Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

evilalien posted:

I just komaki tiger dropped him to death. You can try the parry if you suck at tiger drop. Only try to fight him when he is blue. If he is red then run away until he isn't, if he is red and spawned umbrellas, use your dragon spirit to avoid the umbrellas and then turn it off and run away. I've also read that you can loop him with a throw, pick him up from the head so he is stunned, attack his back with square x4, triangle, circle combo which puts him on the ground again, repeat. Obviously bring tons of healing items as well.

Okay. I'll give your advice a shot tomorrow. I'm a little too frustrated to play well right now.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Okay. I'll give your advice a shot tomorrow. I'm a little too frustrated to play well right now.

Thanks!

If you need tiger drop practice, the arena is a great place to learn how to use it effectively. It really trivializes any fight as Kiryu/Saejima.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Thanks!

A better thing to do when he turns red is to also turn red. Your square attacks will bounce off him but they'll also do damage. When you're about to run out then you should run away, yeah. Not too far away though. If you lock on to him and sorta walk away at mid range when he's red he'll usually just impotently try to start a combo over and over until he runs out. Beyond that just fuckin' tiger drop all day

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

A better thing to do when he turns red is to also turn red. Your square attacks will bounce off him but they'll also do damage. When you're about to run out then you should run away, yeah. Not too far away though. If you lock on to him and sorta walk away at mid range when he's red he'll usually just impotently try to start a combo over and over until he runs out. Beyond that just fuckin' tiger drop all day

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention that trick to avoiding his attacks in red heat mode. Definitely do that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

lets hang out posted:

this ufo catcher with the bat you have to get in a hole is insanely hosed up
For both the dong-shaped UFO catcher and lining up pool shots I found using the remote for my receiver as a straight edge/visual guide helped. Like just holding it at arm's length to give a straight line to judge poo poo on the screen against.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
evilalien, I couldn't sleep, so I went back and tried this out. The tiger drop sets him up nicely for the loop, and the loop works three or four times in a row before he gets up too fast to continue. This really helped me pile on some serious damage! The only change that I made was to use the combo: square x 3, triangle x 2, circle.

absolutely anything posted:

This works great, and is hilarious, to boot! This saved me a lot of damage.

Thank you both!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Nice, glad that worked out for you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
After taking two hours to do the crane catcher, I surprisingly got my marlin on my third try.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

After getting through the slog of Saejima's chapter, the game has turned into elite beat agents, which is not something I want to be stuck doing. This is easily my least favorite entry in the series so far. Gotta push through to get back to smashin' dudes with akiyama I guess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wish there was a lot more to Haruka mode.
I would enjoy a 1080/60 fully fledged Haruka game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You just make me wonder what would happen if Kiryu gained a Stand.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You just make me wonder what would happen if Kiryu gained a Stand.

He already has survivor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haruka's chapter is awesome itt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ms. Park was more than a little crazy. "This is Haruka's dream. I know this because it used to be mine and I told her so." She just grabbed a random kid off the street and shoved all this baggage on her, and then Haruka went along with it because she is very polite.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ms. Park was more than a little crazy. "This is Haruka's dream. I know this because it used to be mine and I told her so." She just grabbed a random kid off the street and shoved all this baggage on her, and then Haruka went along with it because she is very polite.

I liked the "I lost my family chasing my dream and it was terrible" speech, given to the girl she took away from her only family. I get what they were going for with Park, but I feel like they worked too hard to make her unlikeable.

She treats her employees like assholes, the contract poo poo she pulls is unbeleivably cutthroat, and "if you're not good enough, I'll shut down the orphanage" is a caricature-level bad guy threat. By the time they start trying to make you like her, it's too late.

And like you said, it doesn't help that Haruka, for some reason, shows no real excitement about her job, or her supposed dream that would merit putting up with this bullshit.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Not Operator posted:

I liked the "I lost my family chasing my dream and it was terrible" speech, given to the girl she took away from her only family. I get what they were going for with Park, but I feel like they worked too hard to make her unlikeable.

She treats her employees like assholes, the contract poo poo she pulls is unbeleivably cutthroat, and "if you're not good enough, I'll shut down the orphanage" is a caricature-level bad guy threat. By the time they start trying to make you like her, it's too late.

And like you said, it doesn't help that Haruka, for some reason, shows no real excitement about her job, or her supposed dream that would merit putting up with this bullshit.

Asago getting the threat of closure is nothing compared to some of the poo poo the talent agencies pull in Ryu ga gotoku.

Look at Tomotsu, a guy who fell in love with a hostess who got suckered into a contract from an Yakuza backed gang. They extort her for money, reminding if she doesnt pay her dues they will have her as an actual sex worker. Tomotsu gets crushed romantically and physically when he basically got stomped in a match to win the money for the histess he had feelings for and the guy was threatened with being kicked off Dragin since he hasnt wont a single match.

Mirei was lucky her backer was a loan shark who wasnt backed by Yaks. Remember Akiyama only loans money to those who work for their dreams and Mirei is fighting tooth and claw after she fought once and lost badly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even without the forcible dream bestowal weirdness, it was very clear that Park was crazy as a shithouse rat just because of how she spent that money. Then there is how being an idol with secrets bit her in the rear end but then she picked a kid with secrets far more damning than hers could ever be. She was raised by a yakuza, who cares? Except for how Haruka was raised by that one particular yakuza who is functionally invincible. Like, if Park's stuff had been revealed it would have caused a scandal and tanked her career, but if Haruka's relationship with Kiryu became public knowledge she would be the target of at least some of the several million people he has punched in the face. It would actually be a much better method of taking down Kiryu than the usual "aim a gun at him in a cutscene" thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
C'mon, let's be fair, who's ever laid a hand on Haruka and had an intact skull to show for it?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i feel this is relevant to thread interests http://goodsmileshop.com/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/figma/figma-Kazuma-Kiryu/p/MAX_FIG_WD_00283

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing about Haruka and idoling is that it was simply unavoidable, this being a Japanese game with hopelessly uncreative ideas for how to show female characters. I don't blame Park's character for that because it's just assumed that by the time she got there, Haruka was already set on the path to become an idol.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh my god! Oh my GOD!

I thought Amiibos had put me off of buying overpriced plastic toys, but I need this. I hope for my sake they don't make a Majima figure.

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing about Haruka and idoling is that it was simply unavoidable, this being a Japanese game with hopelessly uncreative ideas for how to show female characters. I don't blame Park's character for that because it's just assumed that by the time she got there, Haruka was already set on the path to become an idol.
Kazuma said he didn't want Haruka to follow the same path he did, so he let her join the loving idol industry.

I think the idol industry might also have ties to the yakuza, but I don't actually have any idea.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Butt Ghost posted:

I think the idol industry might also have ties to the yakuza, but I don't actually have any idea.

As far as I know the whole of the Japanese entertainment industry is heavy with yakuza influence.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Also there was a quest in Yakuza 2 when a idol manager tried to kidnap Haruka and in the end Haruka and Uncle Kaz vowed when Haruka is ready, he can manage her

It was simultaneously foreshadowed and swept away

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

just like everything else from yakuza 2 :qq:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

lets hang out posted:

just like everything else from yakuza 2 :qq:

Was this some kind of authorial "re-owning" of the series or something? Yakuza 1 and 2 were written by Hase Seishū who has been a famous Yakuza crime novelist since forever and is part of why Yakuza 2 in particular is so amazing, but 3 and up have been written internally. But there's actually a lot of stuff in Yakuza 2 that isn't really brought up again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 6, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

would explain why 1 and 2 have pretty good stories and everything since has been kind of a mess

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh my god! Oh my GOD!

I thought Amiibos had put me off of buying overpriced plastic toys, but I need this. I hope for my sake they don't make a Majima figure.
Kazuma said he didn't want Haruka to follow the same path he did, so he let her join the loving idol industry.

Normally it does. But in Mirei's case it didnt since the loan she had was not from a Yakuza investor.

And people tend to forget how expensive managing an talent company is. Haruka getting paid is basically unheard of in her area of business. Most of your earning barely covers living expenses

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Never forget the model swap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV9RrdIUpTI

Also done with great success in Yakuza Ishin

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Well just beat the game, as much as I love the dumb over the top plots this is the game where I felt it was too dumb and kinda brought down the rest of the game. Still very good game

Also 69 hours to beat, only 38 percent completed. When Yakuza 0 comes out I'm definitely going to make sure I'm not playing any other games because man I rushed through a lot of content.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
i cant stop racing these loving chickens

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Haruka went along with it because she is very polite.

Not for nothing, but this is also the reason Japan got involved in WW2. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

i cant stop racing these loving chickens

You mean you actually raced them instead of playing Ultimate Menu Simulator for an hour to train just one bird?

precision posted:

Not for nothing, but this is also the reason Japan got involved in WW2. :v:

you are thinking of canada

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

You mean you actually raced them instead of playing Ultimate Menu Simulator for an hour to train just one bird?

you are thinking of canada

I spent an hour training gerry, bred him, spent some more time training gerry jr, then i won enough races to get jerry, and then i picked up barry and bred him, and am going to load up on tauriners to give to the trainers asap.

i love cock (racing)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I don't know why, but I found Akiyama's hostess substory culminating in a quest for a legendary cough drop really funny, especially because they ham-handedly shoved some FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS nonsense in there. Woulda had more impact if I wasn't in the finale and valued my material possessions so much. I'm carrying something like 9 million around and I sunk another million on this one hostess already, gently caress right off with this "this dream gonna cost all yo yens" nonsense.

Also I got a mystery stone in the gacha drink!!!!!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just finished the Amon fights and I'm kind of impressed that they keep finding new ways to make these fights all sorts of bullshit in every game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Where are you supposed to get a small motor and ash wood in Yakuza 5?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ryuga Death posted:

Where are you supposed to get a small motor and ash wood in Yakuza 5?

Ash wood is from the locker key in Haruka's dressing room. It was the one I picked up with her. Don't know about the motor.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Small motor is one of the rewards from Shinada's lottery.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I spent an hour training gerry, bred him, spent some more time training gerry jr, then i won enough races to get jerry, and then i picked up barry and bred him, and am going to load up on tauriners to give to the trainers asap.

i love cock (racing)

Toughness z might not be as efficient from a money/point ratio, but it lets you spend less time on Ultimate Menu Simulator and go back to cock racing. I will refrain from spoiling the wonderful prize you get from beating the final race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just did the ramen delivery and the pocket warmer quest one after another. This game is fucken weird.

• Locked thread