Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

And then looking at the back of it, turning to the camera, and saying, "Now I know where the treasure is :smug:"

Isn't the constitution just the shirt form version of the treasure map?

What's Obama hiding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Put the Consitituon on the ground on a basketball court and have Biden iPhone slow-mo video Obama dunking over it repeatedly

:flashfap:

Please stop posting about my fantasies ITT

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

baw posted:

if CCW people are really concerned about safety then they should probably carry around portable defibrillators since their odds of dying of cardiac arrest are far higher than their odds of dying from a random act of violence

i guess walking around with one of these doesn't make you feel super manly though

The primary difference here is that there's no Big Defib openly trying to shove their product into the hands of as many (white) people as possible.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Logikv9 posted:

I was under the assumption that for the majority of the country's history, the 2nd amendment was not interpreted as "free guns for all".

The first " individual rights" interpretation dates to 1822, but there's pretty much always been a split between the individual right and political/militia interpretation (with the latter interpretation dating to 1842). Particularly once the question of freed slaves having guns came up.

In general it's not a good idea to project modern opinions onto people who lived 250 years ago and had just fought a revolution. They were big on guns and militias, in some cases going as far as mandating purchase of firearms (an interesting example of compelled commerce that came up during the ACA debate, along with mandatory insurance for sailors). The zeal for citizen militias faded but it wasn't like everyone suddenly got uncomfortable with guns, particularly given the active settlement in frontier regions. Again, as long as you were white.

Stop focusing so much on what some dead guys thought.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 5, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luigi Thirty posted:

*dances into thread* Lumping the mentally ill in with mass murderers doesn't help reduce the stigma against seeking diagnosis or treatment. This might be counterproductive. *dances out of thread*

Speaking as someone who suffered tremendously until his mid-20s when someone finally diagnosed me with bipolar and got me the right meds: if we suddenly get 500 mil more dedicated towards mental health in general, idgaf who I get lumped in with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Moktaro posted:

The primary difference here is that there's no Big Defib openly trying to shove their product into the hands of as many (white) people as possible.

Buddy, if you think there ain't a healthcare lobby in the US...

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Pegasus Challenger Disaster.

On one hand, Pegasuses are super cool, on the other hand, think about Bronies and a token Pegasister making Rainbow Dash-Christa McAuliffe comparisons.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Moktaro posted:

There kind of is, have you taken a CPR class lately?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

The first " individual rights" interpretation dates to 1822, but there's pretty much always been a split between the individual right and political/militia interpretation (with the latter interpretation dating to 1842). Particularly once the question of freed slaves having guns came up.

In general it's not a good idea to project modern opinions onto people who lived 250 years ago and had just fought a revolution. They were big on guns and militias, in some cases going as far as mandating purchase of firearms (an interesting example of compelled commerce that came up during the ACA debate, along with mandatory insurance for sailors). The zeal for citizen militias faded but it wasn't like everyone suddenly got uncomfortable with guns, particularly given the active settlement in frontier regions. Again, as long as you were white.

Tell that to half the Court.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Chokes McGee posted:

Speaking as someone who suffered tremendously until his mid-20s when someone finally diagnosed me with bipolar and got me the right meds: if we suddenly get 500 mil more dedicated towards mental health in general, idgaf who I get lumped in with.

:hfive:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

Buddy, if you think there ain't a healthcare lobby in the US...

Defibs don't make money - they're like $1,500 and you never have to buy them again, besides batteries and pads. That's chump change to the healthcare lobby.

They'd much rather get you hooked on some $5,000/mo drug that Martin Shrekli is selling.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

Thanks for this, but I made a mistake and I wasn't clear on this in my post. I was actually thinking about what the courts would think. I swear I read something that quoted some Supreme Court decisions from the 1800s that shot down the guns for everybody concept.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Other than some funding for metal health stuff I don't actually see what this changes. The ATF was already going to clamp down on the CLEO sign offs anyway (i've been hearing about it for a year now) and the rest of it is stuff that already is well established law.

If gun control advocates think this is a victory for them then they might as well pack it up.

zoux posted:

Here's his actual statement:

What's the case law on that clause, by the way? Why does it seem to be completely ignored in American jurisprudence?

Because the right of the people to bear arms is a separate thing from the part about States being allowed to organize militias.

Up until Heller, it was the "The right of the people..." that was ignored. The Regulated militia clause was often cited to justify bans and restrictions on firearms up until Heller.

"Yes but just read the 2nd amendment its clear that..."

The DC vs Heller decision covers it in great detail but its clear from a simple logical analysis of the text and comparison to similar text in the constitution itself, that the 2nd Amendment does two things, gives the people a right to bear arms and the States to organize a militia. These two clauses are not dependent on one another. Notably even the dissenting judges in the case did not disagree with this interpretation as their dissent focused on other issues.

I would direct anybody with questions to read the text of the Heller decision. But a simple exercise would be to simply replace "Gun" and "Militia" with other words like "Food" and "Breakfast", or maybe "Books" and "Library" respectively. Ask yourself who exactly has what right. Its very illuminating to read when you remove preconceived biases and assumptions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I don't think I'm going to compare guns and food as basic necessities.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

All I know is elementary school kids were murdered, and nobody gives a gently caress that they were.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Anyone know what this reference is?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

There kind of is, have you taken a CPR class lately?

Yes, why?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nonsense posted:

All I know is elementary school kids were murdered, and nobody gives a gently caress that they were.

Why should you care, it was all an Obama False Flag to Steal Our Guns

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Numlock posted:

Other than some funding for metal health stuff I don't actually see what this changes.

:black101: health.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 5, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Satan Hitler Stalin

Pick three.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Numlock posted:

Other than some funding for metal health stuff I don't actually see what this changes. The ATF was already going to clamp down on the CLEO sign offs anyway (i've been hearing about it for a year now) and the rest of it is stuff that already is well established law.

If gun control advocates think this is a victory for them then they might as well pack it up.

Because the right of the people to bear arms is a separate thing from the part about States being allowed to organize militias.

Up until Heller, it was the "The right of the people..." that was ignored. The Regulated militia clause was often cited to justify bans and restrictions on firearms up until Heller.

"Yes but just read the 2nd amendment its clear that..."

The DC vs Heller decision covers it in great detail but its clear from a simple logical analysis of the text and comparison to similar text in the constitution itself, that the 2nd Amendment does two things, gives the people a right to bear arms and the States to organize a militia. These two clauses are not dependent on one another. Notably even the dissenting judges in the case did not disagree with this interpretation as their dissent focused on other issues.

I would direct anybody with questions to read the text of the Heller decision. But a simple exercise would be to simply replace "Gun" and "Militia" with other words like "Food" and "Breakfast", or maybe "Books" and "Library" respectively. Ask yourself who exactly has what right. Its very illuminating to read when you remove preconceived biases and assumptions.

i'm sure glad internet forum poster numlock was able to put this debate to rest for all time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean is the intent of the framers that each dependent and independent clause be taken as a wholly unrelated issue to the rest of the sentence it resides in?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's undoubtedly the case that Madison would have made sure the congress couldn't ban gun ownership if he'd ever thought they'd try.

But Governor Abbott's point was about Madison's views on congress's ability to pass regulation, which were somewhat different.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yeah I don't think I'm going to compare guns and food as basic necessities.

You don't have to agree with a statement in order to parse its grammar.

When biotech really ramps up are we gonna have people unironically state that the 2nd amendment only lets you get literal bear arms grafted onto your body if you want, rather than having their legal options restricted to repeal?

Really the big part of it is that any collective interpretation requires reading "the people" as unambiguously meaning "only people employed by the government" which is a pretty chilling way to approach more important rights.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

zoux posted:

One of the things that irritates me the most are smug right wing twitter pundits acting like a man who taught con law at the U of Chicago doesn't know poo poo about the constitution.

uh he's black and also a liberal muslim, the fact that he knows how it works is only so he can undermine it more efficiently

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I want Huey P. Newton gun club members guarding our kid's schools from the Sons of Bundy.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Who's the Brain Bug in this scenario?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Kitfox88 posted:

uh he's black and also a liberal muslim, the fact that he knows how it works is only so he can undermine it more efficiently

Even the Devil can quote scripture, as they say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alligator Horse posted:

Who's the Brain Bug in this scenario?

The American people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

One of the things that irritates me the most are smug right wing twitter pundits acting like a man who taught con law at the U of Chicago doesn't know poo poo about the constitution.

Yesterday I saw Kennedy on Fox News say Obama should read the Constitution.

Yesterday I saw an MTV VJ say a Harvard educated Constitutional Law Professor should read the Constitution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kennedy is a conservative now? How stands Tabitha Soren?

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

haveblue posted:

The American people.

"It's...it's afraid!"

*cheers all around*

Yeah that sounds about right.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yesterday I saw Kennedy on Fox News say Obama should read the Constitution.

Yesterday I saw an MTV VJ say a Harvard educated Constitutional Law Professor should read the Constitution.

What... what?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Senf posted:

What... what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_(commentator)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Kennedy is a conservative now? How stands Tabitha Soren?
Yeah she and Kurt Loder always were I think.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Reading wikipedia, I guess Kennedy was more republican and now is more libertarian like Loder but yeah I know in practice the difference isn't much etc.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nonsense posted:

I want Huey P. Newton gun club members guarding our kid's schools from the Sons of Bundy.

This is sadly reasonable. School children have absolutely nothing to fear from black nationalists, but plenty to be wary of right-wing militias.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Reading wikipedia, I guess Kennedy was more republican and now is more libertarian like Loder but yeah I know in practice the difference isn't much etc.

Kennedy is always the swing vote!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

I'm reliably informed it'll drive you mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think Starlighter is a great name for a motel on the edge of town. I can already see the big asymmetrical sign and the 50s font.

Last Starfighter owned.

• Locked thread