Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

noirstronaut posted:

But that's not what happened in your case. Downloading over LTE "accidentally" didn't cause a data leak. You're using the verbiage for one thing to describe a totally different thing. If downloading over LTE caused you to somehow leak the data of your local government or some poo poo, it'd be the same idea.

The Internet is a series of tubes you see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

No, it's like saying I had a water leak in my house because after installing a new faucet my water main exploded. All my settings were correct. Automatic downloads were off, and there was literally no reason anyone who worked at Apple could find for as to why it was doing it.

I had that happening at one point. I have match, but it's still only supposed to download songs when they play. Instead, one day into my data cycle, I got a text saying I had used 4 gigs already. It was definitely the music app using the data, but the weird thing was it wasn't showing that it had my library on there or anything. Eventually through a combination of telling it not to use cellular and having it show only song on my phone, it stopped doing that and now I can seemingly turn all the stuff back on without it going nuts.

edit: I did not call it a data leak though. I called it oh poo poo ATT is gonna throttle my data a day into my plan because of the stupid music app

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You're all arguing over a term you know exactly what I meant by, because your pedants.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

TheJoker138 posted:

You're all arguing over a term you know exactly what I meant by, because your pedants.

Pedantphiles

And my watch is sold, at a loss, because apple is evil like Google and uber.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

pipebomb posted:

Pedantphiles

"hmm yase i had thought my consumer commodity might sell for a profit, tis a shame"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also looking it up, everyone from Apple to Forbes has used "data leak" to describe the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's almost as if the phrase has two meanings, hmmmm.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo everyone shut up

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I'm data leaking

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Get chuckled the gently caress up

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheJoker138 posted:

Also looking it up, everyone from Apple to Forbes has used "data leak" to describe the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's almost as if the phrase has two meanings, hmmmm.

that's only 5 letters out of 26. you lose by math too dude give it up yous a wrongboy

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

pipebomb posted:

Pedantphiles

I'm kind of boggled that you bought something like a dozen watch bands. I get that part of the point is bands are easy to swap out but you really should not have expected to come out anywhere near whole on that many used watch bands.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bought one watch band because I didn't like the sports band and the one I bought is nice.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

TheJoker138 posted:

I bought one watch band because I didn't like the sports band and the one I bought is nice.

I mean that's fine.

I don't mean to kick a man while he's down but buying 11 is a *lot* of ecosystem buy in, and my expectation is most people will be "ew gross used watch band" if you try to resell it later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Metal ones probably have resale value.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

TheJoker138 posted:

with no way to stop it.

You could try turning the phone off, or just cellular data (either for the specific app or everything) until you can get to wifi/get it reset/something else. Not saying it's your fault or anything, just things you can try if something like that happens again and you're aware of it before all your data is used up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainCaveman posted:

You could try turning the phone off, or just cellular data (either for the specific app or everything) until you can get to wifi/get it reset/something else. Not saying it's your fault or anything, just things you can try if something like that happens again and you're aware of it before all your data is used up.

That's what I ended up doing, but like I said, I didn't even catch it until I got the automated message from Verizon telling me my data was gone. It was doing this all in the background and I didn't even have the Music app open so didn't see the "x songs downloading" thing it usually puts up.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Ok. I finally got the watch. I was patiently waiting for v2 but my stepdad got one decided he didn't like it shipped it t me (can't complain :))

Anyway. I like it. Dictation works really well in texts and it's less bulky than I expected. Bands are also really comfy.

Two questions though if someone can help.

1 can you really just sync one playlist for offline use? I like having a couple of different playlists for the gym
2 is there anyway to make an outgoing call via Bluetooth? A selling point for me was doing all that stuff without pulling out the phone. But apparently calls initiated from the watch can only go through the watch speaker.... I guess I can just ask Siri to dial someone but then I have to unpaid my headset form the watch and pair to the phone again.

General thoughts. I don't think the watch as a good experience for "regular users" I spent the better part of my Saturday afternoon updating the watch to os2 and fiddling with the settings. I don't mind terribly doing that once but it's not the "Apple experience" take out of the box and it just works. Watch faces are really good looking and I will take it out for a run later see how it handles

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just bought an Apple Watch Sport from Target with the Best Buy price match and a $100 gift card. They rang me up in electronics and I literally told them if they could just price match me for $299 instead of giving me a $100 gift card. Walked to guest services and told the girl there the same thing and she just gave me both. I mean I tried but okay, hope she doesn't get in trouble.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Are appointments required at the fruit stand to get my cracked watch face swapped out? I have AppleCare on it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Won $500 on the Christmas scratch-offs and decided to get something frivolous that I've wanted but didn't really need. So I picked up an Apple Watch. I assume dilztronic is the goon case of choice?

I'm kidding of course, but I would like some recommendations on those band adapters.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

supersteve posted:

Are appointments required at the fruit stand to get my cracked watch face swapped out? I have AppleCare on it.

Yes, but just do it by mail instead since that's what they'd do anyway.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can I really not delete this stocks app. :lol:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just made a post on Craigslist for free furniture and I've gotten like 200 emails and my watch has been non stop vibrating. How do I make it stop ffs.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just made a post on Craigslist for free furniture and I've gotten like 200 emails and my watch has been non stop vibrating. How do I make it stop ffs.

Turn off alerts for what I assume is that junk throwaway email account.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or delete the Craigslist post

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Agronox posted:

Or for even more fine-tuning, use the VIP email contact list and set your watch to only let those through.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or for even more fine-tuning, use the VIP email contact list and set your watch to only let those through.

Oh this is awesome. I didn't know that was a feature. Is there a way to do the same but with iMessages? Have it only notify me when my "favorites" text me?"

Agronox posted:

Craigslist has an email forwarding service now where as far as I'm aware your email isn't exposed and everything gets relayed through Craigslist so it's not a junk throwaway email.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh this is awesome. I didn't know that was a feature. Is there a way to do the same but with iMessages? Have it only notify me when my "favorites" text me?"
Not that I know of. I think the VIP list idea is exclusive to email.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I'm not sure but I think if you set it to "do not disturb" you can set it up so that only calls/texts from approved contacts come through (at least that's how it works on the phone). Or do it like me and just mute whichever message thread texts you too much. You'll still get badges on the phone, just no notifications.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
If it's mostly iMessages from people not in your contacts, you can filter it down using Filter Unknown Senders:

Filter out iMessages from unknown senders posted:

In iOS 8.3 or later, you can filter out iMessages from people who aren't saved in your contacts. Go to Settings > Messages and turn on Filter Unknown Senders. When you open Messages, you'll see a new tab for Unknown Senders.
When you turn on this option, you won’t get notifications for iMessages from Unknown Senders.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I noticed Apple Care was only $50 for the Sport and that seems cheap enough that it would be worth it. It's pretty much just a replace my watch for $60(?) due to random damage/water/cracked screens/bad battery etc right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Pretty much. It also extends the warranty for a year. It does not cover loss/theft, though, I don't think.

Seems like a no brainer to me, especially since I doubt the battery will last two years what with all that chargin' and all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
TIL that Mack Lake is in Michigan.

Guess I'm taking a road trip this summer.

turns out this isn't true at all :downs:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 13, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One of the many things I really like about the watch is how easy it is to switch out the band. I really like how quickly I can change things up if I want.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Same here. I got a nice fancy link bracket clone that I wear to work and a thick leather band from etsy that I wear for casual occasions. I pop on the sport when I'm swimming or going to get dirty.

I used to wear dressy analog watches which looked nice when I was at work but kind of out of place when I'd be out and wearing a band shirt and jeans.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Can anyone with the official Apple magnetic charging dock comment on whether or not it's worth it?

I have one of the off-brand docks that uses your existing charger and holds the watch up vertically at an angle but every once in a while the magnet doesn't line up (without me noticing) and I end up at work with an almost dead watch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

supersteve posted:

Can anyone with the official Apple magnetic charging dock comment on whether or not it's worth it?

I have one of the off-brand docks that uses your existing charger and holds the watch up vertically at an angle but every once in a while the magnet doesn't line up (without me noticing) and I end up at work with an almost dead watch.

Worth it for me, travels better than having to take the whole box and since the magnet is adjustable it gives you more potential angles for nightstand mode.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah I like mine a lot, too.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

supersteve posted:

which one? i like this one, fwiw:

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Charging-Premium-Compatible-Nightstand/dp/B0109I9W24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

supersteve posted:

I like it a lot, even considering getting one for the fiancé

• Locked thread