Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mischitary posted:

I saw one of the movies a while ago, Last Mission. It was so bad. "On" as a concept is just so stupid. It's the opposite of Nen...because it's fueled by hatred? Nen is just something that exists and people can use it how they like, man, it ain't like the force or something. So dumb. Don't watch it.

The first movie was also loving stupid. I hated every minute of it and I loving loved the 2011 animation.

It was so bland, I literally couldn't care about anything. No new exciting villains, just puppet clones of the Phantom Troupe + Illumi! Nothing exciting happens and I can't remember most of the movie, and now I'm wondering if I skipped over the scenes because that's how unmemorable they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Mischitary posted:

I saw one of the movies a while ago, Last Mission. It was so bad. "On" as a concept is just so stupid. It's the opposite of Nen...because it's fueled by hatred? Nen is just something that exists and people can use it how they like, man, it ain't like the force or something. So dumb. Don't watch it.

I always use that movie as an example of why the 2011 team never really got HxH. They just never really got Nen as a concept, they always treated it like Ki or the force as you said, when really it's just a tool everyone can use and it's a really personal thing at that, with strict limitations on what can and can't be done. It isn't some force for good or evil, it just exists as is and how it's used is entirely up to the user.

That stupid puppet member in the first movie for example doesn't follow any of the basic rules of Nen. He does things that only maybe Kurapika with Emperor Time on would be able to do, but even then it's pretty unlikely. They even have the Uvogin puppet shooting out his Big Bang Impact as an emission blast for christs sake, which not only would Uvo not be able to do because that's never what he made that move into, but the puppet guy would have to be doing a mix of Conjuration, Manipulation, Emission and Enhancement at the same time at 100% of each categories max potential in which is pretty much impossible for anyone except Kurapika to do just to pull that off.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I have not watched the movies or heard anything about them beyond complaints here, but, "nen but powered by hatred"? That alone is pretty ridiculous because, I mean, Nen already reacts to hatred. It can react to it very well even, as Kurapika, for the most notable and relevant example, shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

iirc that first movie was based on an unused idea for the manga, and it should have stayed unused.

Only worthwhile part is the Kurapika flashback which was featured in those special manga chapters too

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alder posted:

Completed series :five:

Kurapika is just :guitar: for the entire finale which was pretty disappointing but otherwise it was great to see a epilogue. Did he manage to get all the remaining eyes or not?

Still sad Killua and Gon parted ways but I understand why now. OK they have e-mail but it's not the same.

Also surprised the Phantom Troupe didn't have a resolution.

Well, they just stopped at the latest finished arc, so the things that don't have resolutions don't have them because they weren't resolved. But if you want an update on Kurapika, read the last couple of manga chapters, it sets up the new arc and gives some information what he had been up to.

edit: Also, On the dumbest loving thing. It takes an incredible well thought out system like Nen and makes it incredible dumb. That is basically an achievement in and by itself.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 5, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the part near the end of the Yorknew arc that starts like a stereotypical shounen scene where Gon is like "You know, if you really think about Kurapika's ability it's clear that he never really intended to kill the Phantom Troupe" and then Killua is like "nah he just wanted to exact full revenge instead of simply killing them (+ he needs to be able to kill all of them)."

That whole arc also puts into perspective just how unhinged Gon is that he effectively gave his life in a burst of uncontrollable rage when finding out that Pitou couldn't resurrect Kite. Like, it makes sense to be angry about it, but 1. Kite doesn't seem to be more than a "close Uncle" to Gon* (and certainly not the equivalent of, say, Kurapika's clan) and 2. Pitou even apologized for it and certainly wasn't acting like an unrepentant villain, ala the Phantom Troupe. What's he going to do if something happens to any of his other friends/close companions? In a war, you would definitely want to remove that guy away from the front lines.

*Maybe the comic/show just wasn't clear on this? I could see Gon being more upset if he was raised by Kite as a surrogate father figure or something, but I more got the impression that Kite just occasionally visited and was a "cool uncle" sorta guy to Gon.

Also, reading the article on Pitou on the Hunter x Hunter wikia and found this line:

HxH wikia posted:

In both depictions, Neferpitou is given wide (shoulder-width) hips with a slim waist, and a low waist-hip ratio is a trait most commonly manifested in post-pubescent human females.

I can't imagine a more :spergin: way to write that. And then there's this:

quote:

Meruem also commented on Neferpitou's strength, after failing to kill them with one of his tail strikes, leaving them with only minor bruises; Shaiapouf, another Royal Guard member, was driven through a wall by the same attack, although the King had increased his power at that time.

Pretty sure Shaiapouf being driven through a wall is completely irrelevant given that, as the article itself states, the King explicitly was stronger/hit him harder. "Shaiapouf was hurt more than Pitou when the King hit him harder than he had hit the latter" is not useful information. While it's certainly possible, and even likely, that Pitou is stronger than Shaiapouf, it simply does not logically follow from those two events. If you're going to sperg, at least sperg accurately. And then there's how they insist on listing every random thing that could possibly be indicative of the character being fast/strong/agile/endurable. Like how Pitou has "Immense Smell" (lol) because he was able to smell Pokkle. I mean, I'm sure he does have great smell, what with the whole cat motif, but being able to smell a dude within 10-20 feet isn't exactly anything extreme or "immense" for many animals, much less a cat.

I'm happy that people contribute to these wikis, but I get the impression that many of them are a little strange.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I re-read York Shin last night and I think that's the earliest point that it's explicitly stated that Gon's moral compass is unhinged. The auction character whose name I've already forgotten just flat-out states it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Ytlaya posted:

Like, it makes sense to be angry about it, but 1. Kite doesn't seem to be more than a "close Uncle" to Gon. Maybe the comic/show just wasn't clear on this? I could see Gon being more upset if he was raised by Kite as a surrogate father figure or something, but I more got the impression that Kite just occasionally visited and was a "cool uncle" sorta guy to Gon.

It actually does. The anime is overall very faithful to the manga, but they changed like the first two chapters.

Kite is actually the one that makes Gon want to become a Hunter. He come to Whale Island while on the search for Gin himself and meets Gon as a young child. Kite is the one that tells Gon about his father being a hunter and not dead, as Mito had told him, and gives Gon Gin's double star hunter license. He also has to kill a wild bear that Gin accidentally startled and berates him about that, which kind of defines Gon's relationship to animals.

So yeah, in the manga, Kite is pretty much a big brother figure and role model for Gon.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 5, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Basically Kite is the one who inspired Gon to become a Hunter and look for Ging. He made it sound really awesome when Gon was a kid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm happy that people contribute to these wikis, but I get the impression that many of them are a little strange.

I've personally never read a wiki that didn't seem awkwardly written. I almost want to believe it's because I only check them when it comes to bad anime but then I remember I checked for this one too so it's not just that- plausible- explanation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kite was the closest thing to a father figure Gon ever had. He introduced him to the world beyond the island and pointed him toward a path in life. Gon was too precocious for that path, is all. His innate talent took him forward faster than he matured, so he ended up making an awful, childish choice in the middle of a complex and dangerous situation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

e X posted:

It actually does. The anime is overall very faithful to the manga, but they changed like the first two chapters.

Kite is actually the one that makes Gon want to become a Hunter. He come to Whale Island while on the search for Gin himself and meets Gon as a young child. Kite is the one that tells Gon about his father being a hunter and not dead, as Mito had told him, and gives Gon Gin's double star hunter license. He also has to kill a wild bear that Gin accidentally startled and berates him about that, which kind of defines Gon's relationship to animals.

So yeah, in the manga, Kite is pretty much a big brother figure and role model for Gon.

Does he actually spend a lot of time with Gon, though? Even if someone had a big impact in your life, most normal people still wouldn't form very strong emotional attachments to them unless they spent a lot of time together. Like, there are some people I met who had a greater impact on me as a person, but I would still be way sadder and more upset if one of my close friends I grew up with was hurt/killed.

I guess I'm willing to believe that Gon does, in fact, have such a close relationship with Kite. I just feel that it's one of those situations where it would be better to show than tell, since the reader doesn't really get the same sense of "holy poo poo, how dare the villain do this, this is terrible!" Honestly, I think that people mention the "show, don't tell" guideline far too often and that it isn't always necessary, but this is a situation where I think it would actually help, given the evidently extreme influence it had on the protagonist of the series. If someone like Killua died, I could more easily understand and empathize with Gon's reaction.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Asuron posted:

I always use that movie as an example of why the 2011 team never really got HxH. They just never really got Nen as a concept, they always treated it like Ki or the force as you said, when really it's just a tool everyone can use and it's a really personal thing at that, with strict limitations on what can and can't be done. It isn't some force for good or evil, it just exists as is and how it's used is entirely up to the user.

IIRC the movie was directed by the guy behind the 1999 series, which also had some weird good/evil splits. The second episode (a filler one!) had a Hunter that was evil and mistreated animals for fun and profit straight out of Captain Planet.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Does he actually spend a lot of time with Gon, though? Even if someone had a big impact in your life, most normal people still wouldn't form very strong emotional attachments to them unless they spent a lot of time together. Like, there are some people I met who had a greater impact on me as a person, but I would still be way sadder and more upset if one of my close friends I grew up with was hurt/killed.

I guess I'm willing to believe that Gon does, in fact, have such a close relationship with Kite. I just feel that it's one of those situations where it would be better to show than tell, since the reader doesn't really get the same sense of "holy poo poo, how dare the villain do this, this is terrible!" Honestly, I think that people mention the "show, don't tell" guideline far too often and that it isn't always necessary, but this is a situation where I think it would actually help, given the evidently extreme influence it had on the protagonist of the series. If someone like Killua died, I could more easily understand and empathize with Gon's reaction.

He doesn't really spend too much time with Gon however he's Gon's friend and big brother figure. He also set Gon and his current path and knows he's a valued pupil of his Father and is supposed to help him find his Father.

e: It's also the first time he's dealt with loss and being lied to in such a manner.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kite is a deeply boring character, a completely generic hunter with no hooks for the audience to care about. There's a good reason why his first appearance got skipped over, he's basically replaced by the ten second voiceover at the start of the show. When he does show up the only thing you can remember about him is his ridiculous power.

This isn't a bad thing, for the most part. Part of the balance of the back half of the arc is that you don't really care if Gon somehow brings Kite back. As a character he's bunk, as a tool for bringing out the terrifying side of Gon he's perfect.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

e: It's also the first time he's dealt with loss and being lied to in such a manner.

Pitou did not lie. Pitou simply could not keep the promise. Pitou had no idea who Kite was, it took her a bit to remember who Gon was. Once she saw Kite it was impossible to keep the promise. More or less "I can't bring back the dead and he died in the fight against me. I'm sorry." Pitou even deactivates her puppet on Kite to show that he was dead.

After this Gon starts crying and mourning while in his mind going from blaming Pitou and himself for everything. (In which Pitou does something fairly kind and lets him deal with his grief for a few minutes.) Before they come into conflict.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

The HxH wiki is not great even by normal wiki standards. Besides moments like them deciding to keep referring to Alluka as male after acknowledging that she identified as female, the general writing of it is really long, rambling listing of every single detail, and yet also frequently making strange leaps of logic or simply being outright wrong, so outside of refreshing one's memory by using it as a general summary of things it's not that useful. Also whoever wrote most of it isn't that great with English, which doesn't help.

As for Kite, he's not really relevant for most of the series, no, and I can see why I cut the moment with him, since fully adapting the first chapter, while letting a couple later moments have a bigger impact (meeting Kite again and all, and also the moment with the bear when Gon and Killua return to Whale Island), but it'd have bogged down the first episode heavily and taken up at least half of it on things that just wouldn't matter much in the long run, and it let them get into the main plot that much faster.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pitou did not lie. Pitou simply could not keep the promise. Pitou had no idea who Kite was, it took her a bit to remember who Gon was. Once she saw Kite it was impossible to keep the promise. More or less "I can't bring back the dead and he died in the fight against me. I'm sorry." Pitou even deactivates her puppet on Kite to show that he was dead.

After this Gon starts crying and mourning while in his mind going from blaming Pitou and himself for everything. (In which Pitou does something fairly kind and lets him deal with his grief for a few minutes.) Before they come into conflict.

Gon doesn't care about Pitou's reason. She said she'd do it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

Gon doesn't care about Pitou's reason. She said she'd do it.

Oh of course. Which is why Gon called her a liar after.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Wasn't the stated reason for not including Kite in the beginning that Madhouse didn't think they'd be able to make Chimera Ant due to the way darker tone and increased violence?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TriffTshngo posted:

Wasn't the stated reason for not including Kite in the beginning that Madhouse didn't think they'd be able to make Chimera Ant due to the way darker tone and increased violence?

YEP! I'm too lazy to dig it up but I also think they said the real Hunter doesn't start until after the exam arc so I think they wanted to rush to the stuff they liked better.

They got to make the ants by changing timeslots, the Ant arc aired late at night.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Hunter Exam arc is still my favorite.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
An important thing about Gon's breakdown against Pitou is that Gon was blaming himself for Kite's death. I's the first time he thinks he is the one directly responsible for the death of a friend because he was arrogant, and that's what motivated him to throw away his life as repentance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Repentance? Nah. Gon wasn't thinking of anything but how much he wanted to kill Pitou by then. He threw away his future, friends and responsibilities, but not because he thought it would make up for not being able to save Kite. Gon got so incredibly angry that all he cared about was venting that anger, meaning it was pure self-gratification.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The Hunter Exam arc is still my favorite.

This but only if GI didn't exist. The Hunter Exam arc is so good for how different it is. It has an adventurous spirit none of the other arcs quite have (GI comes close though), and the lack of Nen gives it a certain quality the later arcs lack.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pitou should have gave gon a hug

or killed him without saying anything

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

An important thing about Gon's breakdown against Pitou is that Gon was blaming himself for Kite's death. I's the first time he thinks he is the one directly responsible for the death of a friend because he was arrogant, and that's what motivated him to throw away his life as repentance.

Why would he blame himself, other than some silly "I should have been strong enough to protect him!" thing? Did Gon's actions directly lead to Kite's death (maybe they did, I'm not asking hypothetically)?

Either way, like Serious Frolicking said, I think he did what he did almost entirely out of anger. While I think Pitou attacks him before he goes berserk (I can't remember the exact order of events; didn't Pitou tell him about Kite, followed by Gon being stunned, followed by Pitou saying "sorry, but I have to kill you to protect the king"?), it seemed pretty clear that Gon would have murdered him even if he got down on all fours and promised to devote the rest of his life to Good. Which isn't the same impression I got from Kurapika. I get the feeling that, if for some bizarre reason Uvogin had said "I'm sorry, that was wrong of us" in a convincing matter, Kurapika wouldn't have killed him (though he still probably would have given him some prohibitive chain condition like Chrollo's "never use nen"). Even Pakunoda's actions throw him into disarray, despite her still being complete unapologetic about the Troupe's actions.

On a side note, I was thinking about Shizuku's nen ability and it is actually more powerful for single combat that it might seem at a glance. If she manages to break your skin even once without you instantly covering it/bandaging it up, she can just suck out all your blood like in her fight with Pike. Also, for a comedy option couldn't she suck off all your clothes?

As far as "worst nen abilities" goes, Squala's dog manipulation thing comes to mind. I'm pretty sure any trained hunter could instantly kill a bunch of dogs attacking them, and the only really useful applications of his ability are really cruel towards the dogs (ala "send suicide dog to scout") and I doubt he would do such a thing in the first place.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 6, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

Why would he blame himself, other than some silly "I should have been strong enough to protect him!" thing? Did Gon's actions directly lead to Kite's death (maybe they did, I'm not asking hypothetically)?

Kite lost his arm protecting Gon from Pitou, so if Gon hadn't been there maybe he could have won. That's the logic anyway: that insisting on being brought along got Kite killed.

quote:

As far as "worst nen abilities" goes, Squala's dog manipulation thing comes to mind. I'm pretty sure any trained hunter could instantly kill a bunch of dogs attacking them, and the only really useful applications of his ability are really cruel towards the dogs (ala "send suicide dog to scout") and I doubt he would do such a thing in the first place.

I'm pretty sure the dogs would be protected by Squala's nen in battle. Not necessarily the best weapon ever, but no worse than playing cards anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He had a largely non-combat power like so many other characters do. Controlling dogs like that would be a great ability for a bodyguard, as it would let him detect threats early. For actually handling those threats, he needed to rely on others. I forget if he could communicate with the dogs or just control them, though.

I'd say the precog girl is by far the weakest nen user we've seen, but no one is gonna claim that her power is useless.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Instant Lover.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The thing about Squala's power though is that it seems that it would be possible to pull off the stuff he does if you were just a really good animal trainer. Though I suppose that normal dogs might not be able to do this without nen.

Not denying their usefulness though, since they can even be used to check if food is safe to eat, which is really useful for a bodyguard like Serious says.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Instant Lover.

Good for getting information out of people without needing to resort to extreme torture or leaving behind evidence.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

He had a largely non-combat power like so many other characters do. Controlling dogs like that would be a great ability for a bodyguard, as it would let him detect threats early. For actually handling those threats, he needed to rely on others. I forget if he could communicate with the dogs or just control them, though.

That's actually a good point. If he can communicate with the dogs to some extent, it's basically like having super hearing and super smell all rolled up into one ability.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Squala was just too much of a regular dude to truly master nen. Weirdness isn't linked to power levels or anything, but only weirdos get very far. A strange enough person could make a dog control nen really powerful, like with equipping them as dog armor or combining them into one really big dog or granting each dog their own unique ability, etc.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

Either way, like Serious Frolicking said, I think he did what he did almost entirely out of anger. While I think Pitou attacks him before he goes berserk (I can't remember the exact order of events; didn't Pitou tell him about Kite, followed by Gon being stunned, followed by Pitou saying "sorry, but I have to kill you to protect the king"?), it seemed pretty clear that Gon would have murdered him even if he got down on all fours and promised to devote the rest of his life to Good. Which isn't the same impression I got from Kurapika. I get the feeling that, if for some bizarre reason Uvogin had said "I'm sorry, that was wrong of us" in a convincing matter, Kurapika wouldn't have killed him (though he still probably would have given him some prohibitive chain condition like Chrollo's "never use nen"). Even Pakunoda's actions throw him into disarray, despite her still being complete unapologetic about the Troupe's actions.

Yeah, Kurapika almost wanted a reason to not kill Uvo there. He was pissed, but when he actually had to experience killing another person, and not just that but brutally beating them to get information out of them, he found that it wasn't satisfying at all. I think he might have let Uvo live if he complied, but I'm not entirely sure; he still went on to try to kill the others, after all, though he did go through with a (theoretically) bloodless solution for decapitating the spiders when he had a chance. It definitely wasn't the same as Gon killing Pitou, though.

quote:

On a side note, I was thinking about Shizuku's nen ability and it is actually more powerful for single combat that it might seem at a glance. If she manages to break your skin even once without you instantly covering it/bandaging it up, she can just suck out all your blood like in her fight with Pike. Also, for a comedy option couldn't she suck off all your clothes?

I think anyone with basic nen manipulation would have been able to use their aura to seal off the wounds, really. The Ants, despite developing interesting Hatsus, had little grasp of the fundamentals in most cases, and Pike in particular was an idiot.

quote:

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'd say the precog girl is by far the weakest nen user we've seen, but no one is gonna claim that her power is useless.

Squala's dogs probably weren't meant for combat with hunters, no, though he did have them set up around during the "test" when Kurapika and the others tried to join the Nostrades, so, I wouldn't be surprised if they were nen enhanced.

As for Neon (assuming that's who you mean), yeah, her natural talent gave her a powerful and unique ability, but, she has no grasp of nen beyond it; it's hard to call her a nen user, really, except in that she does technically use nen with her ability. She has no knowledge of any aspects of it and doesn't think it's a thing, so she's not really comparable to even the weakest person who has actually learned nen.

Anyway, the clear worst nen ability was Cheetu's crossbow. The projectile was slower than he is, and the claw, while possibly having extra qualities, probably wasn't much more dangerous than his own nen-enhanced claws. It, at least for the person who had it, is possibly the most useless thing we've seen from nen.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 6, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm not sure that Squala was even a hunter, just a guy who knew nen.

That other guy with the balloons was a hunter though. Shame they both got iced.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cheetu is an idiot so it fits.

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm not sure that Squala was even a hunter, just a guy who knew nen.

That other guy with the balloons was a hunter though. Shame they both got iced.

Balloons?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tocino.

Blew up eleven balloons to create simple-minded soldiers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Tocino.

Blew up eleven balloons to create simple-minded soldiers.

Those were balloons? I thought they were paper dolls.

Either way dude was poo poo.

Moraeu could do way better and way more.

Sucks to be you Tocino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Morel was a single-star hunter, that dude was on his own level.

Tocino is more like what your average layman would be able to accomplish with superpowers.