Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Acaila posted:

She wasn't asked to look like she did in ANH because she was playing the character 30 years later. Women age, deal with it.

Who is asking her to look like a 20 year old? Princess General Leia in TFA looks like Princess Leia from ANH 30+ years later. Carrie Fisher in 2010 did not look like that.

Maybe I'm being misunderstood. I think her character in TFA looked great. I was being critical of the idea that the actress shouldn't have had to get back into age appropriate shape for her role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I still think it sounded like most of Fisher's dialouge was dubbed later (since we almost never see her actually speak some of her most important expositional lines as far as I remember) but that just coincides with the rumors that they edited a ton of stuff relating to the plot in post-production.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do we have to use spoiler tags in this thread? I am pretty sure everyone who cares about Star Wars has seen TFA by now.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sorry guys, but women on camera must be under 40 or over 70. A generic Old has no place on the stage unless you can pull a Maggie Smith or the silly grandma from Wedding Singer and Wedding Crashers who has been playing a 90 year old since she was 50.

Lol don't be such an idiot. Leias character isn't supposed to look good. Losing her son has probably aged her more than those thirty years has. I wasn't making a comment on how attractive she was or wasn't, jesus.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do we have to use spoiler tags in this thread? I am pretty sure everyone who cares about Star Wars has seen TFA by now.

Spoiler tags for a thread about one film has always seemed immensely silly to me. Perhaps in a thread about multiple self-contained works but you have to be a pretty huge dullard to not realize the seventh movie in a series with a serial plot style was going to be discussed even when talking about past films.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yep, until midnight January 17.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's that and a number of other factors. By cutting Leia's scenes, the characterization of Maz and Rey is also simplified.

This shot from the trailer shows that there was an alternate ending - Rey gives the sword back to Maz at the end of the film, and then Maz gives it to Leia and says "here, you talk to her" or something. Leia would ultimately be the one who convinces Rey to be a Jedi.

The end result is that we would have a much better understanding of how Maz and Rey relate to the Republic/Resistance. In the final cut, Rey just spontaneously loves Luke and goes off to search for him. Leia's all waving as Rey flies away with her husband's car and her brother's sword.

These are not plot holes but 'character holes': Rey never really cared about the Jedi. She idolizes Han Solo, the smuggler. Leia's the one who was searching for Luke the entire film. At the end, these roles are inexplicably reversed.

It was disappointing to not see this in the movie. I thought we would, based on the trailers. I wonder why it was cut and if we'll see it in a director's cut.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

The movie is about the interaction between the old and new generation, and how the results of the past have shaped the future that the new generation must deal with. Nothing is trampled on. Han and Leia's romance is realized with Kylo (who's actions are influenced by every one of the old generation), Luke stops the Empire and brings substantial peace to the galaxy, creating a new jedi council and living life in a way natural to -his- older generation. Han's entire arc in the film consists of trying to bury his past and accepting that he must face it.

You can like the prequels and not be insane or demand inoffensive mediocrity.

E: Carrie looked amazing considering her past and did a great job. You are uncomfortable with her because you are used to Hollywood pairing 18-25 year old women with 35+ year old men. The sight of Han with a woman his age makes you uncomfortable.

Not even a woman his age, she's 14 years younger than him!

The Force Awakens is set 34 years after A New Hope, it's 38 years since A New Hope came out. Fisher is completely age appropriate in the film.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acaila posted:

Carrie Fisher is still a goddess at three times the age she was in A New Hope, and I don't see you guys slagging off Very Old Man Harrison Ford.

I was very impressed by his ability to move in this movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

greatn posted:

You are kind of ignoring how she holds out the saber in kind of a desperate "please take this from me" gesture. The opening act also shows she has a lot of interest in Luke and the force, thinking he was a legend and asking with wide eyes if it was all true.

I'm not ignoring that. The point is that, through creative editing, they changed Rey from a character who fundamentally doesn't want to be a Jedi to a character who fundamentally wants to be a Jedi. That's a massive shift that is, ultimately the source of the 'Mary Sue' complaints.

In the original cut, Rey is saying "please take this away from me". Like Anakin, she doesn't want this responsibility. She would prefer to be Han Solo, and hang out with Finn.

In the final cut, Rey is saying "please take this because I've always wanted to serve you". In this version, Rey is given everything she wants, with no downsides.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 5, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

First things first: the narrative structure of the Star Wars film series is ever-shifting. As each film is introduced, the meaning changes.

Three extremely different films were grouped together and are now understood as 'The OT', the story of how Luke Skywalker killed the evil robot Darth Vader and saved his father - Anakin. This killing of the robot ultimately represented the triumph of liberal democracy over the various failed utopian projects of the past. In general, the OT can be summarized as naďvely optimistic.

Subsequently, three films were introduced that called out the OT for its naďveté. The human Anakin, it reveals, was a fascist stooge. The bad robot monster that everyone had rejected was none other than Christ Himself. We were fooled: liberal democracy was the enemy. It was all a sham. We killed Him for plastic toys, and His blood is on our hands. With the addition of these three films, the context of the originals had changed. The entire six-film series became the tale of Darth Vader's crucifixion. It can be summarized as brutally honest.

And now we have a seventh film.

The Force Awakens is a story of willful ignorance and self-deceit.

Who are the Republic? Who are the Resistance? Who are the First Order? People are confused because they are not reading the imagery.

The basic story is simple: it is the story of a USB key that travels across the galaxy and gradually morphs into a laser sword. Max Van Sydow is the personification of this object; it respresents his legacy. And he explains exactly what he stands for: "only the Jedi can bring balance to the force." He supports Leia's Resistance because 'she's royalty to him.' The Resistance heroes are all working to bring back feudalism, and the New Order is working to prevent that.

If you've read the previous thread and seen the previous films, you know that nobody ever mentions a 'light side', because there isnt one. The entire Force - the entire universe - is darkness, and to believe otherwise is to have your vision clouded. The light side exists only as the holy spirit - the community of believers in Christ/Vader. Vader was the incarnation of the Force and, when he died, the Force died with him.

Force Awakens, on the other hand, is constantly talking about the light side, and visualizing it as literal light: the ships all have massive headlights attached, the recurring image is of a dark ball of tentacles being obliterated by a burst of light (e.g. When that thing is attached to the windshield). The light cleanses, and the light purifies. this is what Van Sydow means by 'balance'.

But this literal light is not the Holy Spirit. It's the dark side, rebranded. It's sheer, burning power. Audiences cheer when Rey displays her insane power. Her mutant powers, aka 'force sensitivity', aka midichlorians - make her stronger than anyone else. Her mind-tricks are not subtle manipulations, but a direct reprogramming of the enemy's mind. She wins by being darker than Kylo.

So: why would a family abandon their child in a junkyard?

The simplest answer is that they're terrified of her.

Basically, JJ Abrams has tricked you into worshiping the dark side. Maz runs a temple devoted to herself, and nobody is suspicious? Whoops!

I circle back to a much simpler theme:

The old heroes of the rebellion are graying, dying off, and interested in fighting a battle with the upstarts of the remnants (or deluded fanboys) of the Empire. They've formed a 'Resistance' subgroup that the (New) Republic apparently doesn't take seriously. Leia, Ackbar, Nien Nunb - they're fighting the First Order because they were oppressed by the Empire that influenced it. The Republic doesn't seem to care - hence why a small subgroup has taken it upon themselves to stop the FO.

The kids who grew up idolizing the Empire, likely just kids, grew up, and took the reins of whatever was left. They've kind of improved on the old models, by making things look more evil, sleeker, darker, and imposing, whether it actually is or not. No one in charge of the Empire's First Order, save Snoke, looks old at all. General Hux and Kylo Ren are the two leads, and neither looks over 30. As Starkiller base starts to go down, one officer screams that they have to escape - contrast this with Grand Moff Tarkin's 'Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?!'. Starkiller fires upon the Republic planets, wiping out shocked and surprised worlds, who had no idea these idiot kids had this kind of power. The kids built a bigger, scarier Death Star because, well, they're kids, and that's all they really know. They don't appear to grasp much about tactics, strategy, politics, or any kind of discipline. Kylo Ren picks up on Finn's self-doubt, and just stares at him - but doesn't discipline him. Ren throws tantrums, but doesn't lead. The troops themselves don't appear to have any actual tactics or teamwork going on - just a bunch of bullies in uniforms. Attack with overwhelming force and numbers, with big scary weapons that force your enemies to turn and run, so that they can't see how weak/uncoordinated you actually are. Ren dominates Finn in lightsaber combat because he just pounds him. When he fights Rey, he realizes she has some fighting skill, and collapses as soon as he's challenged. Supreme Leader Snoke is probably four feet tall, but appears to his subordinates as a giant, to keep them in awe and obedient.

The Resistance needs to recruit skilled young people to oppose the First Order before they die, and before the FO grows up. Until then, they're going to keep things even by leaning on the people that are left, even if that means sacrifice.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Beeez posted:

This article might be interesting for some people, Cnut and SMG in particular might like it.

Yeah, but the stuff they've come out with so far is scarcely better than the old EU, from what I've seen of it. And I guess this may make me an irrational fan in some people's eyes, but I think these iconic, nearly forty-year-old characters deserve respect in the official film continuation of the originals. With Obi-Wan, Mon Mothma, and Yoda it was one thing, because those characters may have been former leaders of the old Republic but we knew them in the original trilogy's context first. But Luke and Leia are too indelibly the protagonists of Star Wars to have them totally shunted aside to make way for new blood. I'm not saying those characters should never face any challenges after RotJ, but there's a difference between facing challenges and setbacks, and totally trampling on what they developed into and fought for in the originals.

The only problem TFA had with Luke and Leia was involving them too much in the movie. "Shunt" them the hell out of it I say. And its super hilarious you're citing the EU as something good. As someone who read like a dozen of that drek as a kid, they were absolute poo poo then and incredibly poo poo now. Fan service, nerdy pathologies, red headed ladies in skin tight suits ahoy, they were bad.

TFA should have had more of the courage of ripping any obeisance to the past aside and make something new. As it is, it serves as a good foundation for someone really inspired to make something, hopefully, new.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Was the "I know something of waiting" line from one of the trailers cut from the film or did I just miss it? It sounded like Phasma/Gwendoline Christie said it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Neurolimal posted:

This doesn't mean the politics have to be dull, lacking in any relateable protagonist, and then skip large amounts of it to get to space-Venice (which was a few clear plastic instruments away from being a star trek set)

What would have made the politics more exciting? A filibuster by Jar Jar? I thought they were interesting by watching Palpatine pull the strings the entire time and no one having any idea, even after Dooku spills the beans to Obi Wan.

Ultimately Anakin is the protagonist of the PT, even if he doesn't play an obviously leading role in TPM. The PT movies are nonconventional because you they're meant to be looked at as a whole rather than individually. It's a luxury that Lucas bought himself through the success of the OT and I don't think enough people realize that. That's why TPM doesn't have a clearcut protagonist and it's because the movie is setting up the rest of the series, not trying to be a standalone movie.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

the trump tutelage posted:

Was the "I know something of waiting" line from one of the trailers cut from the film or did I just miss it? It sounded like Phasma/Gwendoline Christie said it.

Rey says it to BB8 shortly after they first meet.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shoren posted:

What would have made the politics more exciting? A filibuster by Jar Jar? I thought they were interesting by watching Palpatine pull the strings the entire time and no one having any idea, even after Dooku spills the beans to Obi Wan.

Ultimately Anakin is the protagonist of the PT, even if he doesn't play an obviously leading role in TPM. The PT movies are nonconventional because you they're meant to be looked at as a whole rather than individually. It's a luxury that Lucas bought himself through the success of the OT and I don't think enough people realize that. That's why TPM doesn't have a clearcut protagonist and it's because the movie is setting up the rest of the series, not trying to be a standalone movie.

Everyone does seem to be aware of how evil Palpatine is. It's just everyone seems to be far too restrained by some magic plot device of ~~Sith powers~~ to do anything about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shoren posted:

This is also amazing. Best justification for the PT yet, bravo. As to the answer to your question: absolutely anything else other than starting off the opening crawl with the phrase "the taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute" then have our undefined blah heroes fight a crowd of boring robots in a corridor. The politics aren't exciting at all in TPM (and since this is a movie, I judge it on being a single movie), and worse yet, it doesn't even make it worth your while to figure out why.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

hemale in pain posted:

Everyone does seem to be aware of how evil Palpatine is. It's just everyone seems to be far too restrained by some magic plot device of ~~Sith powers~~ to do anything about it.

Its not a magic plot device. The Jedi are weak. Yoda says their power to predict the future has lessened, which is probably why they've become weak cuz they're constantly trying to predict future when they should be focusing on what's going on right in front of them

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

A we sure that Marky Mark is a good guy...? Would Luke going bad be too edgy for the franchise?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

straight up brolic posted:

A we sure that Marky Mark is a good guy...? Would Luke going bad be too edgy for the franchise?
He didn't speak in the first movie because when he talks it'll be in his Joker voice.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's that and a number of other factors. By cutting Leia's scenes, the characterization of Maz and Rey is also simplified.

This shot from the trailer shows that there was an alternate ending - Rey gives the sword back to Maz at the end of the film, and then Maz gives it to Leia and says "here, you talk to her" or something. Leia would ultimately be the one who convinces Rey to be a Jedi.

The end result is that we would have a much better understanding of how Maz and Rey relate to the Republic/Resistance. In the final cut, Rey just spontaneously loves Luke and goes off to search for him. Leia's all waving as Rey flies away with her husband's car and her brother's sword.

These are not plot holes but 'character holes': Rey never really cared about the Jedi. She idolizes Han Solo, the smuggler. Leia's the one who was searching for Luke the entire film. At the end, these roles are inexplicably reversed.
Based on what I read, this scene was supposed take place after Maz traveled with Han/Chewie/Finn to the Resistance base. Not at the end.

Noam Chomsky posted:

It was disappointing to not see this in the movie. I thought we would, based on the trailers. I wonder why it was cut and if we'll see it in a director's cut.
Apparently it was because they saw no need to have Maz hang around after her bar was destroyed, so JJ just had Maz give it to Finn.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Shageletic posted:

This is also amazing. Best justification for the PT yet, bravo. As to the answer to your question: absolutely anything else other than starting off the opening crawl with the phrase "the taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute" then have our undefined blah heroes fight a crowd of boring robots in a corridor. The politics aren't exciting at all in TPM (and since this is a movie, I judge it on being a single movie), and worse yet, it doesn't even make it worth your while to figure out why.

My least favorite thing about the prequels are the shiny, useless objects.

- The silvery SR-41 that Amidala escapes Naboo in
- The electric tubes in the background of the duel of Phantom Menace
- The glowy ball thing Boss Nass holds up at the end of TPM
- The cloners on Kamino, and their architecture
- Tons of sports on TV at the bar
- The Gungan underwater palaces
- The palaces on Naboo
- The looooong chase scenes in traffic on Coruscant in AotC
- Dexter Jettster's 50s diner

None of them mean anything, they're just pretty because the CGI technology allowed it. The politics are pointless, but at least it could have meant something if it were better written. The shiny crap is just in the way, which makes it worse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the big glowy ball. It's the friendship orb!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red posted:

None of them mean anything, they're just pretty because the CGI technology allowed it. The politics are pointless, but at least it could have meant something if it were better written. The shiny crap is just in the way, which makes it worse.

This isn't really true. They present a far more utopian fanciful future than the original trilogy which is largely rough and utilitarian. It absolutely sets a tone difference between the two.

I mean I personally dislike that design sense but it does serve a purpose.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I honestly hated most of the bar stuff before the force vision. It was sort of redeemed by that but I don't think the film would of lost anything by cutting out Maz entirely.

corn in the fridge posted:

Its not a magic plot device. The Jedi are weak. Yoda says their power to predict the future has lessened, which is probably why they've become weak cuz they're constantly trying to predict future when they should be focusing on what's going on right in front of them

Yea, I know the jedi are supposed to suck and rely too much on the force for predicting things but daaamn maybe make it less obvious that Palpatine is the sith to the jedi? The jedi pretty much know it by the end of the second movie, Yoda is constantly concerned about it even! I know it's a kids show so bad guys gotta be comically evil and obvious, and we're doing the "LOOK BEHIND YOU!" panto routine.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't really true. They present a far more utopian fanciful future than the original trilogy which is largely rough and utilitarian. It absolutely sets a tone difference between the two.

I mean I personally dislike that design sense but it does serve a purpose.

The Gungans, aside from the idiotic Jar Jar, appear to be fairly militant, stiff, and resistant to change. They're xenophobic, it appears. Nothing about their see-through glass underwater palace reflects that, other than it's underwater. So, it's pretty for the sake of being pretty.

Naboo is very green, which is nice to look at, but the buildings all look empty and fake. I don't dispute that it's meant to look utopian, but it looks to the viewer like a CGI city made for a fairy tale movie.

The sports bar on Coruscant looks closer to how a bar might look in Marty's trip to Hill Valley 2055, rather than a bar on Coruscant.

I think you're right in interpreting what they wanted to do, but it looks like the rest of the prequels - lovely and overindulgent, because no one had any filters or anyone telling them "no".

greatn posted:

I like the big glowy ball. It's the friendship orb!

At least the medals made sense. Is the orb a gift to the Naboo from Nass? Is it a gift from the Naboo to Nass? Is it a gift from the Jedi to both? Is it a thing Nass won in a crane game? Is it the power core from the droid control ship? It is absolute guesswork to figure out what it's supposed to be, and nothing hints at what it could be. It's lazy as poo poo, and it's only there because George Lucas likely said, "They should have an orb to hold up at the end to signify their relationship,", without actually clarifying what it is or does. He had the foundation of an idea, but never fleshed it out, and no one bothered to ask him.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I honestly hated most of the bar stuff before the force vision. It was sort of redeemed by that but I don't think the film would of lost anything by cutting out Maz entirely.

Yea, I know the jedi are supposed to suck and rely too much on the force for predicting things but daaamn maybe make it less obvious that Palpatine is the sith to the jedi? The jedi pretty much know it by the end of the second movie, Yoda is constantly concerned about it even! I know it's a kids show so bad guys gotta be comically evil and obvious, and we're doing the "LOOK BEHIND YOU!" panto routine.

That would mean changing the Emperor though, and he's so much fun to watch. He's completely in love with evil. He wants to go to the movies with evil and put his dick in the popcorn. He's a joy to watch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought the orb represented the Gungans being invited to join the senate. But that doesn't seem to happen.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

hemale in pain posted:

After seeing it a second time I agree. In fact the whole part from when Han scoops them up until the Force vision I felt pretty disinterested. Even the tentacle monsters bit didn't really do anything for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I thought the orb represented the Gungans being invited to join the senate. But that doesn't seem to happen.

Jar-Jar is literally one of Naboo's senators in AotC.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Red posted:

The Gungans, aside from the idiotic Jar Jar, appear to be fairly militant, stiff, and resistant to change. They're xenophobic, it appears. Nothing about their see-through glass underwater palace reflects that, other than it's underwater. So, it's pretty for the sake of being pretty.

Naboo is very green, which is nice to look at, but the buildings all look empty and fake. I don't dispute that it's meant to look utopian, but it looks to the viewer like a CGI city made for a fairy tale movie.

You don't think the fact that the Gungans who are are xenophobic live isolated underwater while the humans live in palaces that "look empty and fake" has any meaning??

I mean, like ImpAtom was saying, if you don't like the aesthetic that's fine but c'mon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Jar-Jar is literally one of Naboo's senators in AotC.

Officially? I got the impression he was just hanging around being himself until he was tricked into becoming Padme's proxy. Why would he need to step in for Padme if he was already a senator?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

It did kind of bum me out that they spent so much effort and care making real alien puppets only to have the two aliens with speaking roles (Snoke and Maz) be fully CG. I guess to most people talking puppets look bad, but I still think the puppet Yoda from Empire holds up way better than his CG counterpart in the prequels.

Original PT and RotJ look a little rough though.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Ghetto Prince posted:

This is from way back, but I think the part of the problem that younger people have with the old star wars movies is that we watched the special editions , which are full of crazy poo poo that makes no sense.

I still remember the first time I tried to watch return of the jedi; I was really getting into the movie, and had the volume turned up, when suddenly this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

And I turned off the loving TV.

Are you kidding? Jedi Rocks is legitimately a highlight of the movie for some kids just getting into Star Wars. The alien singer gets a name and backstory in the Clone Wars cartoon, which kids adore—Jedi Rocks is, for them, a cool cameo.

They also just plain don't have the critical filter or inclination to segregate the weirdness of Star Wars into Good, Pure Childhood Memories and Bad, Not-My-Star-Wars Lucas Dreck. And when they do age enough to develop those? Well, if they grew up with the special editions and that's all they've ever known, Jedi Rocks will still likely be as much of the ~~magic of Star Wars~~ as the orginal cantina band.

And lol if you think a single SE change other than Jedi Rocks and the Han-Jabba spaceport scene is even detectable/meaningful to non-crazies. They added more storm troopers to the Death Star!!??! The horror, childhood ruined

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The orb is the Matrix of Leadership, and upon taking it Jar Jar becomes Jarimus Prime.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Red posted:

My least favorite thing about the prequels are the shiny, useless objects.

- The silvery SR-41 that Amidala escapes Naboo in
- The electric tubes in the background of the duel of Phantom Menace
- The glowy ball thing Boss Nass holds up at the end of TPM
- The cloners on Kamino, and their architecture
- Tons of sports on TV at the bar
- The Gungan underwater palaces
- The palaces on Naboo
- The looooong chase scenes in traffic on Coruscant in AotC
- Dexter Jettster's 50s diner

I also hate those kids on my lawn with their iPhones and hippety-hop music.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Are you kidding? Jedi Rocks is legitimately a highlight of the movie for some kids just getting into Star Wars. The alien singer gets a name and backstory in the Clone Wars cartoon, which kids adore—Jedi Rocks is, for them, a cool cameo.

They also just plain don't have the critical filter or inclination to segregate the weirdness of Star Wars into Good, Pure Childhood Memories and Bad, Not-My-Star-Wars Lucas Dreck. And when they do age enough to develop those? Well, if they grew up with the special editions and that's all they've ever known, Jedi Rocks will still likely be as much of the ~~magic of Star Wars~~ as the orginal cantina band.

And lol if you think a single SE change other than Jedi Rocks and the Han-Jabba spaceport scene is even detectable/meaningful to non-crazies. They added more storm troopers to the Death Star!!??! The horror, childhood ruined

The rando dinosaurs running around Mos Eisley is pretty blatant but yeah, the stuff people actually care about in the SE is probably limited the underside of 10 minutes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hazo posted:

After seeing it a second time I agree. In fact the whole part from when Han scoops them up until the Force vision I felt pretty disinterested. Even the tentacle monsters bit didn't really do anything for me.

Tentacles felt like something from Rebels or the Clone wars cartoon so I sorta enjoyed but it was out of place.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

You don't think the fact that the Gungans who are are xenophobic live isolated underwater while the humans live in palaces that "look empty and fake" has any meaning??

I mean, like ImpAtom was saying, if you don't like the aesthetic that's fine but c'mon.

I would think someone as militant and xenophobic as the Gungans would have mines or barriers set up. Instead, Obi-Wan, Jar-Jar and Qui-Gon each swim right into the main palace.

Later, the droids (somehow) drive the Gungans out of their city, and to a forest hiding place. So, the palace isn't even dis-inviting, and it can't repel invaders, either. Makes you assume that those giant sea creatures must stop by to eat them once in a while.

The palaces of Naboo look nice from a distance, but even then, they just look to CGI and fake - and when you get closer, it's a weird combination of fairy tale and Venice. But I do like the tons of green.

It's mostly me disliking the aesthetic, but I don't think they work so great for what they're intended to be, either.

I remember it being a popular theory in the late 90s that Naboo would be ruined by war, and eventually become Dagobah, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FutonForensic posted:

It did kind of bum me out that they spent so much effort and care making real alien puppets only to have the two aliens with speaking roles (Snoke and Maz) be fully CG. I guess to most people talking puppets look bad, but I still think the puppet Yoda from Empire holds up way better than his CG counterpart in the prequels.

Original PT and RotJ look a little rough though.

That Ep I puppet is just insane. I can't get over how bad it looks.

• Locked thread