Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Oberleutnant posted:

Did you see the gov statement over new year about how May is "concerned" about people on trains wearing headphones instead of being vigilant for terrorists? There was something else equally ridiculous too.

Wait, what?
e: 1540 Henry VIII of England marries his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves.

Poison Jam fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly, leaving the EU could be good for Labour (even though Labour would never argue for it), simply because it would most likely end or severly reduce immigration as an issue in the public conciousness, and would cause enough economic damage that the Tories credibility would be damaged. Wether it's a good idea is another matter, but if it did happen it would benefit labour, I believe.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

Honestly, leaving the EU could be good for Labour (even though Labour would never argue for it), simply because it would most likely end or severly reduce immigration as an issue in the public conciousness, and would cause enough economic damage that the Tories credibility would be damaged. Wether it's a good idea is another matter, but if it did happen it would benefit labour, I believe.

I'd love to see what happens if we pull out, tell the rest of the EU to bog off, they obviously do the same in return, and so all the UKIPers' aunts and uncles and whatever that retired to Spain or France are forced to come back home.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Nothing like a disaster to bring people together on the Left. A good genocide ought to do it as well.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

Wait, what?
e: Henry VIII of England marries his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves.

Will try to dig it up once i finish work

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Poison Jam posted:

Wait, what?
Oh man, I hadn't heard of this either but it's good.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/02/mobile-and-headphone-use-in-public-a-barrier-to-terror-alertness

quote:

Official guidance is for people to be “alert but not alarmed” at the threat from terrorism, but Lady Neville-Jones suggested citizens were not as vigilant as they could be.

“I think being alert is very important. I am alarmed by the number of people I see wandering along the street entirely engaged in their mobile telephones and with their ears plugged into music and they are not aware of their surroundings. You need to be aware of your surroundings,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “You do have to take some personal responsibility.”

This seems to get perilously close to blaming victims for not spotting terrorists ahead of time. Certainly, England has a problem with not being suspicious enough of anybody who looks terrorist-y and we need to make sure this is addressed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So the labour party imploded while I was a work then?

More excuses to go for FULL IDEOLOGICAL PURITY in the cabinet.

TACD posted:

This seems to get perilously close to blaming victims for not spotting terrorists ahead of time. Certainly, England has a problem with not being suspicious enough of anybody who looks terrorist-y and we need to make sure this is addressed.

If you are not walking around with your hand on your katana at all times I don't know what to tell you.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad the free thinkers of the thread have decreed that Labour needs to go UKIP on immigration and Tory on everything else. Then we can get the party Britain needs in 2020.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Be constantly on the verge of making GBS threads yourself on the tube but don't go through with it. Constantly have the turtle poke it's head out but don't let him leave a mark.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

TACD posted:

This seems to get perilously close to blaming victims for not spotting terrorists ahead of time.

I'd argue that is actually worse than this, especially when you take into account a particular clause from the Investigatory Powers Bill.

The clause in question is defining what a Bulk Personal Dataset is, which is the thing the spooks want to collect on all of us. It is any collection of personal data, where the

quote:

“majority of the individuals are not, and are unlikely to become, of interest to the intelligence service” (Clause 150(1)(b) of the Bill).

So on the one hand the spooks are admitting they want all your data even though they know you'll almost certainly never be a threat, but on the other hand they want to start disseminating the idea that it is us who should be vigilant for signs of terrorists, rather than the security services.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Did you see the gov statement over new year about how May is "concerned" about people on trains wearing headphones instead of being vigilant for terrorists? There was something else equally ridiculous too.
:lol: I did not see that but I can believe it. How far do they have to go before the whole security über alles thing becomes a parody of itself and gets thrown out?

TACD posted:

But I don't even know what a terrorist looks like. I hope they release some not-racist information telling me what to be alert for.

OwlFancier posted:

If you are not walking around with your hand on your katana at all times I don't know what to tell you.
Less of this illegal sedition. Straight British short swords only. Bonus points if it has a royal cypher on the hilt so you can shout "Clean with the Queen" while you stab a terrified Indian who is putting his backpack on a train rack.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not with my diet.

Edit: thread moved fast, so long context

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm glad the free thinkers of the thread have decreed that Labour needs to go UKIP on immigration and Tory on everything else. Then we can get the party Britain needs in 2020.

Before Corbyn they were talking about having to attract the Waitrose shopper and Cooper, Burnham and Kendall were trying to out tory each other. There's no hope.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The far right of Europe must be so jealous of our choice of 3! Far right parties! Do you hate "those people" A) A bit B) A lot C) ARRRGLLELELEL loving JEWS/MUSLIMS/MUSLIM JEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A party for every outlook.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not with my diet.

Edit: thread moved fast, so long context
You can intimidate people that don't look like you on any diet.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Before Corbyn they were talking about having to attract the Waitrose shopper and Cooper, Burnham and Kendall were trying to out tory each other. There's no hope.
Loyalty cards and free substitution of a totally unrelated policy if they don't have the one you want in stock?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Regarde Aduck posted:

The far right of Europe must be so jealous of our choice of 3! Far right parties! Do you hate "those people" A) A bit B) A lot C) ARRRGLLELELEL loving JEWS/MUSLIMS/MUSLIM JEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our far right parties are much much less bad than most of those elsewhere in Europe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Less of this illegal sedition. Straight British short swords only. Bonus points if it has a royal cypher on the hilt so you can shout "Clean with the Queen" while you stab a terrified Indian who is putting his backpack on a train rack.

Sorry, hands on Seaxes then. Which are DEFINITELY NOT GERMAN LIKE OUR GLORIOUS ROYAL FAMILY ARE NOT EITHER.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I remain disappointed that no one has vandalised the "Seax House" sign in Chelmsford yet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry, hands on Seaxes then. Which are DEFINITELY NOT GERMAN LIKE OUR GLORIOUS ROYAL FAMILY ARE NOT EITHER.

Pah get away with your foreign nonsense. Proper artisanal sickles and druid costumes for all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I remain disappointed that no one has vandalised the "Seax House" sign in Chelmsford yet.

If you go up into Northumberland there's a little village called Shilbottle to whose road sign some enterprising individual has added the pertinent horizontal line.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

OwlFancier posted:

If you go up into Northumberland there's a little village called Shilbottle to whose road sign some enterprising individual has added the pertinent horizontal line.

Always used to laugh at that whenever I took the Alnwick to Newcastle bus as a kid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's also a small village near where I live called Sexhow which would benefit from becoming an interrogative.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I lived near a Southall Road that got changed to SourBalls Road. Always appreciated the creativity

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There's a place called Bellend Farm.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Why do you think the people doing (2) would register it as a problem? They lost the election so they're out to overthrow the leader, it's open warfare. As the great philosopher Kendall once said

They're not interested in having a debate within the party, they want to get their way. Even if it means tanking Labour for another election cycle, apparently. Supporting the tories is just another facet of that, because a) they're not far off the tories in a lot of ways, and that's why b) they're very comfortable saying 'those guys are right, and Corbyn is wrong' to undermine him and further their goal of controlling the party. It's not a problem, it's just business

I don't really expect them to. They've given few signs of doing so so far. I think one of the best things Corbyn could do right now is reform internal party procedures such that they don't have a choice because they don't have the ability to impose their will on the membership, but how and whether that's possible goes beyond my knowledge of the Labour Party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

What do they grow there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bellend Peppers presumably.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

Could not confirm.

Did you mean Low Bell End Farm?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Hahahaha nice!

What would make "Seax House" all the funnier is that it's the central ECC building that houses the Social Workers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Angus Robertson asked a good PMQ.

David Cameron LIED HIS loving TITS OFF in response.

It's disgusting that he gets away with this.

E: I mean, I really am forced to wonder whether he's even aware of the realities of the Junior Doctors' contract, or whether he's just believing the spin Hunt is spinning.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 6, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dead Goon posted:

Could not confirm.

Did you mean Low Bell End Farm?

And you people call me a pedant.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Angus Robertson asked a good PMQ.

David Cameron LIED HIS loving TITS OFF in response.

It's disgusting that he gets away with this.

E: I mean, I really am forced to wonder whether he's even aware of the realities of the Junior Doctors' contract, or whether he's just believing the spin Hunt is spinning.

David Cameron said he was worried about his children being unable to get on the housing ladder and then didn't stop to think about how this might sound to people who don't have parents with four houses and millions of pounds.

I don't think he's able to see outside of his own experience. Nae empathy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

A party for every outlook.

Unrelated, but is your username a pun on the French for 'two faced'?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

If so, it'd be more British if he was Dwayne Bog :cryingdragon:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I just always thought they were really keen on ducks. Because ducks rule all.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gonzo McFee posted:

David Cameron said he was worried about his children being unable to get on the housing ladder and then didn't stop to think about how this might sound to people who don't have parents with four houses and millions of pounds.

Possibly it's paranoia from reading Jon Ronson's book, but he may actually be a psychopath.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Possibly it's paranoia from reading Jon Ronson's book, but he may actually be a psychopath.

He's a Tory, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or an idiot.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Alternatively, he's just bullshitting. "I, too, am a parent with parental concerns. I understand your worries, huddled masses".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Or an idiot.

He's a Tory, yes.

• Locked thread