Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i can see a benefit in actual home automation, but just adding buttons on an app to turn everything on and off adds nothing valuable. they need to put an interface in all this stuff in order to move on to the actual useful part, but in the meantime it's all going to be stupid

cool things that would be nice 2 have:
control oven temp/timer and get notifications from oven
get notifications for complete cycles from washer/dryer/dish washer
turn lights on and off based on programmable criteria
turn heat on and off based on programmable criteria
etc...

nobody wants this:
tweet from your fridge/oven/washer/dryer/dish washer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Elder Postsman posted:

that's all i can find.

easily turning on your range remotely seems like a really bad idea

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

cool things that would be nice 2 have:
control oven temp/timer and get notifications from oven
get notifications for complete cycles from washer/dryer/dish washer

these are dumb imo. why do you need notifications from an oven, are you like putting things in it to cook and then leaving the house or something. do you really need to know the exact moment that your washer/dryer/dishwasher cycle ends so you can drop everything and go deal with it. i dunno, it seems awfully pointless and dumb.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

im just imagining this except without someone home to fix it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_YXN8PiFNM

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

did sony talk about their vr poo poo at all?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I always turn the buzzers and stuff off so having a notification on the phone that I can see when I glance at everything else would be nice and it could keep reminding me until I swap it cause sometimes I forget.

oven temp notifications are good for similar scenarios like oh hey you preheated and forgot so heres more reminders or maybe you have a temp probe in a meat and you want to monitor it remotely. yes you can get things that do all this already but having standards around the data being available would be cool.

I'm not gonna go out and replace everything or whatever but w/ eventual replacements over time these would be nice features. nothing critical or anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

these are dumb imo

dumb or.. brilliant?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DuckConference posted:

you just reminded my that sony brought back the walkman at CES last year

it also cost $1200

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493145/new-sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Ever since I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a kid I've wanted a Rube Goldberg-like device that makes breakfast for me. When I wake up I hit a switch and it starts an automated process while I shower and get dressed. By the time I'm ready to eat there's a plate of eggs and pancakes w a glass of OJ waiting for me. When can my internet of things do that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a standard for the combination of wildly different devices into a single process. the internet of rubes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fart simpson posted:

it makes sense if its one of those refrigerated ovens and you don't know the exact time you'll be home for dinner when you leave in the morning

push notifications from the meat thermometer makes sense, too

not that any of these companies will deliver a device with software that isn't complete garbage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FCKGW posted:

you just reminded my that sony brought back the walkman at CES last year

it also cost $1200

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493145/new-sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015

there's a new one this year, it's only $300!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

FAT BATMAN posted:

Ever since I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a kid I've wanted a Rube Goldberg-like device that makes breakfast for me. When I wake up I hit a switch and it starts an automated process while I shower and get dressed. By the time I'm ready to eat there's a plate of eggs and pancakes w a glass of OJ waiting for me. When can my internet of things do that.

i spend way too much time thinking about automated food prep

there are lots of things to make cooking easier but you still need to refrigerate and prepare your ingredients first
at a minimum you need a device that can refrigerate and then heat something on timer
but a combo oven/fridge is harder to make than screwing a tablet to a fridge

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fart simpson posted:

To be able to check and turn off a hob / oven would be great, especially with clumsy people about. Entering a kitchen full of gas is not something anybody wants to do let alone repeat.

We still haven't seen much of the aging baby boomer product set and this fits perfectly into the assisted living realm.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 6, 2016

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

internet of things is real bad

follow @internetofshit on twiter

DuckConference posted:

sony isnt uh, doing much of anything and wont be in the near future

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

graph posted:

follow @internetofshit on twiter

yeah i just found it earlier tonight, it's very good

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

graph posted:

sony isnt uh, doing much of anything and wont be in the near future

it's releasing first half 2016

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's releasing first half 2016

wow! so how many more years of idiot chum while kaz spins off everything and turns the core into a consulting firm

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

I think it will be cool once all the dust settles and theres a iot standard so I can have like lights and heat controlled from a standard place. I don't really care about fridgeputers but theres plenty of home automation stuff that would be a nice to have once its streamlined.

i want my heating system to recognize that the firepupter in my stove can assist in heating

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ultramiraculous posted:

i want my heating system to recognize that the firepupter in my stove can assist in heating

friend, have you heard of bitscoin?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

the movie Hackers is finally coming to life thanks to Intel

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:byodood:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how a lot

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.

fart simpson posted:

there's even a voice controlled toilet

so instead of hoping that someone's bluetooth toilet is default to 0000 now I can just stand outside their apartment and scream FLUSH in mandarin?

neat

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

there's a new one this year, it's only $300!

and still has an interface that looks like a flip-phone from 2005

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

and still has an interface that looks like a flip-phone from 2005

the more things change the more they stay the same

makes u think

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FAT BATMAN posted:

they're called breakfast machines and they're basically toaster/coffeemakers w/ a place for an egg or a place for bacon/sausage

i don't think amazon carries them anymore tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

GoldenTeeth posted:

so instead of hoping that someone's bluetooth toilet is default to 0000 now I can just stand outside their apartment and scream FLUSH in mandarin?

neat

i guess so. i don't actually know what commands are available to it because i don't know anyone who bought one

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
here's how you make a washing machine that is good

1) it has three buttons and one dial.
2) one button is hot, one is cold, and one is on.
3) the dial is for time
4) it comes with a printout of all of those symbols and what they mean

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

actually no we're samsung let's make itso it's all touchscreen and wifi connected so if you don't have wifi it won't work and it's also outdated in a year when samsung stops updating it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

loving built in pinterest in a washing machine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Can I get an update on the LOMARF CAR?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the place we're renting has a mismatched pair of w/d and the dryer is like from the mid 80s and the washer is maybe 10 years old and the drum is broken so it's super loud but the landlords are like "it still works, when it breaks you can replace it!"

the old waifu's dad is at CES now, as an appliance salesman so we're hoping he brings home a couple of those new $15,000/pair w/d combos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wild EEPROM posted:

loving built in pinterest in a washing machine

really?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the washing machine i hope he gets has twitter built in to tweet you when your load is done

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I think it will be cool once all the dust settles and theres a iot standard so I can have like lights and heat controlled from a standard place. I don't really care about fridgeputers but theres plenty of home automation stuff that would be a nice to have once its streamlined.

yep home kits gonna own.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elder Postsman posted:

that's all i can find.

my neighbor's oven has a built-in meat thermometer. i could see that being kinda nice to monitor on your smartphone, kinda like some high-end grills and smokers let you do now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shaggar posted:

I always turn the buzzers and stuff off so having a notification on the phone that I can see when I glance at everything else would be nice and it could keep reminding me until I swap it cause sometimes I forget.
I want phone notifications for my washer because I turned off the notifications it came with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we had smart laundry at school which was great because the laundry room was far away and you could just check online if there were machines free before schlepping your poo poo over and you could check to see if your poo poo was done yet when you forgot to set a timer

this was in 2007 tho

• Locked thread