Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interestingly Saruman in the books is basically Hitler or any 20th century populist leader. He is way toned down in the movies.

Conversely diners in America have never had 4 armed alien cooks, sentient robot servers, and Jedi customers.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Found this randomly on imgur, may be worth discussion.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

Interestingly Saruman in the books is basically Hitler or any 20th century populist leader. He is way toned down in the movies.

Conversely diners in America have never had 4 armed alien cooks, sentient robot servers, and Jedi customers.
Yes, now imagine Peter Jackson gave Saruman brown robes and a toothbrush mustache to really hammer the point home.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

We can't be sure about that last one anymore.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

the trump tutelage posted:

Violating a sense of verisimilitude in a film is as jarring as breaking the fourth wall. The trouble with the Diner was that it was too familiar and too obviously a reference to something outside the film. Lucas could have had Obi-Wan visit the diner-owner in a location that was aesthetically in line with Coruscant, like he did with the trashy neon nightclub. Instead, he sends Obi-Wan to an Earth diner. Someone up-thread compared it to Johnny Rockets and that's about right -- it looks more like a tacky, modern retro-50s restaurant than anything you see in Back to the Future or American Graffiti, let alone actual 1950s America. Exactly what is Dexter Jettster nostalgic for? Was Coruscant briefly the "1950s Planet" location for an original series Star Trek episode?

So you're left asking why this jarring aesthetic choice for the diner and the two most plausible answers is that it either simply tickled Lucas's fancy, or it was a deliberate reference to something concrete like Cnut the Great suggested. In either case, Lucas cracks the Star Wars universe's verisimilitude.

It'd be like Gandalf comparing Sauron to Hitler in Lord of the Rings.

Again, this isn't an actual universe we're looking at. Should Star Wars strive to be a realistic simulation of an alien world? Does any of the stuff you posted actually make it a bad movie? Like, does Funny Games suddenly become poo poo the second the remote control comes out? Was Moonrise Kingdom ruined by that weird narrator dude? Is any movie with a surreal element automatically terrible?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Not saying you dislike something and trying to coach it in the frame of 'oh well it was okay but..." is an age-old internet(and pre-internet) tactic. When you are saying the film has no thematic or creative value and making implications about the creators being bankrupt and uncaring then you do, in fact, dislike the film regardless of what you actually state.
Thing is, I'm not convinced anyone's doing this. It's okay if you disagree with someone, especially over aesthetics. Disagreement doesn't mean there's effort on their part to deceive you and hide their true feelings.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really don't like the field scene where he gets struck by lightning in Moonrise Kingdom. It seems completely extraneous and takes me out of the movie. I think it's in there to cut a little dramatic tension later, establish the kids is invulnerable so you won't worry about him doing in the hurricane and worry only about his emotional well being in a later scene, but that doesn't help at the time. It's just so much farther than all the other magical realism in the movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I always liked Dex's diner. I thought it was a neat reference to 50's diners but with a Star Wars spin.

Also the shiny aesthetic of the PT vs. the dirty, used look of the OT is awesome. Things like Amidala's gaudy ship and the alien art deco look of Coruscant are supposed to contrast with the stark utilitarianism of the Empire and the beat-up look of the Rebels. All that shiny stuff is just a facade covering up the problems of the Republic.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

greatn posted:

Found this randomly on imgur, may be worth discussion.
I don't accept someone becoming both a ghost and a different species. :colbert:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Shanty posted:

Again, this isn't an actual universe we're looking at. Should Star Wars strive to be a realistic simulation of an alien world? Does any of the stuff you posted actually make it a bad movie? Like, does Funny Games suddenly become poo poo the second the remote control comes out? Was Moonrise Kingdom ruined by that weird narrator dude? Is any movie with a surreal element automatically terrible?
Do you understand the concept of verisimilitude?

quote:

Verisimilitude, apart from being a long word that feels really nice to say, is about the appearance of reality or truth. This isn’t absolute reality, but the realty of the world in a film. When someone says, “That wasn’t realistic” about a film, what they probably mean is that it wasn’t realistic within the context of the film; verisimilitude (this is a good thing to correct someone on if you want a punch in the face).

Verisimilitude is enhanced by a filmmaker presenting certain facts and parameters of a film’s reality, then sticking to them. So, if we’re told at the beginning of the film everyone has spaceships and it takes about 40 minutes to get the moon at top speed, you can’t then show them getting to an emergency on Pluto in an hour. This is unrealistic within the context of the film.

If the audience feels confident in the facts and reality of the film world, then they can suspend their disbelief, accept what they’re seeing, and become immersed in the story and world the filmmaker is crafting.
http://gorillafilmonline.com/features/film-stuff-explained/verisimilitude/

Fictional worlds rely on internal rules that ground the reader/audience in a sense of false reality. Breaking those rules betrays the falsity of what you are reading/watching and alienates the audience. That's great if you're Brecht but probably not what Lucas was going for with Star Wars. It's definitely not what I want from a Star Wars film.

e.
"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... was a retro-50s diner."

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 6, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There are obviously just some very different, irreconcilable opinions going on here. Cnut laments the loss of vibrant creativity in Star Wars and then posts something that, to me, looks like something out of a DTV Scooby-Doo movie as evidence of that creativity. Meanwhile, people are posting things and praising them for their restraint and verisimilitude when, I'm sure, to him they look like a muddled brown mess, like something out of a Tactical Realism Shootmans VII game. The gap is so large that neither side can credit the other with genuine intentions.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Is it possible to like all 7 star wars films and not have anything particularly negative to say about any of them??

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Violating a sense of verisimilitude in a film is as jarring as breaking the fourth wall. The trouble with the Diner was that it was too familiar and too obviously a reference to something outside the film. Lucas could have had Obi-Wan visit the diner-owner in a location that was aesthetically in line with Coruscant, like he did with the trashy neon nightclub. Instead, he sends Obi-Wan to an Earth diner. Someone up-thread compared it to Johnny Rockets and that's about right -- it looks more like a tacky, modern retro-50s restaurant than anything you see in Back to the Future or American Graffiti, let alone actual 1950s America. Exactly what is Dexter Jettster nostalgic for? Was Coruscant briefly the "1950s Planet" location for an original series Star Trek episode?

So you're left asking why this jarring aesthetic choice for the diner and the two most plausible answers is that it either simply tickled Lucas's fancy, or it was a deliberate reference to something concrete like Cnut the Great suggested. In either case, Lucas cracks the Star Wars universe's verisimilitude.

It'd be like Gandalf comparing Sauron to Hitler in Lord of the Rings.

Shanty and euphronius basically answered in the way I would've, but I can see where you're coming from.

Neurolimal posted:

PT interpretors hating TFA are made even funnier by the fact that a significant argument in favor of their readings was that it is better to consider the good in a movie than to force oneself into a negative, unenjoyable experience.

How many arguments do they actually believe, and how many were in the name of contrarianism?

I absolutely loved TFA. Why can someone not like TFA and the prequels? Is it only OK if one isn't at all critical of TFA?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

Speaking of forcing opinion onto fact, in my anecdotal experience, less than 4% of the new generation "appreciating practical effects" can even tell the difference between practical effects and CG in Star Wars films.

I, personally, believe that both CGI and practical effects have a place in movies, and even praised Maz as an example of a time where practical effects couldn't have been used for her design, and CGI was wisely used. My belief is more that CGI has been poorly used to export film costs to unionless countries in lieu of fairly paid artists (similar to the recent use of foreign actors to circumvent american acting guilds), resulting in lesser quality films. Your notion that the uppity new generation doesn't understand effects stem from anecdotal examples of practical effects with poor post-production work or CGI with practical bases being misidentified; you are the film equivalent of a middle manager watching a youtube video of a kid being confused by a betamax player.

quote:

They (you?) literally do not know what they (you?) are talking about, turning to one specious explanation after another for why the prequels are inferior. You actually don't need an excuse to dislike the prequels at all, but if you want some better ones, try:

"I prefer stories of heroes triumphing over evil"
"I prefer stories of hope over ones of defeat"
"I enjoyed Anakin's redemption more than his downfall"
"I enjoyed the lived-in/utilitarian look of the OT more"
"I enjoyed the Force as a mysterious power held by a handful of people"

These are obviously all reasons to like TFA more, also. Let go of the idea that your dislike needs to be grounded in "fact"!

When any complaint about the prequels are handwaved away with "that was intentional! You aren't supposed to enjoy the movie!" Of course you will find people trying to delve into factual basis for their critique. It's a result of two contrasting opinions refusing to ignore each other and searching for an objective truth that supports their reading; don't pretend prequel defenders don't do this either, we've both seen enough SMG MsPaints to know otherwise.

quote:

Your other point is a good one: the fact that Sebulba walks on his hands doesn't make it a "good" creature design, and I wasn't implying it was. I was pointing out that insisting on the superiority of practical effects and privileging them in your production design will necessarily limit what you are capable of doing in a movie. You won't see as imaginative creature design in future Star Wars as long as the fan base is tilting at the CG windmill.

And my original point was that limits do not necessarily create inferior work. My second point being that PT defenders are quick to dismiss positive aspects related to TFA that wouldn't have been ignored if the franchise didn't belong to Disney now; this film is just one more skirmish in a continuing battle of the worlds' most limp-wristed war against corporatism ever devised.

On a positive note, that picture of most of the cantina designs brings a great number of intresting references and texts, and I intend to point some out, after breakfast.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Fictional worlds rely on internal rules that ground the reader/audience in a sense of false reality. Breaking those rules betrays the falsity of what you are reading/watching and alienates the audience. That's great if you're Brecht but probably not what Lucas was going for with Star Wars.

The diner doesn't break any rules of the "Star Wars" universe, though, because it's always been a hodge-podge of poo poo from the real world.
As for your second point, now the problem has become "not what Lucas was going for". I mean poor guy I guess but how is that a problem for the film? Let's say it turns out that Brecht's cryogenically preserved head has been pumping out Star Wars scripts from George's basement, does that suddenly change the films?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For me, Joe moviegoer, I think the prequels are movies with a lot of interesting ideas that are short on engaging characters (possibly by design), while TFA is a movie with engaging characters that is short on interesting ideas (also possibly by design).

Serf
May 5, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

Is it possible to like all 7 star wars films and not have anything particularly negative to say about any of them??

I like all 7 Star Wars films, but I can criticize any of them without that compromising my ability to enjoy them. If anything this thread has increased my regard for all the movies, especially posts by Cnut and SMG.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phylodox posted:

There are obviously just some very different, irreconcilable opinions going on here. Cnut laments the loss of vibrant creativity in Star Wars and then posts something that, to me, looks like something out of a DTV Scooby-Doo movie as evidence of that creativity. Meanwhile, people are posting things and praising them for their restraint and verisimilitude when, I'm sure, to him they look like a muddled brown mess, like something out of a Tactical Realism Shootmans VII game. The gap is so large that neither side can credit the other with genuine intentions.

While I think you're mostly right about this (and I genuinely think that it's a neat thing about art), it's mostly interesting to me that people who deign to defend the prequels are treated as if they must be contrarian; it's become such a "known" thing in internet/nerd/pop culture that the prequels are "bad" that to many people the enjoyment of them is laughable to a point where people not only defending but enjoying them must be taking the piss.

Shanty posted:

The diner doesn't break any rules of the "Star Wars" universe, though, because it's always been a hodge-podge of poo poo from the real world.

Exactly. "Jumping through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy". I don't know why Trump Tutelage is giving that a pass presumably because it's in a movie he likes, even though it's also Star Wars. It is precisely as out of place as a 50's diner. Hell, a kid in 2016 is less likely to know dusting crops compared to the imagery of a 50's diner.

Serf posted:

I like all 7 Star Wars films, but I can criticize any of them without that compromising my ability to enjoy them. If anything this thread has increased my regard for all the movies, especially posts by Cnut and SMG.

Totally agreed.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 6, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

No

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Of course. But some folks are afraid to like a movie. It's okay! Like all the movies!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yes Jimmy, but stop stalling and go clean your room, I'm not going to ask you again.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Fictional worlds rely on internal rules that ground the reader/audience in a sense of false reality. Breaking those rules betrays the falsity of what you are reading/watching and alienates the audience. That's great if you're Brecht but probably not what Lucas was going for with Star Wars. It's definitely not what I want from a Star Wars film.

e.
"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... was a retro-50s diner."

Elements are included in a film to make a particular statement or reflection, or to evoke a type of affect. Lucas is a very visual filmmaker and very plainly quoted one of his earlier films (which he very often does) to draw a comparison/contrast to it and it's story. Realizing that setting is a creative work, or calling attention to it's construction, isn't betraying the film. It's an element of the film. Star Wars is a fairy tale for children.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Shanty posted:

Yeah, I really disliked that diner set but I don't see how its any less believable than anything else (for that exact reason).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

This is all well and good, if you are willing to ignore the blatant fact that the vast majority of PT defenders have opposed the film and submitted poor, fact-sparse and strained readings, and a significant number of pro-OT posters have given elaborate and informative readings that are then handwaved away. It's very much a case of two groups segregating themselves to opposing tribes.

TFA is poorly constructed regardless of whether you saw the PT or not. Everything about the Death Star shouldn't have been in the movie, and the time spent on Jakku felt like it was skimming a checklist to make sure all the proper elements are flashed on screen.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Shanty posted:

As for your second point, now the problem has become "not what Lucas was going for". I mean poor guy I guess but how is that a problem for the film? Let's say it turns out that Brecht's cryogenically preserved head has been pumping out Star Wars scripts from George's basement, does that suddenly change the films?
Is there anything in any of the other films that signifies something as obviously pop cultural as the schema of the 1950s American Diner? This wasn't a "hodge-podge of poo poo", or an example of Lucas cribbing iconic imagery from foreign films. This wasn't a location "inspired by" something else, like Boba Fett was inspired by The Man With No Name. It was an explicit retro-50s diner staffed by Star Wars characters.

The only thing I can think of that comes close is also from the prequels, and it's the two commentators for the pod race, where again Lucas just slaps a Star Wars veneer on something that would otherwise be at home in Pitch Perfect or something.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, I really disliked that diner set but I don't see how its any less believable than anything else (for that exact reason).

People are calling it the "50s diner" in this very thread. That's the problem with it. It makes you think of something outside the movie, unlike talking about Maz's castle or the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Personally, I liked the OT but do feel that there are a lot of poor filler moments that are easy to forget but still bog down the movie (ESB has the least of this, and is a genuine classic that deserves its reputation). I like the concepts of the PT and feel it serves well when referenced, but also that the films themselves range from pointless, to very dull, to excruciating, to at best "blatantly flawed"; similar to how it's easy to burn time reading intetesting concepts WRT Warhammer, but the actual material itself is a black pit of despair to read.

I feel that TFA serves a great job of being a modern take on the OT that fondly homages, builds upon, and refines central themes, while also referencing the LT trilogy in a way that enriches the film for PT fans (when one is willing to give it a shot). It isn't perfect (it needs more breathing room, the starkiller is introduced too abruptly, we never become attached to the planets it blows up), but when compared to TPM and ANH it is an incredibly positive first step for the modern trilogy.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 6, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DARPA posted:

People are calling it the "50s diner" in this very thread. That's the problem with it. It makes you think of something outside the movie, unlike talking about Maz's castle or the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Maz's castle is a Cambodian fortress with a bar inside. The Mos Eisley cantina is a dive bar next to the docks in 1960s Brooklyn.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

While I think you're mostly right about this (and I genuinely think that it's a neat thing about art), it's mostly interesting to me that people who deign to defend the prequels are treated as if they must be contrarian; it's become such a "known" thing in internet/nerd/pop culture that the prequels are "bad" that to many people the enjoyment of them is laughable to a point where people not only defending but enjoying them must be taking the piss.

They're really bad movies dude sorry. It's okay to like a bad movie though :) it's just some of the reasons people like it are crazy in-depth examinations looking for hidden subtext and to some people that seems insane.

Not exactly a good conversation starter "hey.. I really like clone wars, this cartoonish movie based on a flash gordon comic mimicking the style of a saturday morning serial, because of the deep meaning behind it. Let me show you some still shots and my mspaint diagrams." Not that there's anything wrong with that but I dunno how you could conclude they are good because of it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DARPA posted:

Why is it OK for Star Wars to have a cantina--a thing we have on *gasp* EARTH?! but not a diner?

hemale in pain posted:

They're really bad movies dude sorry. It's okay to like a bad movie though :) it's just some of the reasons people like it are crazy in-depth examinations looking for hidden subtext and to some people that seems insane.

Not exactly a good conversation starter "hey.. I really like clone wars, this cartoonish movie based on a flash gordon comic mimicking the style of a saturday morning serial, because of the deep meaning behind it. Let me show you some still shots and my mspaint diagrams." Not that there's anything wrong with that but I dunno how you could conclude they are good because of it.

Well, I could be wrong (feel free to check), but "good" and "bad" are subjective and not objective???? For instance, some people don't like coffee, which I find crazy. Coffee tastes good!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why is it OK for Star Wars to have a cantina--a thing we have on *gasp* EARTH?! but not a diner?

It's not sufficiently foreign enough.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

There's enough Star Wars content out there for everyone to find something to dislike. :)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well, I could be wrong (feel free to check), but "good" and "bad" are subjective and not objective???? For instance, some people don't like coffee, which I find crazy. Coffee tastes good!

Those people are loving WRONG dude. No sane human could dislike coffee.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

Those people are loving WRONG dude. No sane human could dislike coffee.

fuckin' a :hfive:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like all the movies but I'm not a Millennial so I still have the capacity for unironic enjoyment.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can we post/share theories? Especially good ones?

Because I really like https://medium.com/@benostrower/rey-is-a-kenobi-362b5af09849#.dufr56i8i - but if that turns out to be true, that's a fairly big spoiler.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's not sufficiently foreign enough.
Maybe.

I've been to Dex's Diner. I've been to dives and greasy spoons, and I've been to the mildly sinister local bar in a remote town that doubles as a community center, but I've never been to the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

TFA is poorly constructed regardless of whether you saw the PT or not. Everything about the Death Star shouldn't have been in the movie, and the time spent on Jakku felt like it was skimming a checklist to make sure all the proper elements are flashed on screen.

I disagree. The death star was rushed, but it served as an interesting concept, and about as integral as the ANH death star or the TPM droid base. It's not necessary but it's not a glaring blemish that makes it more poirly constructed than the first episode of the other trilogies. Jakku itself is something many people here will find many reasons to disagree.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

DARPA posted:

The name of the diner is definitely not memorable, sure.

Just look at the moniker of the Millennium Falcon for a perfect example from the OT- Why would a galaxy far away have falcons? It wouldn't, but does it really matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Red posted:

Can we post/share theories? Especially good ones?

Because I really like https://medium.com/@benostrower/rey-is-a-kenobi-362b5af09849#.dufr56i8i - but if that turns out to be true, that's a fairly big spoiler.

That's possible, but I disagree with the assertion that it matters or really changes how we look at the series as a whole if it's true. It would be a giant "okay cool, whatever." It would just be another tie to the OT for the sake of having another tie to the OT.

• Locked thread