Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

spectralent posted:

Honestly I kind of liked the "people are fundamentally good and scarcities create conflict" thing. I don't think it really matters if it's not true. Like that thing in Terry Pratchett about believing in things because they're important even if they're not verifiable.

On the other hand Pratchett feels that society can only advance under the dictatorship of the enlightened Ubermenchen so I would rather not accept his belief system.

Also DS9 is absolutely Paramount beginning to strip all Roddenberry out of The Franchise, for better and worse. There's a reason many of my trekkie friends hated Rick Berman. It's really good by the end though, go watch it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

spectralent posted:

Granted while I dig the star trek idealism I totally get what you mean about no transformative tech. It's why I tend to write settings for sci fi where people are born in pods and nobody really has a concept of family anymore or something when I'm not just doing shlocky space-pulp.

Another problem with the idealism in Star Trek is that it says, "If we had no scarcity, we'd all agree with each other." That means that there's no room in the Federation for (major) ideological conflict or outright war, even though wars routinely happen in Star Trek. It's just that those wars are fought with other species. It basically means that there's only one right (human) ideology, so once we all have enough food, we'll all know the Right Morality. It's sort of like the nerd social fallacy where if your friend Alice doesn't like your friend Bob, then obviously one of them must actually be a Bad Person.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

But what if the actual experience of consciousness is a series of one-day lives, each ending in absolute death? What if when you go to sleep, you - the person reading this right now - never wakes up? It's some other jerk piloting around your meat tomorrow.

You could go even farther and say that you only exist for an instant or even that time is an illusion and that it just seems like things are happening. I mean, these are questions that have no answer because we very literally don't have the right perspective on the universe, but I enjoy sci-fi that at least acknowledges the existence of the question.

And, going back to my previous post, these are the kinds of things that I could see people - even the "good" people of the Federation - fighting wars over. If you thought that transporters killed you, you'd probably be willing to shoot someone to tried to teleport you.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 6, 2016

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
boom boom boom is saving this thread right now, do you people realize how loving bad things have to be for that to be a true statement?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Avenging Dentist posted:

You could go even farther and say that you only exist for an instant or even that time is an illusion and that it just seems like things are happening. I mean, these are questions that have no answer because we very literally don't have the right perspective on the universe, but I enjoy sci-fi that at least acknowledges the existence of the question.

And, going back to my previous post, these are the kinds of things that I could see people fighting wars over. If you thought that transporters killed you, you'd probably be willing to shoot someone to tried to teleport you.

I was basically just going to say this yeah :v:

Jonny Nox posted:

On the other hand Pratchett feels that society can only advance under the dictatorship of the enlightened Ubermenchen so I would rather not accept his belief system.

A: Do you mean Vetinari? Because he's not actually meant to be a good guy, he's meant to be a least-bad on a thoroughly rotten place.

B: You can find singular quotes inspirational, meaningful, thought provoking, or whatever, without ascribing to literally every belief someone's held ever. I was just saying I like that there's media that says "People are probably basically nice" because god knows pop culture likes "Everyone's a bastard and happiness is a transient illusion".

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

boom boom boom is saving this thread right now, do you people realize how loving bad things have to be for that to be a true statement?

When GW does a new bad thing we'll be ready but until then we gots to sharpen our claws on something.

e: Here's something probably dumb: http://www.develop-online.net/press...orkshop/0215221

GW is really milking the boring part of 40K for all its worth.

e x2: have some lovely motion graphixxxx (my fave is the guy at 0:20 who looks like baby's first repose on the tabletop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgBv6Rxilo

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 6, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlackIronHeart posted:

There's just so many good Gundam dioramas

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Are they any decent Hy-Gogg and Kampfer ones (i.e the two best OYW Zeon MSs besides the Zaku II)?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I find myself strangely disappointed that the vehicles and style of dress in those dioramas don't have an aesthetic corresponding to the robots.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

spectralent posted:

I was basically just going to say this yeah :v:

A: Do you mean Vetinari? Because he's not actually meant to be a good guy, he's meant to be a least-bad on a thoroughly rotten place.

I meant Carrot, actually. And Granny Weatherwax to a lesser extent.

Really the Diamond king too.

and Vimes. loving "I'm the watcher who watches the watcher"

I'm just being bitter though.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

I meant Carrot, actually. And Granny Weatherwax to a lesser extent.

Really the Diamond king too.

and Vimes. loving "I'm the watcher who watches the watcher"

I'm just being bitter though.

Wait till you try to reconcile how Snuff (funny name that) plays out against Pratchett's established Discworld ethics.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You guys must live in an alternative universe than me. The Force Awakens is great. DS9 is bad. B5 is great. GW is bad. Mantic is also kind of bad but also really wants to be good but they are focusing their terribly limited resources on a zombie skirmish game rather than expanding their current lines and fixing their terrible customer service.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Illvillainy posted:

Are they any decent Hy-Gogg and Kampfer ones (i.e the two best OYW Zeon MSs besides the Zaku II)?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Illvillainy posted:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Oh god now it's Discworld chat. I've made a huge mistake.

So can someone explain to me why the "Retributor Armor spray" at GW is $28 when every other paint is $19.50 (or less). The actual pots are more expensive, but not that bad ($5.75 vs $4.25). Like what is the deal? Especially when you consider that GW's metallics aren't even the best you can get out there. There's various Vallejo paints that are highly recommended, and Scale75's metallics look awesome (the comparison pics I've seen are nuts). Granted, Scale75's US shop doesn't have single pots of gold, and you have to buy the set, but it's $34.41 for 8x 17mL paints in a variety of good colors.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pyrolocutus posted:

I find myself strangely disappointed that the vehicles and style of dress in those dioramas don't have an aesthetic corresponding to the robots.

Outside of robots and spaceships, Gundam doesn't really have much sci-fi stuff. People generally dress normally and drive regular cars.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Avenging Dentist posted:

So can someone explain to me why the "Retributor Armor spray" at GW is $28 when every other paint is $19.50 (or less). The actual pots are more expensive, but not that bad ($5.75 vs $4.25).
I'm biting my tongue here, but you did notice there is a size difference between them, right?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm biting my tongue here, but you did notice there is a size difference between them, right?

The store says all the pots are 12mL and the sprays seem to be 400mL, but the Retributor spray doesn't say specifically. Its mass is slightly less than the Mechanicus Standard Grey though (292g vs 296g). To be clear, I'm comparing pots to pots and sprays to sprays, not pots to sprays. Even still, you'd think the Retributor spray would be a couple bucks cheaper so that the price difference were comparable.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I pretty much scrolled through the last 90 replys because they where mostly loving poo poo.

Last weekend I played 2 warmachine games, 1 xwang game and 3 netrunner matches. It was good and cool.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Boom3's Gundam posts have been the most enjoyable thing about this Jar Jar Abrams derail.
Hot drat are those some sexy robot diorama's. Can we get more diorama's and stuff? Maybe to accompany the Star Wars/Trek chat?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Avenging Dentist posted:

The store says all the pots are 12mL and the sprays seem to be 400mL, but the Retributor spray doesn't say specifically. Its mass is slightly less than the Mechanicus Standard Grey though (292g vs 296g). To be clear, I'm comparing pots to pots and sprays to sprays, not pots to sprays. Even still, you'd think the Retributor spray would be a couple bucks cheaper so that the price difference were comparable.
No, I mean a bottle of Vallejo is 17ml, and a bottle of reaper is 15ml, then a GW bottle is 12ml so there's actually a pretty big price difference between them.

And all branded sprays are overpriced, I think Montana Gold is like half (or less) the price of GW stuff. And it is almost assuredly better, though I can't spray for now so I haven't tried it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm making a scratch build x-wang model its very fun

plasticard is in the post to finish it off

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Xlorp posted:

Wait till you try to reconcile how Snuff (funny name that) plays out against Pratchett's established Discworld ethics.

What when the stuffy and hide-bound old-gaurd nobility is overthrown and kept from committing atrocities by the more noble, modern, and righteous Vimes?

Same as Thud!, Night Watch, and Jingo?

Although, I do regret using the term Ubermench, and not Philosopher King.

Also I love the gently caress out of Discworld and Pratchett, sooooo....

not edit: gently caress I forgot about Carpe Jugulum. Original Premise crippled! NO!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

No, I mean a bottle of Vallejo is 17ml, and a bottle of reaper is 15ml, then a GW bottle is 12ml so there's actually a pretty big price difference between them.

Well, yeah. I guess the main thing is that $28 for a spray is mind-boggling, and I have no idea why GW wouldn't try to push that number down a bit so there's not as much sticker shock. But then people who buy GW paints are bad with money so maybe they're on to something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm honestly baffled as to how someone can read Captain Carrot as a ubermensch leading his society as a dictatorship. I mean yes, he's a guy who's basically supposed to become king by divine right, but what actually happens is that he deliberately avoids that fate at every turn in order to continue as a public servant. He's not perfect by any means (I recall that he doesn't believe in contraception) but unless there's an interview or something I'm not aware of I don't see any reason to believe that he's some sort of authoritarian wank material on Pratchett's part, rather than just part of an interesting setting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Moola posted:

I'm making a scratch build x-wang model its very fun

plasticard is in the post to finish it off

Scratchbuilds and conversions are fun, and one of the few things I miss about GW stuff, since they have lots of cool bits that are really easy to kitbash with. One time, I made a servo-arm for my Razorback out of one of those Imperial Guard AT-ST things and it was fun:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well, yeah. I guess the main thing is that $28 for a spray is mind-boggling, and I have no idea why GW wouldn't try to push that number down a bit so there's not as much sticker shock. But then people who buy GW paints are bad with money so maybe they're on to something.
Ok let's say you buy 100 ml of Vallejo paint at that $4.25 number you generated. I have no idea how much it is elsewhere or whatever. It's about $25

You buy 100ml of GW paint, it's $46. did I do the math wrong? Christ, this looks wrong.

So why are you shocked? Yes, people who buy GW paint are incredibly, unflinchingly bad with money. Non-stop.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

So why are you shocked? Yes, people who buy GW paint are incredibly, unflinchingly bad with money. Non-stop.

I don't know, maybe it's because I was away from GW for so long that they never had the opportunity to condition me to accept these prices, but seeing $28 just shocked me. The last GW spray I bought was when it was $10.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

What when the stuffy and hide-bound old-gaurd nobility is overthrown and kept from committing atrocities by the more noble, modern, and righteous Vimes?

Same as Thud!, Night Watch, and Jingo?

Although, I do regret using the term Ubermench, and not Philosopher King.

Also I love the gently caress out of Discworld and Pratchett, sooooo....

not edit: gently caress I forgot about Carpe Jugulum. Original Premise crippled! NO!

Snuff represents a dramatic departure from stated ethical principles and racks up a comical body count of really bad and black-clad evildoers. Everyone who is not them enjoys it tremendously in service of the plot device.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Broken Loose posted:

DS9 is a loving treasure and I'll fight anybody who claims otherwise.

This 1000%

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo is the best star trek

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

boom boom boom posted:

There's just so many good Gundam dioramas

man, please tell me that fade to grey effect is painted on and not edited in

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also if you're gonna post a poo poo ton of good quality modeling of a stupid show could you put the little t in from of the img? Breaking tables all over the place.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saalkin posted:

I pretty much scrolled through the last 90 replys because they where mostly loving poo poo.

Last weekend I played 2 warmachine games, 1 xwang game and 3 netrunner matches. It was good and cool.

I introduced a friend to Pixel Tactics and Battlecon!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

willus posted:

If it's giant robots it's always the paint, not photo manipulation.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

willus posted:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Moon posted:

Also if you're gonna post a poo poo ton of good quality modeling of a stupid show could you put the little t in from of the img? Breaking tables all over the place.

Since you called Gundam stupid, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

:henget:

• Locked thread