Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

bartkusa posted:

drat. I'm going to miss having a boring election that I don't have to think about.

Was he effective/influential in Congress?

He at the very minimum got people thinking about the war in a very serious way in 2003 when he went to Iraq and straight up said that the WMDs were bullshit. Guy has balls the size of your mom.

I lived in TN at the time and the name Baghdad Jim was being thrown around like crazy. It riled up the fox news crazies but it made people like me revisit right wing views.

Also he was just always a 100% lock for left legislation. It's always good to have solid people to count on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

bartkusa posted:

Was he effective/influential in Congress?

Put it this way: the two Democrats who outrank him on the Ways and Means comittee are Sandy Levin and Charles Rangel. He's an old player like Norm Dicks was.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Counterpoint: he had a super safe seat, and he had it forever, and with that he was a fourth stringer at best at power and topped out at influence by making some cameos in Michael Moore movies. He's vastly underperformed and I hope whoever replaces him does better.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Best Friends posted:

Counterpoint: he had a super safe seat, and he had it forever, and with that he was a fourth stringer at best at power and topped out at influence by making some cameos in Michael Moore movies. He's vastly underperformed and I hope whoever replaces him does better.

Representative Kshama Swavant. :getin:

Representative Goodspaceguy :jeb:

Representative Tim Eyman :smithicide:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

foobardog posted:

Representative Kshama Swavant. :getin:

That was my first thought when I heard the news. That would be great.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

Do you understand how committee appointments work

WayAbvPar posted:

That was my first thought when I heard the news. That would be great.

My thought as well, it's not like she would lose next time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pacific Brewing and Odd Otter make pretty good beer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've never been to Dick's Drive-In, but a bunch of you guys mentioned it in here and http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/obituaries/dick-spady-co-founder-and-namesake-of-dicks-drive-in-dies-at-91/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I guess the bigger news for me was that a bikini barista blew up in Everett and the barista died from her injuries. I used to drive by that barista almost every day going home.

Edit: it was the same barista location that was in the news for (surprise!) a prostitution scandal.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

He's eating a bag of Dick's in heaven now :(

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

seiferguy posted:

I guess the bigger news for me was that a bikini barista blew up in Everett and the barista died from her injuries. I used to drive by that barista almost every day going home.

Edit: it was the same barista location that was in the news for (surprise!) a prostitution scandal.

I can't wait for the new craze, nomex clad baristas. :mmmhmm:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wanamingo posted:

He's eating a bag of Dick's in heaven now :(

I've never wanted some Dick's in my mouth until now.
What an amazing fellow.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

If I honor Mr. Spady in the proper way (Deluxe, Special, and a cheeseburger!), it will definitely lower my chances of living to be 92 like he did.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

WayAbvPar posted:

If I honor Mr. Spady in the proper way (Deluxe, Special, and a cheeseburger!), it will definitely lower my chances of living to be 92 like he did.

Everyone knows the proper Dicks order is Deluxe, fries, and a chocolate shake.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Mrit posted:

Everyone knows the proper Dicks order is Deluxe, fries, and a chocolate shake.

Unless you are over 2 bills, I have never seen someone over 200 order just 1 deluxe.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Ya'll crazy. The proper dicks order is three cheeseburgers. You eat two at the stainless steel bar and save one for later while drunk.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

I grew up across the street from a Dick's Drive-In in Lorain, Ohio. Did the Seattle restaurant franchise out of state or was this just some local Dick?

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 15, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's a local dick. our dicks are better than that one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle, WA: our dicks are better than yours.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
loving tunnel

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
For people like me who didn't instantly know what he meant: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/inslee-orders-bertha-tunneling-stopped-after-sinkhole-forms/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Jesus, how long until we just scrap the entire project. This is looking dumber than the tolls on 405.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Fingers crossed the next sink hole just collapses on the machine and we can just bury it for good, or add it to the Seattle underground tour.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Love how the article ends with "Haha we weren't really following soil testing protocol there, but we will from now on, promise." Oh my god.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Soarer posted:

Fingers crossed the next sink hole just collapses on the machine and we can just bury it for good, or add it to the Seattle underground tour.

A new Seattle underground. Neat.

BrandorKP posted:

Pacific Brewing and Odd Otter make pretty good beer.

Good beer to be found to the South

Want a good pub crawl. Start at Tacoma dome and go all the way down Pacfic, you even get a nice free street car to ride on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Don't make fun of us, we'll serve you fake arrest warrants. Please pay your fines in real US dollars - not monopoly money.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=932794100150096

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Wasn't there some study showing the tunnel would be expensive, ineffective, over-budget and over-schedule and that there was an alternative plan which did not involve tunnels and was much more likely to work well?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Accretionist posted:

Wasn't there some study showing the tunnel would be expensive, ineffective, over-budget and over-schedule and that there was an alternative plan which did not involve tunnels and was much more likely to work well?

There was a lot, the Stranger basically harped on it for years. Just tearing down the viaduct and not building anything would have likely been a better plan.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They should just stop all work permanently and ordain the current progress as the world's largest civic butthole.

People will travel the world over to stand in its gaping wonder.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

foobardog posted:

There was a lot, the Stranger basically harped on it for years. Just tearing down the viaduct and not building anything would have likely been a better plan.

Too bad corrupt businesses forged ahead anyway, even installed their own pro-business mayor.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

effectual posted:

Too bad corrupt businesses forged ahead anyway, even installed their own pro-business mayor.
Speaking of which, why the gently caress would anyone import a texan to run an energy department? :mad:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/austin-utility-chief-tapped-as-nominee-for-city-light-ceo/

quote:

Larry Weis, who currently leads Austin Energy, is Seattle Mayor Ed Murray’s nominee to become Seattle City Light CEO.

The mayor scrapped a pay increase for Carrasco in July 2014 after The Seattle Times revealed he authorized $47,500 in City Light contracts with an image-management firm to improve Google search results for the utility and his own name.

Weis’ starting salary will be $340,000 a year if he’s confirmed by the Seattle City Council.

Under Carrasco, City Light made strides in energy efficiency. In 2005, it became the country’s first major public utility to achieve zero net greenhouse-gas emissions.

Seattle’s rates are among the lowest of the nation’s largest cities, according to City Light. The rates increased this year by an average of 4.2 percent and will increase next year by 4.9 percent.

I dont know the names well, but theres already been some public anger. Anyone more involved know anything more substantial?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So does anyone know what's going to happen with Washington's driver license not following the Real ID standard or whatever? I was thinking of visiting the Hanford site later in the year and noticed this bit of insanity: http://www.hanford.gov/files.cfm/Hanford_Badge_Real_ID_fact_sheet.pdf Apparently you have to have a Real ID valid ID to visit the site... which means people with Washington state drivers licenses can't visit the stupid site that's in their own state (without having another form of ID too). What a clusterfuck, is WA state going to fix their screwed up drivers licenses or are we just going to have to get used to traveling, etc. with our passports all the time?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mod sassinator posted:

is WA state going to fix their screwed up drivers licenses or are we just going to have to get used to traveling, etc. with our passports all the time?
Its more PATRIOT Act era horseshit than WA suddenly loving anything up.

IN the meanwhile:

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/standard-drivers-license-soon-wont-get-you-aboard-aircraft/

quote:

Standard Washington licenses or ID cards can be upgraded to enhanced status for a calibrated fee of $3 per year remaining on your current license or ID card.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
CEO of my company has had problem visiting government sites around the country because he just has his WA ID. Sent a company wide email letting everyone know about this bullshit so we all have a heads up to always bring passports everywhere, now that the WA ID has been depreciated like a CD player after iPods came out.

Edit: Like a CRT television after flat-screens. Like Windows Vista after Win7.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
FWIW they announced that you'll still be able to use the basic WA driver's license at airports for at least another two years.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, Washington, what the gently caress is this http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2782&year=2015

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

I'm like two paragraphs in and its already bullshit. Won't they be surprised to discover a lot of people with "female anatomy" have "male DNA" and vice versa. Get Dr. Fausto-Sterling on the line.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Its Republicans.txt, nothing new.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
what the gently caress does "male DNA" and "female DNA" even mean

Yes, the intent is clear in that they're trying to specify biological males/females

but what the gently caress is "male DNA"--having one X and one Y chromosome? Then what about all the people born with multiple Xs or Ys? Is it anyone with at least one Y chromosome? All non-practical arguments aside I guess you could at least do the categorization that way (you'd still be an idiot).

And that's the easy one. How do you define female DNA now? Can't go by "presence of (number) of X chromosomes"

and that's just problems with definitions! Let's not even touch enforcement! What'll they do, blood tests?

It's idiotic from every possible angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
A lot of bills are created and never brought up in committee let alone brought to the floor. House bills are especially retarded because there are a bunch of idiot republicans doing dumb poo poo and trying to be martyrs.

• Locked thread