Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I don't think mod-packs are a thing for skyrim unfortunately. Mod-packs work for games like minecraft, which are much simpler. Skyrim is a delicate house of cards where one tiny error can lock up your computer. Also there are TONS of mods out there and very many options to choose from, which means if mod-packs actually did exist for skyrim they would also probably have a lot of redundant and/or unwanted mods along with them. Everyone has their tastes. This isn't even mentioning mods that go out of date, and thus mod-packs getting old.

All that being said, however, modding skyrim yourself isn't all that difficult once you get yourself going and figuring stuff out. Get mod organizer, download all the mods you're going to use, get wrye-bash, learn how to click the sort button on mod organizer, figure out reproccer or what to do with it (I don't know what it does but the guide I looked at said to make bashed patch before activating the reproccer), learn how to make bashed patches and make a bashed patch and start a new game figure out what you did wrong. Eventually you'll get to play in a few days. There's some really good youtube guides though, look up skyrim S.T.E.P. guides.

TLDR; If you want to play skyrim with a bunch of mods there is no getting around the hours and tears and blood and effort it takes to modding it. Also, everyone has different computers and hardware which means mod-packs might not work for everyone.

Thanks, guess I'll just stick with Journey, it's been really immersive and fun, a huge step ahead of playing Skyrim back when it released.

My only regret is that it doesn't include all of trainwiz's quests. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'd like to finally play Oblivion but I don't know which version to buy. There's a GOTY and GOTY Deluxe version. GOTY comes with all the expansions and the deluxe looks like it comes with some items and player houses in addition to the expansions. If I want to play Oblivion modded and eventually the Morrowind mod, which version should I buy?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wildtortilla posted:

I'd like to finally play Oblivion but I don't know which version to buy. There's a GOTY and GOTY Deluxe version. GOTY comes with all the expansions and the deluxe looks like it comes with some items and player houses in addition to the expansions. If I want to play Oblivion modded and eventually the Morrowind mod, which version should I buy?

See this.

Oblivion GOTY contains Shivering Isle and Knights of the Nine. Oblivion GOTY Deluxe contains all DLCs. I'd recommend getting the deluxe while you're at it, the themed houses are swanky and the dungeon for Mehrunes' Razor is okay.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Then after you played a bit of Oblivion you can go straight into http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge

Not as goofy as Obliv but a 100 times more interesting and exciting

E: they are also making a TC for Skyrims :O
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-the-biggest-skyrim-mod-ever/

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 2, 2016

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It's been long enough and my MO lists have been clogged up enough that it seems about time to clean house and start over, especially with this new way of handling the unofficial patches. Last time I used STEP and then threw SPERG on top of that to start with and then gradually hosed with it until the load order was a bloated mess barely holding together.

The big question I have is, now that USKP has been replaced with USLEEP, is it still possible to Shut Up Mirmulnir with the mod from the OP?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a quick and easy way to figure out why your poo poo is crashing when exiting a dungeon? I'm followed all the instructions for installing mods listed in that reddit skyrim modding instruction manual that was posted some ways back and things were going great, now I crash when I exit a cave and it sucks.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

The big question I have is, now that USKP has been replaced with USLEEP, is it still possible to Shut Up Mirmulnir with the mod from the OP?
Yes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Reason posted:

is there a quick and easy way to figure out why your poo poo is crashing when exiting a dungeon? I'm followed all the instructions for installing mods listed in that reddit skyrim modding instruction manual that was posted some ways back and things were going great, now I crash when I exit a cave and it sucks.

are you running anything really pervasive and "destabilizing" that you can turn on or off?

one time I started dying to desktop whenever I left the quicksilver mine in Dawnstar. turning off Dynamic Things (the mod that crawls across the landscape and transforms wood piles, ambient crates and such things into interactable objects) just for the duration of the "shock" of loading up everything inside and around a town was enough

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm having a CTD when I go to collect the moths in the Dawnguard stuff and I'm trying to remember where the error log exists or even if an error log exists.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm having a CTD when I go to collect the moths in the Dawnguard stuff and I'm trying to remember where the error log exists or even if an error log exists.
There's no error log for the Skyrim executable.
And the papyrus log isn't useful for determining the cause of a CTD. It only logs debug stuff related to the scripts that are running in your game and in the unlikely event that a script is the direct cause of a CTD, the game will likely have crashed before logging things.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had a fun bug the other night using a mod that let you keep spell books instead of them being destroyed on use (it just gives you a new one); it only happened when I picked up the book for a ward spell, but it would make my encumbrance climb infinitely which was kind of a large problem - I never got around to checking the inventory to make sure because the other thing it was doing was making my game really unstable and crash when it happened, and I also figured out the cause pretty quickly and removed it, but I assume some conflict was causing it to keep giving me new copies of that book whenever I picked up that particular one.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ETAC is nice and the cities look great.

...Except Dawnstar is a janky mess for me. :shepface:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

What are peoples' take on Falskaar? Some people seem to praise it as though it were mana from heaven and others seem to go "ehhhh". If I'm going to invest 20+ hours on something, IMO it better be fun enough to offset the skyrim fatigue that sets in after 60 hours in the main game.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just had a simultaneous vampire attack and dragon attack on a pitch-black cloudy, snowing night that segued into a battle between an Imperial patrol (who helped me with the vampires and dragon) and a passing Stormcloak patrol.

Then my game crashed :v:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Gyre posted:

What are peoples' take on Falskaar? Some people seem to praise it as though it were mana from heaven and others seem to go "ehhhh". If I'm going to invest 20+ hours on something, IMO it better be fun enough to offset the skyrim fatigue that sets in after 60 hours in the main game.

Pretty fun, but bring a horse.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gyre posted:

I found it extremely boring compared to other large mods, like Wyrmstooth. You won't do anything in Falskaar you haven't done in vanilla Skyrim.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've just started having issues with my weapon speed going to insano values for some reason. I've done a lot of research so far but I still don't understand what's going on.

I'm running both better vampires and skyRe. Better vampires has a little checkmark that has to be checked if I have other mods that also change weapon speed like skyRe (and it's already checked). I'm pretty sure I don't have any other mods that changes weapon speed.

It seems to only sometimes happen when I switch weapons, and it only sometimes gets my dual wielding daggers wrong. I've taken the time using "player.getav weaponspeedmult" and these are my results:

No weapons: 1.10
Bow: 1.10
one dagger: 1.10
2 daggers: 1.35 or 2.45

I should note that I'm using the perk that increases my dual wield attack speed, which is why it goes from 1.10 to 1.35. When it's at 2.45 the weapon speed is quite ridiculous. From looking at the numbers it seems that 1.35 is being added to 1.10 when this shouldn't be happening. I'm also not sure why my weapon speed is defaulted to 1.10, I'm guessing because of vampirism or whatever.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I've just started having issues with my weapon speed going to insano values for some reason. I've done a lot of research so far but I still don't understand what's going on.

I'm running both better vampires and skyRe. Better vampires has a little checkmark that has to be checked if I have other mods that also change weapon speed like skyRe (and it's already checked). I'm pretty sure I don't have any other mods that changes weapon speed.

It seems to only sometimes happen when I switch weapons, and it only sometimes gets my dual wielding daggers wrong. I've taken the time using "player.getav weaponspeedmult" and these are my results:

No weapons: 1.10
Bow: 1.10
one dagger: 1.10
2 daggers: 1.35 or 2.45

I should note that I'm using the perk that increases my dual wield attack speed, which is why it goes from 1.10 to 1.35. When it's at 2.45 the weapon speed is quite ridiculous. From looking at the numbers it seems that 1.35 is being added to 1.10 when this shouldn't be happening. I'm also not sure why my weapon speed is defaulted to 1.10, I'm guessing because of vampirism or whatever.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I don't know about those specific mods but the way weapon speed is calculated in the game engine is hosed up and obviously dumb and I have no idea how it wasn't caught in QA as just a general design problem since it seems like it's easier to do things in the way that would not result in this. What's happening is basically what you've described at the end: that two or more mods are all modifying weapon speed and it's making the speed much higher than it ought to be as a result of Skyrim's wonky calculation of these values.

They way you'd expect it to work is that when the game wants to calculate weapon speed, it works on a formula like this: Actual Speed = Base Speed * Special Multiplier. The "Special Multiplier" would be calculated as something like MAX(0.1, 1 + (however many situational modifiers there are)). So if you have a half-speed debuff, the situational modifier would be -0.5, if you have a +50% speed buff, it would be 0.5, if you have both they effectively cancel out. Alternately, you could decide that only one modifier can apply, say either the most recently added one or the highest one or something, which would result in different (and imo worse) game mechanics but would also avoid what you're describing.

But that's not how it works. How it works is that the engine seems to expect that only one modifier should apply at any given time, but it actually tries to accommodate the possibility of multiple modifiers. By default, the multiplier's value is 0 and is not used unless it is greater than 0. It only applies, in other words, if there is a situational buff or debuff to weapon speed. In that case, the multiplier is applied and is equal to the sum of the situational modifiers, which are always positive numbers. This works fine if you only have one modifier. If you want to apply the half-speed debuff above, the multiplier is 0.5. If you want a +50% speed buff, the multiplier to add would be 1.5. But if you have both, they are added together, making the multiplier 2, which is wildly undesired behavior. And if you have two +50% buffs, the final speed multiplier will be 3 (1.5 + 1.5)!

The only way to resolve this is for modders to script checks on what the current weapon speed is and apply their mod's buffs or debuffs accordingly. But all mods that have something changing weapon speed have to do this for it to be foolproof. Alternately, you can try to do what SPERG does and always check whether the weapon speed mod is much higher than its "expected" value but even then it's hard for one mod to always know what the expected result of many different modifiers is. Other than that you're poo poo out of luck. I don't know of any general fix and I think it would have been added to the unofficial patches by now if it were possible so it must be deep in the engine.

ETA: Just as a general coding/modding suggestion for anyone who's thinking about how to account for this in their mods, the basic algorithm would work out like the following, and runs when the game calculates weapon speed or a hit. It's been too long since I've used Papyrus for me to give actual code. Although actually, it's possible in some circumstances to effectively do this with no scripting using conditions in the CK.

My modifier should be a positive number if it's a buff or a negative number if it's a debuff.

Is the current weapons speed multiplier (WSM) = 0?
If so, there is no buff or debuff, apply mine accordingly.
If not, there is a buff or debuff from elsewhere, apply mine accordingly.

To apply my modifier when there is no current modifier to WSM:
If a debuff, add its absolute value.
If a buff, add 1+(my modifier)

To apply my modifier with another:
Add my modifier to the current WSM.
If the resulting final WSM is less than some reasonable minimum value (say, 0.1 for a -90% debuff), set it to that reasonable minimum.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 5, 2016

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Anyone know what might cause the sky to flicker when using an ENB? I'm using RealVision and installed it correctly, to the best of my knowledge. Everything seems to work fine, but the sky flickers near constantly. I did a bit of googling but didn't find anything definitive on the topic. I've made sure to turn off Antialiasing, Anisotropic Filtering, and FXAA in my MO's ini file.

Here's a copy of my load order, if that tells you anything. http://pastebin.com/5dnv5UwW

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Gyre posted:

I say avoid it. There's a lot to do, but most of it isn't very interesting, and the author loves to lock you out of your controls and force you into long dialogue scenes between the NPCs. Plus the built-in boat system for sailing back to Skyrim causes the worst script lag. I couldn't finish the mod and had to reload a save from before I started it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chaltab posted:

the author loves to lock you out of your controls

Okay, yes, avoid.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
So, the author of skyBirds finally responded to people asking for a solution to the mod's save bloating problem.

He closed the comment section of the mod. :nexus:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Well 2 years ago I broke my Skyrim game by installing some animations that conflicted or something but long story short uninstalling the game completely didn't fix every NPC in the game having literally no animations.

Eventually I formatted and reinstalled Skyrim and just now felt a hankering for it and it's been long enough I can't really remember losing my 30 hour character.

I just have to say holy poo poo SPERG makes this game so much better. I mean I have 100+ mods with armour and weapons but man skill trees are genuinely fun to level up now with skills affected gameplay in a lot of different ways. Highly enjoying my relentless fine-Norse-axe speed swinging Viking who gives no shits beyond running into combat full speed and hacking at everything.

That said I am looking to replace some animations again and am weirded out by making GBS threads the bed again. Can someone explain to me, in terms you would use with a small child, what I should be installing for skeletons for say realistic rag dolls and force and how to get these skeletons to work or whatever? LOOT was saying skeleton XP32 or something. All I don't really get skeletons either and why they are needed.

I have no idea what I am doing but I want better animations and def really broke my game previously. Help.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

doctor 7 posted:

Well 2 years ago I broke my Skyrim game by installing some animations that conflicted or something but long story short uninstalling the game completely didn't fix every NPC in the game having literally no animations.

Eventually I formatted and reinstalled Skyrim and just now felt a hankering for it and it's been long enough I can't really remember losing my 30 hour character.

I just have to say holy poo poo SPERG makes this game so much better. I mean I have 100+ mods with armour and weapons but man skill trees are genuinely fun to level up now with skills affected gameplay in a lot of different ways. Highly enjoying my relentless fine-Norse-axe speed swinging Viking who gives no shits beyond running into combat full speed and hacking at everything.

That said I am looking to replace some animations again and am weirded out by making GBS threads the bed again. Can someone explain to me, in terms you would use with a small child, what I should be installing for skeletons for say realistic rag dolls and force and how to get these skeletons to work or whatever? LOOT was saying skeleton XP32 or something. All I don't really get skeletons either and why they are needed.

I have no idea what I am doing but I want better animations and def really broke my game previously. Help.

If all you're using is Realistic Ragdolls and Force and nothing else that replaces the skeleton.nif file (aka the animation skeleton), you don't need anything else for it.

XP32 uses Realistic Ragdolls and Force but also has other animation stuff that adds to it.

FNIS combines animations from different mods and lets you mix and match which to use, along with skeleton-specific options (like changing where equipped weapons show up on the XP32 skeleton).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

doctor 7 posted:

Are you using mod organizer? It's easy to unfuck things like graphics and animations.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I'm having trouble getting my game stable enough to run for more than a few minutes. I have a feeling my mod order is probably incredibly hosed up, but I can't figure out what would be causing things to go wrong.

Here's my current mod order: http://www.modwat.ch/u/Syndlig

Right now I'm testing by starting out in Dragon Bridge and trying to leave, and it CTDs immediately after loading the town. If I disable Expanded Towns and Cities I don't CTD right away, but crash a few minutes later. Did I miss some compatibility patches for ETaC/other mods somewhere?

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 6, 2016

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Roadie posted:

If all you're using is Realistic Ragdolls and Force and nothing else that replaces the skeleton.nif file (aka the animation skeleton), you don't need anything else for it.

XP32 uses Realistic Ragdolls and Force but also has other animation stuff that adds to it.

FNIS combines animations from different mods and lets you mix and match which to use, along with skeleton-specific options (like changing where equipped weapons show up on the XP32 skeleton).

Ah OK so just keep to Realistic Ragdolls and I don't need to gently caress with any skeleton poo poo. Cool beans!

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 6, 2016

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Any opinions on MorrowLoot Ultimate? It looks interesting, though I worry about the effects on low levels and level speed when paired with alt start mods. Low levels can already be a real pain in the dick, and I usually have to crank down the difficulty to not just chain-die.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Just picked up Skyrim from Steam over the winter sale and thought "well it would be nice if I could have more than one follower". An hour later: :psyduck:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

graynull posted:

Any opinions on MorrowLoot Ultimate? It looks interesting, though I worry about the effects on low levels and level speed when paired with alt start mods. Low levels can already be a real pain in the dick, and I usually have to crank down the difficulty to not just chain-die.

It's really good

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I get this error when using FNIS:

quote:

ERROR(53): Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\actors\character\behaviors\0_master.hkx'.

It's my first time getting it, any ideas?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Subyng posted:

Just picked up Skyrim from Steam over the winter sale and thought "well it would be nice if I could have more than one follower". An hour later: :psyduck:

That means it's working.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah I had a look at Ordinator, which lots of people in comments like to claim is better than SPERG, and I just have to disagree. Ordinator is full of stacking debuffs and buffs which weren't fun in MMOs 10 years ago and definitely aren't fun now. Especially in a game where you should be looking at the world and the HUD should be getting the gently caress out of the way. It is also full of two tiered perks that are tiered for no good reason at all, they're just point dumps. SPERG, even though it's 3 years older, feels more modern since it recognises perks are interesting as a way to diversify and specialise your character and they're not interesting when you have to take them just to do basic poo poo. SPERG still no.1.

quote:

Any opinions on MorrowLoot Ultimate?

I'm really enjoying Morrowloot Ultimate + Deadly Combat + Revenge of the Enemies since you don't have to artificially hold yourself back from becoming overpowered. They make the combat more enjoyable without getting tedious and the extra difficulty means you really appreciate the MLU upgrades when they come. Bosses will murder you though and I don't know an elegant way around it (not an MLU problem though, that's the other two).

One thing to watch out for is that if you don't change combat at all, you'll be playing vanilla style two sacks of HP hitting each other until one dies and you might really miss the ability to spam health potions with MLU.

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 7, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Did you run that update program?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

doctor 7 posted:

Can someone explain to me, in terms you would use with a small child, what I should be installing for skeletons for say realistic rag dolls and force and how to get these skeletons to work or whatever? LOOT was saying skeleton XP32 or something. All I don't really get skeletons either and why they are needed.

I'm not going to try to explain everything you brought up, and I'm not the world's leading expert anyway, but I can tell you this about skeletons:

The skeleton is what moves. It's the "real" in-game object that animations, physics, etc actually affect. Character models, armors, weapons etc. don't really have a physical presence in the game so much as they're like holograms made to follow the movements of the skeleton and present the illusion that they physically exist. An arm is mapped onto arm "bones" so it will move like an arm. Bad "bone weighting" can cause visual glitches like clipping and stretching.

XP32 Maximum Skeleton and other similar custom skeletons are much, much more complex than the vanilla skeleton, giving you more "bones" and thus more options. A custom skeleton can let you change the position of a sheathed weapon... or install dragon wings, bouncing boobs, and a big floppy dong for your character. Custom skeletons also tend to have artfully adjusted scaling, weighting, and collision properties so that the game's animations will work better. Sometimes custom skeletons are made with different proportions, which will change the proportions of characters. If you enlarge the head bone on the skeleton, everybody will have big heads! But mostly it just makes for a good base for any animation-related mod to build on.

A custom skeleton isn't required for animation mods, as long as the animations only refer to bones that exist in the vanilla skeleton. But a lot of animation mods, armor mods, and others are made to take advantage of extra bones that only exist in a custom skeleton. If you have any kind of mod in your game that tries to reference a certain "bone" and it doesn't actually exist in your installed skeleton, your game will crash to desktop.

XP32 is the gold standard because it has been consistently updated to include every upgrade and custom bone anybody could think of, and it would be almost impossible to find a mod that isn't compatible with it. There's also no good reason not to use it, as it's just one relatively small mesh file, and doesn't add a plugin to your load order. It's something you can install and forget, and never have to worry about your skeleton again. Just be sure never to let some other mod with a skeleton included (Realistic Ragdolls and Force, certain body mods) overwrite it.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This might not help, but make sure you've run the skyrim launcher once before using patcher type stuff. Same thing if you're running through mod organizer... run the regular skyrim launcher once from mo, then exit and then run the patcher from mo.
This creates any necessary files the patcher might rely on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hampig posted:

I'm really enjoying Morrowloot Ultimate + Deadly Combat + Revenge of the Enemies since you don't have to artificially hold yourself back from becoming overpowered. They make the combat more enjoyable without getting tedious and the extra difficulty means you really appreciate the MLU upgrades when they come. Bosses will murder you though and I don't know an elegant way around it (not an MLU problem though, that's the other two).
Knowing that Morrowloot Ultimate exists singlehandedly made me want to reinstall and try it, because I really enjoyed Morrowloot 4E and MLU looks just straight up better. Thanks for that!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mr.Grit posted:

This might not help, but make sure you've run the skyrim launcher once before using patcher type stuff. Same thing if you're running through mod organizer... run the regular skyrim launcher once from mo, then exit and then run the patcher from mo.
This creates any necessary files the patcher might rely on.

Did this and then uninstalled and reinstalled FNIS and its creatures pack, it worked.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Does Undeath still break everything? If it does, is there a go-to necromancy overhaul/expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's a mod called Corpse Preparation that I've had good experience with.

• Locked thread