Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Birb Katter posted:

If you cut a sandwich in half does it cease to be a sandwich? Folding a slice of bread is the same.

Is a club sandwich really 1.5 sandwiches because it has 3 slices of bread?

Expand your mind fool.

Depends how you're cutting, are you taking the entire top piece of bread off? A sandwich requires two or more pieces of bread to be a sandwich. If you folded a slice of bread and then cut it down the middle giving you two half slices that would also be a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I get so loving upset about how people describe carcass in carbs.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

It's a loving freedom sausage you poo poo birds

I'll also accept democracy snag

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Spudd posted:

I'll also accept democracy snag

only when bought at polling stations

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Birb Katter posted:

If you cut a sandwich in half does it cease to be a sandwich? Folding a slice of bread is the same.

The ratio of bread to filling is important. A sausage in bread has just enough bread to hold the sausage, onion and sauce allowing the sausage to dominate. A sausage sandwich with two slices of bread buries the flavour of the snag and bogs you down with unnecessary roughage for the rest of the afternoon. Calling them both a sausage sandwich loses that distinction, which is OK if food is just something you stuff into your face in between inciting riots against browns and watching boofheads with no necks line up and run into each other a hundred times in an afternoon for no apparent reason.

Birb Katter posted:

Is a club sandwich really 1.5 sandwiches because it has 3 slices of bread?

No, it's just one club sandwich.

Which is all small bananas compared to calling a potato cake a "scallop". When you're illiterate enough to start confusing animal and vegetable, it's time to give up. A scallop is a mollusc. It's seafood. A potato is the tuber of the Solanum tuberosum plant, which apart from being delicious when fried into cakes, can serve as an improvised battery or even as an Immigration Minister if you're really desperate.

Spudd posted:

Sorry, only on election day.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

starkebn posted:

only when bought at polling stations

You eat them on non-election days?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sanguine posted:

Careful, this is due to things like free netflix data being canned.

Looking at my usage, I still have a shitload downloaded in Freezone (that might be through Steam maybe, but I don't think I bought and installed that many games recently), and I still haven't broken 200gig yet for about 20 days usage.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Which is all small bananas compared to calling a potato cake a "scallop". When you're illiterate enough to start confusing animal and vegetable, it's time to give up. A scallop is a mollusc. It's seafood. A potato is the tuber of the Solanum tuberosum plant, which apart from being delicious when fried into cakes, can serve as an improvised battery or even as an Immigration Minister if you're really desperate.

You are wrong. The French 'escalope', meaning 'shell' and from which we get the name of the bivalve mollusc, is also commonly used to refer to slices of meat roughly the shape and thickness of a potato cake. It is not that rare, and was previously commonplace in England, to refer to those cuts of meat as 'scallops'. The term 'potato scallop' is a perfectly reasonable extension of that semantic mode that is just incidentally uniquely Australian.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Then there are scalloped potatoes, which is a way to talk about potatoes au gratin that doesn't rely on using the language of the filthy French.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
I stand corrected.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Spudd posted:

You eat them on non-election days?

Most weekends when driving past masters or Bunnings I can't help but stop in and grab one.

And as if potato cake makes any more sense then potato scallop.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Club Sandwitch

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Recoome posted:

Clubs and witch

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Is it possible to have a thread that doesn't spend 3 pages on this argument?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

norp posted:

Maybe try Canpol?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

norp posted:

only if its a political topic.

replying to trolls, foodchat and bike chat all require at least 3 pages of everyone saying the same thing over and over again until someone breaks the cycle by posting somethingi that makes everyone angry at something else long enough to distract them.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

norp posted:

Maybe if this thread wasn't so borgeoioes - white bread and margarine is how its served - we could argue semantics on more important issues instead, like illegal/unlawful

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

asio posted:

Maybe if this thread wasn't so borgeoioes - white bread and margarine is how its served - we could argue semantics on more important issues instead, like illegal/unlawful

gently caress off the margarine, the fat from the sausage is more than enough on the bread. Fascist.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

norp posted:

Sure, just take the goons out of it

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
auspol - all the big issues.

I don't care what you call them. I just enjoy a sausage with some bread product and deep fried potato noms.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So hey, who knows anything about the Feder Government's Fair Entitlements Guarantee (FEG) scheme?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Laserface posted:

only if its a political topic.

replying to trolls, foodchat and bike chat all require at least 3 pages of everyone saying the same thing over and over again until someone breaks the cycle by posting somethingi that makes everyone angry at something else long enough to distract them.

Ask and ye shall receive.

quote:

Six-year-old refugee allegedly sexually assaulted on Nauru

A six-year-old refugee was allegedly sexually abused on Nauru and the perpetrator caught in the act by her parents, but the man is yet to be arrested or charged, the father has said.

A police investigation is underway, but the lack of any arrest or charges against the man, who is also a refugee, has angered the father and sparked concern among families in the community.

The girl’s father, an Iranian refugee living in Nauru, hit out at the island nation’s authorities over what he said was a lack of action, and questioned differing police approaches to crimes involving refugees and locals.

No one has ever been charged for an assault against a refugee or asylum seeker on Nauru, despite multiple allegations and documented incidents including abuse of children.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/six-year-old-refugee-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-on-nauru

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I've become too desensitised to that sort of thing to get angry about it, try harder next time.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Maybe this then GPD?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-06/pms-delay-on-sex-discrimination-commissioner-position-criticised/7069816

quote:

Labor questions PM Malcolm Turnbull's commitment to tackling discrimination against women By political reporter Susan McDonald Updated about 2 hours ago

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's commitment to tackling discrimination against women is being questioned, with the position of Sex Discrimination Commissioner left vacant for four months.

Key points:

Position of Sex Discrimination Commissioner left vacant since September
ABC understands shortlist exists and interviews will be held soon
The appointment will decided by Cabinet in mid-February
Elizabeth Broderick left the post in early September, but her departure was long expected after Attorney-General George Brandis extended her term by a year in 2014.

Senator Brandis told Parliament in early November, in response to Labor's questions, that an announcement would be made "very soon". In a statement, a spokeswoman for Senator Brandis said Human Rights Commission President Gillian Triggs was acting in the role. "The recruitment process is well underway and an announcement will be made shortly," the statement said. The ABC understands candidates have been shortlisted for the position and interviews will be conducted in the near future, before the appointment is decided by Cabinet in mid-February.

The Opposition seized on the delay and linked it to the Mr Turnbull's handling of what it called the Jamie Briggs and Peter Dutton "debacle".

"It's all very well to talk about tackling discrimination against women and stronger ministerial standards — this farce shows Malcolm Turnbull is failing on both those fronts," Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus said. Mr Dreyfus said it was "unacceptable" that women suffering discrimination had been left with no dedicated advocate for four months. "Malcolm Turnbull has simply done nothing to fill this important position," he said. "It doesn't appear to be a priority for him, and that is a disgrace for women everywhere."
And yet the turn around in LNP fortunes has been largely due to a turn around in female voter intentions. Just how loving stupid are these bimbos?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Maybe this then GPD?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-06/pms-delay-on-sex-discrimination-commissioner-position-criticised/7069816
And yet the turn around in LNP fortunes has been largely due to a turn around in female voter intentions. Just how loving stupid are these bimbos?

Maybe a couple of years ago, these days my outrage gland seems to have been wrung dry though. When you compare it to the Abbott years when Briggs and Dutton probably would've been promoted and the sex discrimination commissioner would've been replaced by Chris Berg, this seems so harmless by comparison.

Maybe Abbott was part of the LNP long game to make lovely neocon policy and behaviour seem less like getting your dick slammed in a door.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gay picnic defence posted:

Maybe a couple of years ago, these days my outrage gland seems to have been wrung dry though. When you compare it to the Abbott years when Briggs and Dutton probably would've been promoted and the sex discrimination commissioner would've been replaced by Chris Berg, this seems so harmless by comparison.

Maybe Abbott was part of the LNP long game to make lovely neocon policy and behaviour seem less like getting your dick slammed in a door.

Maybe Abbott is just a glaring example of the sort of people neocon policies attract. Really could go either way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, we should drag these people out of bed in the middle of the night and shoot them dead in the street

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, we should drag these people out of bed in the middle of the night and shoot them dead in the street

I'd be cool with this happening

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Maybe it's just easier to talk sausage than about the rape of a 6 year old.

Last time that linguistics things showed up in the thread lead to me spending hours pulling the piss out of my New South Welshman partner. "Put on my swimmers to eat a sausage sandwich at Could-gee beach".

He maintains that WA's sound retarded saying Coogee the correct way though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

I've become too desensitised to that sort of thing to get angry about it, try harder next time.

It's one thing to have a very divisive policy endorsed by the two major paries. However, its very much a different cat to see it applied with complete incompetence.

As a mainly conservative voter (and with no empirical research) my comment to you is - getting "get angry" about the later would appeal to more people I know than the former. Which is part of the outcome you want and would even be supported by scum like me.

So, unless your just being flippant - don't be a quitter.

If we can go one for one with Greens senators I'm all in.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Check out the whole conversation, it's pretty amazing.

Almost as amazing as an elected leader having a conversation like this in full view of the public.

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/684128757796352000

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Good choice of that Blofeld pic for your twitter account Leyonhjelm.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Almost as amazing as an elected leader having a conversation like this in full view of the public.

That's his actual twitter and not a faked account from a comedian? :aaaaa:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Zenithe posted:

I'm amazed that you're amazed by what a hard core Libertarian says to anyone and on what platform.

Be nice if he dropped the "c bomb" on The Bolt Report though.

e: Ha! Any publicity is good publicity:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...105-gm03xj.html

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 6, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I think you'll find people might be concerned you're setting an impossibly high standard.

I'm not sure anyone would mind if we splattered cat-hat's brains on the pavement though.

EDIT:

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 6, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Ironic War Criminal tactic.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
IWC is David Leyonhjelm? :raise: :monocle: It checks out!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

The Ironic War Criminal tactic.

For someone who thinks the government shouldn't interfere with our glorious right to do whatever, how exactly does he propose we in Australia fix FGM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

For someone who thinks the government shouldn't interfere with our glorious right to do whatever, how exactly does he propose we in Australia fix FGM?

Mandatory automatic shotguns and cats?

• Locked thread