Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

the vestal's rare heal trinket is absurdly OP

I've always gotten more mileage out of sticking a couple of offensive trinkets on her. Better to have a good healer who can smite fools than a great healer who can't do anything else (I know the rare trinket doesn't hurt her offense, but she really needs both trinket slots to be a competent attacker.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Give each class a unique locked positive quirk, and have "Life of the Party: Reduces stress on all party members upon critical hits." be the Jester's

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Toxxupation posted:

wasting both your trinket slots on stress resist alongside what...4 time for a stress-immune Crusader, who never really has stress problems anyways, doesn't seem worth it at all

assuming that even works, which i dunno

I agree that building towards 100% stress resistance is a waste, but why do you say the Crusader never has stress problems? Because he tends to spend most of his time attacking and so he gets more kill/crit stress heals than the support characters do? I guess it never occurred to me how that stuff adds up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Geokinesis posted:

Just had an email to personalise a hero.

You can pick name, starting skills, class, colour scheme, 2x positive quirks and 1x negative quirks to start.

Made a Leper with fated as one of the quirks.

is the negative one Rabies

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

is the negative one Rabies

Not a quirk, sadly.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AngryBooch posted:

Any word on what the last class, Merchant, is going to be like?

Improve Jesters by giving them a back rank attack. Make their attacks have an even higher critical chance. Give them some kind of unique ability where their critical hits automatically reduce stress on ALL characters, not on random ones, as they make some quip.

can't they dirk from last row?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Geokinesis posted:

Just had an email to personalise a hero.

You can pick name, starting skills, class, colour scheme, 2x positive quirks and 1x negative quirks to start.

Made a Leper with fated as one of the quirks.

More importantly, the email also says that you can recruit any backer character at any time by typing their name in at the stage coach. So much for upgrading your number of new recruits.

Kickstarter has ~450 people who can make a character. I wonder which classes are going to be the most popular.

e: Also I think I'll make a houndmaster for maximum Ivan Pavlov reference.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
probably goku, hitler, and weed, in that order.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

can't they dirk from last row?

Yeah but it moves them forward. I guess the other solution would be to open up the positioning on their stress heal and music buff to the third rank.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

give Jester a new skill, Stand-Up. takes 1 turn to go from joke setup to punchline, upon which it's a coin flip if your party laughs and gets big stress reduction or get mad at his poo poo joke and stresses him instead.

or have him mock an enemy, marking him and enraging the enemy with like +5 damage but debuffing his friends out of laughter, idk give him some stupid jokeman skillset since houndmaster and man-at-arms are so much better at every utility.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Pavlov posted:

I wonder which classes are going to be the most popular.

I think I'll make a houndmaster

Think you asked the question and came up with the answer.

Will be shocked if Houndmaster isn't the most popular.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Trip report: Encountered the cannon boss for the first time. Don't leave the guy with the igniter stick alive.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Funso Banjo posted:

Think you asked the question and came up with the answer.

Will be shocked if Houndmaster isn't the most popular.

Dammit, but my naming scheme! :arghfist:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

the vestal's rare heal trinket is absurdly OP

That was one of the first I got :getin:

I played a tiny teensy bit when this first came on early access but decided to hold off playing it much. Picked it up again for the weekend in anticipation of the full release (does it have anything other than the Merchant and the Darkest Dungeon itself by the way?). I'm getting to the point where most of my adventurers are level 3 - 4. I was kinda struggling to kill my last low-level boss because all my guys bar one had hit level 3 by the time I remembered oh, hey, there's still a boss to do. So I had to expand my party so I could recruit four more and get them up to speed. I've had two party-wipes so far, one was only partial when I ran into the Collector with a fairly worse-for-wear party. The one full wipe was when I foolishly decided after completing a level 3 quest no problemo to light a Shambler's Altar to see how it was - yeah, that didn't go so great. Killed the Shambler but its minions finished me off.

Haven't had the guts to do any low-light runs yet, that's for sure!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pavlov posted:

More importantly, the email also says that you can recruit any backer character at any time by typing their name in at the stage coach. So much for upgrading your number of new recruits.

Kickstarter has ~450 people who can make a character. I wonder which classes are going to be the most popular.
Well that sounds absolutely ridiculous

Can someone paste the whole mail?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Demiurge4 posted:

Trip report: Encountered the cannon boss for the first time. Don't leave the guy with the igniter stick alive.

stick ur finger in the barrel. makes the shot fail

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Well that sounds absolutely ridiculous

Can someone paste the whole mail?

Darkest Dungeon posted:

ACTION REQUIRED - PERSONALIZE YOUR HERO BY January 12th!
Hello backers!

You backed Darkest Dungeon via Kickstarter or our own website, at the Digital Patron/Digital Ultimate or higher tier!

One of your rewards is to Personalize a Recruitable Hero! Follow the link below to complete the survey:

PERSONALIZE A HERO NOW:
[Survey Link]

In order to have your hero included on January 19th, you must fill out this survey by January 12th. If you fill out your survey after the 12th, your hero will still be included, but in a later update/patch.

For any questions, please email backersupport@redhookgames.com

--The Darkest Dungeon Team

backersupport@redhookgames.com

Q) How will I recruit my hero in the game?

A) After, January 19th, you can enter the Stage Coach at any time while you are in the Hamlet and do the following:
1) Press ENTER
2) Type your hero's name
3) Press ENTER again
4) Your hero will appear, ready to be recruited!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Thanks friend

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Maybe it only works once.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kly posted:

Maybe it only works once.
That would make sense.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That would make more sense, but you'd think they would have specified.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The question is asking about how you recruit your hero, aka the one you made. It seems pretty obviously implied that it's only talking about that one hero and isn't just the pawn system from dragon's dogma.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah but it moves them forward. I guess the other solution would be to open up the positioning on their stress heal and music buff to the third rank.

Turn 1: dirk stab
Turn 2: Heroic end
turn 3: thats why it's called heroic end

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gabriel Pope posted:

I've always gotten more mileage out of sticking a couple of offensive trinkets on her. Better to have a good healer who can smite fools than a great healer who can't do anything else (I know the rare trinket doesn't hurt her offense, but she really needs both trinket slots to be a competent attacker.)

I roll with both +33% heal trinkets for my vestals, only rarely have them attack, and their parties are pretty much always on full HP. I love how many viable strategies this game has.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite party is still 3 plague doctors and a super drugged up leper king

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

:2bong: "Man, I'm so fukken high, I can't feel my fingertips anymore. Oh wait *giggles and plays in the monster's blood*
:science: You think this is ethical?
:science: You wanna go back to listening to his poetry?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shogeton posted:

:2bong: "Man, I'm so fukken high, I can't feel my fingertips anymore. Oh wait *giggles and plays in the monster's blood*

"...the gently caress is ethics?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shogeton posted:

Dankest Dungeon

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

well now i have to do this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I think I've got two PDs sitting in the stagecoach on my current save, gonna try that combo tonight I reckon

Sounds like a hoot and a fuckin' half if they don't all die of lack of healing first :v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The two abom + jester setup is the new meta

esp if you have the rare trinkets for abom that reduce the stress damage they take/give for transforming

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

esp if you have the rare trinkets for abom that reduce the stress damage they take/give for transforming
I had a chance to pick that up but I woulda had to beat a boss for it and I didn't think my party was ready :(

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Toxxupation posted:

I prefer abom+maa, the maa camp buff is really nice and with only 1 abom you don't need to worry about taking the reduce stress trinket, just take another big damage one. MaA's in combat kit is really nice especially if you had been using one of those aboms for stuns and poo poo instead of hulking out.

That plague doc stack could get really interesting, with stun trinkets on one (+70% chance), one with blight trinkets (+70%), and a trip to the warrens where the leper crushing the front ranks is actually good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

I prefer abom+maa, the maa camp buff is really nice and with only 1 abom you don't need to worry about taking the reduce stress trinket, just take another big damage one. MaA's in combat kit is really nice especially if you had been using one of those aboms for stuns and poo poo instead of hulking out.
Also Riposte is fantastic and often wipes out back-row characters before the Abomination can get to them

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

JT Jag posted:

Also Riposte is fantastic and often wipes out back-row characters before the Abomination can get to them

I honestly tend to not riposte that often. Chances are you've got something in slot 2 or 3 that is a prime stun target, and with occultist you have a pull 2 that you can use to yank a dangerous 4-slot into the abomination's range.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Played for the first time in months. This newfangled bodies thing has obliterated my l33t dual-highwayman strat :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree the Jester needs a lot of work. The problem with him is that anything he can do, other heroes can do better.

Group buffs? The MaA has two and he's resilient enough to justify wasting a turn to cast them.

Bleed skills? Hellion and Houndmaster have better versions.

Crit and move skills? Grave Robber has that covered.

I mean I like the idea of using him as a 'Bard', just putting him in the back and plinking on tunes. But I wish you could really dedicate him to that task. Take the Vestal, for example, she's a Dedicated Healer. You can put her in the fourth row and you have 2 skills that heal other party members and a third that does a lifesteal. It seemed like they were going to make the Jester similarly dedicated as a buffer/debuffer but he's not nearly effective at it. His trinkets aren't bad, but they don't really boost his skills.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah the Jester's just kind of bizarre. I always thought the intention was for him to provide party buffs and hand out some decent bleeds, but the positioning is so idiosyncratic that it's really hard to make him work well. It can be fun to put him in a high-mobility group, but tough to make him really shine even there.

Thematically he's pretty great though, even if he looks like a bit like an ICP reject.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Do you keep loot acquired during a dungeon run if your party wipes? I didn't know if it was better to escape the dungeon with a bunch of disposable dudes or just let them die and keep the loot gains, also freeing up slots for the next round of chumps without having to fire my old guys first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

at least one person has to survive to keep loot iirc

you can only keep trinkets from dead party members if one character survives (and wins, obvi) the fight to loot the corpses