Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, there's apparently a cave or cavern embedded in the south wall of Sylvalum, how the hell do I get into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, what's a good place to pick up level 50 skell items? I might be a little stronger than the game wants me to be right now, given I just did chapter 8 with a level 50 skell, and want to pimp it out, which is difficult given I nearly bankrupted myself getting it. I've been using the Prone base in North Sylvanum, but maybe Caulderos is better for that?

It did lead to a few amusing bits though, sulking in vehicle form through most of the big battle waiting for enemy respawns, and nearly beating Jet Set Cenobite before my super missiles landed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

So, what's a good place to pick up level 50 skell items? I might be a little stronger than the game wants me to be right now, given I just did chapter 8 with a level 50 skell, and want to pimp it out, which is difficult given I nearly bankrupted myself getting it. I've been using the Prone base in North Sylvanum, but maybe Caulderos is better for that?

It did lead to a few amusing bits though, sulking in vehicle form through most of the big battle waiting for enemy respawns, and nearly beating Jet Set Cenobite before my super missiles landed.

Bohr Basin (probably where you already were in Sylvalum), grind the robots outside the base. The drop G-Busters and Phoenixes.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

HalfHazard posted:

If I'm thinking of the right one, try going up. Waaaaay up. The little square doesn't show on the mini-map if you're far above or below it

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Some of the markers don't appear if you aren't on the same elevation as the treasure sometimes, I think

All right, I thought I was able to get pretty high there before but like I said I don't remember that area perfectly so I'll try going higher. The weird thing is that even if you're not on the right elevation, the icon will still show up on the mini-map faintly, but I swear it's just not showing me anything. I should really get around to just getting the drat flight thing already.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Vanrushal posted:

All right, I thought I was able to get pretty high there before but like I said I don't remember that area perfectly so I'll try going higher. The weird thing is that even if you're not on the right elevation, the icon will still show up on the mini-map faintly, but I swear it's just not showing me anything. I should really get around to just getting the drat flight thing already.

Yeah it's not always consistent, sometimes stuff in caves shows outside & sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it gives you faint markers, sometimes it doesn't

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, there's apparently a cave or cavern embedded in the south wall of Sylvalum, how the hell do I get into it?

In the south east? The entrance is located on the outer side of the mountains, so you have to be able to fly.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Was farming robots and I got an Intergalatic G2-Buster.

I'll count that.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bohr Basin (probably where you already were in Sylvalum), grind the robots outside the base. The drop G-Busters and Phoenixes.

Managed to get an Intergalactic Phoenix and both regular and G2 G-Busters. I now understand why the Phoenix is so sought, Holy Crap.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What's the most anime skell super weapon, excluding the drill spear thing? I only care to grind out one of those things and I wanna make sure it's sufficiently dumb and flashy for this silly robot game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

What's the most anime skell super weapon, excluding the drill spear thing? I only care to grind out one of those things and I wanna make sure it's sufficiently dumb and flashy for this silly robot game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajETylWuMxk

Decide for yourself!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a cartoon duck posted:

If you do Lin's affinity missions, the last one gives you a free Level 30 Hexad Partican.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I didn't get a chance to start playing this till the Christmas period, about 25 hours in now at L30 and mostly doing sidequests until I proceed with mission 5, but I'm getting ready to move forward since the collectathonis getting tedious.

Some questions that I'm afraid won't have a happy answer;

Any way to get T-Ray, Crossium thingies or Sacalaca Pearls without teleporting, grab, teleporting again? I only have one of each and feel that has already take me forever. The reward tickets don't have these, is there any way to trade for them or something?

What is the deal with Hephaestus the Absconder? He completely wrecks me whatever I try.
I run a Taunt/self buff guy, with Blaze focused Lin, all-round Elma and while I like the scientist for the extra topple I currently have Irina with me.
Is there any alternative to leveling more or investing in electric resist for this one mission? Some strategy I'm missing?

I have tons of probes, but only changed one to mining for a resource I needed in Lin's Affinity Quest and some to storage because I was getting too much miranium every tick and like throwing it at arms dealers. Should I start mining resources like crazy for something later on or is it just a few of them you need for quests?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You should be mining as much as you can, as some sidequests want them. Not to mention crafting Augments and new gear.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
never use basic probes imo

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm out of storage probes, I have more mining probes than I know what to do with, and I'm mining more miranium than I can actually hold. Where do I get more storage probes? Are they just quest rewards?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm out of storage probes, I have more mining probes than I know what to do with, and I'm mining more miranium than I can actually hold. Where do I get more storage probes? Are they just quest rewards?

For the most part. I think one or two might be field treasures, but don't hold your breath on that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dscruffy1 posted:

You get probes from quest rewards and the occasional treasure box (ie; White Whale debris, alien wreckage, etc). To get the most out of your storage probes, group them together and slap a Booster or Duplicator Probe adjacent to them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You get probes from quest rewards and the occasional treasure box (ie; White Whale debris, alien wreckage, etc). To get the most out of your storage probes, group them together and slap a Booster or Duplicator Probe adjacent to them.

Do I want to boost the chain directly, duplicate the booster, or boost the duplicator? Or have the duplicator on one end of the chain and the booster on the other end?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

greatn posted:

Do I want to boost the chain directly, duplicate the booster, or boost the duplicator? Or have the duplicator on one end of the chain and the booster on the other end?
There aren't enough storage probes in existence to justify a chain. Stick the duplicator on a 4 way intersection, surround it with 3 storage probes and a booster. This is the recipe for both research probes and storage probes so depending what you need at the time and how many duplicators you've found so far you need to switch back and forth. Especially if you need to check off a profit mission and have somehow avoided picking up every single chest with a research probe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How many storage probes are there? I've got three.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

greatn posted:

How many storage probes are there? I've got three.
4 from story quests, 3 from Kirsty, 2 in chests, 1 for a collectapedia region completion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just incidentally, regarding Research Probes, the amount of income you want to optimize towards by endgame is 130,000 credits per tick. That'll cover a pair of sidequests to make a greedy rear end in a top hat lose his poo poo at you for making more money.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

BioTech posted:

What is the deal with Hephaestus the Absconder? He completely wrecks me whatever I try.
I run a Taunt/self buff guy, with Blaze focused Lin, all-round Elma and while I like the scientist for the extra topple I currently have Irina with me.
Is there any alternative to leveling more or investing in electric resist for this one mission? Some strategy I'm missing?

do you not have skells? you should probably have skells.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Inflammatory posted:

do you not have skells? you should probably have skells.

I still got my party wrecked with babby's first skell but that's also because I launched a flash grenade and pissed off everything in range. Perhaps they all need skells.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dscruffy1 posted:

I still got my party wrecked with babby's first skell but that's also because I launched a flash grenade and pissed off everything in range. Perhaps they all need skells.

Babbys first skell is pathetically weak, and should be dumped asap for a level 30 fuckotron amdusias

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

BioTech posted:

Hephaestus is one of the tyrants with abilities much higher than his level would indicate, note that the game tells you that some Tyrants will be like this.

That enemy model though should typically be fought with Skells as every Piscine Tyrant I can think of has outperformed their level and wrecked me before at some point in the game. I'd recommend coming back later on with at least the Amudusias 30.

I spent last night farming filiavents for mollusk mucus for like an hour but I still need like 192 more for my last evasion drive augments orz. Farming is more efficient than tickets but man it's super boring to just like agni gatling, exit skell, and return

Also note for people farming in Bohr Basin that the Pheonix and G-Buster that drop there can be a 450GG Pheonix variant or a 150 G-Buster variant. Those are the super duper good ones you wanna look for since the 450 Pheonix has 9k as opposed to the 7.2k of the 440 and the 150 G-Buster does 42k as opposed to the 35k of the 140.

If anyone is having trouble farming them or getting them then I can try to Treasure Deal one to you.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
72 hours in and I finally completed Chapter 9 and get to try flying. It's transcendant. :allears:

This is also the longest I've played a game while not even knowing if I really like it or not. Lots of little things annoy me and I honestly wish they'd just made Xenosaga 4 as that ended on a pretty big sequel hook. This is a total mess, but a beautiful mess.

How is the online? Is it 'good'? Is it 'functional'?

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dishwasher posted:

72 hours in and I finally completed Chapter 9 and get to try flying. It's transcendant. :allears:

This is also the longest I've played a game while not even knowing if I really like it or not. Lots of little things annoy me and I honestly wish they'd just made Xenosaga 4 as that ended on a pretty big sequel hook. This is a total mess, but a beautiful mess.

Its 5 minute bouts of co-op combat, and if there's anything I'm close to comfortable calling garbage in this game, its the combat, so it didn't hold any hooks for me.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The story is pretty garbage, too

Someone just tell me what to do to best break ground combat over my knee. I've loaded myself up on debuff (Mastermind) and back-attack (through Full Metal Janguar) arts, just staying in Mastermind until I get the secondary cooldown skill before I switch to a tankier class.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Those are all incredibly disappointing for something the game calls super weapons.

Dishwasher posted:

Practically non-existent. It's pretty much 99% those squad tasks you see pop up and sometimes getting reward tickets because someone else beat some monsters. Doing squad tasks actually unlocks squad missions on that online computer in the barracks that you can do with other players, except the vast majority doesn't bother with them and those that do just do it with their offline team. Not that there is much reason to do squad missions with other people in the first place since they're really basic, really boring where you just defeat some enemies right in front of you.

If there's any reason to do squad missions it's that they give extra reward tickets that you can use to skip those monster-part-collection missions, but even then it's kinda pointless because by the point you would care to farm reward tickets you're probably also at the point you can do so by breaking the first global nemesis' appendages for 20-30 tickets a piece, or even the second one for 80-90 tickets a piece. Technically you could farm nemeses online with other players but everyone does these offline/solo as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Am I doing something wrong or is every combat supposed to be an awful slog? I'm in chapter 5 around level 17/18 and even things that ping 16 take forever to put down.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What class are you? Some classes are better suited to damage dealing than others. Also, what's your general team make up?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Have you been leveling your arts/skills?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I haven't done the later quests yet but during the quest where I had to find Slovity's team I didn't side with her & told her that talking with the Tree Clan guy is more important (so I'll go find her team instead). They seemed to be getting along by the time I got back so maybe that's it?

Saving her men was more important I figured, because the tree clan was being a spoiled loving brat.

I like that these quests don't have clear cut resolutions though, it's refreshing (though frustrating there isn't more than one save file or quicksaves so I can savescum best results.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Not a Children posted:

The story is pretty garbage, too

Someone just tell me what to do to best break ground combat over my knee. I've loaded myself up on debuff (Mastermind) and back-attack (through Full Metal Janguar) arts, just staying in Mastermind until I get the secondary cooldown skill before I switch to a tankier class.

Dual Guns for the Decoy skill, along with either lightsabers or longswords depending on how much effort you feel like putting into it. Oh, and an Arts: TP aug for easier infinite Overdrive chaining. Anything past that just makes things go faster.

Edit: I should note that this is higher-end stuff; past a point your party members aren't good for much outside of being loaded up with C&C's line of treasure hunting gear, side and back arts aren't much use when you're the only one still standing after the first few seconds.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 6, 2016

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So how do you defeat the regular telethia? I shot it down from the sky but the invincibility doesn't seem to go away when it lands.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how do you defeat the regular telethia? I shot it down from the sky but the invincibility doesn't seem to go away when it lands.

It does, it just takes a while. Similar to the Simius Tyrant near the East Gate who goes invuln forever if you don't kill him immediately. Just stall out and don't use any skills till his blue buff drops since that's his invincibility.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently proest team is X + HB + Elma + Irina

Infinite tp and heals and hb never dies? Neat.

Now if only loot pinata gods would give me a good receeding rust.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So I just discovered the wonders of Mindjack and Servant Sacrifice. Combined with the Ramjet rifle (lots o TP) it makes for some easy level 20 fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ChaosArgate posted:

What class are you? Some classes are better suited to damage dealing than others. Also, what's your general team make up?

I'm using the samurai gunner right now. My party is Elma and Lin with a fourth being whoever I can find to take along for a mission. I have been raising skill levels.

Edit: turns out I'd you die right as a quest reward screen pops up the game locks up. Time to refind 5 crush rings :suicide:

Len fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread