwing you off, a lot of the voice acting in them is deeper because well, everyone is 10 years older

darealkooky posted:

watching this two episodes at a time has shown me a bunch of themes between each pair I didn't consciously pick up on.

this week: people having pretty legitimate complaints about what nerv is doing, and shinji not longer being such a sad sack

I never noticed the brief cracks in asukas bravado as she realizes exactly what she signed on to do

http://a.pomf.cat/wjdwlg.webm

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Hmm, interesting. the dub pretty seriously re-writes the german into something that works way better

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

Hmm, interesting. the dub pretty seriously re-writes the german into something that works way better

what the gist? I never got that far in the dub and also I don't speak german

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'm not really great at putting a my thoughts into words, but this is definitely a lot better than 8 year old me remembered it being. The atmosphere that's been set up is enchanting in this sort of depressive, soul crushing kind of way. I definitely feel a load of empathy of Shinji, a lot of time I can't help but thinking I would be the exact same emotional wreck in these kind of situations, and while that leaves me with an intense hatred for Shinji, it's only because I can see so much of myself in him.

It's very good even if it's basically just tying me up in knots right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I genuinely think that the majority of the dislike for Shinji comes from empathising a bit too well with him to be comfortable, rather than not enough.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Sakurazuka posted:

I genuinely think that the majority of the dislike for Shinji comes from empathising a bit too well with him to be comfortable, rather than not enough.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. One of the reasons I liked Evangelion so much when I first saw it as a kid is because I saw so much of alienated, depressed me in Shinji.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Kensuke's face when Touji starts talking in posh Japanese to Misato.

E: Some of these backgrounds look like Bob Ross paintings

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 5, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really love Asuka's goofy German. Because it's the only language I kind of know and hearing someone with a thick Japanese accent speak German is probably how German's think I sound and that's a humbling feeling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

B-baumkuchen?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Somehow I'd gotten it in to my head that Gendo's affection for Rei was feigned as part of his master plan, but rewatching episode five it certainly seems a lot more genuine than I remember.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
At the risk of sounding like a dummy, was the entire conflict in episode 7 created by Gendo so that it would appear to the world that NERV saved the day and proved its detractors wrong?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's the implication at the end, yeah. Some of the early signs of Gendo's manipulative tendencies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Equeen posted:

At the risk of sounding like a dummy, was the entire conflict in episode 7 created by Gendo so that it would appear to the world that NERV saved the day and proved its detractors wrong?

That was the implication I got from it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Equeen posted:

Gendo and Ritsuko, yes. The NERV saving the day part was unintentional though, as Misato was not in on the plan. Presumably the original plan was just to have Jet Alone almost having a meltdown before suddenly stopping for unknown reasons, and then claiming it is unsafe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Equeen posted:

Yeah, the plan was basically to discredit the Jet Alone project. If you were being generous you could say that since the Jet Alone was pretty much doomed to failure from the start they were doing it to avoid a much more serious disaster but still.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Ah, okay. Thanks guys! :)

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
The non-canon Jet Alone Prime looks pretty cool, as opposed to the regular Jet Alone.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I just can't get over the way it runs with its arms waggling back and forth, it's so silly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was during one watch of the JA episode that I invented the word 'flobbily' to describe its arms.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

weee

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it deserved to die

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It had about as much dignity as its inspiration, Jet Jaguar, which is to say none.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It was like a very clumsy and stupid child that just happened to have a bomb in its backpack.

I enjoy touches like that, where a threatening thing is also really dumb. See also Robocop's ED 209.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna gets me an angel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

darealkooky posted:

Found a clip with Asuka's German in eight different language tracks...including German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkt_Nwu3vLw

1) Japanese
2) English
3) Italian
4) Português
5) French
6) Russian
7) German
8) Spanish

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I like jet alone because despite being an ultraman rip-off jet jaguar had a cool mask + also jet alone's arms and legs remind me of the robots from laputa, another design I am a fan of

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

a kitten posted:

Found a clip with Asuka's German in eight different language tracks...including German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkt_Nwu3vLw

1) Japanese
2) English
3) Italian
4) Português
5) French
6) Russian
7) German
8) Spanish

German version is best version:
"System language: German"
"Initiate activation sequence."
"Establish neural connections and begin LCL filling."
"Brainwave and synapse fine tuning positive."
"Begin synchronisation..."

It has the finest techno babble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I like jet alone because despite being an ultraman rip-off jet jaguar had a cool mask + also jet alone's arms and legs remind me of the robots from laputa, another design I am a fan of

Well, that's the first time I've heard that about Jet Jaguar's design.

I love seeing the guy in modern material though.

• Locked thread