Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

asur posted:

It sounds like you're an authorized user on your mother's account. If the card is from Citi, then you almost certainly are as Citi doesn't offer the ability to co-sign an account. There isn't anything wrong with that, as you've found out the card still shows up on your credit report and will help you build credit if you're unable to qualify on your own. The major difference between co-signing and an authorized user is that in the former both parties share responsibility for the debt and in the later the authorized user is not responsible. The co-signer may also not receive a card, though I'm not certain on that point. In this case, the differences don't seem like they matter and the major issuers, Amex, Chase, and Citi, all don't offer co-signing.

Oh ok. My card is from a local bank. Just a Visa platinum with no fees or rewards. So I'm pretty sure it was a cosigning, we both put our own personal information and signatures in the form.

If it still counts toward my credit I'll look into it but I don't know if I like the idea of putting in my parents name and address as a billing address instead of my own. Otherwise I can just go back to the same bank and get their 1% rewards card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Oh ok. My card is from a local bank. Just a Visa platinum with no fees or rewards. So I'm pretty sure it was a cosigning, we both put our own personal information and signatures in the form.

If it still counts toward my credit I'll look into it but I don't know if I like the idea of putting in my parents name and address as a billing address instead of my own. Otherwise I can just go back to the same bank and get their 1% rewards card.

Credit Karma can probably tell you whether or not you're an authorized user. Click on the account in your credit report and look for a line item titled "Responsibility". For accounts you own, it will read "Individual" and for authorized user accounts, it will read "Authorized User".

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

becoming posted:

Credit Karma can probably tell you whether or not you're an authorized user. Click on the account in your credit report and look for a line item titled "Responsibility". For accounts you own, it will read "Individual" and for authorized user accounts, it will read "Authorized User".

My credit report actually says Joint Account. That's probably the term I should have been using.

e: So I'm guessing Citi won't offer me a joint account if there is no option for it in the form?

Baxate fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 5, 2016

Transflowtron
Nov 1, 2005
I'm coming up on my first annual fee with my Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MC which I would like to avoid paying. Has anyone had any luck with getting them to downgrade it to the Arrival World MC with no annual fee? If I'm unable to, I'll just cancel the card, but I would rather not do that if I can simply downgrade. Which brings me to my next question...

I would like to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card just before downgrading my Barclaycard (if I'm able to) but have recently read online that having more than 5 credit card applications in the past 24 months is grounds for having your application for the Sapphire Preferred denied. I spoke to several people from Chase on the phone about this and wasn't given a definitive answer, mostly just the same vague "applications are based on several factors" crap. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I do have more than 5 applications in the past 24 months, but my credit score is excellent, I pay all of my cards off weekly, and I have no outstanding debt other than my mortgage.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It's pretty well documented that CSP is an instant no if you have >5 in 24mo.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, the CSP rule is pretty set in stone. You could check flyertalk or Reddit for more info but there it is exceedingly unlikely you'll get it if you broke the 5/24. Keep in mind you can still get any of Chase's other hotel and airline cards; only the csp, freedom, and I think slate are off limits under this rule. If you are looking for a premium point-based card, citi's and Amex's are competitive.

I haven't of anyone having issues downgrading their arrival+, and retention bonuses seem rare/nonexistent, even though 2% cash back cards with no annual fee are now readily available.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Chase also doesn't have any flex in the fee itself, which sucks. It's the first card I'll be paying the annual fee to keep. I'm insuring a trip with trip cancellation/interruption insurance via the card. It's covered for the full amount so long as I pay it all on the card OR on between the card and my Chase checking.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Transflowtron posted:

I'm coming up on my first annual fee with my Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MC which I would like to avoid paying. Has anyone had any luck with getting them to downgrade it to the Arrival World MC with no annual fee? If I'm unable to, I'll just cancel the card, but I would rather not do that if I can simply downgrade. Which brings me to my next question...
I recently did this, and it was very simple. I just called them, told them my fee was coming up and I wanted to know if there was any way to avoid it. They said that any points I earned during the last month were forfeit, but other than that, no problems at all.

Transflowtron
Nov 1, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

It's pretty well documented that CSP is an instant no if you have >5 in 24mo.

Bummer. I figured so. Looks like my credit card whoring finally caught up to me. Citi ThankYou Premiere was next up on my list.. how exactly will the devaluation of the AA miles effect the sign-up bonus? If this devaluation occurs in March, I wouldn't be able to use it until after. I've got a bit of an aversion towards AMEX (I have the Blue Cash Preferred and Delta Gold) as it seems like every small business owner looks at you like you're a complete and utter rear end in a top hat when you use their cards. Also, the Delta Gold is the only card I've been burned for the annual fee on: wasn't able to cancel it in May as this was right when my credit history was being pulled for my mortgage. Not only does flying on Delta suck rear end, so do the perks of the card.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I tried to get into churning a while back but the manufactured spending techniques felt like too much of a headache. This year I'm planning on doing rewards credit cards with sign-up bonuses and just putting regular spending on them. I'm thinking about picking a couple credit cards (that don't have a first year annual fee) each quarter from the points guy's airline card page, does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dexter6 posted:

I have the Starwood AmEx card, so I like getting the 2 stay / 5 night credit every year. But I'm thinking about canceling or downgrading it (not sure the $95 fee is worth it).

What happens to that credit that is already showing up in my account - does it go away, or have I already gotten it for 2016 now?
They stayed for me when I canceled mine.

Transflowtron posted:

Bummer. I figured so. Looks like my credit card whoring finally caught up to me. Citi ThankYou Premiere was next up on my list.. how exactly will the devaluation of the AA miles effect the sign-up bonus? If this devaluation occurs in March, I wouldn't be able to use it until after.
ThankYou Points don't actually transfer to AA, they can simply be redeemed for AA flights at a high value if you hold a Prestige card. So not at all, basically.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cicero posted:

I tried to get into churning a while back but the manufactured spending techniques felt like too much of a headache. This year I'm planning on doing rewards credit cards with sign-up bonuses and just putting regular spending on them. I'm thinking about picking a couple credit cards (that don't have a first year annual fee) each quarter from the points guy's airline card page, does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Yes. If you'd like a little more guidance, post your typical monthly CC spend amount, your home airport(s), and your travel goals and I (and others, I'm sure) would be happy to offer some thoughts.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Cicero posted:

Just glancing through, do your research. I noticed a couple of those are less than what you can usually get. Such as the American Express Gold and Southwest Airlines, those routinely have 50,000 point bonuses. I'd recommend the Chase Sapphire card for now.

Harry fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Cicero posted:

Besides the fact that I'm still trying to resolve a $500 compromised visa gift card from November, M$ is a pain in the rear end. Some people just don't mind that it's a pain in the rear end. I used to do it more, but now I just do it when I need to top off min spends on cards.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cicero posted:

TPG is a complete shill and you shouldn't necessarily go 100% off of everything he says. He almost always pushes the CSP as the best card unless there is just some blow-you-away offer going on, and unless you have have easy access to United (or are willing to deal with partner redemptions), love Southwest, or want to go to Asia (or, again, are willing to gently caress around with partner redemptions), it's only particularly useful for the primary car rental insurance. I don't see the point in most hotel awards because they end up being absurdly expensive half the time, but that's just me. I think that for most peoples' travel purposes the UR points are not as useful as Amex's, and situationally better or worse than Citi's depending on where you live.

I'll openly admit though that I'm mostly between Amex or Citi for the long term as I normally fly AA and can potentially get good value out of the Prestige, but Citi's services still range from just okay to pretty lovely, even after some revamps (I'm a little superficial in that regard). Or I can just say gently caress it and use my Double Cash/Discover because I never end up flying as much as I'd like to. I have at least 5-6 cards I need to cancel in the next few months.

IMO, MS is stupid and I can't wait until it dies for good because it probably is the cause for most of the problems people are seeing with poo poo like Chase's 5/24.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Yes. If you'd like a little more guidance, post your typical monthly CC spend amount, your home airport(s), and your travel goals and I (and others, I'm sure) would be happy to offer some thoughts.
Sure. I'd probably ballpark average monthly CC spend at 3-4k. Travel causes a fair bit of variability. I'm in the south SF bay area, SJC is the closest airport, SFO and OAK are still within a reasonable distance though, I search using all three when I check google flights.

Travel goals: visiting family, traveling overseas. Family that we'd visit by air are around SLC, Denver, and Fairbanks. Traveling overseas would be Western Europe (right now I'm thinking the Netherlands next) and maybe Japan.

Harry posted:

Just glancing through, do your research. I noticed a couple of those are less than what you can usually get. Such as the American Express Gold and Southwest Airlines, those routinely have 50,000 point bonuses. I'd recommend the Chase Sapphire card for now.
I had the Chase Sapphire and the Capital One Venture Miles back when I was planning on trying manufactured spending, only canceled them a few months ago so I'll have to wait a while before signing up for them, right?

triple sulk posted:

TPG is a complete shill and you shouldn't necessarily go 100% off of everything he says. He almost always pushes the CSP as the best card unless there is just some blow-you-away offer going on, and unless you have have easy access to United (or are willing to deal with partner redemptions), love Southwest, or want to go to Asia (or, again, are willing to gently caress around with partner redemptions), it's only particularly useful for the primary car rental insurance. I don't see the point in most hotel awards because they end up being absurdly expensive half the time, but that's just me. I think that for most peoples' travel purposes the UR points are not as useful as Amex's, and situationally better or worse than Citi's depending on where you live.

I'll openly admit though that I'm mostly between Amex or Citi for the long term as I normally fly AA and can potentially get good value out of the Prestige, but Citi's services still range from just okay to pretty lovely, even after some revamps (I'm a little superficial in that regard). Or I can just say gently caress it and use my Double Cash/Discover because I never end up flying as much as I'd like to. I have at least 5-6 cards I need to cancel in the next few months.

IMO, MS is stupid and I can't wait until it dies for good because it probably is the cause for most of the problems people are seeing with poo poo like Chase's 5/24.
Yeah I'm no longer planning to do MS unless I have some epiphany or strike a vein of abundant free time, but I figure I can still get a couple new cards each quarter for the sign-up bonuses.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 6, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sounds like you'll definitely want to pick up an Alaska Airlines card. Alaska runs all sorts of flights out of SJC, plus you can use their miles to book on Delta and AA. Great international redemption rates too.

The $75 annual fee is not waived, but you can offset it by applying for the version that offers a $100 statement credit after $1,000 spend in 90 days. Here's how to get that: http://pointscentric.com/2015/06/26/psa-the-alaska-airlines-25000-miles-100-statement-credit-offer-never-actually-disappered/

This is also a bonus you can pick up every few months. I was approved for this card in April, July, and October of last year.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Sounds like you'll definitely want to pick up an Alaska Airlines card. Alaska runs all sorts of flights out of SJC, plus you can use their miles to book on Delta and AA. Great international redemption rates too.

The $75 annual fee is not waived, but you can offset it by applying for the version that offers a $100 statement credit after $1,000 spend in 90 days. Here's how to get that: http://pointscentric.com/2015/06/26/psa-the-alaska-airlines-25000-miles-100-statement-credit-offer-never-actually-disappered/
Thanks! This sounds good.

quote:

This is also a bonus you can pick up every few months. I was approved for this card in April, July, and October of last year.
How does that work? So you apply for the card, get the bonus, cancel the card, then immediately re-apply? How do you know how frequently you can re-apply for a card?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cicero posted:

How does that work? So you apply for the card, get the bonus, cancel the card, then immediately re-apply? How do you know how frequently you can re-apply for a card?

Each credit card issuer has its own rules about how frequently you can get a bonus on the same credit card. Chase generally won't give a bonus on the same product for 2 years since you last received a bonus. Citi generally won't give a bonus within 18 months of opening or closing that same card. Amex limits their bonuses to once in a lifetime.

Bank of America, which issues the Alaska card, is less strict. The CC community has generally figured out that if you apply every 3-6 months, you'll generally be able to get the bonus again (assuming you aren't denied for other reasons). It used to be the case that you could apply for multiples in one day, but then one of the bigger bloggers bragged about getting 5 (!!!) in one day and BofA shut down the multiple apps pretty shortly thereafter. But you can still do one every several months and be reasonably confident in getting the bonus again.

There's no need to close before reapplying; in fact, I suspect that might hurt your chances. Here was my approach to my three cards:
-April: Approved for 1st card with limit of $1X,000
-May: Ask for credit limit to be lowered to $5,000
-June: Nothing
-July: Approved for 2nd card with limit of $1X,000
-August: Ask for credit limit to be lowered to $5,000
-September: Nothing
-October: Approved for 3rd card with limit of $1X,000

So as you can see, I currently have three cards open. Nobody at BofA has ever hassled me about it. I'll likely close that first card in a couple weeks, then apply for card #4 in March or April.

The reason I lower the limits after receiving the cards is that BofA has an overall amount of credit they'll extend to me across all cards. If you want the full bonus on the cards, they need to be approved with a credit limit of at least $5,000, so I make sure I have plenty of headroom on my overall BofA credit before I apply for a new card.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's awesome information, thanks. It sounds like I should still cancel for the Alaska Airlines card before a year is up though, due to the annual fee, right?

Also, does my getting a particular card affect whether my wife can get the same card + bonus?

edit: for people saying the points guy sucks/those cards aren't ideal, is there a better site that has a consistently up-to-date list of rewards cards with good sign-up bonuses?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 6, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The site is always up to date; it's just that it's owned by Bankrate and as a result certain cards get pushed the most. Flyertalk usually lists good deals, and although they're a little insane/pathetic with the MS, /r/churning is decent for up to date offers on cards.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cicero posted:

That's awesome information, thanks. It sounds like I should still cancel for the Alaska Airlines card before a year is up though, due to the annual fee, right?

Also, does my getting a particular card affect whether my wife can get the same card + bonus?

edit: for people saying the points guy sucks/those cards aren't ideal, is there a better site that has a consistently up-to-date list of rewards cards with good sign-up bonuses?

Yeah, cancel before the second annual fee hits in 12 months. Or try to downgrade to a no-fee BofA card (people have mixed success getting downgraded).

Your applications will be considered separately from your wife's, so you should definitely both go for it.

BTW, another benefit I forgot is that each card gives you a one-time-use companion pass good for a $121 ticket with any paid fare on Alaska Airlines. You mentioned flights to Fairbanks. Those look fairly expensive as cash fares, but if you and your wife (or whoever) fly together you'll pay one cash fare plus $121 for two roundtrip economy tickets.

e: Doctor of Credit and MileNerd are really good about posting the best CC offers in a timely fashion, and they aren't shills for particular banks.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 6, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ok, I ordered the Alaska card, I'll also get my wife to grab one, and then I guess the CSP since I never actually got the bonus before. Thanks everyone!

edit: ok, I think for right now I'll only do the Alaska for me and the CSP since the CSP has a $4,000 minimum spend within 3 months.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 6, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

It's the start of a new year and therefore a good time to try and get the Southwest Companion Pass (which is good until December 31, 2017). Just had my wife apply and get approved for the Chase Southwest Premiere (50k bonus with $2,000 spend in 3 months). Next month we'll probably have her get the Chase Southwest Plus (40k bonus with $1,000 spend in 3 months). Hoping to hit 110k points in March to enjoy those sweet sweet 20 months of companion passes.

$99 annual fee for the Premiere and $69 annual fee for the Plus.

AFAIK there is no way to downgrade these Chase partnership-branded cards to avoid subsequent annual fees, so I guess next year I'll cancel the Premiere and just keep the Plus open if we intend on flying more and more Southwest (already have the CSP so we don't need the Premiere's zero foreign transaction fees).

Thoughts?

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 6, 2016

Baddog
May 12, 2001

khysanth posted:

It's the start of a new year and therefore a good time to try and get the Southwest Companion Pass (which is good until December 31, 2017). Just had my wife apply and get approved for the Chase Southwest Premiere (50k bonus with $2,000 spend in 3 months). Next month we'll probably have her get the Chase Southwest Plus (40k bonus with $1,000 spend in 3 months). Hoping to hit 110k points in March to enjoy those sweet sweet 20 months of companion passes.

$99 annual fee for the Premiere and $69 annual fee for the Plus.

AFAIK there is no way to downgrade these Chase partnership-branded cards to avoid subsequent annual fees, so I guess next year I'll cancel the Premiere and just keep the Plus open if we intend on flying more and more Southwest (already have the CSP so we don't need the Premiere's zero foreign transaction fees).

Thoughts?

The SW cards don't give any real benefits besides 2x points on SW purchases right? And 3k points on anniversary. I guess thats worth $39, so the plus will just cost $30. I think I did the math right though, and you have to buy $5000 in SW airfare a year to break even over using a 2% cash back card. (.013*2-.02)*5000=30. So I think I'm cancelling them both when fee is due.

For next time, you can get the cards in the prior year and just fulfill the minimum spend in January. I cut it a bit close this year (was at the mall buying GC on the 1st), but hopefully it will all work out.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Baddog posted:

The SW cards don't give any real benefits besides 2x points on SW purchases right?

I received two drink tickets last January for being a Plus cardholder :colbert:

The Premier annual bonus of 6,000 is roughly equivalent to the $99 annual fee, so it's a tossup in my mind. If your Rapid Rewards bank is very empty or very full as your approaching the annual fee, it's probably worth ditching the card. But if I had 3,000-5,000 points left in my account, I'd likely pay the fee to get an RR balance I could actually use.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Does anyone know about the card chips? Specifically, I'm considering what happens when the chip is used occasionally but the strip is used most often? Does the magnetic strip care about the incremental code that's generated? I.e., if I use the chip for 10% of transactions, are the 90% strip transactions also more secure now?

Anyone have a good writeup on this?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The only difference with the stripe on a chipped card is the strips tells the credit card reader it has a chip. If the credit card reader can accept chipped cards it won't process the magnetic stripe and will tell you to use the chip instead. This prevents someone who has cloned your card from using it anywhere that accepts chipped cards. As more and more places accept chipped cards it will be harder to use cloned cards and credit card companies will start looking at transactions that used the magnetic stripe more closely.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The strip on cards with chip+strip are the same strip on cards without a chip.

Your swipe transactions will be the same as if the card didn't have a chip.

Chip and sig is still even not so secure. Chip and pin is more ideal.

e: guess not!

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
So that magnetic strip doesn't know or care what the latest code generated was?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I've yet to *have* to use the chip in any of my cards, and most all vendors have dual type card readers now. Kinda interesting. I figured it would require the chip to be used like THF13 suggests.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

I've yet to *have* to use the chip in any of my cards, and most all vendors have dual type card readers now. Kinda interesting. I figured it would require the chip to be used like THF13 suggests.

Do they have the chip reader turned on? I've definitely seen the message come up where if you attempt to slide it will tell you to use the chip instead. I'm not certain why, but a lot of retailers seem to have the chip portion turned off as I've attempted to use it and been told that it isn't working yet.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Only one major merchant I know is using the chip reader, everywhere else says it's down or doesn't work so just swipe. Was the requirement that merchants had to HAVE them and not necessarily USE them by a certain point? Would be a good way of getting out of some of the back end work.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Untagged posted:

Only one major merchant I know is using the chip reader, everywhere else says it's down or doesn't work so just swipe. Was the requirement that merchants had to HAVE them and not necessarily USE them by a certain point? Would be a good way of getting out of some of the back end work.

In September the liability shifted for fraudulent purchases from the card company to merchants, but only if the merchants didn't have an active chip reader.

Places I shop at like Dollar Tree have had the chip-card readers for a couple years, but they're still not active for whatever reason.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

asur posted:

Do they have the chip reader turned on? I've definitely seen the message come up where if you attempt to slide it will tell you to use the chip instead. I'm not certain why, but a lot of retailers seem to have the chip portion turned off as I've attempted to use it and been told that it isn't working yet.
Maybe they're not turned on. I'll try shoving it in and see what happens next time I see one.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

In September the liability shifted for fraudulent purchases from the card company to merchants, but only if the merchants didn't have an active chip reader.

Ostensibly if they have the equipment they have the liability on chip enabled card transactions. That being said, many places haven't been willing to eat the transaction time differences to save the liability.

Think of a gas station, the average transaction is small and quick. Adding a few seconds to each one to avoid a fraudulent transaction assignment might not be with it.

That being said, I am seeing more and more merchants make the switch. Once the processors raise cost per swipe on chip enabled cards not run via the chip then many more will take the plunge.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Never really thought about that transaction time angle. The chip reader really does seem like it takes a lot longer to go through.

I'd say about 20% of the time or so I've been asked to use chip instead of swipe. Seems like it's slowly growing.

Anyone have experience with Citi recon? Got a pending for my third AA card with them and I think I lean towards not calling in, especially when there's really no way I can give any sort of a reasonable answer to the question "why would you like this card" that doesn't begin and end with "50k AA miles".

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Fidelity announced their replacement to the 2% Amex and it looks like everything is the same except it is a Visa, so I've added it back to the OP.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Barry posted:

Never really thought about that transaction time angle. The chip reader really does seem like it takes a lot longer to go through.

I'd say about 20% of the time or so I've been asked to use chip instead of swipe. Seems like it's slowly growing.

Anyone have experience with Citi recon? Got a pending for my third AA card with them and I think I lean towards not calling in, especially when there's really no way I can give any sort of a reasonable answer to the question "why would you like this card" that doesn't begin and end with "50k AA miles".

There's pretty much no downside to calling and at the very least it would give you the reason they denied you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I wouldn't say there's no downside but I haven't actually been denied yet, just pending.