Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Filthy Casual posted:

If Greedo shoots and misses at that range, it eliminates him as a credible threat...he's right across the table. If Han has the reflexes to dodge a point blank shot at his head, he's showing straight Jedi skillz. In the original scene, Han says "I bet you are" and blasts him, which flows a lot better than a retaliatory shot.

If Han attempts to jump to light speed and fails, it eliminates him as a credible pilot -- his ship has got a lot of custom modifications. Not having anybody fail at anything flows a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah and 38 people are willing to pay an average of 200 dollars to support this guy's idea to email Disney and hire other people to make a Star Wars game.

I'm guessing the people who backed at $1500 are assuming it won't be funded.

Boy they'll be sorry!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

quote:

Star Wars Update One

Updated some of what the game will be about. Tried to create a mental image of how the game will look and feel.

Looking forward to the update to see if he succeeded at at least creating his own mental image, or if he will need more money for help.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah and 38 people are willing to pay an average of 200 dollars to support this guy's idea to email Disney and hire other people to make a Star Wars game.

0 of those people made serious pledges. All the comments are people making fun of him, and you can't leave comments unless you're a backer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

0 of those people made serious pledges. All the comments are people making fun of him, and you can't leave comments unless you're a backer.

Oh duh. I kind of thought you had to put in payment info on pledge, but I guess that wouldn't matter anyway unless it got funded.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

"Devin Tripp" posted:

Hi I am Devin Tripp I am 20 years old and I have owned businesses ranging from clothing to stocks. I have learned and changed a lot in such short time. There is still much to learn, and I know that I am better prepared for the future to come.

Well uh cool. I'm glad your about to learn something new!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh duh. I kind of thought you had to put in payment info on pledge, but I guess that wouldn't matter anyway unless it got funded.

And you can always cancel your pledge after making mocking comments.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Oh man I can't wait to get this game a "day or two ahead" of other people!

I hope he calls it something original like "Star Wars Galaxies" or something.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

dialhforhero posted:

Oh man I can't wait to get this game a "day or two ahead" of other people!

I hope he calls it something original like "Star Wars Galaxies" or something.

I'm wondering what the consequences are for trying to raise money using Disney IP?

Edit: I hope it turns out he's a CWC-level of WTF-ery.

Edit2: VVV Don't Leech VVV

Red fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 5, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

He likely won't get the rights from Disney, so I hope at least this guy will make an appearance:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe it's Nathan fielder

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

UP AND ADAM posted:

Dude, tons and tons of people have problems with the SE Changes.

Oh, sure—just read the thread and that's blatantly obvious. What i am glibly suggesting is that people without a significant emotional connection to 'original' 'unaltered' 'pure' star wars, well, don't, and likely never will. I work with nerdy kids and have yet to meet a kid under 12 into star wars with anything but adoration for the prequel/clone wars material, and they are spectacularly unconcerned with version sperg. (Well, there was this one kid named kal-el who would pipe up a lot with 'daddy says' when the other kids would start talking star wars, his dad wouldn't let him watch clone wars :( ).

And I would be very much surprised if they ever start caring.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 5, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Oh, sure—just read the thread and that's blatantly obvious. What i am glibly suggesting is that people without a significant emotional connection to 'original' 'unaltered' 'pure' star wars, well, don't, and likely never will. I work with nerdy kids and have yet to meet a kid under 12 into star wars with anything but adoration for the prequel/clone wars material. (Well, there was this one kid named kal-el who would pipe up a lot with 'daddy says' when the other kids would start talking star wars, his dad wouldn't let him watch clone wars :( ).

You know Nicolas Cage?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I work with nerdy kids and have yet to meet a kid under 12 into star wars with anything but adoration for the prequel/clone wars material, and they are spectacularly unconcerned with version sperg.

I do too and honestly it's kinda mixed. A lot of them love clone wars but are more mixed on the prequels themselves. My 11 year old sister was unsure about seeing TFA because she loves the originals but didn't like the prequels. Clone Wars seems to be largely the way to go for prequel stuff for kids I've noticed though. A lot of them like Clone Wars more than they like the OT.

I think Clone Wars probably is the definitive Star Wars for a lot of kids. I won't say it eclipses the films but I suspect that a lot of younger folk's idea of Anakin Skywalker is Skyguy and Ahsoka.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Someone post this as a comment:

Disney Antipiracy posted:

Thank you for your correspondence. If you contacted us to report a suspected misuse of our intellectual properties we want you to know that we appreciate the time you took to bring this matter to our attention. We protect our intellectual property rights vigorously and we take reports of suspected infringement seriously. However, as you can appreciate, investigations are confidential. We neither reveal our sources nor generally correspond further with them about any investigation.

Please feel free to use our email address (tips@disneyantipiracy.com) or our Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300, if you want to provide more information about the suspected infringement or to report a suspected infringement in the future.

Very truly yours,

Antipiracy Group, Corporate Legal
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-1378
+818-560-3300
Tips@DisneyAntipiracy.com

Edit:

He just updated his Kickstarter, and some people retracted their pledges:

quote:

Pre Intro: This whole project was created solely by me, Devin Tripp. I do not have permission from Disney to create this game as of now. Disney has no part of this as of now. I have received a reply from Disney telling me to ask Lucas Films.

Red fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 6, 2016

Kaiba
Apr 4, 2004
Bay, just have a mash, bay.

Red posted:

At least the medals made sense. Is the orb a gift to the Naboo from Nass? Is it a gift from the Naboo to Nass? Is it a gift from the Jedi to both? Is it a thing Nass won in a crane game? Is it the power core from the droid control ship? It is absolute guesswork to figure out what it's supposed to be, and nothing hints at what it could be. It's lazy as poo poo, and it's only there because George Lucas likely said, "They should have an orb to hold up at the end to signify their relationship,", without actually clarifying what it is or does. He had the foundation of an idea, but never fleshed it out, and no one bothered to ask him.

In the previous star wars thread, Cnut explained how it's based on the Frog Prince fairy tale:

Cnut the Great posted:

In the Frog Prince fairy tale, everything begins when the frog retrieves the princess's golden ball from the watery abyss in exchange for her promise of respect and companionship. The princess at first tries mightily to avoid keeping her promise to the ugly frog, but by the end of the tale it is revealed that the frog was in fact a noble prince all along, and the two are happily wed.

The Phantom Menace likewise ends with the triumphant union of princess and frog, as symbolized by the princess humbly ceding her precious "golden ball" (representing Peace) to her frog companion in a wedding-like ceremony. In doing so, she acknowledges the debt of gratitude she owes the frog for retrieving the golden ball in the first place, and affirms the necessity of their symbiotic union in sustaining the peace it represents.

The story thread involving the Queen and the Gungans is very explicitly based on the classic Frog Prince fairy tale. Which is probably why Jar Jar is said to be the "key" to everything. It's actually fairly clever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cnut is a really good poster.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Oh, sure—just read the thread and that's blatantly obvious. What i am glibly suggesting is that people without a significant emotional connection to 'original' 'unaltered' 'pure' star wars, well, don't, and likely never will. I work with nerdy kids and have yet to meet a kid under 12 into star wars with anything but adoration for the prequel/clone wars material, and they are spectacularly unconcerned with version sperg. (Well, there was this one kid named kal-el who would pipe up a lot with 'daddy says' when the other kids would start talking star wars, his dad wouldn't let him watch clone wars :( ).

And I would be very much surprised if they ever start caring.

So because Danny age 8 have this opinion, that somehow justifies never releasing a HD remaster of the theatrical cut?

They're just little kids, who cares what they think?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krowley posted:

Star Wars is for kids.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Krowley posted:

So because Danny age 8 have this opinion, that somehow justifies never releasing a HD remaster of the theatrical cut?

I imagine Disney's run the numbers on it and it may just not be profitable. Or it may be something they could do for only ROTJ but all the angst people have seems to be concentrated in ANH, which has damaged masters already.

Maybe they could do a Kickstarter.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I do too and honestly it's kinda mixed. A lot of them love clone wars but are more mixed on the prequels themselves. My 11 year old sister was unsure about seeing TFA because she loves the originals but didn't like the prequels. Clone Wars seems to be largely the way to go for prequel stuff for kids I've noticed though. A lot of them like Clone Wars more than they like the OT.

I think Clone Wars probably is the definitive Star Wars for a lot of kids. I won't say it eclipses the films but I suspect that a lot of younger folk's idea of Anakin Skywalker is Skyguy and Ahsoka.

My son and his friends (14, 8th graders) grew up on clone wars, and can tell you all about all the episodes, but gently caress if he can't keep the OT and PT separated after I've explained it 20 times.

And they love the PT. Sadly, they are the future.

Honestly I hope, more than anything, that this sequal helps put the poo poo in perspective for them.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Sure it'd be nice to have access to the original theatrical cuts—they have archival value if nothing else. And the frustration of trying to crystallize, preserve and subsequently reencounter works that are important to us in the exact form we first found them is pretty universally understandable. I'm just suggesting that said impulse is at the root of original-cut demands rather than anything intrinsic to the quality of the SEs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first part of your post is why I want them to exist.

They are important movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kaiba posted:

In the previous star wars thread, Cnut explained how it's based on the Frog Prince fairy tale:

The twist is that - and I believe I wrote something about this in the previous thread - the natural love interest for Padme (in a conventional romance, with a love triangle) should be none other than the bumbling but kind-hearted Jar Jar Binks. We've all seen romantic comedies, so we know how this goes.

But after the 'harmonious' ending of Phantom Menace, with the two cultures united through the expulsion of the foreign invader, everything is thrown out of balance by Padme's rejection of this 'natural' outcome. Instead of remaining partners with her fellow senator Jar Jar, she is seduced by Anakin.

Now, at the end of Attack Of The Clones, she and Anakin are united through the elimination of the foreigners. They get off on being the invaders now - and the Geonosians receive graphic, bloody onscreen deaths.

This is why it's the saddened, defeated Jar Jar who votes Palpatine into power. He's trying to bring back that harmony that was lost - but that harmony had always been an illusion.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

So is Clone Wars 3D any good? I really enjoyed the older animated show that got some run time on Toonami, I dunno if that's a reasonable comparison point.

Sure it'd be nice to have access to the original theatrical cuts—they have archival value if nothing else. And the frustration of trying to crystallize, preserve and subsequently reencounter works that are important to us in the exact form we first found them is pretty universally understandable. I'm just suggesting that said impulse is at the root of original-cut demands rather than anything intrinsic to the quality of the SEs.

Its mostly the lack of a choice that has me salty. That and I just plain don't agree with a lot of the changes I've seen.

Filthy Casual fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I want a hybrid of the original cuts and the special editions. The cleaned up mattes and stuff are good. The more jarring, obvious additions, like CG Jabba, dinosaurs romping around Mos Eisley, or Jedi Rocks, I would prefer to have the option of not seeing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I watched the SEs over the week before TFA came out and the cgi additions aged really badly, and that's why the originals should be available as blu-rays. Also Darth Vader shouts "noooo" when he tosses the Emp in ROTJ.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I still don't get why people don't just watch the laserdiscs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Filthy Casual posted:

So is Clone Wars 3D any good? I really enjoyed the older animated show that got some run time on Toonami, I dunno if that's a reasonable comparison point.

It's a hit or miss show especially in the earlier seasons, but in the later seasons it's surprisingly great at times. It's also very approachable - most episodes are in 1 to 3 episode arcs that are loosely connected so you can pop in and out of ones that strike your fancy. Way more watchable as an adult than you'd think, and pretty grounded most of the time. The new Rebels cartoon is more consistent but way goofier.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

I watched the SEs over the week before TFA came out and the cgi additions aged really badly, and that's why the originals should be available as blu-rays. Also Darth Vader shouts "noooo" when he tosses the Emp in ROTJ.

You're joking about that last part, right? I could kinda understand the Emperor saying that while falling to his death, but sorta recall him being vocally silent during that last bit. Just his force lightning hitting stuff on the sides of the pit.

EDIT: feedmyleg: right on, I could get down with that. Also handy that its on Netflix.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Filthy Casual posted:

You're joking about that last part, right? I could kinda understand the Emperor saying that while falling to his death, but sorta recall him being vocally silent during that last bit. Just his force lightning hitting stuff on the sides of the pit.

EDIT: feedmyleg: right on, I could get down with that. Also handy that its on Netflix.

No, Palpatine screams on the way down. It's the same scream they used when Luke fell down the Cloud City shaft in the first Empire Strikes Back special edition.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just watched ROTJ.

Vader does yell nooooo.

The whole scene is amazing and awesome.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

euphronius posted:

I just watched ROTJ.

Vader does yell nooooo.

Edit: Nevermind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The best part of all seven movies is when Vader taunts Luke about Leia and Luke goes completely nuts and bashes Vader down eight his light saber with animalistic fury.

It's amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

I just watched ROTJ.

Vader does yell nooooo.

This has gone too far.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The "nooo" in Jedi is 100% Lucas trolling 'Han Shot First' types with an essentially neutral thematic change which nonetheless eternally taints the film with prequel stink.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

I don't like it much but i freely admit I'm not in its target demographic. The kids who like it REALLY like it though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

I just watched ROTJ.

Vader does yell nooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No I love Hayden ghost much more. So much more impactful.

And shut the gently caress up about you headcannon theories about how force spirits work.

Edit

Oh wait I got the joke later.

• Locked thread