Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

sebmojo posted:

can someone do a brief effortpost on how not to suck at assaults?

Training assaults is a fairly simple matter which with respect to rookies and or already mastered a pack of lower weights should be done in the field of combat with mic comms.

Please don't start your tour piloting assaults as you will receive the most positive learning feedback via rolling light and medium in a pack while WE ALL learn how to obliterate assaults.

I became the direwolf pilot that I am today by first learning to work with a pack of 120kph followed by hunting solo assaults and then protected assaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Malarkey! After a long long long hiatus I returned to the game as a scrub newbie, my first purchase was a King Crab. Then I researched builds and asked questions, listened to what to do and what not to do. Then I dropped into games. Had no problems, first few games I was getting 500-600 damage a match.

You all shouldn't discourage newbies from Assaults (or heavies). Page upon pages you guys have been advising on mech builds and tips for the heaviest mechs. Let a newbie buy into them and learn, trial by fire if need be.

On that note, I've become addicted to the marauder and my KGC, CRB and TDR are collecting dust :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's actually really important to drive lights before you do assaults so you can learn the survival & ambush tricks of lights and how to counter them.

Assaults out of position or in a bad place are hosed so you need to try and be predictive when playing :eng101:

I mean by all means go straight for that Atlas/Dire/Mauler but don't cry when a competent light pilot legs you and your team is nowhere to be seen. That's probably on you.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I mean by all means go straight for that Atlas/Dire/Mauler but don't cry when a competent light pilot legs you and your team is nowhere to be seen. That's probably on you.

That's what I'm saying. If you want to play an assault, play it. But do some studying before you dive in. If you've played any other damage based team oriented game (WoT, WT, AW, etc) you should know not to push on your own.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seeing that centurion build fills me with trepidation. Sure, large lasers have greater utility over a wider range band, but I think this CN9-AL might be better. Certainly it's more durable.

Also, I'm putting SRMs on all the things now.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Join a goon queue with Randy, suicide at the start of the game, and study his Daishi play.

The one true Direwolf build is 2 Gauss, 2 LPL, 3 ML.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Assaults out of position or in a bad place are hosed so you need to try and be predictive when playing :eng101:

more metal scraps for my huggin!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Play whatever mechs you want, but it definitely helps your understanding of the game to have a mixed stable so you can feel how each weight class plays differently.

Those games I get with 5 kills and 800 damage in a firestarter? I'm killing people who straight up bought a Dire Wolf because its the 'biggest and best' and they have no contextual knowledge of how much of an Achilles heel its lack of mobility is.

Also its possible to just get bored of being a mobile turret and the best cure for that is to zip around the map at 150km/h shooting people in the butt and running away.

Ps. The Timber Wolf remains the optimal combination of speed, protection and firepower. I never get bored of driving mine.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 6, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pubbing a King Crab is asking for you to have cheaters come for your butt meat

However four ac5s on a big block of gently caress you armor is a great push Bot

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pub matches seem to always run into WWI recreations with big mechs where everyone just bunkers up and takes pot shots at each other

It's the worst (unless you're a light, then it's the best)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pub matches seem to always run into WWI recreations with big mechs where everyone just bunkers up and takes pot shots at each other

There are only two options for pub matches - WWI Simulator or "Everyone Be John McClane"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Willfrey posted:

The one true Direwolf build is 2 Gauss, 2 LPL, 3 ML.

Yeah maybe before Gauss sucked.

Now it's 2 UAC10 3 UAC5, all hail the dakkawolf.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
speaking of gauss

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/684604596233240576

CD reduced by a half-second

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is the assaults job to break.

Nothing ruins a pack of pubbies day while they are hard at work wearing down their W and S keys behind some cover wub wubbing more than an Atlas D-DC or S marching around a corner with a direwolf and the rest of his team behind. He doesn't wear out his S key, he leaves a stack of quarters on W and just loving goes.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
To comment on the big slow assaults, I've played most of my games in big slow turds. Having crazy map awareness is the hardest skill to build and most important since you aren't easily going to reposition. In quick match you have to feel out your team and really try to read what they are doing. Reading the red team will get you kills, reading your own team will keep you alive.

I have about a 3:1 KDR on Misery, and a 2:1 KDR in my Ghost Dad.

Everyone is right in saying that if you have mastered a light chassis you probably know enough of the butt shooting to protect your own butt in an assault.

The hardest thing for is remembering that there is no going backwards in the big fatty and to always push as a team as soon as soon as that sweet window of opportunity opens. You are the flank deny as well as the damage multiplier when you get into an engagement. The mediums and heavy mechs are there to help push and pull with you. The fast mechs can hit and run. You drive forward when you feel you're supported enough.

And above all else, just like a light mech. Your 100 ton can opener will fall apart if your team falls apart.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

can someone do a brief effortpost on how not to suck at assaults?

First and foremost, do NOT drop alone.

Make sure someone always has your back.

Recognize that you most likely are going to die first.

It's absolutely important you learn spatial awareness or you are going to get stuck on a part of the map or a teammate and die while trying to get into cover.

Learn to loving torso twist. Mastering the art of the torso twist will make even the AS7-RS an unmurderable killbeast of ye ole Lovecraftian legends of lore.

Not every assault is made equally. If you drop with a Daishi, don't be surprised when everyone leaves your slow rear end behind. Learn to position with it and you can murderize anything until it comes right up to you. Torso twisting won't help you in that mech.

Recognize that Awesomes are bad. No matter what drugs Commoners is on, Awesomes are bad.

If your assault build doesn't have full armor, you are doing it loving wrong. Don't listen to these shitbirds who tell you it's okay to take armor off your back. They've never been beset by a horde of angry Arctic Cheaters.

It's okay and encouraged to dump all your ammo in your legs or CT or head if you're an IS assault. The Atlas carries more armor on its leg than some mechs have total.

Learn to loving manage heat because the margins are even slimmer in assault mechs since everyone is going to boat the hardest hitting weapons. Shutting down in the middle of a push or pitched battle is not how you want to end your match, and the other team WILL take advantage of it.

XL engines are bad in Assaults. Don't be a bad and do this. Alternatively, be a bad and do this if you want to troll your team by how bad you are.

Some mechs, like the Highlander, are going to be slow no matter what engine you put in it. That doesn't necessarily make them bad, you're just going to get to the fight long after everyone else has started collecting social security.

Use SRM 4s over 6s for tighter spreads and quicker refreshes. People will bitch and moan over how you choose to build your mech, but they're not the one piloting a 100ton "Kill Me!" sign. 4xSRM 4s offer way more pinpoint damage and it's way more effective than your SRM 6s spreading out to hit every part of the mech ever.

Gauss and PPCs are for bads. Don't waste your crit slots on these.

It's not a bad idea to put a jumpset or two on any assault that can carry one, but keep in mind that in some mechs, their JJs weigh one or two tons that can otherwise go to ammo, another Medium Laser, or space for another heatsink.

Don't buy the Gargoyle.

Bracket build Assaults are bad, don't do this. You're wasting tonnage that could go to someone who could be a better Assault pilot. If you insist on wanting to be a sniper assault, at least do it with a dakka build so you're not completely useless in a brawl.

LRMs are bad. Don't do this. On any mech.

If you don't have a camo scheme that isn't a vomit whirlwind of colors that will make pubbies sick looking at you, you are doing it wrong.

Learn the hardpoints of your Assault mech, because this will be invaluable on uneven terrain. I cannot tell you how many times I've had shots go into the a lopsided hill or wall because of how low slung the Atlas' arms are. If you think your shot will be blocked, don't waste your heat otherwise because it probably will be.

Avoid builds that are asymmetrical. Even if you're the god of torso twisting, your LT / LA centric loadout is only going to last so long before the pubbies wise up and focus it down.

Don't get angry if you're immediately killed. You're literally the avatar of death on the field and this will cause the other team to try to get rid of you ASAP. It's a fact of Assault piloting life and sometimes you will die in vain simply because they had their poo poo together enough to take you down quick.

Command consoles, BAP, TAG, CASE, etc are useless on Assault mechs. Don't waste crit slots on these. Right now there is only one Assault that can use ECM, the Atlas D-DC. Do waste crit slots on that.

Above all, just have fun. Playing an assault is literally the most perfect feeling of piloting an 100ton lumbering death robot. You have more armor than Oprah's rear end and you have more weaponry than North Korea's entire army. Just be chill with chillbros and kill pubs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Skoll posted:

Use SRM 4s over 6s for tighter spreads and quicker refreshes.

Is this valid for every weight class/even for Clan? Wondering if I should switch my splatcrow to ASRM4s instead of 6s.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is this valid for every weight class/even for Clan? Wondering if I should switch my splatcrow to ASRM4s instead of 6s.

Most of my Clan builds are laser or dakka based, but it wouldn't hurt to test out.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

This is a good post.

I do however take srm6s over the 4s in assault mechs since Artemis ensures the nuke if I hit a medium or light.

The run the 4s and 2s on lights to keep accuracy. Only caveat to that is the hunchback 4SP since its quirks turn the SRM6 into a machine gun.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 6, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

My atlas has an ac20

And four srm6 with Artemis

Popping around a corner sure breaks gridlock I tell you what

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The atlas is a good mech if you want to learn assault mechs I feel in my limited time

Soak damage, fast enough, can murder well, and ghost dad is invaluable

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Update about my computer situation for those who were interested (because I had been talking about it quite a bit the past week):

I am giddy like a schoolgirl. The game is so fluid now! I feel like I can brawl, head shot, and torso twist effortlessly now! I am getting a minimum of 60fps on Viridian Bog. I feel like I have arrived. It's like a night and day difference from my laptop.

What up new computer buddy? I just put mine together last night. I had no loving clue how bad I was stuttering until now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The choice between SRM4 v. SRM6 (both always with artemis in this case) varies between chassis. Atlases always want to take SRM6s because they sync with the AC/20 and play to the Atlas' slow twisting style. Smaller 'mechs like Griffins or the missile Jenner-IIC want to go with SRM4s because of higher DPS and faster twisting

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's completely up to player choice if they want to take SRM 4 or 6 on the Atlas. I like 4s because, once again, you have a way tighter spread on the area you're aiming for. Even with Artemis, your SRM 6 goes the gently caress all over the place and I know for a fact that many people don't obliterate people with one 4xSRM6 salvo as they think they do. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but when it does those mechs are usually half dead already anyway.

For me, I'd rather take that section that I'm aiming for out in one or two SRM 4 salvos than have my SRM 6 salvos pepper the entire side like some kind of autistic shotgun blast. The heat is less and you conserve your ammo better.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I prefer SRM-6s on the Atlas because they have the same cooldown as the AC20, meaning between alphas I am switching which arm to give the prick in front of me who is about to die. Anything that promotes staring at a target is limiting the potential time you could be spreading damage out through torso twisting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

It's completely up to player choice if they want to take SRM 4 or 6 on the Atlas. I like 4s because, once again, you have a way tighter spread on the area you're aiming for. Even with Artemis, your SRM 6 goes the gently caress all over the place and I know for a fact that many people don't obliterate people with one 4xSRM6 salvo as they think they do. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but when it does those mechs are usually half dead already anyway.

For me, I'd rather take that section that I'm aiming for out in one or two SRM 4 salvos than have my SRM 6 salvos pepper the entire side like some kind of autistic shotgun blast. The heat is less and you conserve your ammo better.

I find that at the ranges an Atlas engages at (usually like 150m or less), you can get almost all of your SRMs on a component with 6A's, especially since the SRM buff. But I don't think using 4As is a bad idea.

Kazvall posted:

I prefer SRM-6s on the Atlas because they have the same cooldown as the AC20, meaning between alphas I am switching which arm to give the prick in front of me who is about to die. Anything that promotes staring at a target is limiting the potential time you could be spreading damage out through torso twisting.

Also this. The 6A's sync up better with the AC/20 on the Atlas, which is the most important thing about how one is typically played.

Aside: I bought a Locust-1V because I saw someone using this build and with the cooldown/duration bonuses it is basically a constant LPL stream

LCT-1V

what are the two next-best ones?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

I find that at the ranges an Atlas engages at (usually like 150m or less), you can get almost all of your SRMs on a component with 6A's, especially since the SRM buff. But I don't think using 4As is a bad idea.

Also this. The 6A's sync up better with the AC/20 on the Atlas, which is the most important thing about how one is typically played.

Aside: I bought a Locust-1V because I saw someone using this build and with the cooldown/duration bonuses it is basically a constant LPL stream

LCT-1V

what are the two next-best ones?

gently caress locusts

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The biggest "tip" for piloting an assault is to just play one for hours. I can sit here and talk about situational awareness and poo poo but you only get that through dying over and over. If you're not learning a lesson each time you die, you're not dying hard enough.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

If you like 4's by all means go hog wild, but the spread on 6A's isn't nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. Yes it is larger than the 4, but not large enough that the two extra missiles aren't useful.

edit: I've got a buddy who drives a Locust 1V with that LPL build and he's loving insane in it. A good pilot can make that mech really goddamned mean.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you like 4's by all means go hog wild, but the spread on 6A's isn't nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. Yes it is larger than the 4, but not large enough that the two extra missiles aren't useful.

edit: I've got a buddy who drives a Locust 1V with that LPL build and he's loving insane in it. A good pilot can make that mech really goddamned mean.

They used to be very bad. Now they're not so bad

I did manage about 600 damage in my half-basiced LPL Locust with a well-placed arty strike. also people seem to utterly despise it, so all's the better

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Kazvall posted:

The biggest "tip" for piloting an assault is to just play one for hours. I can sit here and talk about situational awareness and poo poo but you only get that through dying over and over. If you're not learning a lesson each time you die, you're not dying hard enough.

:agreed:

the best teacher is direct experience

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

By the way once you're done getting shot in the rear end a bunch, storm crows are 35% off.

Buy a streak crow and kill those little fuckers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The argument for srm6s vs srm4s is this: can you fit a full complement of ASRM6s (and have enough missile tubes to fire all of the missiles simultaneously) without crippling your loadout? If so, always use those. If not, then SRM4s are probably the right fit. Assaults and heavies looking to pack on SRMs should almost always use 6s. Mediums are a case by case basis. IS lights almost always use smaller. On the clan side, only the Jenner IIC should ever use anything other than clan SRM6s. I'm ignoring the mist lynx because there's no reason to ever use a mist lynx.

ZenVulgarity posted:

By the way once you're done getting shot in the rear end a bunch, storm crows are 35% off.

another good point for you cbill poor goons, even the non-(I)nvasion streakcrow is a fantastic platform for farming spacebuxx.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kazvall posted:

This.

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, the 6A's are literally shotguns. Like Kaz said, it's ok if you're right up in someones face, but don't lie and go, "lol ur wrong about SRM6s cause I've been playing again for all of a week and ur wrong."

Granted, a lot of a mechs weaponry and utility is going to be playstyle, and guess what? Seb asked for advice on how to tryhard an Assault, which is something I almost exclusively do. It's all fine and dandy if you want to have SRM 6s and not be able to make shots while you're closing with the guy you intend to murder, but I like to be able to actually hit them accurately from more than 150m out.

ZenVulgarity posted:

This.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Riyott's build is small pulse for the lolcust which is pretty baller but I think the firestarter or the arctic cheater does that better. The version with medium lasers is loving amazing. Here is a fun vid to watch. The only thing you have to remember is that your lolcust needs to be hot pink for maximum gently caress. It's also interesting to see how 150+ kph breaks the gently caress out of the game. Your rubber banding armor is has a protection rating of over 9000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDt_GhlyINc

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zyphoid posted:

Riyott's build is small pulse for the lolcust which is pretty baller but I think the firestarter or the arctic cheater does that better. The version with medium lasers is loving amazing. Here is a fun vid to watch. The only thing you have to remember is that your lolcust needs to be hot pink for maximum gently caress. It's also interesting to see how 150+ kph breaks the gently caress out of the game. Your rubber banding armor is has a protection rating of over 9000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDt_GhlyINc

oh I like that. I think I'll get that and an ER-Large 50% energy range -1M troll build

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

I might actually refit my godhand/2LPL SCR-Prime into a Streakcrow, because lasers are loving boring and I don't want to have to refit my Splatcrow every time I want to hunt lights.

Unrelated to 'crows: I asked this in mumble a couple of times and got told Jagermech, but what's the mech with the most autocannons? I want something that can fit 6 AC-5s or something silly, and just spew shells at everything. :getin:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I might actually refit my godhand/2LPL SCR-Prime into a Streakcrow, because lasers are loving boring and I don't want to have to refit my Splatcrow every time I want to hunt lights.

Unrelated to 'crows: I asked this in mumble a couple of times and got told Jagermech, but what's the mech with the most autocannons? I want something that can fit 6 AC-5s or something silly, and just spew shells at everything. :getin:

imo the stormcrow runs fast enough that you can splat most lights without the streaks

the crab triple 0 with four ultra acs is fun

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Skoll posted:

This.

No, the 6A's are literally shotguns. Like Kaz said, it's ok if you're right up in someones face, but don't lie and go, "lol ur wrong about SRM6s cause I've been playing again for all of a week and ur wrong."

Granted, a lot of a mechs weaponry and utility is going to be playstyle, and guess what? Seb asked for advice on how to tryhard an Assault, which is something I almost exclusively do. It's all fine and dandy if you want to have SRM 6s and not be able to make shots while you're closing with the guy you intend to murder, but I like to be able to actually hit them accurately from more than 150m out.

This.

I have to agree with Skoll on the SRM front, with the sole exception being space dad. Space Dads up close punch tactics and syncing with AC 20 timing for twisting makes it the best for the sub 100 knock your teeth in game. All other mechs do better with srm 4 due to aforementioned firing rate + lower spread. I like a crow with uac 5 and srm 4+ artemis. Lots of range option, relatively cool and lots of BANG BANG for scaring lights and making people torso twist. Maurader with lasers + 2x srm4+artemis is incredibly fun as well. SRM 4 + Artemis is just better if you are firing out to the end of the range of the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dire Wolf with the right omnipods can fit six CUAC/5s

Once the Mauler comes out for C-bills, the -MX90 can fit six AC/5s if you don't mind going very slow, and five AC/5s for a more reliable build

• Locked thread