Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

This seems like a game I would pull my loving hair out trying to legitimately finish. It took me long enough to beat the Portal and Deponia games. My face would be buried in a walkthrough half the time defeating the point of everything.

The later puzzles of this game can be legitimately difficult, especially the star puzzles. It's way harder than Portal.

Looking forward to see how he clears the grey world of the DLC, that place took me ages to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Golden Goose posted:

How can he slap

slap well, cozy man

e: emptyquote this within 5 minutes or you will never be cozy again

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

This seems like a game I would pull my loving hair out trying to legitimately finish. It took me long enough to beat the Portal and Deponia games. My face would be buried in a walkthrough half the time defeating the point of everything.

Without the stars it's about on par with Portal. Meaning: get to the Credits without the ultra bonus stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is legit crazy

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
A robot jumps out of a 20 story building clutching a piece of roadwork equipment.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

I think his mouse accuracy (snap turns etc) is the most impressive thing to me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Schurik posted:

Without the stars it's about on par with Portal.

Nah, the red puzzles are way harder than most of the puzzles in Portal. I thought that was how I was gonna present it to friends as well, before I thought about it.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

minchar posted:

I think his mouse accuracy (snap turns etc) is the most impressive thing to me.

I think he mentioned earlier that he prefers this FOV because he played a shitload of Quake and you can kinda tell.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
He's right, dumb dumb mine's solution is a 'guide drat it' moment if I ever saw one. :colbert:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That's why comfy-guy is here. He's waiting for his pancakes.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

drunken officeparty posted:

Half of it is that even if they were doing it themselves (correctly), it's still riding on stuff like "when the crosshair appears" which is pretty inaccurate. Do they not have programs that can hook into the game and do it automatically at precise times.

Nope. Each game would require its own modification to such a program, and even that wouldn't work for the console games. As far as I'm aware the precise times are calculated based on the recorded video.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Aww, he's doing the Seraph ending. No awesome tower climb then I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Aww, he's doing the Seraph ending. No awesome tower climb then I guess.

Lame!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think he is going to do the Gehenna DLC though

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

uh

Done forty minutes early. So now what?

Also, apparently the protagonist a crash test dummy.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Wow his estimate was crazy conservative

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lmao that epitath

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Oh look somebody remade the old windows maze screensaver for PS2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the Gehenna DLC is part of the overall estimate

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Still have DLC incentive to do, which probably explains the estimate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well at least for anyone who hadn't played this game - you didn't get to see the absolute best part of the game i.e. the good ending path at the top of the tower.

So you should still play it!!!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Forty minutes under? That wasn't counting any extra stuff?

Guess it was a good run. :v:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, the red puzzles are way harder than most of the puzzles in Portal. I thought that was how I was gonna present it to friends as well, before I thought about it.

You think so? I'm a loving imbecile and upper time took me for any puzzle (excluding stars, as I said) was maybe 15 minutes, apart from one where I bashed my head against it for an hour before I realized I was missing something obvious.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

senrath posted:

Nope. Each game would require its own modification to such a program.

You're not wrong, but these do actually exist for several games anyway.

Source games tend to have them, as does Deus Ex: HR and I think Mirror's Edge?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I think this is the surprise run of this AGDQ so far. I don't know if anyone suspected that an hour and a half run of a physics puzzle game would be this good.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ramos posted:

uh

Done forty minutes early. So now what?

Also, apparently the protagonist a crash test dummy.

Once, there was this robot who

Wouldn't say in bounds of the puzzles he was chained to

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

drunken officeparty posted:

Half of it is that even if they were doing it themselves (correctly), it's still riding on stuff like "when the crosshair appears" which is pretty inaccurate. Do they not have programs that can hook into the game and do it automatically at precise times.

LiveSplit has autosplit support, but the way it works is by constantly reading the game state from the RAM, so obviously it will only work for PC and emulated games and even then for only those that the community has figured out the relevant memory addresses and set up the splits for

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
The puzzles got pretty tough during the second zone for me. Gave me headaches a lot, too. Which was probably motion sickness, looking back.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Forty minutes under? That wasn't counting any extra stuff?

Guess it was a good run. :v:
Given that the WR for that category was something like 53m 27s, I'd say it was a good run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Schurik posted:

You think so? I'm a loving imbecile and upper time took me for any puzzle (excluding stars, as I said) was maybe 15 minutes, apart from one where I bashed my head against it for an hour before I realized I was missing something obvious.

Have you played Portal recently? Once you understand the portal mechanics you can usually see the solution almost immediately when you enter the rooms, there's tons of visual clues if you know what to look for.
I'm not saying this game is impossibly difficult, but it is definitely a step above Portal.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

this game looks way more fun to play than Portal on account of I don't have to listen to a SHODAN knock-off

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he calls people friend

:3:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Aces High posted:

this game looks way more fun to play than Portal on account of I don't have to listen to a SHODAN knock-off

Instead it has literally God proselytizing at you.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

symbolic posted:

I think this is the surprise run of this AGDQ so far. I don't know if anyone suspected that an hour and a half run of a physics puzzle game would be this good.

Midnight block runs are always the most interesting ones. Like that Halo run a year or two ago that by all means should have been placed instead of the touhou block.

I'm really sad this wasn't on particularly discounted during the steam sale: this run has won me over for getting this game whenever.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I will take pseudo-philosophy over the :rolleyes: humour from Portal

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well that was precise

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hero Cube!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
"Not going to have to turn on cheats, unlike our Half-Life and Portal friends."

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Schurik posted:

Sure none of the sigil puzzles are that hard, but all of portal's puzzles were essentially a matter of figuring out what mechanic they were playing with when they designed it and using it in the most obvious way. Even in the sigil puzzles in Talos I think I'm right in saying there are red herring items given to you entirely to gently caress with you.

• Locked thread