Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dr Scoofles posted:

On the flip side of painfully slow eaters, my husband is a painfully fast eater. When we go out for a meal he just puts his eyes down and eats, he doesn't stop to talk. If anybody remembers Homer Simpson line 'can't talk...busy...eating' that's my dinner partner.

This was me for a long time. I got the habit because of junior high and high school where we only had 20 minute lunch periods. So in 20 minutes you had to get to the cafeteria (and in junior high, all the classrooms were on the complete opposite side of the building,) wait in line, eat food, and then get back to class/to your next class.

So with walking and waiting in line, you really had like 10 minutes to eat and "socialize." So everyone learned to power through food as fast as possible, and the habit just stuck with me.

I finally was made super aware of it a few years ago and had to make an effort to slow down my eating. I'm usually still the first one done if I'm eating with other people, but not by nearly as much time as before.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Parasol Prophet posted:

Is it neither of those things? THEN IT DOESN'T NEED AN APOSTROPHE.

Especially if it's a character name for your fantasy novel. :colbert:

The Grand Blood Mage Wa'thk'z from the Forest of He'lrünæ doth disagree withest thou!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

The Grand Blood Mage Wa'thk'z from the Forest of He'lrünæ doth disagree withest thou!

Thee, not thou. Honestly, people getting Middle and Early Modern English pronouns wrong are just the worst.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DrBouvenstein posted:

This was me for a long time. I got the habit because of junior high and high school where we only had 20 minute lunch periods. So in 20 minutes you had to get to the cafeteria (and in junior high, all the classrooms were on the complete opposite side of the building,) wait in line, eat food, and then get back to class/to your next class.

So with walking and waiting in line, you really had like 10 minutes to eat and "socialize." So everyone learned to power through food as fast as possible, and the habit just stuck with me.

I finally was made super aware of it a few years ago and had to make an effort to slow down my eating. I'm usually still the first one done if I'm eating with other people, but not by nearly as much time as before.

If anything, I went in the opposite direction. Once I was out of high school, I re-became that person who takes one bite of food every 30 minutes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm the same boat, because of 30min lunch breaks at a job where having to spend most of that waiting for the food to be cooked in-house. Long gone from the job, still power through quickly as a habit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The loving posts all over Facebook about people whining that they have to go back to work after two weeks off. I'm sorry, you're bitching why? Some people get Xmas day and New Years off. Some don't even get that. I'm a delivery driver, we had blackout dates all loving December so no one got time off unless they requested it back in the summer! So stop whining that two weeks isn't enough of a break.

Even better that an old high school friend is whining heavily about returning to work. She works from loving home. She literally has to walk from one end of the house to the other to get to work. And her job? She's an auditor for an online college so she spends 8 hours a day doing what she loves best: bitching at people when they gently caress up.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dr Scoofles posted:

Thee, not thou. Honestly, people getting Middle and Early Modern English pronouns wrong are just the worst.

Don't thee thou me, thee thou thissen, and 'ow tha likes thee thouing.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The loving posts all over Facebook about people whining that they have to go back to work after two weeks off. I'm sorry, you're bitching why? Some people get Xmas day and New Years off. Some don't even get that. I'm a delivery driver, we had blackout dates all loving December so no one got time off unless they requested it back in the summer! So stop whining that two weeks isn't enough of a break.

Even better that an old high school friend is whining heavily about returning to work. She works from loving home. She literally has to walk from one end of the house to the other to get to work. And her job? She's an auditor for an online college so she spends 8 hours a day doing what she loves best: bitching at people when they gently caress up.

I keep getting this too. I mean, work can be a drag sometimes but a week and a half out was plenty, I was glad to be back. I missed my routine and my colleagues, plus there's not much to do where my mom lives, so I had plenty of time to dwell on my broken relationship.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I keep getting this too. I mean, work can be a drag sometimes but a week and a half out was plenty, I was glad to be back. I missed my routine and my colleagues, plus there's not much to do where my mom lives, so I had plenty of time to dwell on my broken relationship.

I hope you feel better soon, dude.

My pet peeve is that awkward moment when you try to shake someone's hand you've just met and they're socially dead so they don't know how so instead they give you the weakest dead sparrow handshake ever. Just shake my hand, it's not hard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mostlygray posted:

One has to watch her slowly finish her tea, be it hot or cold, while no conversation goes on. We all just stare into space, uncomfortably listing to the slowest eater on the earth sip at her tea.
Why are you all just sitting there silently?

Thoughtless posted:

People who eat their burger before their fries. That's the main course, the fries are the appetizer! :colbert:
They're both part of the main course. Eating the chips first is like finishing the mashed potato before moving on to the meat. You eat them together. Have a couple of chips, then a bite of burger, then another chip, etc.

FetusSlapper posted:

Why yes, I enjoy having to make tick tock noises behind your inconsiderateness; and then I enjoy the glare you give me like I'm the one being annoying.
You are.

FetusSlapper posted:

When you go to the grocery store at like 2am and there is a full family shopping; with 2 adults and 1-4 kids running around late at night. Why can't one of you stay home and watch the kids while the other does the shopping?
Any number of reasons.

Dr Scoofles posted:

On the flip side of painfully slow eaters, my husband is a painfully fast eater. When we go out for a meal he just puts his eyes down and eats, he doesn't stop to talk. If anybody remembers Homer Simpson line 'can't talk...busy...eating' that's my dinner partner.
I do that. I'll respond if someone speaks to me, but otherwise I'm going to chat before the food arrives, then eat, then chat some more as we finish our drinks.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Sociopastry posted:

My pet peeve is that awkward moment when you try to shake someone's hand you've just met and they're socially dead so they don't know how so instead they give you the weakest dead sparrow handshake ever. Just shake my hand, it's not hard.

A limp handshake is one of my biggest peeves. Do these people not use forks? loving hell, I know you can do this. It's just so gross, like handing someone a wad of your hair. Seriously, imagine if someone handed you any other body part and was like "Here, hold this for a second while I go limp and stare you in the eyes." Not acceptable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

A limp handshake is one of my biggest peeves. Do these people not use forks? loving hell, I know you can do this. It's just so gross, like handing someone a wad of your hair. Seriously, imagine if someone handed you any other body part and was like "Here, hold this for a second while I go limp and stare you in the eyes." Not acceptable.

Imagine if someone handed you any other body part and expected you to shake it vigorously while also staring you in the eyes.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Imagine if someone handed you any other body part and expected you to shake it vigorously while also staring you in the eyes.

No see that's cool because you're both shaking, together.

Duh. :rolleyes:

ETA It's a lot like sex, see

artsy fartsy has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Jan 5, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FetusSlapper posted:

When you go to the grocery store and its busy as gently caress and people don't seem to notice and stop and chat in the middle of the isle or park their cart and then stand next to it pondering which box of pasta or whatever to buy. Why yes, I enjoy having to make tick tock noises
lmao have you ever tried using your words like a big boy and actually saying "excuse me" you loving child

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Limp handshakes are meh. Personally I loving loathe overly firm handshakes.

We have mutually agreed to somewhat overly formally establish that we are meeting for the first time or whatever and then suddenly you've turned it into a dick measuring contest. gently caress you I have lost all respect for you and your machismo horseshit. I would worry about whether you thought my handshake was too limp in response but like I said, I have no respect for the mindset that needs to establish dominance over strangers and don't care about your wellbeing. gently caress you.

Huh. I care way too much about that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lemon posted:

Although it has seen an odd resurgence in these forums recently, it's pretty old. George Carlin used it in a way that suggested it was a fairly common term in Class Clown, which was 1992.

Also just throwing it out there, salty is pretty commonly used in online/gaming communities, not just these forums

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I'd never thought of it as a dominance thing. A firm shake is like "Nice to meet you!" A limp shake is like "uuuuuhhh hiiii I guess..."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cheshire Puss posted:

Limp handshakes are meh. Personally I loving loathe overly firm handshakes.

We have mutually agreed to somewhat overly formally establish that we are meeting for the first time or whatever and then suddenly you've turned it into a dick measuring contest. gently caress you I have lost all respect for you and your machismo horseshit. I would worry about whether you thought my handshake was too limp in response but like I said, I have no respect for the mindset that needs to establish dominance over strangers and don't care about your wellbeing. gently caress you.

Huh. I care way too much about that.

:agreed:

Saagonsa posted:

Also just throwing it out there, salty is pretty commonly used in online/gaming communities, not just these forums

I think the OP's issue with salty was that it's being used to mean angry instead of bitter, not that it's being used at all.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.

artsy fartsy posted:

I'd never thought of it as a dominance thing. A firm shake is like "Nice to meet you!" A limp shake is like "uuuuuhhh hiiii I guess..."

You are squeezing my hand. It is mildly painful. What the hell are you doing.

Not literally you. That other you that is theoretically that jackass. Obviously.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
When you eat your food close your mouth. I don't want to hear you loudly munching, slurping, and gulping your food you disgusting animals.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cheshire Puss posted:

Not literally you. That other you that is theoretically that jackass. Obviously.

Yeah, super hard handshakes are super bad, too. It's usually dudes with insecurity problems. You don't have to try to crush my bones, dude. Just a firm handshake is all you need.

^^^ Also agreed on the food thing. I've noticed that less and less people eat with their mouths closed. Maybe I'm just hanging around people with horrible manners.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cheshire Puss posted:

Yep. Working construction half the hand shakes I get are from wanna-be hardasses who attempt to turn my hand into fine bone powder. Dickheads.

But then the other half are limp-wristed shivers from the engineers and interns so I guess it balances out :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I'd also like to add 'The person at the front of the advance left turn line not noticing when their light turns green', to my list of pet peeves. I've started to time how long it takes these idiots to proceed into the intersection and it's not uncommon to get to four or five seconds before they move, which is an eternity while driving. Ugh.

This and lights that aren't timed properly really bother me. Several intersections where I live are so randomly timed that certain parts of town look like perpetual gridlock. Oh, this one left turn green will stay lit for 10-15 seconds, but the one a block up from it only stays green for 5 seconds max. Oh hey, fancy new timers on each intersection so people can see how long before the light changes...only some have a 10 second countdown, some have 8 seconds, others have 12 or 15, and none are consistent. On the street that runs in front of my apartment, the handful of lights are timed perfect so anyone can coast through at the speed limit and hit all green lights - yet a quarter mile up the road, every light is timed way off from the others, so you might hit 2 greens then a red, or a green then a red, or a red then 2 greens, and it fucks traffic up royally. I know some of that isn't a big issue, but goddamn is it the weirdest poo poo :psyduck:

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jan 5, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The fact that major news organizations like CNN have front pages that read more like buzzfeed than news. It's always been kind of a thing on the entertainment sections and all, but it's creeping into the real headline news articles. I still want news so I feel compelled to click it to find out whats about to blow my mind, but I don't want to encourage such a silly practice.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

The fact that major news organizations like CNN have front pages that read more like buzzfeed than news. It's always been kind of a thing on the entertainment sections and all, but it's creeping into the real headline news articles. I still want news so I feel compelled to click it to find out whats about to blow my mind, but I don't want to encourage such a silly practice.

And I don't give a poo poo what @Blayze420 on Twitter has to say about the news, stop crawling Tweets across the screen.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

mostlygray posted:

Also people that eat their fries before their burger. What the gently caress? My daughter does that and it drives me nuts.

Thoughtless posted:

People who eat their burger before their fries. That's the main course, the fries are the appetizer! :colbert:

People who think anyone cares what their opinion is on the order of eating food. It's my food, I'll eat it in the order I loving please.

bradzilla has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Jan 5, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

bradzilla posted:

People who think anyone cares what their opinion is on the order of eating food. It's my food, I'll eat it in the order I loving please.

Cold fries are next to inedible, cold burgers aren't that bad. Fries first forever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It'll end up the same mix of gunk in your stomach eat it however the gently caress you please, goddamn.

Fries on the burger 4 lyfe

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlphaKretin posted:

I think the OP's issue with salty was that it's being used to mean angry instead of bitter, not that it's being used at all.

"Salty" meaning "bitter" would just be confusing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alternating handfuls of chips and bites of the burger, interspersed with sips of the drink. :colbert:

Tiggum posted:

"Salty" meaning "bitter" would just be confusing.

I mean I've only gleaned it's use from context but it works in every case I've seen it on these forums. :shrug:

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
When I brought it up, I wasn't commenting on its meaning, just its use as an adjective in general. It's a stupid word.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Ozz81 posted:

This and lights that aren't timed properly really bother me. Several intersections where I live are so randomly timed that certain parts of town look like perpetual gridlock. Oh, this one left turn green will stay lit for 10-15 seconds, but the one a block up from it only stays green for 5 seconds max. Oh hey, fancy new timers on each intersection so people can see how long before the light changes...only some have a 10 second countdown, some have 8 seconds, others have 12 or 15, and none are consistent. On the street that runs in front of my apartment, the handful of lights are timed perfect so anyone can coast through at the speed limit and hit all green lights - yet a quarter mile up the road, every light is timed way off from the others, so you might hit 2 greens then a red, or a green then a red, or a red then 2 greens, and it fucks traffic up royally. I know some of that isn't a big issue, but goddamn is it the weirdest poo poo :psyduck:

My town is like this. We've made red light running a competitive sport.

Also there's a 3-way intersection near my house that's programmed as though it's a 4-way. Hit it at the right time and you and everyone else get to take a minute to stop for no other reason than to feel like an idiot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
Chewing with mouth open / obscenely loud eating

Not much gets under my skin but I'll try getting out of earshot as soon as I hear someone do it. How can someone make that much noise eating ice cream?!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cowslips Warren posted:

The loving posts all over Facebook about people whining that they have to go back to work after two weeks off.

Well well well, look who doesn't have kids

(note: this is not a "why don't you have kids you should have kids" post)

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

I get home from work at around 3:00 in the morning and I'm pretty sure the city set the lights so the streets I take are always on red. I once sat at one of them just to see, and it stayed red for around three minutes until I got fed up and ran it. Now the route I take is slightly more roundabout and it drives me nuts.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
There is a light near where I worked that did not account for the sudden dump of traffic from 3 to 4:30 as kids got out of school. How hard would it be to program that poo poo for just that small window of time on weekdays? Anyway, if I didn't hit it right, I'd get out of my congested left turn lane, go straight, do a U-turn in the nearby neighborhood, and then turn right, all the while watching the poor saps still waiting in the left turn lane that doesn't signal every cycle.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I get home from work at around 3:00 in the morning and I'm pretty sure the city set the lights so the streets I take are always on red. I once sat at one of them just to see, and it stayed red for around three minutes until I got fed up and ran it. Now the route I take is slightly more roundabout and it drives me nuts.

When a light isn't cycling like that just treat it as a 4 (or X, i guess)-way stop. Some of the tiny logging towns around here switch their solitary lights from signalling to standby between like 10PM and 6AM around here, same practice.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Salty has been used as angry/irritated since the 40s.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When people whose first language is English use "no?" at the end of a sentence to mean "right?". It just sounds so loving condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

When I am watching a movie, and they cut to a scene with people from a different country and those people start speaking heavily accented English. This peeve occurred to me while I was watching The Martian and the fact that Chinese actors were hired to speak Chinese was so completely refreshing to me.