Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Enfys posted:

It's so pretty :stare:

I like how the person filming is just like "nope"

And when the fire gets huge, the guy still thinks she has a chance of putting it out. Thank god they didn't accidentally catch on fire (you can see the pump dribbling fire near the end).

Nude fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
You'd think it would be safer to just risk overspill onto the concrete rather than trying to see into a fuel tank with a lighter but welp

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If a dashcam gif has a Cyrillic watermark you know you've just made a pro click

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Don't check your gas level with a lighter.

http://i.imgur.com/b4eF3fl.webm

Holy poo poo, that is what she's doing?!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What does it even mean? I can't imagine why you would do that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The pump handle is probably blocking light from getting to the hole, so she in her infinite wisdom figured that the best way to check if the gas was nearing the top was to use her lighter as a light source. Instead of like, her cell phone. Or checking the meter. Or just waiting for the pump to shut itself off as all gas pumps do when the tank is full by design.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Life and death of an excavator, a play in one act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3tF5gCBv-Y

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do pumps in russia not cut off automatically from the back pressure? I've never heard of someone looking in their tank to see if it was full.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

CJacobs posted:

Or just waiting for the pump to shut itself off as all gas pumps do when the tank is full by design.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do pumps in russia not cut off automatically from the back pressure? I've never heard of someone looking in their tank to see if it was full.

As someone who's directly experienced this, older pumps or broken pumps won't always have this feature and its a fun surprise when gasoline starts splashing all over the ground and onto your shoes/pants. normally they should cut off or the sign should warn you to underfill if that pump is splashing back

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do pumps in russia not cut off automatically from the back pressure?

I've had pumps fail to cut of a couple times on me. Luckily I stand there the whole time I'm filling up and was able to cut it off before too much gasoline poured out on the ground.

Now I listen and cut it off manually when I hear it fill up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it seems like even if it's broken, there's lots of other ways to go that don't involve setting it on fire. (And I've been sprayed by a broken pump before as well. Not fun.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Or just waiting for the pump to shut itself off as all gas pumps do when the tank is full by design.

i used to think this too until my gf's tank overflowed and i got gas all over my shoes so i guess it's something that's in the car rather than the pump and it can break/not be installed

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Oh, hmm. Weird. I didn't think this was possible.

CJacobs posted:

The pump handle is probably blocking light from getting to the hole, so she in her infinite wisdom figured that the best way to check if the gas was nearing the top was to use her lighter as a light source. Instead of like, her cell phone. Or checking the meter. Or just waiting for the pump to shut itself off as all gas pumps do when the tank is full by design.

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure most, if not all, modern pumps stop automatically when they reach the top. Plus, in my experience, there's really no way to see inside your tank. This is just exceedingly dumb.

Also, most gas stations I've been to have big signs that explicitly say no cigarettes, matches or lighters, so I'm not sure why she thought this was a good idea.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I once had a candle lit next to a can of aerosol spray, like Pam cooking spray or something.

I realized "oh, this is what they are talking about."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

i used to think this too until my gf's tank overflowed and i got gas all over my shoes so i guess it's something that's in the car rather than the pump and it can break/not be installed

It's in the pump handle, but it's actually a fairly complicated (and ingenious) design. Like everything mechanical, it sometimes breaks.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-gas-pump-lever-automatically-detect-when-to-stop

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i've never had gas spill on my shoes due to a faulty pump. not living in a 3rd world country is nice sometimes

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spacetoaster posted:

I've had pumps fail to cut of a couple times on me. Luckily I stand there the whole time I'm filling up and was able to cut it off before too much gasoline poured out on the ground.

Now I listen and cut it off manually when I hear it fill up.

I've once had a pump piss out gas from the connection between the hose and the handle. It was late, the station itself was closed (pumps were running and I could pay with credit), and I was in desperate need of gas, so I just filled up and left a small puddle of gas on the ground. Then I peed on the building because I really had to go and was kind of angry about the busted connector.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Petrol nozzles have a little tube thing inside called a venturi, which is a narrowing that creates a vacuum from the speed and pressure of the petrol passing through it. There's also a little hole in the nozzle for a tube that runs back up to the pump. While you're filling, the vacuum pressure from the venturi sends air up the tube that leads to the pump. Once the tank fills and petrol covers the little hole in the nozzle, the air going up the tube is blocked off. The vacuum pressure builds in the nozzle instead, triggering the lever that pops the handle and cuts off the flow.

edit: efb, guess that's what happens when forgetting to hit post

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

The incredibly dramatic disappearance of the excavator as it slowly sinks is beautiful. It should have a moving musical score to go along with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Enfys posted:

The incredibly dramatic disappearance of the excavator as it slowly sinks is beautiful. It should have a moving musical score to go along with it.

As the last guy bailed out the excavator whispered to him "I know now why you cry".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was like the end of that Terminator movie

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMnWNtRGo2k

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
don't miss when the operator smacks the guy in the white shirt with the shovel at 1:50

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Also at 2:29 when the machine tries to bury its former operator under one last bucket of earth.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The excavator displayed all the stages of grief.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BANME.sh posted:

i've never had gas spill on my shoes due to a faulty pump. not living in a 3rd world country is nice sometimes

California is the worst.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

BANME.sh posted:

don't miss when the operator smacks the guy in the white shirt with the shovel at 1:50

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=-3tF5gCBv-Y&video_start=76&audio=qMnWNtRGo2k&audio_start=0

"Goodbye."

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

JB50 posted:

Just fall down those stairs and sue the landlord.

Now YOURE the landlord.

Wouldn't a phone call to the local code enforcement office do the trick?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Wouldn't a phone call to the local code enforcement office do the trick?

What are they gonna do make a set of stairs for you? Make the landlord build some stairs on the spot? Fine him?

Now you still dont have proper stairs and your landlord is REALLY mad at you, and he can make your life a living hell.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Think of it as crime prevention. Just have pull-up stairs to your balcony and only lower them when needed like a draw bridge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In addition to the venturi valve arrangement in the pump, your car also has a vapor return tube that runs from the top of the gas tank to just inside the cap of the main fill tube*. The vapor return tube allows air to escape from the tank as you add gas - without it, air would have to flow back up the fill tube, bubbling up through the flow of gasoline. That doesn't work too well, so if the vapor return tube is blocked (or missing), the gas pump will keep shutting off as airflow gets cut off from the end of the nozzle by splashing backwash of gas.

e. Here's an example:

To get around the problem, you pull the pump nozzle partway out of the tank. I think you can see the russian lady doing exactly that while pumping; she hasn't got the nozzle snug against her fill tube, which is how she winds up lighting the vapor in the first place. If it was snug, she wouldn't be able to look down the fill tube, the pump nozzle would be in the way.

So my guess is her lovely russian car has a blocked vapor return tube, or doesn't have one at all. Maybe it's blocked by frozen slush in the wintery nightmare of siberia. She's got the gas flowing, pulled the nozzle out slightly, but knows that it will overflow since without a tight seal against the fill tube the shutoff system doesn't work.

Note that a second reason for the venturi pump system is that it allows the escaping gasoline vapor coming from the gas tank to be recaptured, rather than venting it to atmosphere. It's more environmentally friendly that way, although I have to imagine the total amount of unburned gas vapor escaping into the atmosphere if we didn't recapture it would be insignificant compared to, say, the pollution caused by drivers who drive an extra mile out of their way to save one penny a gallon on gasoline.

* a small exhaust port right below the main port, yes indeed

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 6, 2016

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Just leave it there for a few decades, and let some kids have a real life Donkegin adventure

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Leperflesh posted:

Note that a second reason for the venturi pump system is that it allows the escaping gasoline vapor coming from the gas tank to be recaptured, rather than venting it to atmosphere. It's more environmentally friendly that way, although I have to imagine the total amount of unburned gas vapor escaping into the atmosphere if we didn't recapture it would be insignificant compared to, say, the pollution caused by drivers who drive an extra mile out of their way to save one penny a gallon on gasoline.
I don't know exactly how I'd source the claim, but I remember hearing that gas pump vapor return was one of the cornerstones of desmoggifying LA. It doesn't take a lot of VOC's to stir up an asthmatic's nightmare when the temperature is always above 90F.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

BANME.sh posted:

Having used a pump without an automatic cutoff many times (farm boy), it's not hard just to use sound. Like filling a glass of water in the dark. You hear that rapid rise in pitch and you stop. Of course, we also used to fill up combines that had fuel tanks higher than the nurse tank. You'd just pump by hand until gas ran down onto your back to let you know when it's filled. Not pleasant and burns like hell. In retrospect, that was probably a significant fire hazard in that the engine was always running when filling.

I'm lucky to be alive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mostlygray posted:

Having used a pump without an automatic cutoff many times (farm boy), it's not hard just to use sound. Like filling a glass of water in the dark. You hear that rapid rise in pitch and you stop. Of course, we also used to fill up combines that had fuel tanks higher than the nurse tank. You'd just pump by hand until gas ran down onto your back to let you know when it's filled. Not pleasant and burns like hell. In retrospect, that was probably a significant fire hazard in that the engine was always running when filling.

I'm lucky to be alive.

Grats on your lack of death or massive burn scars!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Fail Army OSHA Edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPPciVYVLIQ

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

All of these are pretty cool, except the one where a guy is filming a woman in a skirt under her desk.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

All of these are pretty cool, except the one where a guy is filming a woman in a skirt under her desk.

Yeah that is more of a HR DOT JAY PEG one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Loving the spider under the mug, though :3:

• Locked thread