Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ohvee posted:

I've been having some crazy bad wakelocks on my nexus 6p. I haven't done a factory reset quite yet, hoping that it was just a temporary thing. There are a couple of anomalies going on here... The missing battery when there was no service and the rapid battery drains going on. That last rapid battery drain doesn't make any sense to me since the phone has been sitting flat on my desk at work for 8 hours. Google Play Services is always way at the top of the battery usage chart and no other apps showing significant battery usage.

https://imgur.com/BIjax7t

Doesn't look like the phone was really awake at all. But those periods of poor signal really sapped a lot of power which is normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

OK Google is a nice thing, but having it in the bar at work with live music playing, it sometimes triggers and starts searching random stuff that it thinks it hears. Kind of lol, but afraid it might start calling random people.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

jfrancis posted:

Check the poweramp settings. It's in headset/bluetooth. Uncheck resume on bluetooth.

John

Yeah I've never had that option checked so definitely not the issue. It's probably something weird with the way Hyundai implemented their Bluetooth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jfrancis posted:

Check the poweramp settings. It's in headset/bluetooth. Uncheck resume on bluetooth.

John

Don't sign your posts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

In case you were wondering why in the past there was a fraction of Facebook app users frothing at their mouthes and plenty of other app users being all like :confused:

It was on purpose. "To test loyality."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10708590/facebook-google-android-app-crash-tests

This almost seems too ridiculous to be true. Almost.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Internet Explorer posted:

This almost seems too ridiculous to be true. Almost.

I would never question FBs commitment to delivering the shittiest user experience possible

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a nexus 5. I bought a second one for my fiancée from swappa and it came with a wireless charger. The wireless charger works with my n5 but not the one I got for her.

They both have glass screen protectors and a diztronic case. Any thoughts on what might cause wireless charging to work with one phone and not the other?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Combat Pretzel posted:

In case you were wondering why in the past there was a fraction of Facebook app users frothing at their mouthes and plenty of other app users being all like :confused:

It was on purpose. "To test loyality."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10708590/facebook-google-android-app-crash-tests

I switched to Face Slim using the F-Droid repository, and it's worked pretty well for the most part. A little wonky with uploading photos, but otherwise not bad.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Massasoit posted:

I have a nexus 5. I bought a second one for my fiancée from swappa and it came with a wireless charger. The wireless charger works with my n5 but not the one I got for her.

They both have glass screen protectors and a diztronic case. Any thoughts on what might cause wireless charging to work with one phone and not the other?

The qi antenna on the back cover probably is just disconnected.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sereri posted:

The qi antenna on the back cover probably is just disconnected.

The charging worked when the case was off. Seems very strange. Same phone, same case, one works with and without case, one works only without case.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Massasoit posted:

Try pressing the back cover in the upper middle on the left till you feel a click

I think that's where it is anyway, been a while since I had to do it to mine

E: guess not then

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
A long shot, but maybe the case is stressing/squeezing the phone in such a way to cause the antenna to come disconnected when it's put on?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'll try the pressing when I get home. Can't hurt to try it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Massasoit posted:

I'll try the pressing when I get home. Can't hurt to try it

Or just remove the back cover and reseat the connector. It comes off easily, just start from the USB hole.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is there an easy way to remove contact photos from all contacts?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The 2014 X has a fairly nice power button, but I only hit it to lock it because the phone is always looking for motion in front of it and turns the screen on. I would not even consider buying a phone without that feature (or the twist camera and shake flashlight for that matter) after getting used to it. If having to hit a lovely button when you pull your phone out annoys you when you, being able to just pull it out and slip your thumb down the face to unlock it would be an orgasmic upgrade.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

jyrka posted:

Is there an easy way to remove contact photos from all contacts?

Maybe Export then Delete All then Import from contacts.google.com?

Not sure exactly how well that would work though. My first instinct is that it would get jacked up somewhere along the way but it's also the only thing I can think of.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Turns out one of the corners was dented and pushed the case off the contracts. A razor blade fixed it up. Wireless charging works now. Thanks for the tip about taking off the back cover, was pretty easy.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Tots posted:

Maybe Export then Delete All then Import from contacts.google.com?

Not sure exactly how well that would work though. My first instinct is that it would get jacked up somewhere along the way but it's also the only thing I can think of.

What I did was delete the massive amounts of contacts I've not used in years(my poor old grandpa died in 2004 and I had his number) and then remove the photos one by one when I had them down to an manageable amount.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Does anybody know of a good app to play local music off of your android phone? I transferred a bunch of my music from my PC to the Music folder in the internal storage of my Nexus 5, but I've been unable to play any of it. The Google Play music app doesn't see any of my songs. I downloaded Rocket Player, and it sees all my music and has the album art and everything, but any time I try to play a song I get a "sorry failed to play" message. Ok, so then I downloaded Orpheus Music Player, and there's an option to import folders into the library, but when I go to the Music folder and hit the + button, nothing seems to happen and none of my music shows up in the library. I've also tried rebooting, clearing the app level cache, clearing the system cache, etc. I figured playing music off of my phone would be straightforward and simple but it's been incredibly frustrating so far.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Should be very straight forward with the Google app. There's even an option specifically to only show local media. Sounds like the music didn't get xferred properly. Try to navigate to it and play it with something like es file explorer.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Poweramp is pretty popular. There's also a public beta with a new engine and material ui at http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F8494-poweramp-alpha-build-700%2F

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

sd6 posted:

Does anybody know of a good app to play local music off of your android phone?

My favorite is Shuttle(/+). Barebones, does exactly what you want and nothing more.

v True, could be an issue with the files themselves, just throwing my favorite into the hat.

I also really wanted to like Rocket Player but it didn't work with Google Now. I'd say "Okay Google, play (song x)" and it would open rocket player and then not do anything. Shuttle, meanwhile, does this perfectly. I use Google Now literally all the time while driving so that's not okay. Would switch if that were fixed. Alas.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Just to be clear though, there's no reason the use case you're describing shouldn't work with the default player.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Quick :tinfoil: question. I just bought my first phone in 6 years and as I've been setting it up, I've found I can't add a phone contact without linking it to a gmail account. Since I'd rather not have every aspect of my existence linked through google, is there any way around this?

Phone is a Motorola G 3rd gen with the android 6.0.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's a Google phone(OS, actually), so not really. If you don't link a gmail account you're really crippling your device, sadly.

It should let you add a contact locally, though, or at least I think so?

edit: if it makes you feel better, Google is kinda like the NSA. They do not give the slightest gently caress what you actually do with your phone (well, except for a very small amount of things, like I guess they care if you use a Google Fi sim in a non-Nexus) and no real person will ever go through the information collected on you. It's just to better target ads. Still a little :tinfoil: but I guess that's the price of living in the modern age.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 7, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I get that everyone's different and you should use your device however you want because it's yours, but if you don't have a hard reason why you don't want to do it other than a general dislike of "the cloud" then I'd recommend giving it a try. It's super convenient for all sorts of reasons and the worst case scenario for me individually is just not very scary.

E: Otherwise, try this: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/24331/add-contact-without-using-google-account

Tots fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 7, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Daily Forecast posted:

It's a Google phone(OS, actually), so not really. If you don't link a gmail account you're really crippling your device, sadly.

It should let you add a contact locally, though, or at least I think so?

edit: if it makes you feel better, Google is kinda like the NSA. They do not give the slightest gently caress what you actually do with your phone (well, except for a very small amount of things, like I guess they care if you use a Google Fi sim in a non-Nexus) and no real person will ever go through the information collected on you. It's just to better target ads. Still a little :tinfoil: but I guess that's the price of living in the modern age.

Also don't worry, even with out you using Google they have all the data about you they'd get if you did since all your friends have you as a contact on their Google account.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Nothing nefarious, just having every aspect of my life being linked creeps me out. I supposed short of getting a burner phone and giving up on all internet social interactions I'll just have to suck it up. :sigh:

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I'd rather Google have my info than the NSA TBH. I have nothing to hide but will encrypt the gently caress out of everything I can out of principal.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Nyyen posted:

Nothing nefarious, just having every aspect of my life being linked creeps me out. I supposed short of getting a burner phone and giving up on all internet social interactions I'll just have to suck it up. :sigh:

Unfortunately for you, as someone mentioned above, it's already happened. You can't do anything to stop it as long as the people you know use these conveniences. It is super convenient though!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nyyen posted:

You could use an iPhone and not use any cloud features then be angry when something happens and you lose all your contacts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nyyen posted:

The thing about Google that I like in this regard is that they're going to have all of this information anyway. They're going to have your web history, your location history, search history, your call log, your contacts, your chatlogs, and your purchase history. They're going to be able to piece that together from aggregate information and tracking cookies regardless. But there are two points to give you hope:

One, at least with Google and their products, that data you give them actually does get used to make your day better. You get traffic alerts in time to take a different route to work without you having to do anything on your work days. When I make a Calendar appointment that happens regularly the details and the mapping fill in automatically. But what you should really be happy about is...

Two, they don't seem to be particularly good at doing anything with that data. I mean, I adblock on the desktop and mobile but I've seen nothing I'd call intrusive or creepy from them in the seven years or so I've been jammed up their rear end in a top hat. As far as I can tell there has been no downside to being tracked in every aspect of my life except that Google sometimes discontinues or changes products I enjoy and leaving the ecosystem has slightly more friction than I'm willing to endure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've heard about a bunch of people who have trouble transiting to the home button and volume buttons being on the back of the LG G-series phones, but I'm having the opposite issue coming from a G2 to a Note 5. I actually feel like having the home button on the back of a phone this big would be helpful; my index finger naturally falls around that position on the back of the phone, but I have to actively stretch to reach the power button and top volume button on my Note 5. That being said, I'm pretty sure having the buttons on the side is worth making the phone significantly thinner than it would be if the button was still on the back.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the display on this Note 5. I haven't been following phone technology in the meanwhile and just remember how back when I got my G2 the competing Galaxy S4's AMOLED screen had far lower brightness than my G2 (which has an IPS LCD). Now that AMOLEDs are just as bright (or at least more than bright enough), it seems like they're pretty much objectively superior to IPS LCDs (unless there's some color-related issue I'm not noticing since I'm color-blind).

Anyways, it is very fascinating and neat to see some bright color with perfect black immediately next to it. I always used to think the blacks on my G2 were plenty dark, but I didn't realize how how much everything "pops" with blacks this dark.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

sd6 posted:

Does anybody know of a good app to play local music off of your android phone? I transferred a bunch of my music from my PC to the Music folder in the internal storage of my Nexus 5, but I've been unable to play any of it. The Google Play music app doesn't see any of my songs. I downloaded Rocket Player, and it sees all my music and has the album art and everything, but any time I try to play a song I get a "sorry failed to play" message. Ok, so then I downloaded Orpheus Music Player, and there's an option to import folders into the library, but when I go to the Music folder and hit the + button, nothing seems to happen and none of my music shows up in the library. I've also tried rebooting, clearing the app level cache, clearing the system cache, etc. I figured playing music off of my phone would be straightforward and simple but it's been incredibly frustrating so far.

Oh ok, I think I *may* have found the problem. When I transferred my music from my PC to my Nexus, I got a popup asking if I wanted to convert the music files, that told me they may not play back properly without the conversion, but didn't say what they would be converted to, so I clicked yes. Now browsing through my Nexus, it seems Windows 10 converted them to WMA files, which don't have standard support in Android. I'm guessing this is the culprit.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Well ok. Another question that I'm not sure belongs here, but not sure where else to put it. I need to get a larger microSD card. I was looking at a 128gb and came across this.

Is that as good a deal as it seems or is it cheap chinese crap?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Nyyen posted:

Well ok. Another question that I'm not sure belongs here, but not sure where else to put it. I need to get a larger microSD card. I was looking at a 128gb and came across this.

It's an unbranded memory card. Take a guess.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nyyen posted:

You get what you pay for.

Honestly, I bought a 128GB SD card and never even filled half of it. Storage you won't use is just a waste. I got a Samsung EVO card and it's been pretty fast and reliable, not to mention that it's gotten a lot cheaper since I bought it a year back.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Even namebrand 128gb microSD cards are usually slow as gently caress compared to sub 64gig cards of the same make.
There are a few exceptions at the upper end of the price range that still promise u3 speed at that capacity (Lexar 1000x and Samsung Pro+).

Oh, also an unbranded 128gig card sub $25 is almost guaranteed to be a much smaller chip with a spoofed capacity that will corrupt itself if you actually try to copy anywhere near 128gigs to it.

Nill fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Nyyen posted:

It's fake. http://www.happybison.com/reviews/how-to-check-and-spot-fake-micro-sd-card-8/

If you already ordered it, run this on it when it arrives: http://mympx.org/Downloads/p13_sectionid/2/p13_fileid/13

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 7, 2016