Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The real "problem" is that we're an extremely low traffic forum period because most goons think books only exist to be 1) assigned for summer reading and 2) cleaned out of grandpa's apartment after the mailman finds his corpse. It's a minor miracle we have people here who read anything, wizards or not.

Actually it's more that actual readers prefer reading books to yapping about them. I read a lot but only very rarely feel the desire to discuss what I've read with someone. It also takes time away from reading more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

less laughter posted:

Actually it's more that actual readers prefer reading books to yapping about them.

This isn't really true and this kind of "actual reader" nonsense is dumb. Lots of people who enjoy reading lots of books also enjoy discussing them with other people. This is why things like book clubs and literature classes exist and are popular. You may not be one of them, but you are not the only type of "actual reader" that exists.

You certainly seem to spend a lot of time posting about TV shows. Doesn't that take away from your "actual reading" time just as much as discussing books would?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Earwicker posted:

You certainly seem to spend a lot of time posting about TV shows. Doesn't that take away from your "actual reading" time just as much as discussing books would?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Earwicker posted:

This isn't really true and this kind of "actual reader" nonsense is dumb. Lots of people who enjoy reading lots of books also enjoy discussing them with other people. This is why things like book clubs and literature classes exist and are popular. You may not be one of them, but you are not the only type of "actual reader" that exists.

you have a weird habit of going after people's post histories in arguments bro

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am not attacking your character. There is nothing at all wrong with discussing tv shows. But since you said that discussing books would take away from your reading time, I'm wondering why the same does not apply to discussing TV shows. What's the difference?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you have a weird habit of going after people's post histories in arguments bro

I'm not really "going after" anything. I'm pointing out that many people who enjoy reading also enjoy doing things that take time away from reading. For some people that might be discussing the books. For someone else it might be watching or talking about tv shows. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make anyone any more of an Actual Reader. That part is bullshit.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Any goon recommendations for a basic reading lamp for bed?

An electric one.

less laughter posted:

Actually it's more that actual readers prefer reading books to yapping about them. I read a lot but only very rarely feel the desire to discuss what I've read with someone. It also takes time away from reading more.

I'd love to discuss the books i read more, unfortunately very few people actually want to talk about the very cool writings of tedious europeans.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A human heart posted:

unfortunately very few people actually want to talk about the very cool writings of tedious europeans.
It's true, I always skim your posts

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Anybody here read Live of the Monster Dogs? I'm a third of the way through it, and so far it's only introduced two of the monster dogs as characters. You don't even know any of the other monster dogs' names. I do know a lot more about the protagonist, a unfocused NYU student who just doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. Which wasn't exactly the story I was hoping for when I bought a book called Lives of the Monster Dogs.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Kind of weird you would pull out the logical fallacy card after being poo poo on for the no true scotsman one. Is that a fallacy too? Reductio ad absurdum?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A human heart posted:

I'd love to discuss the books i read more, unfortunately very few people actually want to talk about the very cool writings of tedious europeans.

A lot of the books I read are by tedious Europeans just different ones than the ones you like apparently!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I want to talk about every book I read with ppl and usually do

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I like talking about books because reading feels like getting to exist in a different world, and I want others to be there too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a bit in I think Conrad where he describes reading as collecting information into a package that you'll consign to the grave.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Talking about books is cool, but sometimes you want to keep the illusion that only you could really get that particular book

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I like talking about books because verbalizing and articulating ideas increases comprehension.

I also rarely read Fantasy or Sci-Fi, so I'm in the minority with only two or three threads to bounce in and out of.

My book quote thread hasn't even broken into a second page.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Lives of the Monster Dogs loving blows.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Does anyone use Amazon's Kindle unlmimited service, I mean the idea seems nice but the catalogue they have is terrible.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah that's been my experience. They do have Mary Renault's novels, which is the only reason I've kept it so far. Once I've finished with those, I may cancel unless they add some stuff. Anyone else found anything interesting?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Does anyone use Amazon's Kindle unlmimited service, I mean the idea seems nice but the catalogue they have is terrible.

Apparently it's really nice if you like mysteries and urban fantasy and read super fast - ie, if you're my mom. I don't really know what else there is on there that's worthwhile. Nothing I've bought recently has been.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm trying to re-read Three Hundred Million by Blake Butler

this rear end in a top hat is so frustrating to read, his use of burnt tongue is incredible but after a certain point in this book there appears to be no plot whatsoever and i don't know if i'm the victim of some cheeky practical joke or just missed some vital element in these cascading unbroken waterfalls of text

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

I like talking about books because reading feels like getting to exist in a different world, and I want others to be there too.

I take a trip to Arrakis like once or twice per year.

Seriously, DUNE is that great that I read it annually.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got a kindle for christmas this year and recently poked around into the kindle prime/unlimited stuff because I hurt my ankle and ended up stuck doing nothing for a few days, and was curious, are there any rules to Let's Read threads? Because there's some fun stuff in there, some utterly awful stuff, and quite a few books that are pretty fun and fast to rip through - often even entire trilogies.

I'm reading a trilogy right now that I really like however it's also really awful and has a lot of hilariously and inexplicably out of place stuff (like a gigantic bookcase being knocked over to take out an armored guard, in a random no-name hut in a tiny mountain village) being used to keep within the author's intent. It's not one of those poly/shapeshift/bi/catpeople ones which seem to cover the top couple hundred entries in the kindle free lending library, but especially because it's easilyl available for free for people to read along with (and it's short enough to be one novel) I was wondering if there are any rules of thumb or no-nos about let's read posts from the OP regarding spoilers etc. I mean I'm not promising frontal-lobe-sperm-magic-POV characters or anything, but it is a fun take on a genre that's usually pretty staid and boring, even if it misses a lot of punches.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank dystopian or post-apocalyptic?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Franchescanado posted:

Is Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank dystopian or post-apocalyptic?

It's a post-apocalyptic novel, or more accurately an apocalyptic novel I suppose as it takes place during an apocalyptic nuclear war that destroys the first world.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

It's a post-apocalyptic novel, or more accurately an apocalyptic novel I suppose as it takes place during an apocalyptic nuclear war that destroys the first world.

Perfect, thank you!

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

I thought about it but then realized that I could get much better books from my local public library's ebook collection.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What the gently caress mailman where are you why are you over two hours behind the usual time?????????????

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I just had a book discovery! I was chasing my cat out of the closet when I found a whole bunch of books at the back.

Turns out to be paperbacks from late high school/freshman years when I started reading Serious English literature - Paradise Lost, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Mansfield's Selected Stories, Marlowe's Complete Plays, Conditions of the Working Class in England, etc. Those white Oxford Classics and Penguin books them. Exactly the type of book that gets twisted and bent when you read it. You can barely put them up straight.

The only presentable one is Henry Green's collected Living - Loving - Party Going, which has been heavily patched up with tape.

But they're still readable, which is the most important thing.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 22, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

What the gently caress mailman where are you why are you over two hours behind the usual time?????????????
Chilling at the post office with his feet up on the table and nose in the book you ordered.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'm going to post a help me find this, if there is a better thread please tell me. I read a piece of fiction in the late 90s that was book length. This was after the sarin attacks but before 9/11. It was about a man who infiltrated terrorist cells/cults, helped them out up until the pivotal moment, and then left to go help another group somewhere else. He had fallen in love with one of the terrorists and was trying to decide if he'd stay to be with her or get out. I think the cult they were in was based on Aum Shinrikyo but I'm not positive. I think it had vignettes about him helping other groups but again I'm not positive. I don't remember much else about it, and for obvious reasons it's become impossible to search for.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

I'm going to post a help me find this, if there is a better thread please tell me. I read a piece of fiction in the late 90s that was book length. This was after the sarin attacks but before 9/11. It was about a man who infiltrated terrorist cells/cults, helped them out up until the pivotal moment, and then left to go help another group somewhere else. He had fallen in love with one of the terrorists and was trying to decide if he'd stay to be with her or get out. I think the cult they were in was based on Aum Shinrikyo but I'm not positive. I think it had vignettes about him helping other groups but again I'm not positive. I don't remember much else about it, and for obvious reasons it's become impossible to search for.

Some of that sounds like The Democratic Terrorist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hamilton_novels#The_Democratic_Terrorist
It isn't based on the rest of your description, but everyone should read the Hamilton books:colbert:

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

ToxicFrog, in the other thread posted:

We have a dedicated thread for that where you might have more luck!
Step right up for all your book finding needs

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is getting Infinite Jest on Kindle a bad idea? Would it be unreadable, with all the annotations or whatever?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

More readable as they're hyperlinked.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Thanks, it's quite neat.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

mcustic posted:

Is getting Infinite Jest on Kindle a bad idea? Would it be unreadable, with all the annotations or whatever?

If you like keeping track of your progress, the last page of the book is ~85%.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only annoying thing is jumping back with the hyperlinks on some readers will put the hyperlinked line at the top of the page regardless of where it actually was before. Not a big deal and worth it for the hyperlink but kind of disorienting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Of course by reading it on an ebook with convenient hyperlinks you'll be compromising Wallace's vision BUT I GUESS NO ONE CARES ABOUT ART ANYMORE

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Death of the author :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

:(