Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Red posted:

Can we post/share theories? Especially good ones?

Because I really like https://medium.com/@benostrower/rey-is-a-kenobi-362b5af09849#.dufr56i8i - but if that turns out to be true, that's a fairly big spoiler.

I feel like Rey is almost designed to potentially be anyone's kid. Her turning out to be related to kenobi would be unsatisfying considering she'd have to be his grandaughter from a character we've never met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

hemale in pain posted:

Not exactly a good conversation starter "hey.. I really like clone wars, this cartoonish movie based on a flash gordon comic mimicking the style of a saturday morning serial, because of the deep meaning behind it. Let me show you some still shots and my mspaint diagrams." Not that there's anything wrong with that but I dunno how you could conclude they are good because of it.

A better way to start a conversation would be "hey.. i really like star wars, this hidden fortress ripoff that tacitly supported the vietcong army." Not that there's anything wrong with that, and really that's why Star Wars is great in the first place, same with the PT.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

TFA is poorly constructed regardless of whether you saw the PT or not. Everything about the Death Star shouldn't have been in the movie, and the time spent on Jakku felt like it was skimming a checklist to make sure all the proper elements are flashed on screen.

The Death Star was mentioned a grand total of 3 times; twice in the same scene as a comparative to Starkiller Base, and once as a cute callback to Han and Leia's relationship. I don't think that's excessive

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why is it OK for Star Wars to have a cantina--a thing we have on *gasp* EARTH?! but not a diner?

I think the difference is that the setting (as in the bar itself and its decor) in the cantina scene is pretty unremarkable beyond the fact that it's dingy. The place is defined by its occupants - all the crazy-looking aliens smoking and chattering, the belligerent pair that attack Luke, the mutant-looking bartender kicking out the droids. The diner has aliens in it but the thing that sticks out and defines it is that it's a 1950's diner run by a guy that, despite being a giant four armed alien, is recognizably a Brooklyn greasy spoon proprietor.

euphronius posted:

The new movie had a vulture in the desert which was like the diner in that it was "anachronistic" and jarring. Also you know like the loving abominable snow man in ESB .

I guess you could explain away the vulture in your headcannon as convergent evolution but then why don't you afford the diner the same head cannon.

The diner didn't bother me as much as some people, apparently, but I don't the objection is this literal. It's not that people object because "it makes no sense there would be an earth-style 50s diner in the Star Wars galaxy unless we assume that someone fell through a dimensional warp and opened a Johnny Rockets." It's that such an overt reference to retro pop culture feels incongruous with the (at that time) other four Star Wars films.

And yeah, "dusting crops" and a couple other things arguably fall into the same category but part of a single line said in passing being kind of off is obviously a different degree than when it's the setting and tone of an entire scene.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

I disagree. The death star was rushed, but it served as an interesting concept, and about as integral as the ANH death star or the TPM droid base. It's not necessary but it's not a glaring blemish that makes it more poirly constructed than the first episode of the other trilogies.

It's integral because that's where the bad guys took Rey. It's not even mentioned in the opening crawl (unlike either of the previous Death Stars) and it actively detracts from the original plotline, which was "find Luke".

You could even do a lot of the existing story without the Death Star. Just have Kylo take Rey to some Imperial base, and have Han Solo take Finn over to go get her. It can play out more or less exactly the same.

jivjov posted:

The Death Star was mentioned a grand total of 3 times; twice in the same scene as a comparative to Starkiller Base, and once as a cute callback to Han and Leia's relationship. I don't think that's excessive

Starkiller Base is the new Death Star.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The new movie had a vulture in the desert which was like the diner in that it was "anachronistic" and jarring. Also you know like the loving abominable snow man in ESB .

I guess you could explain away the vulture in your headcannon as convergent evolution but then why don't you afford the diner the same head cannon.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

I disagree. The death star was rushed, but it served as an interesting concept, and about as integral as the ANH death star or the TPM droid base.
Not quite. The main quest in A New Hope is delivering the Death Star plans to the rebels so they can blow it up. The main quest in The Force Awakens is finding Luke Skywalker. Starkiller Base doesn't appear until quite a while into the film, and its destruction is still secondary to finding Luke.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Danger posted:

A better way to start a conversation would be "hey.. i really like star wars, this hidden fortress ripoff that tacitly supported the vietcong army." Not that there's anything wrong with that, and really that's why Star Wars is great in the first place, same with the PT.

Goddamn Lucas must of been such a hippy in the 60s/70s.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could it be that the same environmental and economic pressures which lead to the design of mid century America diners also briefly existed on Coruscant ??? It's possible !

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hulk Krogan posted:

I think the difference is that the setting (as in the bar itself and its decor) in the cantina scene is pretty unremarkable beyond the fact that it's dingy. The place is defined by its occupants - all the crazy-looking aliens smoking and chattering, the belligerent pair that attack Luke, the mutant-looking bartender kicking out the droids. The diner has aliens in it but the thing that sticks out and defines it is that it's a 1950's diner run by a guy that, despite being a giant four armed alien, is recognizably a Brooklyn greasy spoon proprietor.

In what way does Wuher look mutated? He's unshaven and scowly, not mutated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

Starkiller Base is the new Death Star.

Its a new superweapon, but its not a Death Star. You specifically said you did not like the references to the Death Star.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neurolimal posted:

I disagree. The death star was rushed, but it served as an interesting concept, and about as integral as the ANH death star or the TPM droid base.

The Death Star dominates the plot of ANH from the first frame to the last. They story isn't about the Death Star, but the Death Star does set everything in motion. The Starkiller Base is gone within 70 minutes of us learning of its existance, and its the attack on it feels like an afterthought compared to the mission to rescue Rey and all that follows. One could make that criticism against Return of the Jedi as well, but pointing out that they're emulating the weakest element in a better movie isn't really a good excuse.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 6, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Red posted:

There's enough Star Wars content out there for everyone to find something to dislike. :)

I even liked all those absolutely terrible EU books I read as a kid. Coran Horn is my idol.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Its a new superweapon, but its not a Death Star. You specifically said you did not like the references to the Death Star.

It's a Death Star in everything but name only.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Not quite. The main quest in A New Hope is delivering the Death Star plans to the rebels so they can blow it up. The main quest in The Force Awakens is finding Luke Skywalker. Starkiller Base doesn't appear until quite a while into the film, and its destruction is still secondary to finding Luke.

The main quest in TFA is finding someone who can stop the First Order before they cause a new Alderaan-level catastrophe. That is why the latter half of the movie focuses on Starkiller instead if ignoring it to find Luke.

The search was a pre-emptive measure to find someone who has stopped a doomsday weapon multiple times. The search unofficially ends after they find someone capable of stopping the doomsday weapon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

But again, you specifically called out having a problem with the references to the Death Star. You're changing your argument after the fact. If you have issues with Starkiller Base, that's fine, I have my own issues there. But I don't see anything wrong with the comparatives made to the Death Star in the film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

The main quest in TFA is finding someone who can stop the First Order before they cause a new Alderaan-level catastrophe. That is why the latter half of the movie focuses on Starkiller instead if ignoring it to find Luke.

The search was a pre-emptive measure to find someone who has stopped a doomsday weapon multiple times. The search unofficially ends after they find someone capable of stopping the doomsday weapon.

The opening crawl doesn't frame it that way. It's all about The First Order trying to find Luke and destroy him, and Leia trying to find him first. Maybe Max von Sydow's character says something different or whatever but the movie has a much more personal tone than "We're only finding Luke so he can destroy another Death Star".

jivjov posted:

But again, you specifically called out having a problem with the references to the Death Star. You're changing your argument after the fact. If you have issues with Starkiller Base, that's fine, I have my own issues there. But I don't see anything wrong with the comparatives made to the Death Star in the film.

I have called Starkiller Base a Death Star for the entirety of this thread.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

It's no moon that's for sure.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

jivjov posted:

In what way does Wuher look mutated? He's unshaven and scowly, not mutated.

I just looked up a picture and I guess I was confusing him with someone else in the cantina. Maybe the "I've got the death sentence on twelve systems!" guy.

At any rate, I think my point still stands with him being scruffy and scowly (and an anti-droid racist) and not a mutant.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Red posted:

Can we post/share theories? Especially good ones?

Because I really like https://medium.com/@benostrower/rey-is-a-kenobi-362b5af09849#.dufr56i8i - but if that turns out to be true, that's a fairly big spoiler.

I was wondering the exact same thing, especially after my second viewing. I had a lot of similar thoughts on that, but it would be a real paradigm shift, for sure.

The biggest question, however, is who would Obi Wan have procreated with? The only real hint I'm aware of, within the current canon, that he had romantic entanglements is during Clone Wars, when he teams up with Mandalorian Duchess Satine, and apparently they loved one another. Maybe he eventually let himself give in to a woman at some point?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

So you're deliberately being confusing and mucking up actual discussion? Why?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

According to the opening crawl, Leia looking for Luke to "restor[e] peace and justice to the galaxy". That's a much larger project than just stopping the First Order. The discovery of Starkiller Base is an emergency that puts finding Luke on hold until it's taken care of.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

So you're deliberately being confusing and mucking up actual discussion? Why?

The only one being confused is you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

The only one being confused is you.

Starkiller Base ≠ Death Star
Starkiller Base = Superweapon
Death Star = Superweapon
Death Star ≠ Starkiller Base

Hope this helps.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars: Trolls Trolling Trolls Trolling Trolls

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Death Star = Superweapon

Hope this helps.

gently caress Ive been enlightened

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Death Star = Superweapon

Hope this helps.

Now tell me the serial numbers for Finn's whole unit, it's desperately needed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

The opening crawl doesn't frame it that way. It's all about The First Order trying to find Luke and destroy him, and Leia trying to find him first. Maybe Max von Sydow's character says something different or whatever but the movie has a much more personal tone than "We're only finding Luke so he can destroy another Death Star".

Sure, because the FO were gunning for the guy capable of taking out a death star. The rebels, obviously, dont want Luke dead, and this is complimentary to finding someone capable of stopping the threat the Republic does not take seriously. This is why they are putting the map (which is contained by droids who already support the rebels) back together.

This would be made less confusing with the ambassador scene included (although considering the runtime, I understand the decision)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

Now tell me the serial numbers for Finn's whole unit, it's desperately needed.

I don't think they've been listed in any canonical source.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Doronin posted:

I was wondering the exact same thing, especially after my second viewing. I had a lot of similar thoughts on that, but it would be a real paradigm shift, for sure.

The biggest question, however, is who would Obi Wan have procreated with? The only real hint I'm aware of, within the current canon, that he had romantic entanglements is during Clone Wars, when he teams up with Mandalorian Duchess Satine, and apparently they loved one another. Maybe he eventually let himself give in to a woman at some point?

Obi-Wan was loving Padme. Search your feelings, you know it's true.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Death Star = Superweapon

Hope this helps.

We're getting close to peak jivjov here. All we need now is for him to post the technical specs of the different Death Stars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

We're getting close to peak jivjov here. All we need now is for him to post the technical specs of the different Death Stars.

Well, what do you want to know? Although keep in mind that most technical specs will be from Legends and may or may not still be canonical.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Star killer base is the latest and largest Death Star class battle stations.

Complete with snowy forests for evocative light saber fight cinematography.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

Sure, because the FO were gunning for the guy capable of taking out a death star. The rebels, obviously, dont want Luke dead, and this is complimentary to finding someone capable of stopping the threat the Republic does not take seriously. This is why they are putting the map (which is contained by droids who already support the rebels) back together.

This would be made less confusing with the ambassador scene included (although considering the runtime, I understand the decision)

There's no indication in the movie that they want Luke's help specifically because of the Death Star. If it was, they even undermined their point since they destroyed the Giant Death Star fairly easily without Luke's help.

That's why delaying its introduction until the second movie would've been better, since at least we'd spend more than 2 minutes with Luke before the movie ended.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Star killer base is the latest and largest Death Star class battle stations.

Complete with snowy forests for evocative light saber fight cinematography.

It's explicitly not a Death Star, though. Its not even close. The Death Stars were completely artificial constructs, Starkiller is a weapon built into an existing planet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Well, what do you want to know? Although keep in mind that most technical specs will be from Legends and may or may not still be canonical.

Really this post is all I could ask for. Thank you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

Obi-Wan was loving Padme. Search your feelings, you know it's true.

A lady having sex with someone who isn't their weird twiggy control freak boyfriend? Now I know for sure Star Wars is a fantasy series.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

It's explicitly not a Death Star, though. Its not even close. The Death Stars were completely artificial constructs, Starkiller is a weapon built into an existing planet.

Death Star class.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Death Star class.

Do you have any canonical source that refers to the Starkiller Base as a "Death Star-class" anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Do you have any canonical source that refers to the Starkiller Base as a "Death Star-class" anything?

My observations of the movie.

• Locked thread