Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

KillHour posted:

I don't know what lovely wings you've been eating, but Buffalo wings aren't battered. Or breaded. The only thing they have in common with chicken nuggets is the animal they come from.

Buffalo wings aren't breaded, but Country Sweet wings are and they are the best thing to eat while trashed on someone's porch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I bake my wings and they come out really good. Crunchy outside, meaty and moist inside. I think a lot of people try to sauce them before or while they're cooking and that's a surefire way to gently caress 'em up.

Baking them so they come out tasting like they should requires a very high heat, so i like to put them on a cooling rack and throw a baking pan with water underneath to keep the drippings from smoking the place up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't like super spicy or vinegary wings. I actually didn't know for years that wings came any other way, so now I'm making up for lost time. Old Bay wings (Old Bay, lemon juice, butter) are fantastic.

I also make these garlic parmesan wings. Salt, pepper, paprika (smoked if you have it), onion powder, garlic powder, a little cayenne, mixed in 1 Tbsp of melted butter per pound of wings. Bake them (high temp, baking powder if you fancy), then sauce, then add 2 Tbsp Parmesan on top.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

KillHour posted:

And I'm not claiming that they are high cuisine on the level of bouillabaisse or carpaccio. I'm just saying they can be more than the soggy things that come with your pizza. If you only ever had salad from fast food places, you would think of that as a sauce delivery method, too.
I'm not trying to make any sort of high/low cuisine distinction; I think those sorts of arguments are bunk. And I'm pretty sure the fact that I'm indifferent to wings isn't because I haven't tried the right ones. I think it's because I'm indifferent to a lot of foods that are basically a neutral protein plus a flavour shroud---the now-ubiquitous tarted-up tilapia recipe that shows up as the fish-for-people-who-don't-like-fish option is another example.

But you know, whatever. I'm not trying to talk you out of liking wings, any more than you were presumably trying to talk anyone out of liking sriracha---using stronger language than I used about wings. I just think it's peculiar that they're one of those culinary holy grounds that people have staked out, like chili and burgers and the proper way to cook a steak and so on.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So which (bottled) Sriracha is "the" one to have then, if Huy Foods is anus?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Speaking of smoked paprika, I've been trying to figure out a proper street taco recipe:

MARINADE
1 cup orange juice
1 cup rapeseed (:getin:) oil
2 limes juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon smoked paprika (you can go a little more if you're feelin it)
1/4 tablespoon cumin
1/4 tablespoon garlic
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt

Makes....whatever. Half lb of meat or so, season to taste. Chunk it into small pieces and mix with marinade.

MEAT
1/2lb skirt/flank steak
Cut against the grain into thin strips. If the knife hits connective tissue then cut around it. Put the effort in to get proper morsels. Then cut the strips across into small chunks. Use your cutting technique to tenderize the meat a bit, but keep the chunks a decent size.
Take chunked meat and marinade for 1-4 hours.

COOK
Dice a white onion
Dice cilantro
Prep 8 corn taco shells on the skillet until slightly heated. Stack on a plate in the oven and shuffle like a deck of cards often. 8 serves 2.
Afterward, overheat the skillet (you're using a cast iron right?) and toss meat on. Don't let it braise, almost fry it. Use batches if need be to keep temps up. Cook until perfect.

SERVE
Take meat and put it into two tortillas, sprinkle lots of onion and cilantro on top. Best served with tomatillo sauce. Serve with spare lime chunks.

This is as close as I've gotten to a proper recipe. I keep visiting my local joint to take notes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sriracha chili paste in the small plastic bottle.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

revmoo posted:

What differs from the bottled version? I've tried both, but it just seems like a difference in consistency.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you like sriracha at all, Huy Fong is fine. The other brand you're likely to find in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of a white people grocer's is Lee Kum Kee, which is...okay. But it's not particularly sriracha-like. You can occasionally find Polar, and it's available on amazon if you don't have anyplace locally that carries anything but Huy Fong. It's the one that's apparently favoured by Our Lord And Savior López-Alt.

If you have ethnic grocers in your area, I'd just try a few and settle on what you like. Which might well be an entirely different condiment sauce---sriracha is, in and of itself, a pretty assertive sauce, and so if you're not really fond of it you probably want a different kind of chili sauce.

revmoo posted:

Are you thinking of Huy Fong's sambal oelek? It's got the cock on the bottle, but it's not sriracha.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's nothing objectively wrong with the Huy Fong sriracha, if you like it, go hog wild. Some people really like the flavor. I just found that it always seemed to dominate rather than compliment dishes. I don't know a whole lot about traditional sriracha as a sauce (it's apparently rather different from Huy Fong), but I do like the Huy Fong jar sauces. This has nothing to do with spiciness, the chili garlic is probably spicier than the sriracha, it's more how the sauce asserts itself I guess.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I always thought the Huy version was fine, but I'm open to trying better versions.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

hogmartin posted:

There's nothing objectively wrong with the Huy Fong sriracha, if you like it, go hog wild. Some people really like the flavor. I just found that it always seemed to dominate rather than compliment dishes. I don't know a whole lot about traditional sriracha as a sauce (it's apparently rather different from Huy Fong), but I do like the Huy Fong jar sauces. This has nothing to do with spiciness, the chili garlic is probably spicier than the sriracha, it's more how the sauce asserts itself I guess.

`Traditional' Thai srirachas are more vinegary and thinner than Huy Fong's, but the flavour's not that different. Or at least not to my possibly unsophisticated palate.

Sambals are a substantially different genre of sauces, and they're not really intended for the same applications. I mean you can go nuts and use a bottle of sauce however the gently caress you want and I, no poo poo, won't care. I'm just talking about them in their original context or however you want to say it. Sambal oelek/ulek in particular is almost like the Indonesian equivalent of a mother sauce---it can be used by itself, but just as frequently you'll see it used as a base for a more complex sauce. Like the simplest basic sambal oelek is like just vinegar and minced/pulverised/whatever peppers. The bottled versions frequently have garlic and other poo poo as well. But in any case they're really `designed' to add punch, rather than change the flavour balance. As opposed to something like sriracha, which is definitely there to impart a particular flavour.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Sambal is also super pretty. It does not suffer from Sriracha's problem of looking like ketchup when applied to the dish.

I find Huy Fong Sambal is much less sweet, a bright clear spiciness. Not too sour, like some sauces can get. But it's not a neutral spiciness (if that makes any sense, it's heat without flavor) that chili oil gets you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

Whoa this went from zero to one-hundred real quick.

I'll promise to cook this but in exchange I want a recipe for jerk chicken wings as well.

well i can't take credit for the recipe, but this guy has a shitload of great recipes for wings and other grilled/smoked stuff too.

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/tags/wing

all of these were good when i tried them:

Filipino Chicken Adobo Wings
Spicy Cumin Wings
Tiki Wings
Hoisin Glazed Chicken Wings

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want a low-calorie waffle recipe. Like 300-450 calories per waffle low, but doesn't taste like poo poo.

Help.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How do you feel about really small waffles?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I want a low-calorie waffle recipe. Like 300-450 calories per waffle low, but doesn't taste like poo poo.

Help.

You can add protein powder to them, they aren't going to be lower calorie but they'll be more nutritious.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I should clarify. The Belgian waffle recipe that came with my Waring Pro waffle maker is only about 280-300 calories per serving, but the prep work is LOOOOOONG and requires some stuff I don't have or really feel like messing with. Like yeast. And an egg separator. And mixing the yeast in water. And over an hour of prep time.

I might be able to copy the recipe here, but is there a way to shorten something like that? I don't want authentic Belgian waffles, I just want waffles.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 6, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Not sure about the waffles, but just wanted to note that you can separate an egg into yolk and white using the shell (pour the whites between the two pieces of shell, holding back the yolk by tipping the shell back just before it would slide out) or your hands (let the white run through your fingers). No need for an egg separator.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

taqueso posted:

Not sure about the waffles, but just wanted to note that you can separate an egg into yolk and white using the shell (pour the whites between the two pieces of shell, holding back the yolk by tipping the shell back just before it would slide out) or your hands (let the white run through your fingers). No need for an egg separator.

I know, but I'm really just looking to simplify this waffle recipe.

Let me see if I can find it online, so I can post a link.

EDIT: Found it! Please tell me how to simplify this.

quote:

Classic Belgian Waffles

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water, divided
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one packet)
1/3 cup sugar
3 cups sifted unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated + 1 egg white
1 1/2 cups whole milk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Instructions:
Heat 3/4 cup of the water to 105°-110°F. Dissolve the yeast in the water with a pinch of the sugar; let stand 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture begins to foam.

Put the flour and salt into a large bowl and mix until thoroughly incorporated; reserve. Add the egg yolks, one egg white and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture; mix thoroughly. Add the remaining water, the milk, melted butter, oil, and vanilla; stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and beat until smooth.

Beat the remaining egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites gently into the batter. Let the batter stand for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

[...]

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 6, 2016

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

I should clarify. The Belgian waffle recipe that came with the Waring Pro is only about 280-300 calories per serving, but the prep work is LOOOOOONG and requires some stuff I don't have or really feel like messing with. Like yeast. And an egg separator. And mixing the yeast in water. And over an hour of prep time.

I might be able to copy the recipe here, but is there a way to shorten something like that? I don't want authentic Belgian waffles, I just want waffles.

I don't think Belgian waffles are inherently lower calorie, so you could probably just look up a standard recipe that uses baking powder for leavening and do the math.

I'd never heard of egg separators before - is it really just a tool that separates whites from yolks? Why is that necessary?

E. Oh beaten. Never mind!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Esme posted:

I don't think Belgian waffles are inherently lower calorie, so you could probably just look up a standard recipe that uses baking powder for leavening and do the math.

I already did the math on this recipe (using MyFitnessPal). It comes out to about 300 calories per waffle, less if you use lower-calorie ingredients like skim milk and sugar-stevia blend.

What's this about baking powder? Can I shorten the recipe I posted with that?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's this about baking powder? Can I shorten the recipe I posted with that?
You can use it instead of yeast to make the waffles fluffy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

taqueso posted:

You can use it instead of yeast to make the waffles fluffy.

Okay, but how much baking powder should I use?

Actually can I just mix all the ingredients from the recipe in a bowl (minus yeast and water) all at once and use that as my batter?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

I don't want authentic Belgian waffles, I just want waffles.
If you don't give a gently caress then just get low-fat/cal Bisquick. It will make waffles, and it couldn't be easier.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Actually can I just mix all the ingredients from the recipe in a bowl (minus yeast and water) all at once and use that as my batter?

I think the easiest way to lower calories when making waffles is to try and limit the amount of fat you're adding. Fat is 9kcal/gram, compared to 4kcal/gram for protein, starch and sugar. The recipe you posted has quite a lot of butter in it, which is where a good 35% of the calories are coming from. Obviously adding less butter will impact the flavor and texture, but that's the price we pay unfortunately.

Try this recipe, it's simpler and has way less fat. I made it a few times when I got a waffle iron a couple of years back:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1127671/awfully-good-waffles

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I make sure to always have one each of the following:
  • Cholula
  • Sriracha
  • Sambal Oelek
  • Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've hit up several chinese marts around LA and they're all out of spicy chili crisp. I dunno what's going on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Here is my quick waffle recipe. Not sure about calories, but it's not time consuming like yeast waffles (which are great, by the way).

2 eggs, beaten well
9 ounces all purpose flour (2 cups)
1 ¾ cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp shite sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bea the eggs, mix it with the other liquid. Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the liquid and mix just until smooth. Waffle.

Edit: If you don't have leavening, the waffles will be bricks. You want something that will put air into your batter so it rises and gets lighter. Yeast does this by farting CO2. Baking powder releases CO2 via chemical reaction. But because the yeast also breaks down some of the starches in the flour, it's not as easy as just substituting baking powder in a recipe that calls for yeast.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 6, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Can someone do a quick post on how to use corn starch? When I do a generic stir fry, I put soy sauce, grated ginger, sugar, sesame oil, and maybe mirin in a Pyrex measuring cup, then add maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp corn starch and whisk it up. I might microwave it for a few minutes and then whisk it again. Then, after all the meat/veg are cooked I put them back in the wok and add the sauce and toss it a bit before serving. Except I just realized that for maybe over a decade, I've been doing this and the corn starch is just in suspension (will settle to the bottom of the Pyrex if left alone) and not dissolving or creating an emulsion or whatever. Is this normal, or should I be doing something differently?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of a white people grocer's

Hahaha that was great.

Huy Fong sriracha is just fine, I like it. Word to the wise: do NOT buy Trader Joe's sriracha. It tastes like overfermented buttholes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

Can someone do a quick post on how to use corn starch? When I do a generic stir fry, I put soy sauce, grated ginger, sugar, sesame oil, and maybe mirin in a Pyrex measuring cup, then add maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp corn starch and whisk it up. I might microwave it for a few minutes and then whisk it again. Then, after all the meat/veg are cooked I put them back in the wok and add the sauce and toss it a bit before serving. Except I just realized that for maybe over a decade, I've been doing this and the corn starch is just in suspension (will settle to the bottom of the Pyrex if left alone) and not dissolving or creating an emulsion or whatever. Is this normal, or should I be doing something differently?

Mix your corn starch into an ounce or two (that's it!) of liquid. Soy, stock, whatever. ⅛ or ¼ tsp of corn starch won't do much though. Go for a tablespoon or two. Get your sauce boiling in the wok, then give your slurry (that's what it's called) a good stir to get everything in suspension. Then, while stirring the sauce in your wok, pour in your slurry. Keep stirring until the sauce comes to a boil.

There is no need to microwave it beforehand or anything like that. You will know the sauce has boiled/is it it's thickest because the milky color will go away and you will have something more translucent and glassy.

To be clear: Your sauce should be assembled in the wok and and the slurry added last to thicken it up. Add maybe half the slurry at first and let it thicken and see if you need more. Too thick, and the stir fry will have too much sauce stuck to it and the flavor may be overpowering. It's just something you have to get a feel for as you go.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Esme posted:

I'd never heard of egg separators before - is it really just a tool that separates whites from yolks? Why is that necessary?

E. Oh beaten. Never mind!

Oh you know an egg separator, just get one of these machines and you're all set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78VDqoQdavY

e: kidding aside they look like this:

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Midniter posted:

Hahaha that was great.

Huy Fong sriracha is just fine, I like it. Word to the wise: do NOT buy Trader Joe's sriracha. It tastes like overfermented buttholes.

Seconded on tj sriracha, tastes really sweet, not spicy, thin and somehow fishy.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

TYVM. I'll try that method next time. I always figured the sauce was something you prepared and then poured over the food but that way sounds better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

TYVM. I'll try that method next time. I always figured the sauce was something you prepared and then poured over the food but that way sounds better.

Generally I cook all the parts separately, then put it all back in the wok and make a little hole in the middle. Everything tends to give off some liquid, so that's kind of the start of the sauce, and then I add soy/stock/xiaoxing wine/oyster sauce/etc. Corn starch slurry is last once I get the sauce where I want it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

I've hit up several chinese marts around LA and they're all out of spicy chili crisp. I dunno what's going on.

Happens sometimes. It's a good opportunity to try the other varieties, though, like spicy peanut or fried turnip chunk.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So I went with the girlfriend to this place, The Pharmacy, in Nashville, TN this past weekend and tried this stuff they have called curry ketchup and now I have to have more but apparently its really hard to find in America. Any particular brands I should look at finding online from Europe or specific recipes for making my own that's better than just curry powder and heinz?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Here is my quick waffle recipe. Not sure about calories, but it's not time consuming like yeast waffles (which are great, by the way).

2 eggs, beaten well
9 ounces all purpose flour (2 cups)
1 ¾ cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp shite sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bea the eggs, mix it with the other liquid. Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the liquid and mix just until smooth. Waffle.

How many waffles does this recipe make? It looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

How many waffles does this recipe make? It looks good.

Probably 4 or 5 on the Waring? Not sure.

Lately I've been using Carbon's Golden Malted waffle mix for my quick waffles, but the price has gone through the roof on amazon, so I will be back to using this recipe soon.

I just realized it says shite sugar. Yeah...that should be white sugar.