Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What are people's experiences/opinions on rehoming birds that have spent time and bonded with other people? I am looking at adopting a new conure and there are a lot of idiots on Craigslist that have two or three year old birds that they are trying to rehome ("I got a cat and now it's trying to kill the bird luls") but I am afraid that rehoming them away from someone they bonded with will give them birdy depression issues

Our experience with Maestro (a Jenday conure) was that--despite living with his previous owner 11 years and being so bonded to her that she said he'd get territorial over her--he almost instantly was my snuggle buddy.

That being said, the whole reason she rehomed him was that she hadn't been able to give him the attention he needed that she had previously been able to.

It is taking him longer to warm up to jade, though. He's only now really starting to fly to him, and he still has a pretty strong and obvious preference to be around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are flocks of wild cockatoos likely to accept an escaped pet? One of the cockatoos in my neighbours yard sounds like he's trying to say good boy.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
crosposting from yosmas thread

suffix posted:

a space cockatiel! :eyepop:
i love it! :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That's awesome, and reminds me that I forgot to post part of my SASS :

At the bottom, three apparently handmade! hats for the birds. Look how amazing they are, especially the dinosaur one. Sadly they are too big, as they used measurements from the widest part of the neck, so Ohtori will have a dinosaur balaclava at best.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Battle Pigeon posted:

That's awesome, and reminds me that I forgot to post part of my SASS :

At the bottom, three apparently handmade! hats for the birds. Look how amazing they are, especially the dinosaur one. Sadly they are too big, as they used measurements from the widest part of the neck, so Ohtori will have a dinosaur balaclava at best.

birdclava pics pls.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbrurxBsB28

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Are flocks of wild cockatoos likely to accept an escaped pet? One of the cockatoos in my neighbours yard sounds like he's trying to say good boy.

An escaped indian ringneck seems to be getting on fine hanging out with the galahs in my neighborhood.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

An escaped indian ringneck seems to be getting on fine hanging out with the galahs in my neighborhood.

probably because it looks like alex from clockwork orange and they don't want to say anything

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://imgur.com/gallery/iWEKYY3

It's a gif/webm, too lazy to embed :\ BUT IT'S WORTH IT I PROMISE!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/iWEKYY3

It's a gif/webm, too lazy to embed :\ BUT IT'S WORTH IT I PROMISE!
It really is

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@1500

That's fantastic, :D I have a vision of the two grays gong round in circles on it, flipping upside down and whatnot and it's adorable.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

birdclava pics pls.

Will do, when I'm back home to do it!

Anyone have a Grey/Amazon/cockatoo/similar sized bird that would wear hats? Circumference about 12cm each

Dreggon posted:

probably because it looks like alex from clockwork orange and they don't want to say anything

Never stop posting itt please and thank you

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Judah is very hard to take pictures of right now because winter means he gets in my hood and stays there until he needs to poop or eat or yell at my hands on the keyboard which means he wants to go back in.

Still, him snuggling into my hood and sleeping is pretty fuckin' cute even if I can't see it :3:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Well I didn't think I would get a photo of the stand getting used so quickly, but its set up and running (needs more vetrap), and its a hit with one of them anyway. The other seems to be scared to death of it, but hopefully that will change over time.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Judah is very hard to take pictures of right now because winter means he gets in my hood and stays there until he needs to poop or eat or yell at my hands on the keyboard which means he wants to go back in.

Still, him snuggling into my hood and sleeping is pretty fuckin' cute even if I can't see it :3:

I wish you could get a photo, it sounds adorable. Especially for a cockatiel, they're so flighty I wouldn't expect one to do something like that :3:

1500 posted:

Well I didn't think I would get a photo of the stand getting used so quickly, but its set up and running (needs more vetrap), and its a hit with one of them anyway. The other seems to be scared to death of it, but hopefully that will change over time.

That's awesome, hopefully the other one will warm up to it soon. How did you go about making/designing it?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Anyone have a Grey/Amazon/cockatoo/similar sized bird that would wear hats? Circumference about 12cm each

I can usually convince Mookie to wear half a walnut like a bowler derby, but I can't guarantee he'd be cool with anything snug.

To be honest, I'd rather see Teeka the Puddle in a dinosaur hat. Or Mindo in a beenie, now that I think about it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Talked to my bird vet about getting a buddy to help fix Arsene's plucking. She actually recommended that I get a female bird because he is likely plucking because he is reaching sexual maturity and is super frustrated, thus plucking.

I have to get a girlfriend for my horny teenager bird. What is my life

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Tendai posted:

how does he fit in there with a ginormous cockatiel tail?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, when I've been waking up the past couple days Ritz has had regurgitation stuck to his beak. I think he's getting frisky with his hut before he wakes us up in the morning, as he's been trying to puke on everything for the last few weeks. We've been thinking of taking the hut away but he's been sleeping in one for the last 4 years and I feel really bad doing so.

Advice for a horny bird owner?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Well I would recommend cold showers and lots of time socializing with humans instead of birds. Maybe take in a movie. Or ask a pretty (human) guy/girl on a date?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I took Alexis' hut away a few months ago and she adjusted immediately (and it seemed to help with some of her attitude issues),

Take it away, see what happens. It won't hurt him.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I took Alexis' hut away a few months ago and she adjusted immediately (and it seemed to help with some of her attitude issues),

Take it away, see what happens. It won't hurt him.

Maybe I'll try tonight. When we put him to bed he immediately goes in and goes to bed, no peeps, no screaming no nothing, just silence. It's really nice to not have to struggle with bed time as I've heard some people have to do, so I'm worried that will go away.

SquadronROE posted:

Well I would recommend cold showers and lots of time socializing with humans instead of birds. Maybe take in a movie. Or ask a pretty (human) guy/girl on a date?

A+, should have worded it differently

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That happened with Ohtori, and any time he's offered it he climbs in and instantly started bobbing so he never got it back. You could give him something else, like a shelf perch or a snuggle thing (those fleece things you tie to the side of the cage)

Suntan Boy posted:

I can usually convince Mookie to wear half a walnut like a bowler derby, but I can't guarantee he'd be cool with anything snug.

To be honest, I'd rather see Teeka the Puddle in a dinosaur hat. Or Mindo in a beenie, now that I think about it.

Those would all be good :3:

When calling home earlier, after birds had been covered up, I was put on loudspeaker and instantly there was a HEY BABY! Followed by many kisses and laughter :kimchi:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Alexis' hut

???

like a little house for birds?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/happy_hut#.VoyDoHllMUE one of these things

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Giffed those dancing parrots from earlier.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/Ajith0j.gifv

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Top secret tip, if you delete the v from the url you can post it inline with image tags :sun: as long as they aren't incredibly massive and will crash peoples' browsers anyway.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Top secret tip, if you delete the v from the url you can post it inline with image tags :sun: as long as they aren't incredibly massive and will crash peoples' browsers anyway.

Protip I added the v because gently caress gifs.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So weird looking. I kind of wish Ritz would do that. Better creepy than puking on everything (including my sock tonight).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

H110Hawk posted:

Protip I added the v because gently caress gifs.

You win this round H110Hawk, if that even is your real name.

e: an escaped budgie is taken in by a flock of sparrows and then a caring family :3:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/budgie-rescued-after-weeks-spent-outside-braving-winnipeg-winter-1.3387432

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2016

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Oh my god, this makes me so happy and warm and fuzzy! Glad the little guy was rescued!! :)

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Battle Pigeon posted:

I wish you could get a photo, it sounds adorable. Especially for a cockatiel, they're so flighty I wouldn't expect one to do something like that :3:

That's awesome, hopefully the other one will warm up to it soon. How did you go about making/designing it?

Basically I just did a search for PVC parrot stands, then used that as a base, then designed the top as I wanted.

-----------------------------

I am sitting at my desk with my back to Bonny. Bonny is on her current stand going to town on a new toy I made her, when I hear this screech, and flapping of wings. Ok I though, she fell off again, she will just walk back to her cage or climb onto my chair (I was playing a game and in the middle of a fight so I didn't turn around right away). Well the commotion behind me didn't stop right away, like you would expect when a bird that has hit the ground and is just walking around. So I turn around and Bonny had managed to kind of fly, and landed on the back of Truger.

This is a dog with a very high prey drive (he has killed at least one goat, and a pet bird, before I got him under control). Bonny is screaming, wings stretched flapping, holding on for dear life while pulling out beak fulls of fur as she desperately tries to stay on. Truger is stuck between a rock and a hard-place, he knows he can't do anything about the bird, but at the same time there is this massive bird actively attacking him. He is just kind of twitching between actions not sure what to do and looking to me to fix this. So I grab Truger and pry a screaming Bonny off his back. I put Bonny back on her stand (she then happily goes back to munching on blocks of wood like nothing happened),while Truger is giving me the hurt look. Needless to say, Truger got some treats for his inaction.

1500 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 6, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Toot toot dumb question ahead

So still thinking of getting a bird hoodie, finances allowing, because I'm a moron and think they're both hilarious and cute, but was put off by shipping times/costs. I could have sworn the avian fashions website warned of something like a six week wait for international customers unless you paid for the incredibly expensive shipping. But now it just says:

quote:

All orders are shipped out via USPS - United States Postal Service unless otherwise specified. Customers may select Routine First Class for a flat rate of $6.00 or Priority for a flat rate of $12.00.

For our international orders, the shipping charge is based on weight. Most First Class International Air Mail orders will range from $9.00 to $12.00 and USPS Global Priority is $30.00. Due to lost packages and delayed delivery to some countries, we may require that your order be shipped via Federal Express for an additional fee.

I'm not paying $30 for shipping. What is the other service like? I would want to get it while I'm still in the UK ideally

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You win this round H110Hawk, if that even is your real name.

:coal:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

1500 posted:

Basically I just did a search for PVC parrot stands, then used that as a base, then designed the top as I wanted.

-----------------------------

I am sitting at my desk with my back to Bonny. Bonny is on her current stand going to town on a new toy I made her, when I hear this screech, and flapping of wings. Ok I though, she fell off again, she will just walk back to her cage or climb onto my chair (I was playing a game and in the middle of a fight so I didn't turn around right away). Well the commotion behind me didn't stop right away, like you would expect when a bird that has hit the ground and is just walking around. So I turn around and Bonny had managed to kind of fly, and landed on the back of Truger.

This is a dog with a very high prey drive (he has killed at least one goat, and a pet bird, before I got him under control). Bonny is screaming, wings stretched flapping, holding on for dear life while pulling out beak fulls of fur as she desperately tries to stay on. Truger is stuck between a rock and a hard-place, he knows he can't do anything about the bird, but at the same time there is this massive bird actively attacking him. He is just kind of twitching between actions not sure what to do and looking to me to fix this. So I grab Truger and pry a screaming Bonny off his back. I put Bonny back on her stand (she then happily goes back to munching on blocks of wood like nothing happened),while Truger is giving me the hurt look. Needless to say, Truger got some treats for his inaction.

I have a husky/GSD mix who is the sweetest girl in the world and is fascinated by birds. Once when we were at PetCo oggling the budgies and conures she just jammed her head right the gently caress on into the budgie cage through the ventilation grill at the bottom. The birds went apeshit and she looked happy as hell, but that was totally prey drive and another reason for me to not get birb.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
For your amusement:

via: http://tiel26.tumblr.com/post/136689904441/sophiecorrigan-anatomy-of-a-cockatiel

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's adorable :kimchi:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Someone shared that with me yesterday. I think "cockatiel preen yoga" is still my favorite goofy image like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wish I'd known about this when posting for SASS http://babesinthehood.net/Bee_Buzz_Hoody/p3136866_13883710.aspx

It's missing mutton chops and angry eyebrows