Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

happy monday nasty fish thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hello to you too, forums user a real jerk

Feel free to grab a tin from the shelf at Seafood King in Sacramento, CA.

EDIT: it's Seafood City. :argh:

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 5, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

Wait, what. I live here and I didn't know about this glorious place of 'dines?!!? Shopping trip tomorrow it seems.

e; Mostly cause Seafood King on google doesn't give me poo poo, where the gently caress is this place and what's its real name?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

:stonk:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like that squid jerky sometimes

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
*jump kicks bay cliff and chicken of the sea off that shelf*

*quietly replaces chicken of the sea smoked oysters and then gets chased out of the store by employees*

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

cram me sideways posted:

*jump kicks bay cliff and chicken of the sea off that shelf*

*quietly replaces chicken of the sea smoked oysters and then gets chased out of the store by employees*

Uh relax man this is an OOC thread

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DiggityDoink posted:

Wait, what. I live here and I didn't know about this glorious place of 'dines?!!? Shopping trip tomorrow it seems.

e; Mostly cause Seafood King on google doesn't give me poo poo, where the gently caress is this place and what's its real name?
Whoops. Seafood City
6051 Mack Rd, Sacramento, CA 95823

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 5, 2016

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Hey Sardinians, what are the recommended brands of smoked oysters? I've only had Reese's but something tells me there are much better ones out there.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:coolfish: Holy Mackerel! :coolfish:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
just stocked up on the old 55 cent spanish 'dines from the local supermarket. insanely high quality for the price and would compare favourably to KO if they were packed in olive oil rather than sunflower

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
Because of this thread I decided to try some sardines here's my trip report:

Bought 2 tins of Wild Planet sardines cause the King Oscar ones were out of stock. One plain in olive oil, the other with lemon added.

Would not recommend. Both tins had ~6 largish sardines that tasted mostly like smoke. The lemon 'dines had no discernible lemon flavor whatsoever.

Went back a few days later and the KO stuff was back in stock so I bought a tin. The difference was vast - more, smaller fish without the overpowering smoke flavor. The fish were much more intact as well. Pretty good. I ate them out of the tin with some mustard.

I'll get them again and try them on bread or crackers or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had a tin of KO Tiny Tots on crackers with sriracha sauce for lunch - it was pretty good. Pretty mild flavor - not as fishy as I was expecting. Probably would've been better if I was using something less sweet than Ritz-type crackers, though.

Also had a tin of KO kipper snacks a few days ago, and can definitely say they are better than the Brunswick version. Better color and flavor in every way.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Holy crap, note to anyone in michigan or any place where you have meijer and kroger chains - kroger sells their KO sardine cans for $3.20 each or at least over $3 while meijer sells them for 2 for $5. plain, mediterranean, doesn't matter. I think singles at meijer are $2.50 but I'll have to verify next time

Keith Atherton posted:

Holy moley these are top tier if you are into skinless/boneless dines.

you're like the zima drinker of dadfoods. seriously there is no reason to eat boneless/skinless unless you intentionally want to feed your body less nutrients. serious question: what are you afraid of? get some KO dines and learn from the mistakes you've been making.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Geoff Zahn posted:

Hey Sardinians, what are the recommended brands of smoked oysters? I've only had Reese's but something tells me there are much better ones out there.

I've only ever seen around 4 brands (Reeses, Geisha, Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea) and they're all product of Korea with the same level of smoke in the same rectangular tin, the only difference I've seen is the oil used, cottonseed or soybean. If I could find the same oysters in olive oil I'd be happy. I like the tiny ones. I'm afraid of the Chinese ones, maybe unfairly - sorry China!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Myron Baloney posted:

I've only ever seen around 4 brands (Reeses, Geisha, Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea) and they're all product of Korea with the same level of smoke in the same rectangular tin, the only difference I've seen is the oil used, cottonseed or soybean. If I could find the same oysters in olive oil I'd be happy. I like the tiny ones. I'm afraid of the Chinese ones, maybe unfairly - sorry China!

When I want to buy Chinese foodstuffs I will go through the poo poo on the shelf until I can at least find something made in Taiwan. Would never eat a Chinese food product if there was another option. The reason is I lived in China for a while.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Whoops. Seafood City
6051 Mack Rd, Sacramento, CA 95823

:tipshat:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

When I want to buy Chinese foodstuffs I will go through the poo poo on the shelf until I can at least find something made in Taiwan. Would never eat a Chinese food product if there was another option. The reason is I lived in China for a while.

We need to stop posting in the same threads it is decreasing the amount of things I can post without being repetitious.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pastor Perineum posted:

Holy crap, note to anyone in michigan or any place where you have meijer and kroger chains - kroger sells their KO sardine cans for $3.20 each or at least over $3 while meijer sells them for 2 for $5. plain, mediterranean, doesn't matter. I think singles at meijer are $2.50 but I'll have to verify next time

Wow, thanks!!! Gonna check this out.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

We need to stop posting in the same threads it is decreasing the amount of things I can post without being repetitious.

:tipshat:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Polar sardines come in a brilliantly colored and beautifully printed box, and are a dollar. Something's off here.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sardine article.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/comfort-food-sardines.html

Goon trigger warning: the above article is written by a woman and doesn't appear to cloud itself with masculine declarations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

doctorfrog posted:

Sardine article.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/comfort-food-sardines.html

Goon trigger warning: the above article is written by a woman.

Dads love women, technically.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Dads love women, technically.

check out this heteronormative gently caress

what you gonna do when two gay dine dads roll up on you

edit: AND THEY HUSBAND TO ONE ANOTHER

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

I wonder if they eat the bone

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

MotherFUCKER I just drove past sac on sunday, goddamn I know where I'm making a pit stop this weekend!

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Brunswick® Boneless Herring Fillet Seafood Snacks Golden Smoked trip report:

Barfy salt flavor with mashed fish texture. Touched the product several hours ago- scent persists after several hand washings.

0/5 Dads

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Bobcats posted:

Barfy salt flavor

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Bobcats posted:

Brunswick® Boneless Herring

If you're rockin' Brunswicks, it's deens or nothing. Preferably mustard or hot pepper. I'm sorry that you had to eat that bullshit, barfy salt lick can of rat poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cram me sideways posted:

they do, just like every other Dad.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
KO Kipper snackers are so god drat good. Stop bickering about poo poo tier brands and pick up The King.

Morglock
Nov 17, 2014
Bought these dines on a whim and made the wife try her first sardine tonight. Very good. Not too oily and very tasty just by themselves on crackers, but very good with hot sauce, as well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Those look pretty nice. I got wild planets once and they weren't that nice.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
King Oscar is the standard here fellow dads.

If you're spending less than what one of those would cost, you're buying bad 'dines and are probably gonna have a bad time.

Less than that is deadbeat dad and/or cat food.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pastor Perineum posted:

you're like the zima drinker of dadfoods. seriously there is no reason to eat boneless/skinless unless you intentionally want to feed your body less nutrients. serious question: what are you afraid of? get some KO dines and learn from the mistakes you've been making.

I am a veteran of dines and the last thread. I eat all the bones and skins. I'm also an old dude. I was giving the brand a thumbs up because they were tasty and a good intro to dines for newbies.

Edit:

I know from KO's, son.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 6, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I love little oily fishies

just stocked UP!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Had some crown Prince smoked oysters last night in crackers with a cheddar habanero spread. ++ will Dad again.

Also, saw some KO olive oils that were "cross packed" at like 30 dines a tin or something. These were not the tiny tots. Anyone else see these?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe rare dine spotted?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DiggityDoink posted:

King Oscar is the standard here fellow dads.

If you're spending less than what one of those would cost, you're buying bad 'dines and are probably gonna have a bad time.

Less than that is deadbeat dad and/or cat food.

This is bullshit. There are a lot of other fish in the sea besides KO. There's also nothing wrong with slumming it and having a can of Beachcliff in hot sauce or Family or Ligo.

More to the point, a good dad is a frugal dad. While they aren't going to be getting bumblebee in water, they're certainly not going to be paying 4$ a can for tiny tots, they could get a comparably sized hunk of fresh tuna for that price, hell, that would be like buying soda at a fast food place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I'll pose the question again since it was looked over but now we're talking about affordability, where's the best place online to get tins of quality dine's at affordable prices?