Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Up Circle posted:

By taking advantage of the natural human desire to help out idiots who deserve what they get?

yes that's clearly the only reason anyone would ever get ruined by a packmaster :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I can't imagine the fates gathering four people stupid enough to wipe to a gas rat cloud, honestly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Geight posted:

I can't imagine the fates gathering four people stupid enough to wipe to a gas rat cloud, honestly.

They do enough damage on nightmare and cataclysm that having to break formation to run into a horde when you were holding out will absolutely kill you.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

They do enough damage on nightmare and cataclysm that having to break formation to run into a horde when you were holding out will absolutely kill you.

Perhaps you should master the tactics of "move and attack" before playing on those difficulties.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Psion posted:

yes that's clearly the only reason anyone would ever get ruined by a packmaster :rolleyes:

Can you list others pleease? It's for a project I'm doing on computers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

When a hook rat ends your run because it unavoidably pulled the shield guy through a massive horde for a chain reaction of losses, it just feels like bullshit, unlike when a lone gas rat becomes a hero and lands a bomb right in the middle of your whole crew. This is because gas rats are honorable and noble.

please don't denigrate the honor of a skaven by implying he has any

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Geight posted:

Having one land in a running elevator is one of the finest things that can happen in this game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Having one land in a running elevator is one of the finest things that can happen in this game.

Okay yeah that would be pretty funny and also kill everyone

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skandranon posted:

Little guy earned his victory dance when he did that.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
2 loving months and they haven't fixed the audio for firearms?

Jesus Christ.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Geight posted:

Perhaps you should master the tactics of "move and attack" before playing on those difficulties.

Move and attack quickly while maintaining a formation good enough to not get murdered by cataclism spawns with blurred vision is non-trivial. All of those things are very doable, it's doing all of them at once reliably that can cause wipes.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm really not getting the gun audio thing, everything sounds exactly the same to me and my friends as it always has.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Was on the last two sacks of wheat & chaff on nightmare, and the dwarf gets killed like 10 feet away from us. I run over to help him and get huntered. Elf and solder take one look at me, decide it's not worth the zero effort to shoot the hunter, and grab both sacks and run to the coach. Die right outside it. To the same loving hunter. It's like poetry.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The most infuriating part of the packmasters is that when trying to mark them for your teammates to shoot, it allows you to mark the guy being dragged as well. Even though the person being dragged is already highlighted red, sometimes it will just switch it to blue if you mark them instead of the threat. It's a small issue, but it irritates the gently caress out of me.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Is there a thread for just warhammer lore? After getting this game I am now incredibly hooked on the lore (especially witch hunters)

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Umbreon posted:

Is there a thread for just warhammer lore? After getting this game I am now incredibly hooked on the lore (especially witch hunters)

Seconded, although I did play a little bit of Warhammer in my younger days (more accurately, painted them badly and never really played). The flavoring and atmosphere in this game is really good, and after 100 hours played I'm still hearing new incidental dialogue. Does it ever get revealed what Kerillian's secret mission is?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The impression I got was that she was exiled for some kind of fuckup/taboo she committed. Weren't her and Bardin just working as mercs for Saltzpyre when all the poo poo went down?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

The impression I got was that she was exiled for some kind of fuckup/taboo she committed. Weren't her and Bardin just working as mercs for Saltzpyre when all the poo poo went down?

I thought Kruber was the mercenary.

Gonna assume she was exiled for hitting fellow elves with the Hagbane bow.

edit:
I also like how I can be carrying a group of pubbies on nightmare, but on cataclysm I'm the weakest link and have to re-learn the game.
If any EU goons want to join up for some NM or Cata, or need help on other difficulties, feel free to add me on Steam. Account name "ravnblod".

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 5, 2016

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Kerillian was exiled, and woke up from a huge week-long bender with one helluva an elf-drug hangover to find that the ratpocalypse has happened. Kruber and Bardin have served together I believe though I'm not sure in what capacity. Kruber was returning from a tour of duty when Saltzpyre enlisted his aid as a bodyguard to help transport the ~*~dangerous criminal~*~ Fuegonasas to her trial, though he is one of the not completely fanatical Witch Hunters and has no problem working with non-humans/magic users to fight a common enemy.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
e: ^yeah that, took too long typing this on mobile I guess.

Kruber was a lone survivor of a squad from the Imperial army after some chaos motherfucker used some magic that killed everyone except him, he was going to get redeployed straight back into the fight but he ran into Saltzpyre who took pity on him since Kruber was worried about his family back on their farm and wanted to go see them, and so Saltzpyre commandeered him as the Witch Hunters can do to help transport the 'potentially dangerous' Sienna to Ubersriek.

You can find out what happens to his family and such in a couple conversations when he and Saltzpyre are in the party together. Possibly based on difficulty as I remember when the game just came out he was still talking about going to look for them when he has the time, but on Nightmare it's... different.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Umbreon posted:

Basically Games workshop poo poo all over Warhammer Fantasy war with the End Times stuff and now the game we are playing literally doesn't exist. None of the things that are in this game are in the current version of Warhammer fantasy.

Lore wise the Witch Hunters are actually fairly tame. They just go around hunting unauthorised Magic Users. That's about it. They are just total bad asses.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Kitchner posted:

Basically Games workshop poo poo all over Warhammer Fantasy war with the End Times stuff and now the game we are playing literally doesn't exist. None of the things that are in this game are in the current version of Warhammer fantasy.

Lore wise the Witch Hunters are actually fairly tame. They just go around hunting unauthorised Magic Users. That's about it. They are just total bad asses.

I thought Witch Hunters were the sort that would rather execute a small village to be sure than let a single heretic live?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Martout posted:

I thought Witch Hunters were the sort that would rather execute a small village to be sure than let a single heretic live?
That would be their 40k cousins, Inquisitors. They nuke planets if they see somebody having the sniffles because of Nurgle infestation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Martout posted:

Some are, some aren't. They are the experts in witchcraft so if they declare someone a witch who will argue? So some sort of just execute anyone who they can contrive as being a witch, but others actually hunt down real witches only.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Asehujiko posted:

That would be their 40k cousins, Inquisitors. They nuke planets if they see somebody having the sniffles because of Nurgle infestation.

Actually they don't really use exterminatus against daemons because it's ineffective (as they don't die) and it may give them ideas.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pretty much a lot of 40K is Fantasy stuff taken up a thousand notches. Fantasy you still get some people trying to be reasonable on at least some level often enough, which is what's always made the setting more interesting to me at least.

That and I dunno, Fantasy has always had some extra degree of charm to it, they've got my favorite depiction of orcs, the dwarves are cool, the Empire and the counties that make it up are neat, I can even get into some elf history in Warhams Fantasy.

And meh, even if GW decided to be giant jerks, there's still plenty to read and play with the setting if you're interested.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 5, 2016

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Kitchner posted:

So will Total War: Warhammer use the old Warhammer Fantasy, or have they removed all the cool stuff?

Just spent an hour trying to do White Rat on cataclysm. Very hard, but fun when you manage to complete parts of it. Still haven't gotten past the ogre though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ElectricWizard posted:

So will Total War: Warhammer use the old Warhammer Fantasy, or have they removed all the cool stuff?

It's set in the previous usual period of Warhammer Fantasy, before The End Times, so yeah it should be pretty neat I'd like to hope.

~New~ Fantasy is "Age of Sigmar" so unless a big expansion or sequel comes, all good there.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kitchner posted:

Actually they don't really use exterminatus against daemons because it's ineffective (as they don't die) and it may give them ideas.

Dawn of War involves a number of Exterminatus orders being executed against planets for Chaos corruption.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

ElectricWizard posted:

Does it ever get revealed what Kerillian's secret mission is?

It's implied that she has been subjected to A Terrible Curse of some kind, and can break it by killing a shitload of rat mans. Her eyes are solid black (this is unusual and implies bad magicks), the burn wizard mentions sensing some magic life energy dissipating every time the elf kills a rat, and many of the elf's comments are vociferously geared towards racking up a kill count, and getting unreasonably angry when someone takes or 'steals' all the rat-kills, e.g. 'leave some for me, assfoot.' Despite being the most concerned with counting kills of everyone else, she doesn't express any especial grudge towards rat-folks, or motivation for helping humanity, or motivation for even thwarting the rat war. As a cursed elf, she has probably had some dark prophetic foresight visions, and was probably in the area anticipating a shitload of rats to kill for curse reasons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Martout posted:

One of the really big differences between a Hunter and a 40k Inquisitor is that a Hunter doesn't actually have unlimited authority. Saltzpyre is a member of the Order of the Silver Hammer, a militant order of Sigmarites, and as such he's subject to the authority of the church and of his own superiors within the order. He also wouldn't normally have troops assigned to him unless he could convince a local lord or mayor with evidence that he needed some roadwardens or State Troops, or paid out of pocket or expense account for some mercs (like Kruber). If a Hunter thinks they need a village burned to the ground, they have to actually make a case for it, usually to the people who own the village. This means instead of having endless authority like Inquisitors and their own private armies, Hunters like Saltzpyre usually acquire small core groups of regular buddies to help them investigate and take care of smaller problems, then use the evidence they gather to convince others to commit more troops if there's a real emergency.

Some Hunters are even secular, not actually paid by or beholden to a specific church but rather entirely to the state. People are still scared shitless of Witch Hunters, but it's less because they worry the guy (or gal) will burn down their entire village on a whim and more that if one is poking around, it's a sign some bad poo poo is going down and you don't want to get in it.

Witch Hunters are awesome and Saltzpyre is a really good indicator of how they are.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I may be crazy but are Kruber's shields broken as hell? I miss 90% of all power attacks at any range, and it only hits once in a while.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

ElectricWizard posted:

Does it ever get revealed what Kerillian's secret mission is?

Things specified in dialogue or loading screen text:
She wandered into a spooky part of an already spooky forest where only wood eleven mages should go.

She has visions of the end times.

She keeps count of rats killed.

Some magic thing happens when she kills rats.

The rest is inferred from that:
It is very odd for a wood elf to be an in imperial city, suggesting the exile. The rat counting and magic suggests it's related to her condition. She may have come to the city because she anticipated the skaven attack from her visions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I may be crazy but are Kruber's shields broken as hell? I miss 90% of all power attacks at any range, and it only hits once in a while.

Shields have a bug where when you have a speed potion on, your charge attacks just sort of stop connecting (you won't get the hit X or do damage). I very rarely get this at other moments, but without a speed potion most of the time it's fine.

Shachar posted:

The rest is inferred from that:
It is very odd for a wood elf to be an in imperial city, suggesting the exile. The rat counting and magic suggests it's related to her condition. She may have come to the city because she anticipated the skaven attack from her visions.

She was exiled for her condition of being a turbo rear end in a top hat

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Shields have a bug where when you have a speed potion on, your charge attacks just sort of stop connecting (you won't get the hit X or do damage). I very rarely get this at other moments, but without a speed potion most of the time it's fine.

My particular shield & sword had Swift Slaying on it. Explains it, then.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

She was exiled for her condition of being a turbo rear end in a top hat

If you want some real assholes, we need a dark elf on-board.

Even though it's kind of ridiculous to hope for, I'd like to hope eventually we get another character or couple and we can get some weird ones goin.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Night10194 posted:

One of the really big differences between a Hunter and a 40k Inquisitor is that a Hunter doesn't actually have unlimited authority. Saltzpyre is a member of the Order of the Silver Hammer, a militant order of Sigmarites, and as such he's subject to the authority of the church and of his own superiors within the order. He also wouldn't normally have troops assigned to him unless he could convince a local lord or mayor with evidence that he needed some roadwardens or State Troops, or paid out of pocket or expense account for some mercs (like Kruber). If a Hunter thinks they need a village burned to the ground, they have to actually make a case for it, usually to the people who own the village. This means instead of having endless authority like Inquisitors and their own private armies, Hunters like Saltzpyre usually acquire small core groups of regular buddies to help them investigate and take care of smaller problems, then use the evidence they gather to convince others to commit more troops if there's a real emergency.

Some Hunters are even secular, not actually paid by or beholden to a specific church but rather entirely to the state. People are still scared shitless of Witch Hunters, but it's less because they worry the guy (or gal) will burn down their entire village on a whim and more that if one is poking around, it's a sign some bad poo poo is going down and you don't want to get in it.

Witch Hunters are awesome and Saltzpyre is a really good indicator of how they are.

Man, this is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I could read poo poo like this all day, is there like a wiki or an archive I can find to read more warhammer fantasy lore like this?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Umbreon posted:

Man, this is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I could read poo poo like this all day, is there like a wiki or an archive I can find to read more warhammer fantasy lore like this?

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
there's no good excuse as to why packmasters aren't shoveable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Umbreon posted:

There's the Warhammer Fantasy thread. I'm sure they/we would appreciate someone talking about when Warhammer wasn't (as) stupid. Or you can dehumanize yourself and face to the Bad Thread.

• Locked thread