Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

Picked up this bad boy for just under $120 shipped this past week :woop:

Had a 256GB drive but it was getting a wee bit full with all my games, this one's got plenty to go and I'm repurposing the 256GB for a PC I'm building for my dad :)

I'm so paranoid about mushkin because one week while I was on vacation a 256gb model in one of the work pc's "died" and the guys had to replace it while I was away. When I got back I hooked it up to an external usb enclosure and it seemed to read/write just fine. I recently swapped it into a used laptop I bought as the system drive and it's been working great for several months, but the whole experience left me not trusting mushkin or my coworkers ever again.

What I bought yesterday was a pretty old Powerslide 3650 slide-scanner, used off craigslist from a photographer. I had heard they were a bit finicky but god drat I spent like 3 hours last night trying to get the thing to work, even bought VueScan pro for $80 which every review had recommended but nothing helped. Finally I got out a Windows XP laptop and that eventually worked with the included software, despite all the specs saying windows 7 should work just fine. Haven't tried VueScan on that one yet. My dad found about a thousand of his parents' old slides so that's what prompted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Coredump posted:

For my fellow coworker:

Oooh, a perplexes I don't have, time to go shopping I think.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Black and Decker cordless vacuum with floor extension kit.

This thing is tiny, weighs nothing and does a surprisingly good job on everything which isn't a deep rug. My house is hardwood and I've cleaned the whole place three times and vacuumed out the car all on one charge.

Only about half as powerful as a regular vacuum, but I don't need that anyway. No more messing about with the drat power cord getting caught on everything or dragging a heavy block on wheels and smacking into everything. Just a tiny unit the size of a handbag, no mess, no fuss.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just scored an i7 (dual core), 1080p T520 for work for $160. It's as new but I have to supply my own SSD.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Just scored an i7 (dual core), 1080p T520 for work for $160. It's as new but I have to supply my own SSD.

Umm... loving sweet! After an SSD that thing should have several years of life left in it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Coredump posted:

For my fellow coworker:

This looks like something I need even though I do not quite know what it is. Link please.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Trastion posted:

This looks like something I need even though I do not quite know what it is. Link please.

It's a ball-bearing obstacle course puzzle thing. You can get it at Amazon here

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
[quote="KingColliwog" post=""454605656"]

This stuff is beyond good. I think I care more about good rum than I care about whisky. Doesn't hurt that for the same price you get rum that is twice as fancy as what you get for whisky. I like a good scotch, but it's way too expensive around here (the rum was 36$, glenlivet 12 or glenfiddich 12 would be 54$ and I think the el dorado is a superior product. A balvenie 12 double wood which I like better than the rum would be 84$ which is ridiculous).
[/quote]

Do you mostly mix fancy rum into cocktails or do you drink it straight/on the rocks?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Coredump posted:

It's a ball-bearing obstacle course puzzle thing. You can get it at Amazon here

Thanks. Ordered one. Should be frustrating.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Trastion posted:

They're nice to have at work because when you get to a mental road-block in a problem you can take a few minutes to do a couple run on the puzzle to distract your brain without zoning out and let answers come to you. Plus it works as an engineer trap.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

El_Elegante posted:

Do you mostly mix fancy rum into cocktails or do you drink it straight/on the rocks?

Straight with a little bit of water most of the time. Cheaper but good quality (think appleton XO not bacardi) works well with an ice cube, but I prefer just a bit of water most of the time (it's still rough though it's not really meant to be drank straight, it's great in an old fashioned though). I plan on trying an old fashioned with the El Dorado 12, but I don't think I'll go much further than that, it's just too good on it's own. Mostly the smell, I just can't get over it.

If I mix I use the Appleton XO which is relatively cheap when you buy the big 1,14 liter bottles. But since it's winter I really like drinking stuff straight.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coredump posted:

They're nice to have at work because when you get to a mental road-block in a problem you can take a few minutes to do a couple run on the puzzle to distract your brain without zoning out and let answers come to you. Plus it works as an engineer trap.

Plus if you just shake it around violently you will end up with a high score!

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Picked one of these up off of craigslist for a goddamn song. drat thing's pretty awesome for how old it is.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Trastion posted:

Mine is ultra frustrating. There's a bit where the forms weren't pressed right creating an unpassable ridge.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Didn't someone post a parts list of a fpv quadcopter they were putting together? I went looking for it and couldn't find it. Any help? I think I wanna try it out.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Coredump posted:

Didn't someone post a parts list of a fpv quadcopter they were putting together? I went looking for it and couldn't find it. Any help? I think I wanna try it out.

You're probably best off looking at the Ready to fly versions before dipping into building, I don't know what your experience is but there are some nice cheap kits for beginner 250 size racers. Replacing and upgrading the inevitable broken parts should be your entry into building in my opinion, poo poo can get really complicated after the initial lego build

Oops that first one wasnt RTF

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-250-FPV-Drone-w-Eachine-I6-2_4G-6CH-Transmitter-7-Inch-32CH-Monitor-HD-Camera-RTF-p-1008942.html

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Jan 8, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

To hold me over until I can afford the $200 machine I want.

Because my dog is a cold wimp

edit: Stupid imgur new format...

djfooboo has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Jan 8, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

djfooboo posted:

Because my dog is a cold wimp

FYI, your links are both broken because you forgot to add ".jpg" or ".png" to the end of them.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

I'm gonna cut so much stuff.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm gonna cut so much stuff.

I have this knife. It is a good knife.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Picked one of these up off of craigslist for a goddamn song. drat thing's pretty awesome for how old it is.

What is this, a proton pack?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fayez Butts posted:

What is this, a proton pack?

What, you don't recognize a $300 vacuum cleaner when you see it? :rolleyes:

Apparently it's for cleaning sensitive electronics

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Our toaster oven broke - the mechanical timer tends to get stuck, resulting in a toaster oven that won't shut off like it is supposed to do.

I ordered this infrared-element Panasonic before realizing it was much too small for what we need:

My bad, ordered this now:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That top one looks 80s as hell.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That top one looks 80s as hell.

At first glance, I thought the top one was an oscilloscope.

I picked up a grain mill for homebrewing so I can buy some of my grain in bulk and also dial in my grains to work best with my system.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

^^ Perfect for all your meat pie grinding needs.

I bought a stabby device! No, not that kind. :ese: This kind.

1 x Vniti FIE Mar. Epee w/: Pistol Grip
L/R Hand Left
Blade Stiffness: Max Stiffness (:dong:)
Guard: German Titanic Epee Guard
Pad: AF Leather Epee Pad
Point: German Epee
Socket: Prieur Epee Socket
Grip: Uhlmann Vis. Pistol #L (Non-Ins.)

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Jan 11, 2016

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I wanted to keep my old laptop running. It's a Vaio from around late 2008-ish. I installed one of these:

and then installed Windows 7 Pro on it. It's running so cool and quiet now.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I heart bacon posted:

I wanted to keep my old laptop running. It's a Vaio from around late 2008-ish. I installed one of these:

and then installed Windows 7 Pro on it. It's running so cool and quiet now.

And faster right?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

colas posted:

And faster right?

Much faster. A little while ago, I upgraded the processor from dual core 2 GHz to 2.6 GHz, also. It was pretty cheap too. The company through in the heat sink gel and also through in another processor (2.2 I think since the sales guy wasn't sure if the 2.6 would work in my machine) Another recent purchase was laminate flooring for our living room and a model kit of the International Space Station.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You upgraded the processor on a laptop?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You upgraded the processor on a laptop?

You bet your rear end I did. Looked up the previous model to get info and matched up a similar one with faster clock speed. It was a peach of cake.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The chip was replaceable though? On a laptop? That is actually kind of weird.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

It took a little time, but it was pretty easy. It wasn't too much unlike pulling a processor off of a desktop to me.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

I believe, every now and then somebody would make a laptop with a desktop CPU in it for performance/cost reasons.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Treated myself to a Corsair K95 RGB Mechanical Keyboard. I actually decided on the K70 but my online store of choice was out - they emailed me to apologise and offered me the k95 instead at no extra charge.
Cherry Brown switches, I think I'm in love.

I'm really, really happy with this keyboard, it's so comfortable to use and not much louder than my old K200 Logitech $10 job. I doubt I'll ever use the additional macro keys.

My only gripes are the keys are a little higher than I'm used to, and the macro keys on the left hand side keep throwing me when I go to alt-tab because I'm used to placing my hand at the edge of my keyboard to easily access those buttons, so I find myself pressing ctrl-G7 instead. I'm sure I''ll get used to it.

Also the pretty lights are cool.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xlevus posted:

I believe, every now and then somebody would make a laptop with a desktop CPU in it for performance/cost reasons.

Yep, this or a good chunk of mobile processors are scaled back and have a different pin/socket configuration. Example, Intel made their Core 2 Duo procs for both desktop and laptop - the desktop variants were the LGA775 socket, but the mobile CPUs had pins and s different socket style. Back in the Athlon XP days people could get an AMD processor made for mobile/laptop, but it had the same socket type as desktop and price was pretty close for both. I built a couple PCs with lower power Athlon XP chips and overclocked the bejesus out of them since they could run at similar speeds to desktop, but on lower power, plus they ran cooler. I miss being able to do that :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

djfooboo posted:

I just bought a cheap mr. coffee one that was on sale

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I, for one, would like to hear from both of you again in like a week or two about how they're performing. I have the world's dumbest little burr grinder that was given to me, and I want to upgrade but similarly I don't know if I need a multi-hundred dollar burr grinder as much as I kind of want one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The $130 Baratza Encore works just fine for almost everything except espresso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Droogie posted:

I, for one, would like to hear from both of you again in like a week or two about how they're performing. I have the world's dumbest little burr grinder that was given to me, and I want to upgrade but similarly I don't know if I need a multi-hundred dollar burr grinder as much as I kind of want one.

I'm no coffee snob but I have this http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW and I think it works better than my parents' cuisinart similar to what that guy posted. I bought it about 2 years ago and it's still working fine. I especially like it because it has a glass cup thing to collect the grounds so it's a lot easier to dump them out without them clumping in the corners or whatever.