Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

THC posted:

Here are the regular columnists for the nationally circulated newspaper that published a piece warning white men are being silenced

Why do half their portraits look like they belong on an awful version of the 5 dollar bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Every time someone complains about trigger warnings or poo poo being too PC all I can picture is some dude screaming racial epithets in public and then throwing a giant tantrum when someone tells him to tone it down.

So basically you imagine the comments section on the CBC website.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sounds like my friend who listens to too much Bill Burr (who has outright said he's just telling jokes but some people take it way too seriously).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

Statistics Canada: Agency to Hire 35,000 Temporary Employees to Work on 2016 Census, Official Says

While the agency listed the positions on its website late last year, The Huffington Post published a story about the jobs Monday after Toronto Councillor Norm Kelly posted about them on Twitter.

itshappening.gif we are getting information about our Country again

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

InfiniteZero posted:

So basically you imagine the comments section on the CBC website.

Yes. Basically I am imagining what is literally happening, which doesn't take much imagination, I admit.

*EDIT*
It's even better when you see people posting dumb poo poo like this on facebook and saying "It would be funny if it weren't true!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

Trigger warning: Bad opinions

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'm surprised the OLP isn't covering the legal fees for Laura Miller but it's nice to see Dwight Duncan and John Yap kicking a bit in.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/315Nh5

Edit: Jesus H Christ

quote:

Anonymous gave $10,000

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's like 250 million dollars+. Didn't realize the cost was that high.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like my friend who listens to too much Bill Burr (who has outright said he's just telling jokes but some people take it way too seriously).

I've found a lot of people don't realize that Bill Burr is actually making fun of the poo poo he "gets angry" at. He's good at highlighting how ridiculous people are about hating and ranting against "political correctness". His show F is for Family is pretty good at showing that the people with those opinions are usually lovely people who are selfish and just don't realize how idiotic their rantings are and how they are failing to keep up with the times.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Gonna need to do some digging but I read an article a few months ago outlining some psychological studies that indicate that while no we don't want to try to treat traumatic experiences by strapping them in to a chair and forcing them to watch similar events like Clockwork Orange, the level of sheltering being demanded by people these days is showing evidence of being counterintuitive and serves to make people overly sensitive to mental stress.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Why do half their portraits look like they belong on an awful version of the 5 dollar bill?
Saves money on ink maybe?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
So do we have PR and legal weed yet?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ZShakespeare posted:

So do we have PR and legal weed yet?

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/ under Security

quote:

MARIJUANA
In progress Inprogress Security Bhang Brownies Cannabis Doobie Grass Hemp Herb Joint Pétard Pot Stoned Weed Space Cake Legalize marijuana by removing marijuana consumption and incidental possession from the Criminal Code. 113 comments

Not started Notstarted Security Bhang Brownies Cannabis Doobie Grass Hemp Herb Joint Pétard Pot Stoned Weed Space Cake Create new, stronger laws to punish more severely those who provide marijuana to minors. 7 comments

Not started Notstarted Security Bhang Brownies Cannabis Doobie Grass Hemp Herb Joint Pétard Pot Stoned Weed Space Cake Create new, stronger laws to punish more severely those who operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of marijuana. 26 comments

Not started Notstarted Security Bhang Brownies Cannabis Doobie Grass Hemp Herb Joint Pétard Pot Stoned Weed Space Cake Create new, stronger laws to punish more severely those who sell marijuana outside of the new regulatory framework. 25 comments

In progress Inprogress Security Bhang Brownies Cannabis Doobie Grass Hemp Herb Joint Pétard Pot Stoned Weed Space Cake Create a federal/provincial/territorial task force to design a new system of marijuana sales and distribution. 25 comments

Who cares about PR when WEED IS LEGAL rite guys

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Evidence based decision making?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

Not started Notstarted Security Bhang Brownies Cannabis Doobie Grass Hemp Herb Joint Pétard Pot Stoned Weed Space Cake

Indeed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As if we needed another reason to burn the Sun to the ground.

Lets make a quiz about a missing (and most likely murdered womans) hair colour!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Home of the Human "Rights" Museum

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Speaking of weed and Liberals

Yes, I have contacted all my friends in MP offices

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Speaking of weed and Liberals

Yes, I have contacted all my friends in MP offices

Dispensaries already mail weed, that article sucks.

also, if you are interested in :420: in Mississauga I may know some dispensaries for :airquote: research purposes :airquote:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

http://www.friends.ca/news-item/13500
"A first-of-its-kind independent economic forecast shows regulatory changes espoused by the Harper government and adopted in last year’s CRTC Let’s Talk TV announcements will likely lead to the loss of more than 15,000 Canadian jobs and take $1.4 billion from the Canadian economy annually by 2020."

Another good policy with positive long-term economic effects done by Harper Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

Gonna need to do some digging but I read an article a few months ago outlining some psychological studies that indicate that while no we don't want to try to treat traumatic experiences by strapping them in to a chair and forcing them to watch similar events like Clockwork Orange, the level of sheltering being demanded by people these days is showing evidence of being counterintuitive and serves to make people overly sensitive to mental stress.

I think there's an obvious compromise to be struck here. I think people have the right to be warned about things that might be offensive or troubling. I don't think they have any right to avoid those things entirely, most especially in an academic context, but also in wider society. No one has the right to permanently avoid being offended, regardless of whether we ought to warn people about potentially offensive material.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Potentially offensive humour and politics always brings me back to this lady.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Potentially offensive humour and politics always brings me back to this lady.
Someone needs to inform this slit-eyed humourless bitch that she has no right to not be offended.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Someone needs to inform this slit-eyed humourless bitch that she has no right to not be offended.

Of course she has no right to not be offended. By the same token, no one else has the right to threaten her because of her opinions, or claim that she's inherently wrong for being offended. I think Jon Stewart probably acted improperly in response in this case.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

THC posted:

:catstare:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Rosemary Barton is the new permanent host of power and politics.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

Rosemary Barton is the new permanent host of power and politics.

She will never sleep again, but did she ever to begin with hmmm.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Of course she has no right to not be offended. By the same token, no one else has the right to threaten her because of her opinions, or claim that she's inherently wrong for being offended. I think Jon Stewart probably acted improperly in response in this case.
Any time anyone calls out racism anywhere, someone invariably pops up to respond along those lines. That they're just overly sensitive, don't have a sense of humour, trying to shut down debate, don't have the right, etc, and should shut up basically. Maybe the actual problem is racism, not people who fight racism.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 6, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

Any time anyone calls out racism anywhere, someone invariably pops up to respond along those lines. That they're just overly sensitive, don't have a sense of humour, trying to shut down debate, don't have the right, etc, and should shut up basically. Maybe the actual problem is racism, not people who fight racism.

I don't think she's over sensitive, and I don't think she doesn't have a sense of humour. It seems like she responded vey eloquently, in fact. She absolutely has the right to take offence, as everyone does; she does not have the right to live in a world where she is never offended. No one does.

The people who fight racism aren't the problem, it's folks on either side that try to silence free speech. Everyone has the inherent right to say whatever offensive nonsense they want, and face the consequences as they come. Without an actual threat to public safety, we should absolutely not abridge the freedom of speech. Popular speech does not require protection; we ought not exercise our judgement as to whether certain speech should be forbidden, except at the point where it's inescapably harmful.

Edit: I don't think the woman in question is trying to shut down free speech by any means. She's criticising what someone chose to do with their free speech, which is of course a perfectly acceptable thing to do even if I don't agree with her completely.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 6, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The supposed problem of white men having their speech abridged, is massively overblown. I would even go as far as to call it "made-up" and "imaginary".

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
well, I'm glad pt6a finds that person's actions acceptable. we can all rest easy now

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

THC posted:

The supposed problem of white men having their speech abridged, is massively overblown. I would even go as far as to call it "made-up" and "imaginary".

I couldn't agree more. However one of the ironies of contemporary liberalism is that the collapse of a genuine leftist movement or intellectual tradition has meant that certain liberal projects such as state sponsored multiculturalism are only ever criticized from the right. Inevitably that means that the criticisms get refracted through the prism of right wing ideology: in this case it means, specifically, that concerns about the decline of social solidarity gets reworked into a complaint about "white men" being "silenced."

You can see a similar thing happening in the US right now: the long term decline of the left has created a vacuum which Donald Trump is now filling. If you ignore Trump's comments on race then many of his points about recent American leadership are hard to argue with: the government did a disastrous job in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, trade deals have screwed over regular American workers, American politicians are completely captured by corporate special interests and big money donors, etc.

Canada's commitment to multicultralism and pluralism is nice on paper but on deeper reflection it has aspects that can and should be criticized. The decline of a mainstream consensus, for instance, may shift the balance of social power even further toward big capital. The celebration of "difference" may disguise an overall indifference to the plight of refugees or temporary foreign workers once they arrive in the country. The celebrations of other cultures may serve to distract us from the incredible structural barriers faced by racialized Canadians, etc. And in other cases our commitment to tolerance may cause us to overlook the private tyrannies of religion and the family -- institutions that don't deserve automatic protection or deference.

In the case of the particular article you're mocking I think its really easy to get hung up on the stupid things he says. But I think he makes some good points as well and I also don't think he's making the kind of simple minded coded racist appeal that you're pretending he is. Someone who takes social justice seriously has an obligation to actually consider criticisms of liberal shibboleths like multiculturalism, because quite often those policies are just a superficial gloss put over whatever policies will provide the great benefit to our corporate and political rulers.

When the left (or liberals) refuse to participate in critical discussions of the programs or ideas they support, or when they dismiss any criticize as merely springing from white racial anxiety, they cede a lot of important ideological ground. Based on history (as well as current events in other parts of the world) this is a very dangerous strategy because it lends fascists and right wing nutcases with an air of authenticity, making it seem as though they're willing to espouse the dark truths that liberals and leftists want to suppress about modern society.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing stop posting on these worthless forums that don't deserve you and go make a well respected blog or what ever people with good opinions who can communicate them well do these days.
Or do both! But seriously you're really slumming it here with those wonderful effort posts, but I love reading them.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Helsing posted:

In the case of the particular article you're mocking I think its really easy to get hung up on the stupid things he says. But I think he makes some good points as well and I also don't think he's making the kind of simple minded coded racist appeal that you're pretending he is. Someone who takes social justice seriously has an obligation to actually consider criticisms of liberal shibboleths like multiculturalism, because quite often those policies are just a superficial gloss put over whatever policies will provide the great benefit to our corporate and political rulers.

When the left (or liberals) refuse to participate in critical discussions of the programs or ideas they support, or when they dismiss any criticize as merely springing from white racial anxiety, they cede a lot of important ideological ground. Based on history (as well as current events in other parts of the world) this is a very dangerous strategy because it lends fascists and right wing nutcases with an air of authenticity, making it seem as though they're willing to espouse the dark truths that liberals and leftists want to suppress about modern society.

In short: Telling people their concerns aren't real has never changed anyone's mind and never will. They'll just drift to the person who will say their concerns are VERY important.

Only these days, the refuge of left to right isn't always the path people take. Now they go left to libertarian, left to fascist, left to MRA, or left to MLP. It's all a spectrum of left flight. :v:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't discount your critique of multiculturalism, in fact I agree with most of them. Especially multiculturalism/pluralism as a cover for policies that enrich corporations and oligarchs.

Dosanjh however wrongly blames "political correctness" for the issues he raises. Read: the decline in the acceptability of xenophobic appeals in public discourse. I.e.: concerns about racist undertones in discussions of housing issues.

And being a Liberal, he won't go anywhere near the economic and fiscal policies of his party, or the corruption and favouritism that is inherent in our political system.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I've been saying to friends for a while now that it's impossible to criticize the left without either being lumped into the right, or having the right co-opt your criticism (especially when they're valid), but you did a much better job of explaining that and also going into detail about why that is, and how we've gotten to that point over the last few decades.

THC posted:

Dosanjh however wrongly blames "political correctness" for the issues he raises. Read: the decline in the acceptability of xenophobic appeals in public discourse. I.e.: concerns about racist undertones in discussions of housing issues.

I have doubts that this is a honest appraisal. If you genuinely believe that he's mistaken in the attribution here, can you tell us specifically what's driving the reactions described here?:

quote:

A recent study by Andy Yan looked at multimillion dollar mansions on Vancouver's west side that are being bought with foreign money. He argued it was about recent foreign money not race. Yan, an urban planner and adjunct professor at UBC, was hurriedly excoriated for "fanning" racism.

Another study of multimillion dollar mansions on the west side of Vancouver showed that a significant portion of owners declared incomes as low as the residents of Canada's poorest postal code -- Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. The transnational migrants who buy these mansions refuse to report their global income at tax time resulting in tax unfairness. The question asked by the Vancouver Sun columnist Douglas Todd was who will pay taxes to support our social safety net all of us use? Not many voices from the public leadership joined that debate to ask that or similar questions. And we continue to sell Canadian citizenships to the highest bidders without debating whether doing so builds the kind of society we want.

On the other hand we continue to bring in temporary workers without a real stake in the country. They are abused and used to drive down wages for Canadians; no way to build a caring, inclusive and socially just society. But sadly we can't and don't debate the kind of society we are building out of fear for being called racists; anybody such as Andy Yan who dares to speak risks inviting our wrath.

edit: Maybe I can phrase this better. The way you write, it sounds like you're dismissing "political correctness" entirely as something that doesn't exist. I'm suggesting that it's a tool that's being actively abused to silence talk about and cover up deeper flaws within our system. Do you think that's plausible?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You loving assholes!!!! I criticize the left all the time you fucks

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There certainly are illegitimate charges of racism flying about, and your quote describes a specific instance, and that's fine and we can talk about that. But as far as when someone tells me something to the effect that the Chinese are invading (we let them in), that they're erasing our culture (laughable), taking "our" land, like Canadians and especially whites have some kind of special privilege to Canadian real estate, when clearly only those who can afford to pay have that privilege, that is racism and I will call it out as such.

Also, whenever I've seen TFWP critics being accused of racism, those accusations were readily dismissed by leftist participants. That is unless the accusations actually had merit, which they sometimes did, though not as often as when we are talking about housing.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 6, 2016

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
is that idea that Canadians should have "special privilege: to Canadian real estate racist? Imagine i underlined the word Canadian in that last sentence. What do locals gain by inflated housing costs?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think Zizek raises a lot of good points on this subject. A lot of leftists hate him because he actually heavily criticizes the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lumius posted:

What do locals gain by inflated housing costs?

A free out from having to attend your strata meeting as it's now conducted in some bullshit moon language.