Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ThePutty posted:

i've never noticed this before in any movie, is this common and just really well hidden in movies or is it another weird decision from george

Someone in the thread also mentioned McGregor saying that when he watched the movies, Obi-Wan was saying lines that McGregor never really said.

Facemorphing is such a weird tactic that I doubt it's even occurred as a serious thing to most directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Someone in the thread also mentioned McGregor saying that when he watched the movies, Obi-Wan was saying lines that McGregor never really said.

Facemorphing is such a weird tactic that I doubt it's even occurred as a serious thing to most directors.

I haven't seen the new one but I guess they have Alec Guiness saying some new stuff made by cutting up his old lines akin to a serial killer's letter

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Modest Mao posted:

I haven't seen the new one but I guess they have Alec Guiness saying some new stuff made by cutting up his old lines akin to a serial killer's letter

There's a "destiny" sequence where they have McGregor apparently do a couple of new lines that are spliced in, but it's almost all inaudible so I have no idea why they bothered.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

There's a "destiny" sequence where they have McGregor apparently do a couple of new lines that are spliced in, but it's almost all inaudible so I have no idea why they bothered.

guess that part has Alec Guiness mixed in too, from googling

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Modest Mao posted:

stitching two takes together is super common but using face morphing on a character between his lines to do so,

I don't think so tim

it's just such an odd thing to do and i'm trying to figure out why the gently caress george lucas thought that was a good idea

i mean people are probably going to find a shitload of these throughout the prequels now right

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm guessing Christiansen had a line before and after Palpatine's, right? Lucas obviously liked the delivery from take 1 for the first line, but the delivery from take 2 for the second.

For some reason they had nothing to cut away two, no second angle or POV shot of what they're looking at. IDK why that would happen since Christiansen isn't really acting like he's listening and considering what's being said (until after the morph) so there's no good reason for this shot to be like this.

I am also guessing this happened for pure hubris. To 'prove' that digital and special effects allowed directors even more power since that was a large part of what interested lucas in making the prequels.

edit: or maybe it's retiming and they shot both heads separately and composited them together? and Christiansen didn't turn his head with interest at the right time so they had to speed it up? Anyway it's literally undergrad level 'oh poo poo I hosed up, well maybe ~special effects~ can hide it'.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 6, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Modest Mao posted:

I'm guessing Christiansen had a line before and after Palpatine's, right? Lucas obviously liked the delivery from take 1 for the first line, but the delivery from take 2 for the second.

For some reason they had nothing to cut away two, no second angle or POV shot of what they're looking at. IDK why that would happen since Christiansen isn't really acting like he's listening and considering what's being said (until after the morph) so there's no good reason for this shot to be like this.

I am also guessing this happened for pure hubris. To 'prove' that digital and special effects allowed directors even more power since that was a large part of what interested lucas in making the prequels.

edit: or maybe it's retiming and they shot both heads separately and composited them together? and Christiansen didn't turn his head with interest at the right time so they had to speed it up? Anyway it's literally undergrad level 'oh poo poo I hosed up, well maybe ~special effects~ can hide it'.

One look at the prequels will tell you that Lucas didn't put any effort into setting up his shots.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

One look at the prequels will tell you that Lucas didn't put any effort into setting up his shots.

nah, he really really did in most cases, it's basically the only time he put any effort into loving anything tho

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's weird because for most of the other dialogue-heavy scenes of people sitting and talking he used that Barbar Walters style shot-reverse shot.

also because they had that weird circ-fish-soliel mon cal opera-balet thing in the big anti-grav water bubble that looked kind of cool but we only ever got to see in long shot without any detail, they could have cut to that to cover any cuts and add visual interest to the scene if they didn't want to reshoot the dialogue

face morphing. man, these movies are bad for reasons both pedestrian and absurd

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
i don't know what you're all complaining about, the special effects in the prequels never really stuck out to me as CGI (and i didn't even notice any facemorphing)

imo the CGI in them was actually pretty good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

becrumbac posted:

i don't know what you're all complaining about, the special effects in the prequels never really stuck out to me as CGI (and i didn't even notice any facemorphing)

It was actually incredibly bad at the time and aged poorly. The Clonetroopers in particular were garbage. That scene where the trooper helps padme up after she falls out of the gunship always stood out to me as something that looked like something out of ReBoot the first time I saw it in theaters, and 13 years of advances in visual effects have done it no favors.

Fun fact: Zero practical clonetrooper outfits were produced for the prequels. It was all full CGI or an actor's head pasted onto a CGI body, or probably as often as not CGI faces.

It's bad. Having every scene be actors on a greenscreen soundstage acting against green block stand ins holding green block stand-in props is bad.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yeah for real, I could listen to people talk about working with him all night. I love poo poo like that, the dumb stupid poo poo that ends up making Empire Strikes Back or The Phantom Menace

You might like this then. Greg Proops, one of the announcers in the pod race tells a very similar story about how he was directed for his scenes.

I was there too with Greg Proops

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

screaden posted:

You might like this then. Greg Proops, one of the announcers in the pod race tells a very similar story about how he was directed for his scenes.

I was there too with Greg Proops

Proops is great but holy poo poo the interviewer is loving terrible. 6 minutes of stumbling over every word he says and trying to string together a series of name drops and terrible thoughts

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 6, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Applewhite posted:

It's a pretty good MMO. I liked it better than WoW and Wildstar, but, like all MMO's, ultimately a huge timesink for very little payoff. Depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

I played a Sith Warrior and their storyline was pretty fun.

It suffers heavily from being an MMO. What they can do with the story, the companions, and the gameplay is super limited.

They could have made the greatest single player RPG of all time, instead they made a tier 6 MMO.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Doctor who EU chat a few pages back made me wonder: are there any expanded universes shittier than what star wars had going on? I know star trek has some really dumb poo poo going on in its novels, but what about, I don't know, stargate? Are there stargate novels/comics/whatever? In fact isn't all of stargate except the original movie "expanded universe" when you think about it? And how about more recent properties like Lost? I vaguely recall there being at least a couple novels + a game that explored stuff that wasn't in the show at all.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sinking belle posted:

Doctor who EU chat a few pages back made me wonder: are there any expanded universes shittier than what star wars had going on? I know star trek has some really dumb poo poo going on in its novels, but what about, I don't know, stargate? Are there stargate novels/comics/whatever? In fact isn't all of stargate except the original movie "expanded universe" when you think about it? And how about more recent properties like Lost? I vaguely recall there being at least a couple novels + a game that explored stuff that wasn't in the show at all.

The Almost Human EU where we find out it's a prequel to Judge Dredd.

The Brazil EU which treats the "happy" ending as canon and Sam Lowry goes on further adventures battling the evil Ministry of Information.

Rebecca Sugar's run on the Power Ranger's EU.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Applewhite posted:

Karl Urban must never die.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

sinking belle posted:

star trek didn't really have an eu, i used to read the books
too much poo poo went on in the tv show for authors to start referencing each others poo poo as things that happened, especially since they were a dumping ground for soapboxy bullshit, fanfictiony bullshit, and science fiction books that were probably going to be their own thing but ended up here instead, the kind of sci fi where people meet an alien and we learn what families they have and why their culture is better and what their farts smell like and never actually have a story
no one involved could actually write for poo poo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I'm actually impressed by the head morph because I couldn't even notice it until I was looking for it. A more recent Adobe Premiere update includes this feature and it's pretty cool for interviews and whatnot to hide jump cuts without some b-roll. Just cut poo poo out, drag the effect over, magic.

The real head scratcher is why the hell was this done for the movie? Not only that, but the only way i can see this happening is if both actors were shot separately and against green screens. And being that this is a scripted film, why is face morphing being used at all. Use get more takes, it's not like George was strapped for cash and couldnt shoot a few extra takes of anakin brooding.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Pwr5nZV7o

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sinking belle posted:

Aliens EU had to be rebooted at least twice since the films have overridden them: first was Alien 3, which curtailed the adventures of Newt and Hicks because they died in off-screen in the film, and Prometheus basically rendered the EU's rendition of the Space Jockeys obsolete. I've heard conflicting reports that Aliens Colonial Marines game is now canon, which means Hicks is now alive again for some reason.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually they didn't make any Alien movies after Aliens and Newt is still alive.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember really digging that Kurt Russel's Soldier movie was an indirect sequel to Blade Runner

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Applewhite posted:

wat

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Star Wars was unusual in that it's one of the few major properties that really took the canonicity of its associated novels and games and such seriously. There's no expectation that if someone writes a book about Captain Kirk that anything in it matters for the rest of the property.

Alien is even more hosed up in the sense that none of the directors consider the other directors' work canon.

Other Barry fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 6, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The Brazil EU which treats the "happy" ending as canon and Sam Lowry goes on further adventures battling the evil Ministry of Information.

This is a joke. It must be. Every other terrible thing in this thread has been real, but not this.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also:

The "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" prequel comics that feature the origin story of Judge Doom (AKA Baron Von Rotten).

The Harry Potter EU which takes one-line gags from the series and spins whole backstories for them.

The Singing Ship stories about that girl who was quadriplegic or whatever but whose brain was uploaded into a spaceship. She has a surprisingly large number of adventures by different authors for a character nobody's heard of.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2016

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Proops is great but holy poo poo the interviewer is loving terrible. 6 minutes of stumbling over every word he says and trying to string together a series of name drops and terrible thoughts

You're dumb bud

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Drunkboxer posted:

You're dumb bud

Count the goddam "Uhms", "Uhs" and unspellable blabbers in the first 8 minutes alone.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Here's looking at you, youngling.

The stuff that force visions are made of.

Forget it, Jayke, it's Coruscant.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Young Freud posted:

Aliens EU had to be rebooted at least twice since the films have overridden them: first was Alien 3, which curtailed the adventures of Newt and Hicks because they died in off-screen in the film, and Prometheus basically rendered the EU's rendition of the Space Jockeys obsolete. I've heard conflicting reports that Aliens Colonial Marines game is now canon, which means Hicks is now alive again for some reason.

The Aliens comics were about Hicks and Newt. After Alien 3, they reprinted some of the comics but with their names changed and Newt's hair changed to brown. So if you go to the store now and buy a copy of Aliens Omnibus Volume 1, it starts off with the adventures of Shnewt and Shicks, and then it gets to the end of the reprinted comics and they switch to just being Newt and Hicks.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Anchorhead Blues

Jumpin Jakku Flash

Comfortably Nien Nubb

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's also a Predator comic that came out before Predator 2. Predators invade New York City in their invisible spaceships and Dutch's brother, who is a NYPD officer for some reason, fights them

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

becrumbac posted:

Said the blind man

Really, Yoda's fight sequence alone made me simultaneously laugh out loud and cry with disappointment at finally realizing everything was bad

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
All the effort Lucas himself put in to Episode 1 can be seen in the Pod Racing scene and nowhere else. Lucas definitly chain watched Days of Thunder and old 1960s stock car races for weeks on end before going to his animators

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think we can all agree that podracing was the only good thing to come out of the prequels (except that gif of Ewan and Hayden spinning lightsabers I could watch that all day)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Otisburg posted:

It was actually incredibly bad at the time and aged poorly. The Clonetroopers in particular were garbage. That scene where the trooper helps padme up after she falls out of the gunship always stood out to me as something that looked like something out of ReBoot the first time I saw it in theaters, and 13 years of advances in visual effects have done it no favors.

Fun fact: Zero practical clonetrooper outfits were produced for the prequels. It was all full CGI or an actor's head pasted onto a CGI body, or probably as often as not CGI faces.

It's bad. Having every scene be actors on a greenscreen soundstage acting against green block stand ins holding green block stand-in props is bad.

Which is why I still think Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels, because they actually did some goddamn location shooting. CGI will always look better against a real backdrop than against an entirely artificial scene. The Jedi Temple in Attack of the Clones looks loving horrendous because of this, while the Naboo Theed streets look great because it's actually a very impressive set.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, that's how he knows poo poo is going down at Cloud City.

he's feeling that, it's like how obi wan feels everybody dying when alderaan gets blowed up.

there's a difference between "i feel like my friends are going to be in some kind of trouble" and "i know literally how people are going to die/that they're going to die or which way they're going to swing their saber in a split second".

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I think we can all agree that podracing was the only good thing to come out of the prequels (except that gif of Ewan and Hayden spinning lightsabers I could watch that all day)

Actually I hated the podracing and I think it was lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

Actually I hated the podracing and I think it was lovely.

It was awful for the movie itself, but it was made/filmed very well, had a lot of fun moments and really created a very fun N64/Arcade game

• Locked thread