Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

the trump tutelage posted:

Wookieepedia says the TIE/fo of the First Order "kept the TIE/LN starfighter design for their fighters, but upgraded the ship to modern combat standards," whatever that means. The new ones are also smaller. The FO's Star Destroyers were also much newer and larger than the Empire equivalent, albeit fewer in number.

Where do you get the impression that the FO's tech isn't uniformly advanced?

12 X-wings mollywhopping their fighters at their stronghold while simultaneously taking out the heart of the Deathstar in what are, apparently, not even the newest X-wings makes me think the FO aren't using top of the line fighters. They also aren't using interceptors, so either their resources are limited (despite, again, building a Deathstar out of a planet, or as pointed out earlier, because of it), they don't have access to better ships, or there aren't better ships for them to obtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hazo posted:

Based on what I read, this scene was supposed take place after Maz traveled with Han/Chewie/Finn to the Resistance base. Not at the end.

Well if that's the case, it's roughly the same thing: in the original version, Finn gives it to Maz, who gives it to Leia. Leia then asks Finn to go out and convince Rey to become a Jedi.

In either case, it was changed from being Leia's idea to being Rey's idea.

Hazo posted:

After seeing it a second time I agree. In fact the whole part from when Han scoops them up until the Force vision I felt pretty disinterested. Even the tentacle monsters bit didn't really do anything for me.

Here's the thing: we already have an magical old woman character who wants to pass on Luke Skywalker's teachings to a new generation: Leia.

Maz and Leia should have been condensed into a single character, because there's little or nothing in the film that differentiates them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

hemale in pain posted:

Tentacles felt like something from Rebels or the Clone wars cartoon so I sorta enjoyed but it was out of place.

I feel like they were going to have him transporting 3 rancors and then they decided that was too repetitive so they turned them into tentacle blobs and called them "rathtars" because that's almost the same- but not!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

turtlecrunch posted:

I feel like they were going to have him transporting 3 rancors and then they decided that was too repetitive so they turned them into tentacle blobs and called them "rathtars" because that's almost the same- but not!

Should've just given us Gundarks. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Xeremides posted:

Those are top of the line X-Wings, though.

Nah, the ones the resistance has are T-70s. The Republic fleet proper was using T-85s.

EDIT: Whoops, posted without refreshing; this was discussed!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That Ep I puppet is just insane. I can't get over how bad it looks.

I don't know how they ended up being so off-model from the original, but in that instance I forgive Lucasfilm for using a CG replacement.

Serf
May 5, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

It did kind of bum me out that they spent so much effort and care making real alien puppets only to have the two aliens with speaking roles (Snoke and Maz) be fully CG. I guess to most people talking puppets look bad, but I still think the puppet Yoda from Empire holds up way better than his CG counterpart in the prequels.

Original PT and RotJ look a little rough though.

I prefer CGI Yoda to the puppet Yoda, and this image right here shows just how godawful the TPM puppet Yoda looks. Seriously he looks like he just poo poo himself in the middle of a council meeting and is hoping no one notices. Good lord.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Comparing yodas from screenshots doesn't mean a whole lot because they also move completely differently.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

To be fair all the Jedi masters kinda have that going on.

E: looking intensely preoccupied with their digestive systems, I mean

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FutonForensic posted:

It did kind of bum me out that they spent so much effort and care making real alien puppets only to have the two aliens with speaking roles (Snoke and Maz) be fully CG.

This post is worth... hmm, zero portions.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Serf posted:

I prefer CGI Yoda to the puppet Yoda, and this image right here shows just how godawful the TPM puppet Yoda looks. Seriously he looks like he just poo poo himself in the middle of a council meeting and is hoping no one notices. Good lord.

I get the impression (or make the assumption) that Jim Henson and Frank Oz took Yoda's appearance in Empire very seriously, and wanted a puppet that looked less like a muppet, and more like a wizened little creature that would appear in Labyrinth before The Muppet Show.

Yoda from The Phantom Menace looks like a muppet that would've been put on stage by Kermit to sing Cream's "Strange Brew" in a wizard's lab or something. Henson had been dead for a while.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

It did kind of bum me out that they spent so much effort and care making real alien puppets only to have the two aliens with speaking roles (Snoke and Maz) be fully CG. I guess to most people talking puppets look bad, but I still think the puppet Yoda from Empire holds up way better than his CG counterpart in the prequels.

Original PT and RotJ look a little rough though.

I just YouTubed some scenes from Empire, and I think the reason Yoda holds up so well is that his whole character is designed with being a limited motion puppet in mind. He's small and hunched over with a cane so him waddling around is not out of place. His face is a thousand year old alien face so the limited facial expression and mouth movement (obligatory sexist "more than Carrie Fischer in TFA lol" joke) isn't super noticeable. They use his size to hide him behind things, they use the Dagobah setting to place him in front of rocks and poo poo to manipulate the puppet. They also had the all-time greats Frank Oz and Jim Henson involved in making this all work as well as it possibly could.

So yeah, Yoda does work awesomely. But the art of puppet sfx has presumably plateaued barring robotic facial expressions and the like. So unless you want a bunch of characters that are super similar in their limitations and presentations, it makes sense to use CG for all the extra options it presents.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

The rando dinosaurs running around Mos Eisley is pretty blatant but yeah, the stuff people actually care about in the SE is probably limited the underside of 10 minutes.

They're not big changes, but a few quick things can change the tenor of the scene. Luke screaming when he falls down Cloud City in Empire, versus the original where he accepts his fate and chooses to fall rather than join Vader. Then the whole Han Shot First deal, which is an important tidbit when introducing the character.

I wouldn't mind the special editions if it was easier to find an OG remaster DVD set, other than downloading Harmy's DeSpecialized Editions. My old '92 VHS box set is not holding up well at all.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's also got something to do with the eyes. OT Yoda looks like he's high, but PT puppet Yoda looks like someone killed Yoda and stuffed his corpse.

Also I remember reading a magazine article or something about AotC before it came out that talked about how Yoda would now be fully CGI and be doing things we'd never seen him do before that got me really hyped for some reason. I thought the fight scene with Dooku was pretty rad, so I guess it worked.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

The movie is about the interaction between the old and new generation, and how the results of the past have shaped the future that the new generation must deal with. Nothing is trampled on. Han and Leia's romance is realized with Kylo (who's actions are influenced by every one of the old generation), Luke stops the Empire and brings substantial peace to the galaxy, creating a new jedi council and living life in a way natural to -his- older generation. Han's entire arc in the film consists of trying to bury his past and accepting that he must face it.

You can like the prequels and not be insane or demand inoffensive mediocrity.

"Inoffensive mediocrity" is apparently actually doing something new with history as laid down by the OT instead of resetting the state of the Jedi and the Republic back to roughly how they were before the OT begins? I didn't even mention the prequels as anything other than a reference point for how Yoda and Obi-Wan were fleshed out later on. If you want to make a movie about "how the past shaped the future that the new generation must deal with", then actually engage with what goes on in the OT rather than saying "Luke and Leia totally failed and the galaxy is roughly the same as it was before the original movies began." Give these characters a chance to play out their own parts, respectful of what came before and unique to them, rather than shoehorning them into the roles characters had from the original trilogy so that the new trilogy can re-do moments from the old. Which is what they might do in the next two movies, I'm saying that The Force Awakens seemed too concerned with providing a rough facsimile of the state of the galaxy in A New Hope so TFA could resemble it. If Luke and Leia are killed off or made irrelevant in the next movie/s, after so much of their impact on the galaxy has already been, in essence, reset, then Disney is not really utilizing those characters, or the fact that these are supposed to be direct sequels to the original trilogy, to their full potential.

Shageletic posted:

The only problem TFA had with Luke and Leia was involving them too much in the movie. "Shunt" them the hell out of it I say. And its super hilarious you're citing the EU as something good. As someone who read like a dozen of that drek as a kid, they were absolute poo poo then and incredibly poo poo now. Fan service, nerdy pathologies, red headed ladies in skin tight suits ahoy, they were bad.

TFA should have had more of the courage of ripping any obeisance to the past aside and make something new. As it is, it serves as a good foundation for someone really inspired to make something, hopefully, new.

I didn't say the EU was good at all, I said that the new books and comics, in many ways, don't seem any better. They haven't capitalized on the removal of all that dead weight enough, to the point that some authors are just re-"canon"izing dumb EU poo poo. And my whole point is, if they're going to use the originals as a foundation, they should actually confront that head on and do something new with the old characters rather than just making Luke serve the Obi-Wan/Yoda role and Leia serve the role of "various good guy leader characters" from the originals. But yes, if they aren't going to do anything interesting with the old characters from the movies that is respectful of them, then they should have just done a trilogy that takes place in the distant future, long after all the old characters are gone. This is all hypothetical, though, because it's possible they'll do more with Luke and Leia in the next two movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FutonForensic posted:

I don't know how they ended up being so off-model from the original, but in that instance I forgive Lucasfilm for using a CG replacement.

Technically speaking, it's because it's a more sophisticated puppet. There are more complex mechanisms underneath, and they tweaked the anatomy to be more 'realistic'. The Episode 1 puppet actually looks like a (distorted) human face, while the original Yoda is a frog thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do we have to spoiler anything in this thread anymore?

From TFA obviously. Not Ep 8

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Casual posted:

Then the whole Han Shot First deal, which is an important tidbit when introducing the character.

Greedo shooting or not shooting really doesn't change much of anything if you look at how the scene plays out. People like to say stuff to the effect of "Well if greedo doesn't shoot, then Han is just a cold blooded murderer, or at least way more 'badass' than if he waits to be shot at first". But really, in both versions of the scene, Greedo has a gun pointed at him, and is saying "That's the idea" in response to "over my dead body". He's facing down a clear threat, and whether or not Greedo gets a shot off first doesn't change that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

euphronius posted:

Do we have to spoiler anything in this thread anymore?

From TFA obviously. Not Ep 8

Until January 17th, jesus.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Most people in this thread have only seen the film 3 or 4 times, let's have some respect and let the average get up to 5 before we stop spoilering things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is that China release?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a dumb scene that idiots have latched onto being so important when in reality it was when Han and Chewie sit down with Obi Wan the first time discussing things you get to see how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. Who cares about loving Greedo.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Filthy Casual posted:

They're not big changes, but a few quick things can change the tenor of the scene. Luke screaming when he falls down Cloud City in Empire, versus the original where he accepts his fate and chooses to fall rather than join Vader. Then the whole Han Shot First deal, which is an important tidbit when introducing the character.

I wouldn't mind the special editions if it was easier to find an OG remaster DVD set, other than downloading Harmy's DeSpecialized Editions. My old '92 VHS box set is not holding up well at all.

They took out that Luke scream in... I want to say the 2004 DVD release? Of course, that's when they added Hayden Christensen, Force Ghost, so one step forward, one step back.

A few of the Special Edition (and later) changes I actually kind of liked? Or at least got used to since they're the version of the movie I mostly grew up with (although I did used to have those THX videos with the black covers as a really small child).They did a lot of CGI work to make the Cloud City sets look more open and city-like instead of just being nothing but white enclosed corridors. The original ESB emperor was pretty cool, but if you're watching the trilogy all the way through it's nice to have him match the rest of the movie. They got rid of the vaseline smear that hid the wheels on Luke's landspeeder. Putting that scene where Luke talks to Biggs was an opportunity to show us who the gently caress that moustache guy was and why Luke cared when he died, without totally ruining the pacing of the beginning of the movie by including the whole Anchorhead scene. I even kind of like the montage of planets celebrating the Emperor's death, especially in light of the new canon where the Empire quickly crumbled instead of holding on for years of EU tie-ins.

On the other hand, Greedo shoots first and "Jedi Rocks" is probably the single most loving stupid scene in all of Star Wars, prequels inclusive.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I guess it depends on Tatooine's stand your ground laws

I'm certain there's an answer to this in the EU because lmao of course there is

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This post is worth... hmm, zero portions.
edit: Never mind, read that backwards

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

It's a dumb scene that idiots have latched onto being so important when in reality it was when Han and Chewie sit down with Obi Wan the first time discussing things you get to see how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. Who cares about loving Greedo.

I do because I can't watch that scene legally in a modern format without seeing all of Lucas' weird changes.

It's more of the principal of the thing. Almost every popular film gives me a choice. Star Wars doesn't. That's fuckkkked.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Beeez posted:

"Inoffensive mediocrity" is apparently actually doing something new with history as laid down by the OT instead of resetting the state of the Jedi and the Republic back to roughly how they were before the OT begins? I didn't even mention the prequels as anything other than a reference point for how Yoda and Obi-Wan were fleshed out later on. If you want to make a movie about "how the past shaped the future that the new generation must deal with", then actually engage with what goes on in the OT rather than saying "Luke and Leia totally failed and the galaxy is roughly the same as it was before the original movies began." Give these characters a chance to play out their own parts, respectful of what came before and unique to them, rather than shoehorning them into the roles characters had from the original trilogy so that the new trilogy can re-do moments from the old. Which is what they might do in the next two movies, I'm saying that The Force Awakens seemed too concerned with providing a rough facsimile of the state of the galaxy in A New Hope so TFA could resemble it. If Luke and Leia are killed off or made irrelevant in the next movie/s, after so much of their impact on the galaxy has already been, in essence, reset, then Disney is not really utilizing those characters, or the fact that these are supposed to be direct sequels to the original trilogy, to their full potential.
"My fanfiction was better."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When I watched Empire the other week it was the only one where the special edition changes were mostly pretty seamless and didn't actively damage the film. Maybe one or two shots of Cloud City were kind of out of place, and the Emporer's replacement hologram looks way too clean, and the full Wampa is kind of poo poo looking, but overall it's a masterpiece compared to the job they did on ANH and ROTJ.

They probably should have taken the $1 million they spent on Jedi Rocks and used it to make the speeder chase look good. I do love Jedi Rocks though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

When I watched Empire the other week it was the only one where the special edition changes were mostly pretty seamless and didn't actively damage the film. Maybe one or two shots of Cloud City were kind of out of place, and the Emporer's replacement hologram looks way too clean, and the full Wampa is kind of poo poo looking, but overall it's a masterpiece compared to the job they did on ANH and ROTJ.

They probably should have taken the $1 million they spent on Jedi Rocks and used it to make the speeder chase look good. I do love Jedi Rocks though.

The extra post-Luke/Vader battle scenes of Vader returning to the SSD are unnecessary, and just feel tedious.

But, the Palpatine scenes are a huge upgrade, and the Wampa stuff is just a bonus. The Cloudy City spruce-ups were fine, and removing the Luke scream was common sense.

Does ANH still have the echo in the Death Star chasm? That was annoying.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

the trump tutelage posted:

"My fanfiction was better."

It's not a matter of wanting them do a specific plot so much as thinking that redoing the old plot at the expense of forward momentum for certain characters and concepts from the movies it's derivative of is a poor choice, and that these characters are iconic and beloved enough to deserve better when they go to the trouble of resurrecting them after over 30 years. If they do more with these characters and concepts in the next two movies, then of course my concerns are moot.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I wouldn't have minded Jedi Rocks too much if it hadn't... happened the way it did.

I do think the whole sequence is pretty funny now, but thats mostly with the benefit of hindsight.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Are you kidding? Jedi Rocks is legitimately a highlight of the movie for some kids just getting into Star Wars. The alien singer gets a name and backstory in the Clone Wars cartoon, which kids adore—Jedi Rocks is, for them, a cool cameo.

They also just plain don't have the critical filter or inclination to segregate the weirdness of Star Wars into Good, Pure Childhood Memories and Bad, Not-My-Star-Wars Lucas Dreck. And when they do age enough to develop those? Well, if they grew up with the special editions and that's all they've ever known, Jedi Rocks will still likely be as much of the ~~magic of Star Wars~~ as the orginal cantina band.

And lol if you think a single SE change other than Jedi Rocks and the Han-Jabba spaceport scene is even detectable/meaningful to non-crazies. They added more storm troopers to the Death Star!!??! The horror, childhood ruined

Dude, tons and tons of people have problems with the SE Changes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We're finally getting the Star Wars game we deserve!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Like many of us when we were kids we wanted to be like Luke skywalker or obi one kinobi, but like all of us, we do not live in a galaxy far far away.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

jivjov posted:

Greedo shooting or not shooting really doesn't change much of anything if you look at how the scene plays out. People like to say stuff to the effect of "Well if greedo doesn't shoot, then Han is just a cold blooded murderer, or at least way more 'badass' than if he waits to be shot at first". But really, in both versions of the scene, Greedo has a gun pointed at him, and is saying "That's the idea" in response to "over my dead body". He's facing down a clear threat, and whether or not Greedo gets a shot off first doesn't change that.

If Greedo shoots and misses at that range, it eliminates him as a credible threat...he's right across the table. If Han has the reflexes to dodge a point blank shot at his head, he's showing straight Jedi skillz. In the original scene, Han says "I bet you are" and blasts him, which flows a lot better than a retaliatory shot.

Red posted:

Does ANH still have the echo in the Death Star chasm? That was annoying.

As I found out after just watching Harmy's DeSpecialized edit, that's OG. It would kinda make sense, though.

Filthy Casual fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

quote:

I am currently looking into talking with Disney if I am able to do this. If not then there might have to be a compromise on the name or some other parts. I need your help. I am not a very good programmer, and I'm an even worst artist. I want to put this project into the hands of professionals, but in order to do that I need money to hire them. This was my dream as a kid I hope you can share my same compassion, thank you.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Doobie's Jedi House

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If we can run a Kickstarter for major properties we don't own or have rights to, and have no talent to build content for, then holy poo poo, I'm starting one for an open world RPG that combines Airwolf, Bionic Six, Marvel Comics, and American Gladiators.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wanted to say thats just some young kid and not to be taken seriously but it appears to be from the mind of a broken adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Red posted:

If we can run a Kickstarter for major properties we don't own or have rights to, and have no talent to build content for, then holy poo poo, I'm starting one for an open world RPG that combines Airwolf, Bionic Six, Marvel Comics, and American Gladiators.

Yeah and 38 people are willing to pay an average of 200 dollars to support this guy's idea to email Disney and hire other people to make a Star Wars game.

• Locked thread