Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Shadow225 posted:

Hello Magic thread. I have recently been given the Meren Commander deck as a gift. I began tinkering with it, and found I have some rules questions.

1. If I have Meren and 3 creatures out and the opponent wipes the board, do I get 0 or 3 experience counters?
2. I have Catacomb Sifter and Sakura-Tribe Elder on the battlefield. I sac the Elder to search for a land. Do I Scry 1 before or after the searching for a land?
3. I target the ETB effect of Duplicant at someone's Commander. He chooses to move it to the command zone instead. What is the P/T of Duplicant?
4. Also on Duplicant, is the card permanently exiled that it hits with the ETB effect when Duplicant dies?
5. My opponent controls Vigor and a 1/1. I swing with a 4/4 Trample and he blocks with the 1/1. Am I allowed to assign 1 combat damage to the 1/1 and the rest to the player, or do I have to assign all 4 to the creature?
6. My friend is playing Ezuri, Claw of Progress He plays a Bonehoard with 3 creatures in the graveyard. Does he get an experience counter?

I think that's everything

3, before, 2/4, yes, you can do 1 and 3, uhh. I'm not 100% sure but I think so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That seems really good. Hand disruption, good body, enables processors.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like another way for the Eldrazi deck to be less about processing and more about smashing you with giant dudes cast way too early.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elyv posted:

seems good in standard and good in modern eldrazi if that continues to be a real deck

e: fu zones

Side this card out if your opponent is on the Flicker-drazi

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012

WhalerWren posted:

Artbook spoiled how the 'plot' ends again.

Aaaand I missed one.

Quality story-telling.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shadow225 posted:

Hello Magic thread. I have recently been given the Meren Commander deck as a gift. I began tinkering with it, and found I have some rules questions.

1. If I have Meren and 3 creatures out and the opponent wipes the board, do I get 0 or 3 experience counters?
2. I have Catacomb Sifter and Sakura-Tribe Elder on the battlefield. I sac the Elder to search for a land. Do I Scry 1 before or after the searching for a land?
3. I target the ETB effect of Duplicant at someone's Commander. He chooses to move it to the command zone instead. What is the P/T of Duplicant?
4. Also on Duplicant, is the card permanently exiled that it hits with the ETB effect when Duplicant dies?
5. My opponent controls Vigor and a 1/1. I swing with a 4/4 Trample and he blocks with the 1/1. Am I allowed to assign 1 combat damage to the 1/1 and the rest to the player, or do I have to assign all 4 to the creature?
6. My friend is playing Ezuri, Claw of Progress He plays a Bonehoard with 3 creatures in the graveyard. Does he get an experience counter?

I think that's everything

1. 3. They all die at the same time, and Meren "sees" that three other creatures died.
2. Before. You sacrifice the Elder as a cost to use the ability, so when the ability goes on the stack, the Sifter sees that and triggers.
3. 2/4. The original Mirrodin wording makes it more clear, but if that card isn't specifically in the exile zone anymore, nothing is imprinted so Duplicant just reverts back to a 2/4.
4. Permanently exiled until some other card says otherwise.
5. Trample is a good ability, you deal 3 damage to them and the 1/1 becomes a 2/2.
6. Probably? The 0/0 comes in, triggering Ezuri, and then the equipment attaches to buff the 0/0.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WhalerWren posted:

Artbook spoiled how the 'plot' ends again.

so like

where are kiora and ugin

why aren't they doing anything after bfz

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

I'm 100% correct that McMagic is between 20% and 80% correct.

e: also wow that's really dumb. They won because they used fire. Jesus wept, Wizards, fire Creative.

oh wizards

If all four of them can just kill the Eldrazi titans super dead why does Jace need to go to Innistrad to look for Sorin

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

WhalerWren posted:

Aaaand I missed one.

Quality story-telling.

So emrakul's on Innistrad right

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

WhalerWren posted:

Aaaand I missed one.

Quality story-telling.

literally destroyed by fire what the gently caress is this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate the art on these new eldrazi.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
of course all of the other planeswalkers are trying super hard while Jace is doing the loving cool guy slow walking goddamnit WOTC

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

literally destroyed by fire what the gently caress is this

chandra being able to burn anything, no really, anything is the least objectionable part of that story imo

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zoness posted:

nah they'll find hints of his presence in Innistrad, then we'll go off somewhere else for a bit and make our way back to Dominaria where Eldrazi have mixed with Phyrexians for some crazy shenanigans.
thats what I'm hoping for anyways

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The whole thing sounds like a really bad tribute to Fate/stay night with Nissa lending Chandra her special power through Mana Transfer Elemental and Jace invoking Unlimited Sural Works or some poo poo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 6, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Wait, I thought the Titans we know are simply weakened projections of their true and impossibly powerful forms in the Blind Eternities? And doesn't killing them on Zendikar release them to the rest of the multiverse, with severe consequences?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

WhalerWren posted:

Aaaand I missed one.

Quality story-telling.

Eurgh

This is like, an eighth grader's creative writing assignment. That they forgot about and threw together the period before it was due.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

my favorite thing is, if we ignore the bad writing and the bad plotting and so forth, that kiora was like a pretty integral part of the plot in bfz and just totally vanishes in this set

she didn't agree to join the cool kid's club and therefore they didn't want her help against world-devouring abominations or something?

edit: also they're clearly trying to channel comic books in this and isn't one of the first rules of comic books "don't destroy your villains so you can fight them again later"?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

my favorite thing is, if we ignore the bad writing and the bad plotting and so forth, that kiora was like a pretty integral part of the plot in bfz and just totally vanishes in this set

she didn't agree to join the cool kid's club and therefore they didn't want her help against world-devouring abominations or something?

Based on what Maro said I'm going to assume that the POWER RANGERS will extend to stopping both Nicol Bolas and the Phyrexians whenever it is that they inevitably escape Mirrodin again.

Elyv posted:

edit: also they're clearly trying to channel comic books in this and isn't one of the first rules of comic books "don't destroy your villains so you can fight them again later"?

I'm sure they didn't - Ugin made it super clear that what Jace was planning was really fucken dumb and that he shouldn't do it and of course Jace didn't listen to the Millenia-old ancient Eldrazi Scholar we just spent an entire block resurrecting

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 6, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I mean Yawgmoth is dead but the Phyrexians aren't.

Also probably something stupid like, physical manifestations are gone but ethereal whatever.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Kilo147 posted:

And doesn't killing them on Zendikar release them to the rest of the multiverse, with severe consequences?

Let's hope so! :getin:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Honestly I'm not confident that Jund will show up in a top 8 in the next year. The format is moving to a place where Jund itself is less powerful than it was. Bloom, Tron and the new Eldrazi deck are very bad for Jund.

I agree with this. Been testing with my 2 friends playing Scapeshift, GR Tron and Eldrazi Control and I keep getting crushed. Currently buying the parts for junk to try that side of the coin, but what other modern decks can I make for reasonably cheaply with a complete jund shell?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

"how u doin, jace"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

"I just farted."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kilo147 posted:

Wait, I thought the Titans we know are simply weakened projections of their true and impossibly powerful forms in the Blind Eternities? And doesn't killing them on Zendikar release them to the rest of the multiverse, with severe consequences?

I think you just spoiled the plot for season two of the Planar Rangers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Wow, that's the biggest anticlimax ever.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Entropic posted:

Is that a list for that up somewhere? What's it useing for mana acceleration?

I based my list off of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20KP-ozNTc
I cut the slaughter pacts for a night's whisper and a go for the throat, and added some darkblasts and ruin processors to the sideboard (the ruin processors could very well be wrong).

This deck eats up any kind of midrange deck and laughs at tasigurs, goyfs and snapcasters. The discard gives it game against combo decks, the fetchable ghost quarters give you game against tron. Burn/zoo is tough and so is affinity and merfolk, but they don't feel like unwinnable matchups. You can sometimes draw the wrong half of your deck, but that only matters against decks with a fast clock.

You can splash white or red, but I think the consistency of having 4 urborgs and 4 eye of ugin in the mono black version is the way to go.

Also yeah, Reality Smasher is going to give it extra game against a lot of decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bonus posted:

I based my list off of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20KP-ozNTc
I cut the slaughter pacts for a night's whisper and a go for the throat, and added some darkblasts and ruin processors to the sideboard (the ruin processors could very well be wrong).

This deck eats up any kind of midrange deck and laughs at tasigurs, goyfs and snapcasters. The discard gives it game against combo decks, the fetchable ghost quarters give you game against tron. Burn/zoo is tough and so is affinity and merfolk, but they don't feel like unwinnable matchups. You can sometimes draw the wrong half of your deck, but that only matters against decks with a fast clock.

Also yeah, Reality Smasher is going to give it extra game against a lot of decks.

I'm onboard with Reality Smasher as a Standard staple but IDK if it's as good in modern... What bad match ups is it helping you with?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm onboard with Reality Smasher as a Standard staple but IDK if it's as good in modern... What bad match ups is it helping you with?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I just feel that a 5/5 trample haste that protects itself and can be cast off of 2 or 3 lands might be good in modern. I was thinking it might be good against decks that want to durdle forever (although you can usually just ulamog those decks) or decks that want to chump your stuff forever (lingering souls decks, etc.)

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 6, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bonus posted:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I just feel that a 5/5 trample haste that protects itself and can be cast off of 3 lands (which aren't that hard to assemble) might be good in modern. I was thinking it might be good against decks that want to durdle forever (although you can usually just ulamog those decks) or decks that want to chump your stuff forever (lingering souls decks, etc.)

Those are your good matchups though, no?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

"how u doin, jace"

Chandra mugging to get into a Dreamworks feature film

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Those are your good matchups though, no?
Yes. The reason I'm excited for it isn't because I see it slotting into an existing deck perfectly, but because it seems generally powerful with the eldrazi lands. Anyway, just something to keep an eye out for.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

The whole "hiding under the sea, or on another plane" line really gives that away especially with the next set title being Shadows over Innsmouth Innistrad.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

"how u doin, jace"

"no time for chitchat, chandra, we gotta find sorin."

*thought bubble pops up over jace's head*
\

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Reality Smasher an incredibly fast clock, that's always a good thing to have against combo decks. I like Thought-Knot for the deck as well, it fills a serious gap in the mana-curve and provides another way to mess up combos.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Standard is so dead. We used to get 20-30 people for Monday nights, but recently we've struggled to get even eight. Last night when the judge called out for Standard signups, someone yelled, "Why not Modern?" and with that, we had eleven people sign up for an impromptu Modern tournament.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kilo147 posted:

I think Wizards are pretending this isn't true, which is terrible

they're so much cooler as mind warping elder gods than giant monsters

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The last two times I went to my LGS for Standard the events didn't even fire. Guess it's time to start calling ahead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"no time for chitchat, chandra, we gotta find sorin."

*thought bubble pops up over jace's head*
\

This being in the thought bubble above Chandra's head is about 10 times funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

This being in the thought bubble above Chandra's head is about 10 times funnier.

Chandra likes her guys the way she likes everything else: flaming

• Locked thread