Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Icon Of Sin posted:

so dude must've gotten crushed from his 1SG, CO, and IG all at once.

The club sandwich of justice.

Also call IG. Watch the world burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

The one and only time I ever got IG involved was when someone tried to retaliate against one of my soldiers for testifying in the court martial resulting from Danny Chen's suicide. The soldier was under my supervision (as the medical LNO for our brigade while he was undergoing treatment for having his stryker roll over from an IED) and they tried to intercept him from being medevac'ed to Germany to send him back to a remote FOB in Afghanistan without a helmet or body armor, or even a uniform (let alone his weapon, which nobody who would talk to me seemed to be able to locate). I never found out the specifics of what exactly happened, but the NCO spearheading that little effort flew into a rage whenever I came across him the next few times so I guess that's a victory. I reported his 1SG to IG for what he was trying to do(the new one after that entire chain of command from team leader up to CO got relieved), so there was a double-smash of sorts going on there. Shithead had my soldier manifested on a flight and everything, and tried to lie his way through saying "New CO already approved it!". That didn't last long when the brigade surgeon (my direct boss) called that CO and found out that he had no idea what was going on, so dude must've gotten crushed from his 1SG, CO, and IG all at once.
Friendly reminder that the most serious sentence passed for that fiasco was 10mo in jail.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Friendly reminder that the most serious sentence passed for that fiasco was 10mo in jail.

The LT's punishment was an admin discharge. The fact that he was a west pointer probably had nothing to do with that, nope :jerkbag:

e: here's the sanitized wikipedia version of what led up to his suicide. I wanted to bold the worst parts, but I was going to end up bolding the entire thing. The LT ended up with his discharge after getting an article 15, whoopdee loving do.

quote:

Military investigators found that Chen was the target of ethnic slurs and endured physical attacks at the hands of his fellow soldiers before his death.[7][8] Chen had been physically and verbally abused by his superiors who singled him out for being Chinese-American. This occurred on a daily basis for six weeks.[6][9][10] As the only American soldier with Chinese ancestry in the unit, he was singled out, endured taunts including racial slurs like "gook", "chink", "Jackie Chan", "Soy Sauce" and "dragon lady,",[11] assigned excessive guard duty to the point of exhaustion, made to do push-ups while holding water in his mouth, put in a “simulated sitting position” and kicked by other soldiers using their knees, among other abuses.[12]

He was allegedly pelted with stones by fellow soldiers and forced to crawl across gravel until his suicide.[13] On September 27, 2011, a sergeant dragged Chen out of bed and over 15 metres (49 ft) of gravel, leaving visible bruises and cuts on Chen's back. Although the incident was reported to Chen's platoon sergeant and squad leader, it was not reported to superior officers.[12] On October 3, 2011, the day he died, other soldiers forced him to crawl on gravel for over 100 metres (330 ft) while carrying equipment, as his comrades threw rocks at him.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Danny_Chen#Mistreatment

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Icon Of Sin posted:

The LT's punishment was an admin discharge. The fact that he was a west pointer probably had nothing to do with that, nope :jerkbag:

e: here's the sanitized wikipedia version of what led up to his suicide. I wanted to bold the worst parts, but I was going to end up bolding the entire thing. The LT ended up with his discharge after getting an article 15, whoopdee loving do.

Wasabi the J posted:

People think they honor me when they talk about my military service, but poo poo like this is what I'm genuinely fearful of being associated with.

I try not to dwell too much on the horrible and hosed up racist things I heard and saw when I was in the military. Part of me wished I had said something but they were NCOs and welp.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Jesus gently caress murder all officers.

Followed shortly by the senior enlisted and then regular noncoms.

And then the non-rates I guess, gently caress it just glass the whole retched system.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I get racism in a humor way, like joking amongst friends and poo poo. Like in WLC we were talking about stereotypes and everyone was like "chicken, watermelon, Koop-aid lol!" But I asked my friend sitting next to me if he knew any about white people, he looked me dead in the eyes and said "Mayonnaise." I lost my poo poo.

But I can't believe that a single person did not see or hear this, and stand the gently caress up. I gives a gently caress about the army as a whole, but there are just certain things you don't do to people.

We had a Chinese guy we made fun of at AFN, but it was mainly because he was clueless. He never fought back so our CSM was trying to teach him to yell poo poo in mandarin when poo poo went wrong. Dude was weird though, I saw him get yelled at by a LTC from the Netherlands at a range because he couldn't draw, cock, and fire twice at a target in 3 seconds. He got to draw, cock, then BUUUUUZZZZZZZ! "GODDmn it ping!" He was also asking advice on how to pick up girls, which was cute. He also HATED gps units, and would go everywhere by map. He ended up late to that range by like an hour, pissin everyone off. He didn't kill himself, though he got caught up in that murder so that saw him in jail I think. Not too sure.

Edit yup, just checked, 6 months for false testimony.

Double editor nope, that someone else, he actually hid the fact that he was there until he was contacted by CID

Soulex fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2016

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Soulex posted:

But I can't believe that a single person did not see or hear this, and stand the gently caress up. I gives a gently caress about the army as a whole, but there are just certain things you don't do to people.

No matter who or what somebody in my platoon is he or she's still a fellow soldier and I'll expect them to cover my rear end as I would theirs. Shitheads, gear queers, pakis, kikes and dykes alike. loving kill that platoon leader to let that poo poo roll.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Force de Fappe posted:

No matter who or what somebody in my platoon is he or she's still a fellow soldier and I'll expect them to cover my rear end as I would theirs. Shitheads, gear queers, pakis, kikes and dykes alike. loving kill that platoon leader to let that poo poo roll.

I was going on a people deserve respect thing, but if you wanna drag Hooah into this, sure. I agree.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Thump! posted:

Jesus gently caress murder all officers.

Followed shortly by the senior enlisted and then regular noncoms.

And then the non-rates I guess, gently caress it just glass the whole retched planet.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

not caring here posted:

My experience was that it was always loving hilarious. Mainly because I never had enough rank for it to bother me personally in any meaningful way, but seeing turds dive for cover was delicious.

I IG'd the gently caress out of my boss's boss after she gave me a written letter of counseling that no joke said my 'actions were prejudicial to good order and discipline by threatening to report her to the Equal Opportunity office.' IG laughed their asses off and routed that poo poo up to PACAF IG, since technically counseling isn't reprisal but it warranted a look at the command climate. Next thing I know the wing commander was coming down hard and it was loving hysterical watching everyone throw each other under the bus to avoid it. Felt kinda bad since I'd just gotten a brand new commander who was actually a cool dude about the whole thing, even though I could tell he was getting blindsided since the SNCOs never told him poo poo when things went wrong.

I saved the LOC as a testament to how loving dumb a SNCO can be to literally incriminate themselves in writing and hand it to someone with every reason in the world to burn them. I still walked with a stellar evaluation and a dec from the tour.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
A battalion commander at my last unit had a full battalion formation to tell his soldiers to stop reporting so much sexual harassment, it was bumming him out. He got relieved the next week.

Months later I was picking up my DD214 and he came in to get his retirement orders.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress that whole unit from the top down. Also, IG the poo poo out of any officer who covers up a single sexual assault, much less makes a policy of it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Have to say not having to deal with any women at all 98% of the time I was in the Navy sure helped me to avoid any of that bullshit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'm reading that the LT got a Dismissal instead of chaptering. I thought that bore the same weight and penalties as a DD?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I recall a bunch of psychologists actually came to my battalion/brigade for a command climate survey because I guess people hated it so much to the point they would threaten suicide or some poo poo. The worst offense I can think of was the 1SG would force people to stay at the unit- overnight, sleeping there, if anyone was out training. Even married personnel and dudes in the barracks which is literally a one minute walk away. Some motarded poo poo where "IF ONE PERSON IS SUCKING WE ALL HAVE TO SUCK!", and it was during a high-tempo time period. I think it got so bad that it started to affect people's marriages (because let's face it, to a civilian wife that would be utterly mindboggling why their husband would be forced to sleep on a concrete floor at the unit for that reason) and one of the married dudes reported it to IG.

Needless to say we never had to do that stupid poo poo again. Honestly I feel like a lot of these issues stem from really loving stupid and simplistic ideas that sound sensible at a glance, like sure, brotherhood and camaraderie and making sure dudes in the rear aren't living it up while the rest of the unit suffers all sounds fair. Even forcing dudes to be steely-eyed statues in a guard tower for 12 hours because you think it will increase security and discipline, like, I can see where it comes from. But it's loving stupid when you actually think about it. Married soldiers' relationships are strained when they have to tell their wives they can't come home tonight because they are forced to sleep on the locker room floor for no good reason, and sitting in a guard tower for 12 hours with no stimulus melts people's psyche.

The Army shouldn't be so horrible of an experience that it forces rational people out after 3-4 years. It's kind of sad that the climate in the military from top to bottom is so toxic and terrible that you can't even enjoy Saturday because you know tomorrow is Sunday and that's just one day away from Monday. Someone post that video where soldiers are sitting in cages in a concrete hellhole with nothing to do but they can't leave.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 5, 2016

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
We had a command climate survey which is pretty normal. It's supposed to be anonymous but the command thought it would be a great idea to keep a record of who got what random login ID but that wasn't even an issue because a bunch of people just straight up put their names at the beginning of the comments.

We had a big command meeting when the results came back with our captain briefing us on the results. They amounted to junior enlisted are unhappy and think leadership is loving up, senior leadership thinks everything is fine and junior enlisted are just big dumb dumbs. I get it, they are covering their asses.

A year or so later she rotated out and we got a new CO. In his 2nd or 3rd week he held his own big command meeting and laid it all out for us: if he didn't fix the hosed up state of the command it was the end of his career. If he fixed it, he got a star. Our security posture was so bad we were at risk of losing our clearance as a command. Last CO had changed our mission so many times we may as well not have had one and we were at risk of being decommissioned as a shore command.

Leadership was so hosed up and none of them wanted to acknowledge it. New CO man turned things around and now he is an O-7 or something. For a noble he was pretty cool.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 5, 2016

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Justin Tyme posted:

The Army shouldn't be so horrible of an experience that it forces rational people out after 3-4 years. It's kind of sad that the climate in the military from top to bottom is so toxic and terrible that you can't even enjoy Saturday because you know tomorrow is Sunday and that's just one day away from Monday.
Nail on the head. It's so backwards and awful that anyone with sense gets out ASAP, leaving only the people who get off on the dumb motoboner crap or the very few who think the can do something to fix it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

We had a command climate survey which is pretty normal. It's supposed to be anonymous but the command thought it would be a great idea to keep a record of who got what random login ID but that wasn't even an issue because a bunch of people just straight up put their names at the beginning of the comments.

We had a big command meeting when the results came back with our captain briefing us on the results. They amounted to junior enlisted are unhappy and think leadership is loving up, senior leadership thinks everything is fine and junior enlisted are just big dumb dumbs. I get it, they are covering their asses.

A year or so later she rotated out and we got a new CO. In his 2nd or 3rd week he held his own big command meeting and laid it all out for us: if he didn't fix the hosed up state of the command it was the end of his career. If he fixed it, he got a star. Our security posture was so bad we were at risk of losing our clearance as a command. Last CO had changed our mission so many times we may as well not have had one and we were at risk of being decommissioned as a shore command.

Leadership was so hosed up and none of them wanted to acknowledge it. New CO man turned things around and now he is an O-7 or something. For a noble he was pretty cool.
This is only a good story if you also tell us what happened to the previous CO.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
She's probably a 2-star.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'm reading that the LT got a Dismissal instead of chaptering. I thought that bore the same weight and penalties as a DD?

Dismissal is basicially the same as a DD.
I think those are civilians saying the LT was dismissed from the Army without understanding that a Dismissal is a term of art. You can only get a dismissal from a General Court Martial.
He was chaptered/AdSeped. Officer discharges can be Honorable, General Under Honorable Conditions, and Other Than Honorable. I can't find what Schwartz's characterization of discharge was, news reports say the terms were kept confidential.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah that sounds like laziness. Pretty sure it's public record.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten about that. They probably shouldn't have stopped at the lieutenant, somebody higher up than that had to have had an inkling that poo poo like that was going on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten about that. They probably shouldn't have stopped at the lieutenant, somebody higher up than that had to have had an inkling that poo poo like that was going on.

CO and 1SG got relieved, but that's as high as it went and all that happened to them, as far as I ever knew. They were out on a platoon COP, so the LT was the highest ranking person regularly nearby. Chen was on my flight to Afghanistan (where someone decided to make me the chalk leader, aka someone to blame when a weapon went missing) so I get a bit more pissed about that entire situation than I would've to start with (it's still horrifically maddening to begin with).

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Reading that poo poo was infuriating. I never saw outright racism like that while I was in, except a dumb redneck from Arkansas who would talk about "niggers" when our black soldiers weren't around but would say poo poo like "they're the good ones". gently caress man how do you do that kind of poo poo to your own guys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I was reading that I thought "Ok, so this like in the 40s or something, that has to be it." 2011? How the gently caress can multiple people in the same place be like that in 2011? They all should have been hung by that Woods guy in WWII for poo poo like that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They keep recruiting racists.

In reception, all these white bred hillbillies thought they were the pinnacle of sophistication and cultural enlightenment because they would say ninja instead of friend of the family. The head inbred of that dumb poo poo ran afoul of some of these aforementioned ninjas in the shower one evening and had to be hospitalized. A lot quit in reception because they were obviously turds and their girlfriends waited for them to leave before dear johning them, and more quit in basic because they were some weak minded bitches, but plenty made it through to be wonderful racists who now have the funding and health insurance to raise a dozen more racist turds.

This could all be easily fixed by someone at MEPS looking through their Facebook page for a few minutes though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Reception? Is that like some pre-basic type thing?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Reception? Is that like some pre-basic type thing?

Yeah you get to a reception center and get issued your basic uniforms and poo poo, do paperwork etc. You essentially get babysat by a drill sergeant (or in my case a non drill sergeant who just worked at 30th AG) until your receiving basic training unit is ready to take a new cycle of recruits. I think I was there for about 2 weeks. It's especially retarded because the idiots that failed basic or tried to fake kill themselves to get out of it get stuck doing basic bitchwork. Boots are loving retarded so you think that these guys with PFC rank have authority over you when they're telling you all sorts of dumb poo poo about actual basic training on the first day.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2016

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

evil_bunnY posted:

This is only a good story if you also tell us what happened to the previous CO.

I had to look it up but lol she retired a few years ago as an O6 and then got a job at that same command she ruined as a civilian with the title Executive Director.
Just fuckin lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had to look it up but lol she retired a few years ago as an O6 and then got a job at that same command she ruined as a civilian with the title Executive Director.
Just fuckin lol
Yeah that sounds about right. Can't RUIN SOMEONE'S CAREER (if they're a noble, offer does not apply to enlisted) for one little mistake in judgement.

That just wouldn't be fair. Everyone (like me) deserves another chance (at a cushy, bullshit job).

*dishonorably discharges someone for weed on block leave*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

not caring here posted:

This could all be easily fixed by someone at MEPS looking through their Facebook page for a few minutes though.

I make 72k a year doing this for hiring managers

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Booblord Zagats posted:

I make 72k a year doing this for hiring managers

drat. You hiring?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Error 404 posted:

drat. You hiring?

I only got the job because my brother owns the company

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So I'm assuming you have some winners to tell us about?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

not caring here posted:

So I'm assuming you have some winners to tell us about?

TBH its mostly just people who occasionally say dumb poo poo on facebook and you give the hirer a warning about them, the real poo poo that fucks people is crazy lies on their resume, like degrees from obvious scam schools, not putting felonies on their hire sheet, etc. White collar PI work is boring. But I have found a few people applying to work in banks and car dealerships who've done a decent amount of porn, but I wouldn't report them to anything but a church or a school if they were hiring,

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I was told we weren't allowed to have black guys man the radio for firing mortars. In fairness this rule extended to anyone who talked like a loving moron (aka everyone from the south).

Really the only racist thing I saw/heard in my time.

Also, when I read that a guy is getting dragged across gravel and was assigned "extra post until exhaustion", I just wonder how loving stupid he was. It takes two to haze.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

I was told we weren't allowed to have black guys man the radio for firing mortars. In fairness this rule extended to anyone who talked like a loving moron (aka everyone from the south).

Really the only racist thing I saw/heard in my time.

Also, when I read that a guy is getting dragged across gravel and was assigned "extra post until exhaustion", I just wonder how loving stupid he was. It takes two to haze.

yea i didnt see anything really racist unless it was toward rabs. we didnt have a lot of blacks or asians tho, was pretty much a 50/50 split of whites and hispanics

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Victor Vermis posted:

Ah yes, the Colonel Jessup defense.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Victor Vermis posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
i bet he was wearing something really slutty too, guys