Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

I think Cormac McCarthy is overrated, and is so beloved on the internet because he takes basic genre plots and writes them pretentiously, which makes nerds feel super smart for reading them

That's kind of McCarthy's point though, he forces the mythology of the American west into a violent confrontation with the actual nihilism of poverty and violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Aw gently caress all this time I thought Piers Anthony and Piers Morgan were the same person.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This argument is facile because it's based on the assumption that nerds need a reason to feel smugly superior. All of nerd culture is based around posturing about how other culture is lesser.

To keep this on track, Ready Player One is the greatest book ever written.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i;m glad this thread turned into yet another genrefic thread. good work, guys

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blue squares posted:

but I read 120 pages last night and I like it.

yeah, the first 3 or 4 books are decently entertaining fantasy. but it goes way downhill. I read it in college many years ago when I had much more of a tolerance for crap genre fiction than I do now, and even then I gave up around book 9 or 10. It gets very bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

i;m glad this thread turned into yet another genrefic thread. good work, guys

I still got your back bro

Reading The Neapolitan Series right now

its. p good

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

its. p good

Cool! Are the other books as good as the first one?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

its. p good

that was ferrante, right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Moacher posted:

I think in the future if I feel like reading something Cormac McCarthy-esque I'll just read Cormac McCarthy instead, since this was very similar but less polished and less satisfying in the end. I'll probably at least check out Legends of a Suicide and maybe Aquarium though, since they seem to be Vann's highest rated works and don't sound like more of the same South-Western setting, and I definitely liked Vann's writing more than I found fault with it.

Aquarium is really good

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ulvir posted:

that was ferrante, right?

Yeah. The concluding one just came out last year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Cool! Are the other books as good as the first one?

Dunno, still on the first one.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The last book is kind of predictable. I would have preferred to see an ending where The Dark One conquers Napoli

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Well, I finished Moby Dick on Sunday. I read every word of it, and I loved every word of it. I'd say the "digressive" chapters were the best parts

That's always the case, it's like that quote from Tristram Shandy where he says that digression is the soul of reading.

anyway, I am reading Miracle of the Rose by Jean Genet, and it's very good, beautifully written poetic sentences about prisons, homosexuality, death, beauty, etc.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

blue squares posted:

I think Shakespeare is overrated, and is so beloved on the internet because he takes basic genre plots and writes them pretentiously, which makes nerds feel super smart for reading them

I hope you realize that Cormac McCarthy has devoted readers outside of the Something Awful forums. Some of them are even educated! Reading The Crossing in particular might give you more complete view of the rest of his work. I'll just turn it over to Dianne Luce because :effort:

quote:

The Crossing focuses on the course of life, sequential and linear, causative, perhaps fated and yet surprising, as narrative plot—as story. And McCarthy is concerned with the role or function of story in human experience of life, not only our own stories, our autobiographies, but our biographies of others, our witnessing. These concerns are manifested in the folk ballad or corrido (literally, the running or the flowing) associated with Boyd, and in the many stories told Billy by the people whose paths cross his on his journeys in Mexico...

The Crossing is indeed a matrix of intersecting stories, partial or complete, often competing, with varying relationships to truth, cutting across and interwoven with the apparently simple linearity of the road narrative of Billy's life. The novel suggests alternately that the events of his life flow in a continuous thread from the hands of the weaver god or that they come to him seemingly by chance in the course of the road he runs, or through some logic of the road itself.

"It's really about determinism and the limits of human will to affect events" might seem like an awfully broad justification for all kinds of [stuffy British accent] genre fiction, but humans have been grappling with that theme at least as far back as Job. You don't need a straight-up poetic dialogue with the One True God to address theodicean questions. There's a lot more to even thrillers like No Country for Old Men than highfalutin prose.

Speaking of which,

Rabbit Hill posted:

quote:

He saw God's foot upon the treadle of the loom, and spoke it; and therefore his shipmates called him mad. So man's insanity is heaven's sense; and wandering from all mortal reason, man comes at last to that celestial thought, which, to reason, is absurd and frantic; and weal or woe, feels then uncompromised, indifferent as his God.

Goddamn I love this passage. Pip, the "brilliant" little negro boy, falls overboard and is nearly drowned in pursuit of the whale. He goes crazy as a result of his near-death experience:

quote:

...from that hour the little negro went about the deck an idiot; such, at least, they said he was. The sea had jeeringly kept his finite body up, but drowned the infinite of his soul.

This directly parallels the passage in Job where God lays out His creation, including the monster Leviathan, to demonstrate the limits of man's comprehension and show that simplistic just-world theology is inconsistent with a greater divine purpose. Except in Job, the experience was reassuring—Job came back from his tour of Creation secure in the knowledge that God knew what He was doing, even if he couldn't quite understand it. Pip, on the other hand, is offered a glimpse of a greater purpose, and it drives him insane. In Melville's version, God is a lunatic.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ishmael posted:

To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme.

I'm currently on my first read-through of Moby Dick and I've only got about 100 pages left. Even though I enjoy the "digressive" chapters, I'd be lying if I said I was sad that there aren't any more (judging by the table of contents at least).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I listened to the A Brief History of Seven Killings audiobook on a recommendation from this thread (I think). It was wonderful--I definitely recommend it over reading it, assuming you're open to audiobooks--and made my new long commute so much more bearable

Are there other particularly excellent literature audiobooks are out there? Trying to find something by browsing through audible/iBooks is pretty fruitless so far

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

TheQat posted:

Are there other particularly excellent literature audiobooks are out there? Trying to find something by browsing through audible/iBooks is pretty fruitless so far

Go Tell it On the Mountain by James Baldwin
Breath by Tim Winton
Colin Firth's reading of The End of the Affair

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheQat posted:

Breakfast of Champions narrated by John Malkovich

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I'm reading Homer's Illiad. Well, trying to. It's hard to keep track of who everyone is and the second book nearly sent me to sleep. I have been assured that it gets better halfway through though. I will read book three and four tonight.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

just finished houellebecq's The Map and the Territory and the one of the main things i got from it is that houellebecq has a very high opinion of himself

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i did enjoy jed martin's spergin oblivious contempt of other human beings, though

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

V. Illych L. posted:

just finished houellebecq's The Map and the Territory and the one of the main things i got from it is that houellebecq has a very high opinion of himself

I have that impression, too, and that's why I haven't read any of his books yet. I want to give him a go this year, though. Which one should I start with?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

High Warlord Zog posted:

Go Tell it On the Mountain by James Baldwin
Breath by Tim Winton
Colin Firth's reading of The End of the Affair

at the date posted:

Breakfast of Champions narrated by John Malkovich

Thanks. Starting with Breakfast of Champions this morning. I had not read it and it is great so far

If anyone else has any audiobook recs, please don't hold back!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Other authors I want to finally read this year: Bernhard, Sebald, Waugh, Lispector, Ferrante, Mahfouz and Bellow.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Burning Rain posted:

I have that impression, too, and that's why I haven't read any of his books yet. I want to give him a go this year, though. Which one should I start with?

map and territory is p good imo. i haven't read submission yet, and am not convinced i want to. the elementary particles or whatever it's called in english is ok, but map and territory is better

he does some clever, funny & cool things in it, including turning it into a police procedural two-thirds in

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

my first book of his was Submission. It was alright enough.

V. Illych L. posted:

i haven't read submission yet, and am not convinced i want to.

why? just out of curiosity, that is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

my first book of his was Submission. It was alright enough.

There has been a lot of backlash in the US at least about his depictions towards Muslims in the book.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Apropos of nothing, I'm reading Charles Darwin's autobiography, and there's one part where he's talking about his literary tastes and says something akin to "No novel can be called good if it doesn't have a character you can't thoroughly love". As someone who couldn't fully get into Hopscotch because all the characters were dicks, I have to agree. :kiddo:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't think characters have to be likeable, they just have to be interesting. I'm not reading to make a friend; I certainly wouldn't want to spend time with Humbert Humbert but I enjoyed Lolita.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

V. Illych L. posted:

map and territory is p good imo. i haven't read submission yet, and am not convinced i want to. the elementary particles or whatever it's called in english is ok, but map and territory is better

he does some clever, funny & cool things in it, including turning it into a police procedural two-thirds in

yea, map & territory was the one i was leaning towards, thanks!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Burning Rain posted:

Other authors I want to finally read this year: Bernhard, Sebald, Waugh, Lispector, Ferrante, Mahfouz and Bellow.

Sebald owns so much. I think I read four of his novels last year.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There has been a lot of backlash in the US at least about his depictions towards Muslims in the book.

if its any similar to the reactions here in europe, then its blown way out of proportion, imo

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaro posted:

Apropos of nothing, I'm reading Charles Darwin's autobiography, and there's one part where he's talking about his literary tastes and says something akin to "No novel can be called good if it doesn't have a character you can't thoroughly love". As someone who couldn't fully get into Hopscotch because all the characters were dicks, I have to agree. :kiddo:

I would say that, in general, the books I love best have characters I love. More generally than that, it's hard for me to stick with a book without a character who doesn't capture me in some way -- like, I don't thoroughly love Judge Holden in Blood Meridian (that seems like a metaphysical impossibility), but his character is certainly one of the main reasons I love Blood Meridian.

But then there's Graham Greene, of whose works I've read at least 6-7, and each one populated with deeply unpleasant people.....but Greene's plots, themes, prose, etc., are all so profound and dexterously handled that it just doesn't matter that I don't like anybody he writes about. (Seriously, not one single character of his is anything better than prickly and off-putting. Even so, he's one of my favorite writers.) Dostoevsky, too -- does anyone really like Raskolnikov or the Underground Man, and does it even matter?

These authors' great strength, though, is that they tells their stories with such patience and compassion that you don't need to like the characters as people to be invested in them. Dostoevsky ends the first chapter of the Brothers Karamazov with the lines, “In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.” It seems to me that the spirit behind that sentence -- that compassion and patience with human weakness -- is infused in all of Dostoevsky's writing, and it's what allows us to care about what befalls all his characters.

Except Aglaya in The Idiot. She can gently caress right off.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pentaro posted:

Looks like Darwin had some dumb as hell lit opinions

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

houellebeqc has some severely apocalyptic tendencies where he essentially casts himself as a prophet warning of the decline of society into weakness/hedonism/nihilism. the central motif of submission is the loving front national as the sole salvation against this, in the form of the muslim brotherhood (which is itself a basically malign foreign entity aided and abetted by the Weak forces of "decent" france)

from reading synopses and reviews i get the impression that it's pretty much a fascist novel - the culmination of civilisation is a kind of cathartic struggle, the sincere and wholesale adoption of some sublime aesthetic &c for which modern France is too weak and decadent. these are themes that he flirts with in the other books i've read, but making it explicit like that seems terribly distasteful

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

One of Vonnegut's rules of writing was "Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for." While I'm sure that's still not necessary for some people, I definitely agree with that more than thoroughly loving a character, which is pretty facile.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A human heart posted:

Looks like Darwin had some dumb as hell lit opinions

Dude should really stick to turtles.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

blue squares posted:

I think Cormac McCarthy is overrated, and is so beloved on the internet because he takes basic genre plots and writes them pretentiously, which makes nerds feel super smart for reading them

You hit the nail on the head, Blood Meridian is basically a glorified Piccadilly Cowboy Western

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rabbit Hill posted:

But then there's Graham Greene, of whose works I've read at least 6-7, and each one populated with deeply unpleasant people.....but Greene's plots, themes, prose, etc., are all so profound and dexterously handled that it just doesn't matter that I don't like anybody he writes about. (Seriously, not one single character of his is anything better than prickly and off-putting. Even so, he's one of my favorite writers.)

Have you read Our Man In Havana, cause with the obvious exception of the loathsome Batista-era policeman most of the characters in that are relatively likeable in a dim-witted sort of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I got some books for Christmas.