Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

EVE Valkyrie is gonna be on sony's headset right?
i dont need my space combat sim to be super complex i just need to be able to move in any direction i want
and if im remembering right dust514s sin was that it was just generic

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it seems like that guy was right, the oculus is going to be a 3D tv, where the value add will never reach price parity for ordinary consumers, and even tech fetishists will get bored when the new shiny thing comes comes around so it will just kind of fade away

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

they wouldn't eat a loss on the hardware and just gave up their lead to sony because of it

sony isn't going to release a vr headset that works with anything anyone cares about

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
is the person who said that the oculus site would be rock solid busy eating a big ol plate of their words

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What is this forums hard on for tech fails.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

sony isn't going to release a vr headset that works with anything anyone cares about
like the playstation 4, hardly any of those got sold at all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the ps4 is trash for bums

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Bhodi posted:

they wouldn't eat a loss on the hardware and just gave up their lead to sony because of it

they said they are taking a loss on the hardware

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What is this forums hard on for tech fails.

lots of wieners in this forum hate people who are more successful

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

leftist heap posted:

is the person who said that the oculus site would be rock solid busy eating a big ol plate of their words

yeah this was a lot shittier than i thought

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This yak would not die, no matter how many bolts were shot, dwarfs would relentlessly beat on her, or dogs were biting at her.

Her teeth spread across the entire map. Blood stains and vomit everywhere for ages and ages.

It took almost three weeks to kill it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Blackula69 posted:

they said they are taking a loss on the hardware
maybe if you include development costs, retail is still probably double the actual physical hardware price

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

i'm skeptical of that considering the entire thing is custom-built hardware and those screens were probably pretty expensive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Liver Disaster posted:

EVE Valkyrie is gonna be on sony's headset right?
i dont need my space combat sim to be super complex i just need to be able to move in any direction i want
and if im remembering right dust514s sin was that it was just generic
it will be available on sony's and other headsets. dust 514's sin was being babby's first shooter and babb's first console game. mainly the latter, i will be extremely surprised to learn that even half of eve players have consoles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think cheaply mass producing electronics will be a problem for one of the biggest consumer electronics companies on the planet

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://gearvrface.tumblr.com

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Blackula69 posted:

i'm skeptical of that considering the entire thing is custom-built hardware and those screens were probably pretty expensive
Gear VR was $100 so internal non-screen parts for the rift can't be more than double that, teardowns on smartphones show sourcing OLED screens are ~$75 per so yeah there's no way the thing is more than $600 in actual parts; they aren't subsidizing poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Gear VR was $100 so internal non-screen parts for the rift can't be more than double that, teardowns on smartphones show sourcing OLED screens are ~$75 per so yeah there's no way the thing is more than $600 in actual parts; they aren't subsidizing poo poo

yeah clearly nobody in Facebook corporate believes in the dumb little VR project zuckerberg bought. sure sell them at slightly cost, but we aren't taking a loss on a single unit

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Bhodi posted:

well idk but gear VR is pretty much just a gyroscope, two lovely lenses and input. the rift is gyroscopes, two custom high-res high refresh rate screens, way better lenses, pretty decent 3D headphones, and probably other stuff i'm forgetting. it's not gear vr + a screen, that's the DK2

they also had to design all that so i'm assuming that's included

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Al! posted:

yeah clearly nobody in Facebook corporate believes in the dumb little VR project zuckerberg bought. sure sell them at slightly cost, but we aren't taking a loss on a single unit
more like "thanks to ebay selling DK2s at $600 for a year straight our projections show we can comfortably sell out 6 months worth of production in the first day priced at $600" which is exactly what is happening, day 1 orders sold out in 14 minutes and they're already in May for preorders

there is zero business reason to provide a discount if you can't produce enough units to take advantage of larger sales, fans don't want to hear it but what the market will bear and all that

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

my order is for April, we'll see what happens. maybe the heat death of the universe will have occurred by then, or Trump will take power in a coup and we'll hit the Great Filter

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Blackula69 posted:

we'll hit the Great Filter

is this when we're all forced through a fine wire mesh?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

because id prefer that to trump control

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

more like "thanks to ebay selling DK2s at $600 for a year straight our projections show we can comfortably sell out 6 months worth of production in the first day priced at $600" which is exactly what is happening, day 1 orders sold out in 14 minutes and they're already in May for preorders

there is zero business reason to provide a discount if you can't produce enough units to take advantage of larger sales, fans don't want to hear it but what the market will bear and all that

oculus was bought for 2 bil, this is a quiet attempt to keep shareholders happy they will never make that much by selling an already niche peripheral at prices that only the niche will pay

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Liver Disaster posted:

because id prefer that to trump control

do not question the Trumpocracy, citizen

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

given the huge number of planets across the galaxy, we should be able to see signs of extraterrestrial life - especially those species more advanced than us on the Kardashev scale. Because we can't, one of the theories is that there is a natural barrier to the long-term survival of intelligent life - the great filter that prevents any advanced society from progressing far enough to harness the full power of their sun (and beyond)

basically, maybe all intelligent life is a bunch of petty assholes like humans so they inevitably destroy themselves by global thermonuclear holocaust or something similar before being able to evolve

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you can just call them reapers if you like

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Al! posted:

oculus was bought for 2 bil, this is a quiet attempt to keep shareholders happy they will never make that much by selling an already niche peripheral at prices that only the niche will pay
depends on if palmer luckey releases pre-sales figures in his reddit AMA tonight. if they're really low like they only have 10k units you're probably right, if they're a hundred thousand units that's a clear sign of engaged market share beyond a niche product

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

given the huge number of planets across the galaxy, we should be able to see signs of extraterrestrial life - especially those species more advanced than us on the Kardashev scale. Because we can't, one of the theories is that there is a natural barrier to the long-term survival of intelligent life - the great filter that prevents any advanced society from progressing far enough to harness the full power of their sun (and beyond)

basically, maybe all intelligent life is a bunch of petty assholes like humans so they inevitably destroy themselves by global thermonuclear holocaust or something similar before being able to evolve

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Bhodi posted:

depends on if palmer luckey releases pre-sales figures in his reddit AMA tonight. if they're really low like they only have 10k units you're probably right, if they're a hundred thousand units that's a clear sign of engaged market share beyond a niche product

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Blackula69 posted:

close enough, still better than trumpocracy

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Kenny Logins posted:

canada: a place with no culture of its own except that which is ripped off from the united states, which also has no culture of its own

This isn't fair.

Our culture *is* desperately trying to differentiate ourselves from americans by buying specific lovely donuts and lovely coffee in the morning and similarly lovely beer in the evening because literally our only defining trait is that we have more different companies who don't just ignore our worthless market like most of the smart american companies.

so it's not that we have no culture, it's that our culture is a poo poo culture defined by a beer commercial from the 90s.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
we shall become a trumpocratic nation and those like myself who helped usher it into existence shall be greatly rewarded

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ZShakespeare posted:

This isn't fair.

Our culture *is* desperately trying to differentiate ourselves from americans by buying specific lovely donuts and lovely coffee in the morning and similarly lovely beer in the evening because literally our only defining trait is that we have more different companies who don't just ignore our worthless market like most of the smart american companies.

so it's not that we have no culture, it's that our culture is a poo poo culture defined by a beer commercial from the 90s.
:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

This isn't fair.

our culture is also Anglos being incredibly self-centred and entirely ignorant of francophone and indigenous culture

and petty regionalism

• Locked thread