Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Doronin posted:

I was wondering the exact same thing, especially after my second viewing. I had a lot of similar thoughts on that, but it would be a real paradigm shift, for sure.

The biggest question, however, is who would Obi Wan have procreated with? The only real hint I'm aware of, within the current canon, that he had romantic entanglements is during Clone Wars, when he teams up with Mandalorian Duchess Satine, and apparently they loved one another. Maybe he eventually let himself give in to a woman at some point?
The only way I see it working is with some clone trickery. Obi Wan died 35-40 years before Rey was born and the reveal would lose a lot of its impact if she was the granddaughter. It superficially parallels Kylo Ren, sure, but Kylo also had notable parents between himself and his grandfather. Part of what makes Kylo Ren interesting is the interactions of the three generations. Who are Rey's parents, then? What does her parentage tell us about Obi-Wan?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

My observations of the movie.

Your own personal observations do not create objective fact. While the Starkiller Base is compared to a Death Star, it is never called a Death Star or Death Star-class.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jivjov posted:

So you're deliberately being confusing and mucking up actual discussion? Why?

You just learned that now?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also star killer base is not a planet as per any modern definition of planet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Noam Chomsky posted:

Star Wars: Trolls Trolling Trolls Trolling Trolls

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Your own personal observations do not create objective fact. While the Starkiller Base is compared to a Death Star, it is never called a Death Star or Death Star-class.

It's never not called it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

There's no indication in the movie that they want Luke's help specifically because of the Death Star. If it was, they even undermined their point since they destroyed the Giant Death Star fairly easily without Luke's help.

That's why delaying its introduction until the second movie would've been better, since at least we'd spend more than 2 minutes with Luke before the movie ended.

Would the film have been better if, after every scene unvolving BB8, a character says "I must capture/protect/destroy you because you have Luke's location, which I desire, because Luke has destroyed deathstars, which I want to happen or not happen", Clickhole style? What happened to reading movies?

Yeah, they blew up the planet death star, because they found someone who could help them do it, which is why finding luke stops being the first priority. A major theme of the movie is the new generation stepping into the previous generations' shoes. Finn and Rey finish their arcs when they admit to themselves that Luke is no longer the Luke of the universe, they are the Lukes of the Resistance.

Similarly, you must eventually accept that the new trilogy is the trilogy of this generation, and stop trying to find weird reasons to declare superiority of your dated trilogy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Also star killer base is not a planet as per any modern definition of planet.

That's no moon, it's a dwarf planet!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

Would the film have been better if, after every scene unvolving BB8, a character says "I must capture/protect/destroy you because you have Luke's location, which I desire, because Luke has destroyed deathstars, which I want to happen or not happen", Clickhole style? What happened to reading movies?

It would've been nice to hear it once.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
HOW IS GRAVITY NORMAL ON STARKILLER BASE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

dexters diner is the most egregious thing in the prequels. My problem with it is not that a diner exists in star wars, but that it was realized as an Earth 50s diner including an alien wearing strangely earth like clothing and robots modeled after 50s diner waitresses.

More than any of the other films, I think, AOTC goes really direct to the source for its pulp sci-fi imagery. You've got the diner, you've got the noiresque parts of Coruscant in the opening chase, you've got the big art deco cruiser that gets blown up at the start, you have the Kaminoans as Greys (they were a deliberate homage to the aliens in Close Encounters), you have bug men and a Harryhausen monster arena fight. The Republic even has maser tanks like in the Godzilla series.

Since Star Wars has always been Flash Gordon action to me this poo poo is cool.

Plus, on a certain level a lot of the appeal of Star Wars has been the stuff in the background that you're not sure what it is. From the start it dropped us into a universe and explained only as much as we needed to know, everything else was just cool spacey things. This not only made it accessible, it ensured that fans would fixate on the weirdness and wonder what stories were attached to the Hammerhead alien, the spider thing in Jabba's palace, the guy with the ice cream maker, etc. A certain amount of ornate splendor is expected.

We don't get quite as much of this in TFA but there were some bits I liked- the giant pig rules, you've got the space monsters Han is smuggling, Space Casablanca, etc. Abrams was maybe a little more fixated on the foreground than he should have been.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

It would've been nice to hear it once.

I agree, but I disagree that it is a glaring structural flaw.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

Again, Luke isn't being sought just so he can blow up Starkiller Base. Leia has something greater and more important for him to accomplish.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Again, Luke isn't being sought just so he can blow up Starkiller Base. Leia has something greater and more important for him to accomplish.

It seemed to me that Leia was more concerned about Luke undoing what went wrong with him and Kylo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Man I think she just wanted to find her brother

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, it is a major structural flaw if your reading is "that's the primary reason everyone wants Luke".

What I got from the movie is that Kylo Ren & Snoke want Luke so they can destroy the last vestiges of the Light, while Leia wants Luke because the Dark Side is acting up again (especially with her only son leading the charge) and she needs him. The Starkiller Base stuff is ancillary to all of that.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Like I said before, I that Starkiller base, while unnecessary, is only a problem in that the runtime it takes up would have been better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, and again, that's why I don't oppose having another Death Star-like, just that this movie really didn't need it.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 6, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Like I said before, I think that Starkiller base, while unnecessary, is only a problem in that the runtime it takes up would have been better spent elsewhere.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hemale in pain posted:

Man I think she just wanted to find her brother

Lord Krangdar posted:

It seemed to me that Leia was more concerned about Luke undoing what went wrong with him and Kylo.

What about "gain[ing] his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

It's never not called it.

One person in the briefing room at the Resistance Base says "it's another Death Star" and is immediately corrected.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

One person in the briefing room at the Resistance Base says "it's another Death Star" and is immediately corrected.

Only with "It's totally bigger".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Turning Kylo back to the their side would have helped that cause, of course. But the rest of the film didn't really sell that as her primary motivation WRT Luke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

Only with "It's totally bigger".

And the fact that it was built into a planet, not a wholly artificial space station.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Krangdar posted:

Turning Kylo back to the their side would have helped that cause, of course. But the rest of the film didn't really sell that as her primary motivation WRT Luke.

It's in the opening crawl. I don't think it's contradicted by what Leia says or does, but then again she's in the film so little that there's a missed opportunity for her to talk about her motivations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

jivjov posted:

They aren't corrected, theyre elaborated upon. Its totes the death star, even thr characters are aware of this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Starkiller base does show us what's become of the galaxy in his absence, but since we don't really know what's become of Luke or what he's been up to in the 30 years since we saw him last, we're not left with much understanding of how bringing him back is going to make things a lot better. I could certainly be sold on Luke still being the galaxy's only hope, but the movie doesn't do the necessary footwork to establish that. Maybe if we didn't take an hour long detour to blow up Death Star 3 they could have.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov dude it's a death star

it might also be helpful for you to know that death stars aren't stars they're just called that

oh except for this one it actually was a star, literally, it also killed stars and is called the starkiller

it is the truest death star

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

The Starkiller base does show us what's become of the galaxy in his absence, but since we don't really know what's become of Luke or what he's been up to in the 30 years since we saw him last, we're not left with much understanding of how bringing him back is going to make things a lot better. I could certainly be sold on Luke still being the galaxy's only hope, but the movie doesn't do the necessary footwork to establish that. Maybe if we didn't take an hour long detour to blow up Death Star 3 they could have.

We don't really need the movie to tell us that though cause we got 3 other movies telling us Luke is super cool and good at blowing poo poo up and murdering Sith.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

jivjov dude it's a death star

it might also be helpful for you to know that death stars aren't stars they're just called that

oh except for this one it actually was a star, literally, it also killed stars and is called the starkiller

it is the truest death star

It's a superweapon. At no point is it definitively called "a Death Star" except by one person who is immediately corrected.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Jesus Christ jivjov ...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hemale in pain posted:

We don't really need the movie to tell us that though cause we got 3 other movies telling us Luke is super cool and good at blowing poo poo up and murdering Sith.

Dude's like 60 now though, he's not going to be getting back into an X-Wing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah but by all appearances Luke is a loving loser now. He inadvertently rounded up a bunch of the galaxy's best and brightest force adepts into a big Darkside honeypot and got them murdered. He's a hobo living alone in cave out of shame. He should be ashamed. That's all we know about Luke here in 2016 (34 aby)

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

euphronius posted:

Tfa is so different from Lucas Star Wars I don't know if you'll ever get a consistent correlation.

Gotta love how many people react with "it's a copy of A New Hope!!" and then you get this

But then again euphronius's opinions on everything have been really pretty crazy in general

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neurolimal posted:

The main quest in TFA is finding someone who can stop the First Order before they cause a new Alderaan-level catastrophe. That is why the latter half of the movie focuses on Starkiller instead if ignoring it to find Luke.

The search was a pre-emptive measure to find someone who has stopped a doomsday weapon multiple times. The search unofficially ends after they find someone capable of stopping the doomsday weapon.

False.

The main quest of TFA is dictated by the level playing field created when the FO nuked the Republic, leaving the old Resistance (with some new recruits) versus the new First Order (with Snoke, the oldest person, in charge).

The Resistance has to recruit younger people to stop the First Order before they die off, and the First Order has to stop the Resistance from letting Luke train a new class of Jedi to oppose their powerful dark Jedi, and stop their growth.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hemale in pain posted:

It's interesting to note that the other occurrence of the phrase "restore peace and justice to the galaxy" in the Star Wars films is as part of Palpatine's response to Anakin's killing of the Separatist council. The use of it there is satirical (Palpatine himself embodies galactic conflict and injustice) and suggests that killing the bad guys is not enough, or perhaps is completely incorrect!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

computer parts posted:

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah but by all appearances Luke is a loving loser now. He inadvertently rounded up a bunch of the galaxy's best and brightest force adepts into a big Darkside honeypot and got them murdered. He's a hobo living alone in cave out of shame. He should be ashamed. That's all we know about Luke here in 2016 (34 aby)

We.. we need a training montage!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

True. Which is why Han never got back in a freighter and eyeballed light-speed suborbital entry to a super weapon. Or why Vader near his fifties or so didn't personally fly a specia TIE fighter.

Maybe Luke won't but of all the things Star Wars deems implausible, an older gentleman flying a star fighter isn't it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's interesting to note that the other occurrence of the phrase "restore peace and justice to the galaxy" in the Star Wars films is as part of Palpatine's response to Anakin's killing of the Separatist council. The use of it there is satirical (Palpatine himself embodies galactic conflict and injustice) and suggests that killing the bad guys is not enough, or perhaps is completely incorrect!

Isn't "guardians of peace and justice" like the Jedi motto? Palps is laying a sick :iceburn: on the Jedi, like always.

Palpatine constantly dunking on the Jedi, the Senate, and everyone he encounters is one element of the prequels that everyone should be able to appreciate regardless of their feelings about them overall. Even RLM gives Palpatine his due.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 6, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I liked the desert > forest > forest in a desert progression in TFA, and the yellow Jakku > transitional green Takodana > blue Starkiller. Jakku is a wasteland and a graveyard, then Rey is briefly transplanted into the teeming garden of Takodana, where the Force "awakens" in her. She is moved again to a wasteland (Starkiller), but this time to one that supports life and the Force.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
At least since they blew up a death star in this movie we shouldn't have to deal with another one in the next two movies, right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

At least since they blew up a death star in this movie we shouldn't have to deal with another one in the next two movies, right??

Death Planet, please use words correctly

• Locked thread