Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My recommendation these days is to drive whenever possible. Road trips are fun, more relaxing, and you get to see some great scenery (especially if you shy away from the interstates).

Obviously there's situations where driving just isn't feasible but there's plenty where it's totally doable.. assuming you can afford the extra vacation and hotel stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well, if we'd driven up to our wedding, I could have brought back all my old LEGO in bins... :(

Alas. Next time, perhaps, when the roads are better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

My recommendation these days is to drive whenever possible. Road trips are fun, more relaxing, and you get to see some great scenery (especially if you shy away from the interstates).

Obviously there's situations where driving just isn't feasible but there's plenty where it's totally doable.. assuming you can afford the extra vacation and hotel stays.

Driving across the Atlantic is quite difficult in this day and age, unfortunately.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I had the "whenever possible" qualifier.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
With the right pieces you can build a car that can drive across the Atlantic. Use your imagination! MOCs are the heart of LEGO anyway.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The Nexo Knight horse-cycle might be my new favorite lego set at the moment. The build is pretty fun for a $20 set and the transforming feature is awesome. Both modes are sturdy and look like they could be their own standalone set and you can switch between them in like 20 seconds. Probably grabbing the sword tank or the King mech next if I can find one in stores around here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi lego thread! Never posted here despite being absolutely obsessed with lego as a kid. I had tubs and tubs of it in storage, but there was always one weird kit I had that I could never quite figure out. It was made out of light blue bricks none of my friends had ever seen. Everything about the kit seemed weird, I almost thought it was a knock-off.

I was in a drug store with my mom one day as kids dragged shopping generally are. This store didn't really sell toys, but they had a few little things on the counter. One of them was a strange blue and gray lego truck that I had never seen, and I was the kid who would pour over the catalogs and know ever kit. Over a series of months I'd ask if I could have this truck every time we went in or we walked past. Finally they relented and got me this weird kit.

A thread on lovely ebay collectors and "rare items" got me thinking about this truck, so I researched it and found it's this:
https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=1651-2#T=S&O={}

Those prices are loving insane. I don't have the box or instructions, and I think most of my stickers have fallen off so I doubt it's worth much. It's just nice to have the mystery solved. How this little drug store in Canada got some super rare not-for-sale promotional container truck I have no idea. I didn't even understand what it was when I was a kid, had no idea what a shipping container was since we have no railroads where I live. Funny enough I'm now into model trains and really really love anything about shipping containers. I guess I loved containers since a child!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

Hi lego thread! Never posted here despite being absolutely obsessed with lego as a kid. I had tubs and tubs of it in storage, but there was always one weird kit I had that I could never quite figure out. It was made out of light blue bricks none of my friends had ever seen. Everything about the kit seemed weird, I almost thought it was a knock-off.

I was in a drug store with my mom one day as kids dragged shopping generally are. This store didn't really sell toys, but they had a few little things on the counter. One of them was a strange blue and gray lego truck that I had never seen, and I was the kid who would pour over the catalogs and know ever kit. Over a series of months I'd ask if I could have this truck every time we went in or we walked past. Finally they relented and got me this weird kit.

A thread on lovely ebay collectors and "rare items" got me thinking about this truck, so I researched it and found it's this:

Those prices are loving insane. I don't have the box or instructions, and I think most of my stickers have fallen off so I doubt it's worth much. It's just nice to have the mystery solved. How this little drug store in Canada got some super rare not-for-sale promotional container truck I have no idea. I didn't even understand what it was when I was a kid, had no idea what a shipping container was since we have no railroads where I live. Funny enough I'm now into model trains and really really love anything about shipping containers. I guess I loved containers since a child!

That's a fun truck, my family had a business around the seaport so we'd see those trailers all over the place.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That's pretty awesome, that's a neat set. If you ever get tempted back into Lego, this set sounds like it would be right up your alley.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/10219_Maersk_Container_Train

:getin:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Alright, which one of you is this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Is that the new Bank modular?

Also, as a result of getting the Firehouse and adding my current points, I am about about 63 pence away from £40/$40.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Is that the new Bank modular?

Also, as a result of getting the Firehouse and adding my current points, I am about about 63 pence away from £40/$40.

Yes, it is. And yeah, I have £65 in points now from all my recent purchases. I'll probably save them a little bit more and get the next Creator Expert vehicle with them. Has their been any rumours about that by the way?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Alright, which one of you is this?

I love the happy as hell expression that clearly has nothing to do with the ride.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Holy crap, 1960s Batcave, complete with 1960s Batmobile

http://brickset.com/article/18587/our-first-look-at-76052-batman-classic-tv-series-batcave

:aaaaa:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I am really, really hoping that's part of a larger theme. I know it won't be, because every notable character and vehicle is in the one set. But I can dream god damnit. What price point do we reckon? I'm gonna say £130 min.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lego has clearly realized they can just come up with their own nostalgia licensed themes on their own without having to go through the Ideas song-and-dance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is lego so expensive? Has the cost of what ever special plastic they make gone way up, or is it weird-beard adult collectors turning a cool kid's building brick system into a bunch of over-priced nostalgia-fueled "collectibles" based on tons of expensive IP licenses??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Downside is the ideas version would use four times the pieces and look so badass nothing less will be good enough.

As for price, I think if you factor in inflation and all that, Lego is actually cheaper than it's ever been. The issue is that all the other toys have gotten even cheaper than that (which is why they're all lovely).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Baronjutter posted:

Why is lego so expensive? Has the cost of what ever special plastic they make gone way up, or is it weird-beard adult collectors turning a cool kid's building brick system into a bunch of over-priced nostalgia-fueled "collectibles" based on tons of expensive IP licenses??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics

It's always been a toy that sells sets at various price levels - some are basic, smaller sets, which are probably produced in higher numbers. Premium sets are more complex, and have more pieces, and likely have lower production numbers.

Engineering, production, licensing - all figures in. But, at the end of the day, people are buying tons of their product at the prices they set.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Also it's not the plastic so much as the molds. The molds are incredibly precise and expensive to replace. New pieces tend to come at a premium, and licensed sets are usually where those debut.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, once it gets above $200, I don't think Lego cares that much about keeping the price to a specific point, other than not going over $350.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
LEGO pieces are produced to an extremely narrow tolerance, far more precise than anything else I've heard of in the toy market. That level of precision comes at a price.

You want to see really ridiculous prices for little plastic things, check out Games Workshop.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

It's not that expensive when you consider how long it lasts.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Also near limitless replayability. Look at how much lego is still out there and being used vs old action figures from 20+ years ago. As a kid I spent hundreds of hours building lego stuff. Other toys were a mere fraction of time compared to that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I better have some kids to extend the use-value of my lego hoard then!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Licensing fees can be pretty crazy at times, and so they have to factor that in when making licensed sets. The non-licensed sets, such as, say, Ninjago and Nexo Knights, give you a shitload more for an equivalent price, often a 1.5-2:1 ratio versus licensed sets.

Also, jesus christ that batcave

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does the batcopter have a supply of shark repellent?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Baronjutter posted:

I have a (very soon to be) 6-year old nephew whose minifigures are about 1-2 years old. Those guys are worn.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It begins.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Red posted:

I have a (very soon to be) 6-year old nephew whose minifigures are about 1-2 years old. Those guys are worn.

I used to play with my guys in the sand a ton. I don't understand how any of them are still alive.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Sets I got for Christmas and need to put together:

Millennium Falcon
Scooby Doo Haunted Lighthouse
Arctic Base
Detective's Office
Palace Cinema

My wife tends to go overboard, and my thumbs are going to be so sore.

Followup report:

The Detective's Office is a great display piece, but suffers as a playset. The rooms on each floor are extremely small, and if you have large hands (like I do) it's next to impossible to place minifigs inside. But since I buy the creator sets for display, this is fine. The cookie smuggling story contained in the set is really, really cool.

The Palace Cinema is also really cool looking as a display. The interior is fairly boring, but I had heard this from other people and expected it. The highlight of the build was putting together the Palace sign. Really neat. I was surprised to find that it had stickers, but none of them were difficult to put on. The hardest part was lining up the two sides of the marquee, but even that wasn't particularly bad. The stickers for the movie posters were easy to put on and look fine.

The Arctic Base is simple to assemble but a neat set. Nothing spectacular, but probably the best set I got for playing with my kids. Plus, I love polar bears.

The Millenium Falcon was good, but had some stickers that really frustrated me. There are two engine stickers that go on the inside of the set, are near each other, and are supposed to mirror each other. It's bloody hard enough to center one of the circle stickers, but to center it AND line it up so it sits straight when connected to other bricks? Near impossible. I came close, but it still bugs me a bit.

The Haunted Lighthouse is actually my favorite of the new sets. The stickers weren't as bad as the Mystery Machine. Great playability. But above all, the set LOOKS like a set from the original cartoon. There's a cool hidden spot under the top of the lighthouse, and the skull that swings out of the way is really cool. I wasn't expecting it, but I think this one is going to go on display year-round. I also have the Haunted Mansion, which I consider a Halloween-only display set. I definitely like the lighthouse more.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of lego bricks that are just various "bat-object" labels.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Light Gun Man posted:

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of lego stickers that are just various "bat-object" labels.

Fixed

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Arctic Base is simple to assemble but a neat set. Nothing spectacular, but probably the best set I got for playing with my kids. Plus, I love polar bears.

Agreed.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Thats one way to take down an AT-AT!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Baronjutter posted:

Or just live another 20 years or so and keep messing with them on your own. I dunno if you've ever been to a LEGO convention, but most of that poo poo ain't built by children. (Independently wealthy white men, mostly.)

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

New, non-licensed Lego is basically the same price per piece (about 10 cents) as it was 25 years ago. In that time the price level (i.e. how much stuff in general costs) has doubled. Individual sets are often more expensive because they contain more pieces than they used to.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

While the stickers would probably bump the value up some, the real value are in the super-rare pieces it has. 4x Maersk blue 1x2 hinge bricks ($20 for a complete hinge), 1 Maersk blue left door ($30)...some of the pieces don't even have a price history on BL. There's no priceguide data apart from those 4 sellers, and I can't find any sales history outside BL, but if you can find a buyer...maybe $400, since no one's biting at the $500+ prices on BL.
Maersk stuff was always uncommon until very recently with the release of the train and the newest container ship.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I hadn't realised the new Creator Corner Deli was so cheap (only £27.99/$39.99). I've bought all the Babby's First Modulars so far, and this is a really nicely priced one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Holy license to print money Batman... that batcave is going to seel so well.

I'm still torn on whether or not to get the firehouse. I love everything about it, but I just can't justify that ultimately I'll build once (this is the bit I enjoy), look at every now and then, but will mostly be gathering dust.