Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, I realized what a slippery slope I'm on and went and talked to the guy. He claims he's not upset with me, but that they didn't even ask him if he wanted the job, which he did, and does. I told him that all of that was completely out of my power and has nothing to do with me, but that I just left a job where I had a lot of resentment and hatred for my supervisor and I don't want to be on the other end of that here.

So, we're going to sit down twice a week and get on the same page, he'll update me on IT stuff, and I'll update him on any future plans and ideas for the department. I told him I wouldn't step on his toes, but I'm always willing to help out or take on my share of the IT related work, but IT is his show. He's still going to have to update me and keep me informed before he does stuff, but I'm not interjecting my dumb opinions on fixes unless he asks. I told him someone with a lot of experience and skill needs to be in his position.

Basically, I'm his supervisor whether he likes it or not. This is my department whether he likes it or not. But I'm not going to rub it in his face, and I'm not going to step in and try to run the whole show. This is a two-man operation and it's gonna take both of us to make everything work out.

He seemed pretty ok with it?

Who knows, I've never been a manager before, what do you expect from me, drat.

I think you should sever all ties to this person OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Now, while he's back is turned and he has your trust, steal his chair

Or even better: superimpose a picture of a buffalo on the back of his chair

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

18 Character Limit posted:

It was the dawn of the third age of larchesdanrew -- ten weeks after the larches-CE war.

The yotj was a dream, given form. Its goal: to prevent another war, by creating a place where humans and IT can work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call – home away from home – for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers.

Humans and IT, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand dollars of spinning budget . . . all alone in the night.

It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace.

This is the story of the last of the larches yotj's. The year is 2016. The name of the place doesn't concern you.

I had a chill run down my spine reading this. Time to dig out the DVDs again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Make him sit on a buffalo. Whether that's a stack of Buffalo NASs or an actual buffalo is up to you.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, I realized what a slippery slope I'm on and went and talked to the guy. He claims he's not upset with me, but that they didn't even ask him if he wanted the job, which he did, and does. I told him that all of that was completely out of my power and has nothing to do with me, but that I just left a job where I had a lot of resentment and hatred for my supervisor and I don't want to be on the other end of that here.

So, we're going to sit down twice a week and get on the same page, he'll update me on IT stuff, and I'll update him on any future plans and ideas for the department. I told him I wouldn't step on his toes, but I'm always willing to help out or take on my share of the IT related work, but IT is his show. He's still going to have to update me and keep me informed before he does stuff, but I'm not interjecting my dumb opinions on fixes unless he asks. I told him someone with a lot of experience and skill needs to be in his position.

Basically, I'm his supervisor whether he likes it or not. This is my department whether he likes it or not. But I'm not going to rub it in his face, and I'm not going to step in and try to run the whole show. This is a two-man operation and it's gonna take both of us to make everything work out.

Nice way to handle it.

Did you close it out with a hug?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
No, he closed with, "Now, give me my chair back."

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

totalnewbie posted:

No, he closed with, "Now, give me my chair back."

The chair is already covered in boogers, he doesn't want it anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

larchesdanrew posted:

Amongst all the jokes I'll say this is a really great way to have dealt with this. I'd also add that you could try and work with whoever's above to figure out why he wasn't considered for or offered the job, and assuming it's some skills deficiency and not some bullshit, try and groom him to take over for you at some point when you move on.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

This response alone is better than many, many managers out there right now.

Including mine...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FISHMANPET posted:

Amongst all the jokes I'll say this is a really great way to have dealt with this. I'd also add that you could try and work with whoever's above to figure out why he wasn't considered for or offered the job, and assuming it's some skills deficiency and not some bullshit, try and groom him to take over for you at some point when you move on.

Or so he can move into a similar position when HE moves on. The best managers I have had have always been the ones who pushed us to get better qualified so we could leave our current jobs, even if it cost them talent.

They kept huge amounts of talent that could have moved on, simply because that made us loyal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Crotch Fruit posted:

CE: Larch, I am your father.
Larch: Noooo!!!!

Plot-twist:
New subordinate is former CE's bastard child.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Actually being upfront with people like that is huge, unless the guy is a total tit he'll probably come around to what you are doing. What does such is how they treated him for that position, I applied for a position and only found out I didn't get it when the new person started. I resented the new person fo awhile, which I'm not proud of, but I eventually realized that it wasn't their fault and they are really good at their job. Still wish I got that position though, department I'm stuck in has turned into a huge shitshow.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Client called, natives enjoyed New Years Eve a little too much and celebratory gun fire came through the roof and hit 2 feet from their server. Currently devising armor plating for server/network closet.

Texas, y'all.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 6, 2016

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I didn't get half of the references you guys made. Can you guys help me out?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Babylon 5 I think

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Babylon 5, Wheel of Time, few others.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Between the time when Dick Trauma exited his pod and the dropping of blackswordca's testicles, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, larchesdanrew, destined to wear the heavy anchor of Buffalo around a bearded neck. It is us, the SH/SC goons, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of hypertension!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Plot-twist:
New subordinate is former CE's bastard child.

Episode 7

The CE's Empire had been defeated yet in the chaos a new order arose from the ashes clutching the melted remains of CE's buffalo. Having failed to train a new league of IT knights, Larch went into hiding.

Larch's sidekick set the fastest record for copying the Kessel file to the Buffalo NAS in 12 parsecs.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 6, 2016

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Three disks for Windows drives under RAID 5
Seven for the database in its flexcone
Nine for striped scratch doomed to die
One for the CE on his dark throne
In the studio basement where the shadows lie
One Buffalo to sync them all, one NAS to find them
One NAS to bring them all and with the LDAP bind them

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

:vince:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

:golfclap:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Aunt Beth posted:

For some reason I'm reminded of Welcome to Night Vale.

Taco Bell, Live Mas

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Aunt Beth posted:

I wish thread titles could be longer :golfclap:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Aunt Beth posted:

:boom:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This is why we bookmark threads. Well done.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aunt Beth posted:

:jerky:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

go3 posted:

Client called, natives enjoyed New Years Eve a little too much and celebratory gun fire came through the roof and hit 2 feet from their server. Currently devising armor plating for server/network closet.

Texas, y'all.

Are you loving serious? Holy poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

larchesdanrew posted:

So, we're going to sit down twice a week and get on the same page, he'll update me on IT stuff, and I'll update him on any future plans and ideas for the department.

Keep those meetings religiously. They're hugely important for the day to day work, and keeping them faithfully shows your employee that you do care. Monday's and Friday's are bad for the recurring personal times with staff - they get cancelled regularly by three day weekends. More than once a week is great, but make one primary and hold to it.

I had years of my Friday call with the director in the home office being cancelled or… heck, not cancelled, straight up ignored and not followed up on. That poo poo sucked.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Swink posted:

Are you loving serious? Holy poo poo.

Not surprised in the least. loving rednecks.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

The single fact that you're risen from the rank and file should make you a better manager than most. You know what managers do that is annoying, and what you would expect a decent manager to do.

(Why doesn't the US military require their officers to have been regular troops first? That just seems odd to me.)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Crowley posted:

The single fact that you're risen from the rank and file should make you a better manager than most. You know what managers do that is annoying, and what you would expect a decent manager to do.

(Why doesn't the US military require their officers to have been regular troops first? That just seems odd to me.)

It helps to have officers who have a moderate amount of intelligence. They don't really want their grunts to be too intelligent. IMO at least.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

It helps to have officers who have a moderate amount of intelligence. They don't really want their grunts to be too intelligent. IMO at least.

Works OK for us, but that's a debate for another thread. Or on IRC.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

larchesdanrew posted:

You being up front with him puts the ball in his court in terms of whether or not he's going to be an rear end in a top hat. Most people are generally cool when you approach them the way you approached him, though. So I think you'll probably end up having a good working relationship unless it turns out he's childish and vindictive. If it turns out poorly there's no way he can claim any of it is your fault, and that's really as much as you can reasonably do.

Laying out responsibilities is a good way to go and letting him know that his input is valuable will go a long way. Because you have broad decision-making power you have the ability to make his job a lot easier or a lot harder depending on what kind of feedback he's willing to give you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What is up with support departments that insist on phoning you rather than just working a case through the tickets? Just tell me what information you need me to get, and if we get stuck and a phone call will help then let's talk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

What is up with support departments that insist on phoning you rather than just working a case through the tickets? Just tell me what information you need me to get, and if we get stuck and a phone call will help then let's talk.

Hell, they're making the problem a little worse by doing this, because now you won't even have the info on-hand if you need it later.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thanks Ants posted:

Well either their manager yelled at them to do it to do some weird show of "we care, we care I swear we care!" or their metrics basically make it impossible for email chanins to get things resolved, or you don't answer your email. Probably the first two.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

:drat::wow::drat:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

OWLS! posted:

Well either their manager yelled at them to do it to do some weird show of "we care, we care I swear we care!" or their metrics basically make it impossible for email chanins to get things resolved, or you don't answer your email. Probably the first two.
It's #1. I get random calls on random tickets from a particular vendor, and 3/4 of the time it's not because they need my attention, they're just trying to put the "human touch" on me.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

go3 posted:

Texas, y'all.

Screw percussive maintenance, ballistic maintenance is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Hands-up the retard who changed the 'Artist Name' field on his entire iTunes library, instead of just a single album.

I did wonder why it was taking was long, but assumed it was just iTunes going though one of its periodical slow-downs.

and of course, it happens on the day when my NAS is very slowly uploading to Glacier and so I cannot start a restore - even though it's a different drive and the standard back/restore is a different app from glacier. Thanks Synology.

• Locked thread